Hard to find more compliments than already written, but what a truly wonderful piece of paradise! The rooms are well designed and effortlessly tie luxury to the natural world. We stayed the the Sea Grape Hut and will miss the cozy, peaceful serenity for a long time to come. Don't be bothered by the warnings for bug spray and secure footware. Mosquitos were rare and the paths were not at all "treacherous." Perhaps a bit uneven, and maybe not for barefeet, but quite easy to negotiate. However, do bring those surf shoes so you can enjoy the water and the quiet little beach. Outstanding views, comfortable accomodations and a wonderful eco-philosophy aside, the staff alone deserves 5-stars! Everyone was just so welcoming and willing to answer any questions and assist whenever needed. (Special hi to Jolene -- not a staff member -- but a great ambassador for Jamaica!)
Do try to stay a Saturday to catch the wonderful evening performance. Or if staying elsewhere come for dinner and the show.
Depending on your stay, you should spend a few days without leaving the property to just enjoy relaxing. But if you are a "goer" then you haven't picked a better spot than this side of the island. The Portland area is absolutely gorgeous, safe and friendly. Get to know the route taxi system -- basically cars with red license plates driving on the main road and stopping when flagged. Not expensive and they are always plentiful. But where to take the taxi? Reach Falls is not to be missed, what a wonderful waterfall that you can swim around, into and under (you'll see what I mean when I go.) Several good swimming beaches (we liked Frenchman's Cove and Winnifred) are nearby. And if you want to venture outside Great Huts and/or the Jerk Center for dinning options, there are many good ones ranging from casual to high-end.
Great Huts is more than just a place to stay while on vacation, Great Huts is part of what will make your vacation special. Don't hesitate, go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The Africana House, a Rastafari Mansion by the Sea with high ceilings and Ethiopian-inspired decor throughout, has a spacious communal room, four regal bedrooms, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop deck and a lotus-shaped deep water pool, resting atop five acres braided with intriguing caves and hiking trails. Great Huts is perfect for the adventurer in all of us, an intimate yet communal getaway or a secluded corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio