“Great Huts is the place for happiness!”
Review of Great Huts

Great Huts
Ranked #1 of 29 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Hard to find more compliments than already written, but what a truly wonderful piece of paradise! The rooms are well designed and effortlessly tie luxury to the natural world. We stayed the the Sea Grape Hut and will miss the cozy, peaceful serenity for a long time to come. Don't be bothered by the warnings for bug spray and secure footware. Mosquitos were rare and the paths were not at all "treacherous." Perhaps a bit uneven, and maybe not for barefeet, but quite easy to negotiate. However, do bring those surf shoes so you can enjoy the water and the quiet little beach. Outstanding views, comfortable accomodations and a wonderful eco-philosophy aside, the staff alone deserves 5-stars! Everyone was just so welcoming and willing to answer any questions and assist whenever needed. (Special hi to Jolene -- not a staff member -- but a great ambassador for Jamaica!)

Do try to stay a Saturday to catch the wonderful evening performance. Or if staying elsewhere come for dinner and the show.

Depending on your stay, you should spend a few days without leaving the property to just enjoy relaxing. But if you are a "goer" then you haven't picked a better spot than this side of the island. The Portland area is absolutely gorgeous, safe and friendly. Get to know the route taxi system -- basically cars with red license plates driving on the main road and stopping when flagged. Not expensive and they are always plentiful. But where to take the taxi? Reach Falls is not to be missed, what a wonderful waterfall that you can swim around, into and under (you'll see what I mean when I go.) Several good swimming beaches (we liked Frenchman's Cove and Winnifred) are nearby. And if you want to venture outside Great Huts and/or the Jerk Center for dinning options, there are many good ones ranging from casual to high-end.

Great Huts is more than just a place to stay while on vacation, Great Huts is part of what will make your vacation special. Don't hesitate, go.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank goandgoandgo
There are newer reviews for Great Huts

Reviewed 20 November 2010

Great Huts was a fantastic place to stay for an experience that is out of the ordinary. We were met by the owner when we arrived and later had great conversations into the evening and the staff was helpful. We stayed in the 'Almond Tree House' and found it comfortable on a rainy night. The sound of the rain on the palm leaf roof and the near by surf in the bay was soothing to hear while falling to sleep.
The next morning we wandered about the property and visited the water front. The area was well kept and they continue to expand the 'hut' options with new and imaginative places to stay. We had to continue on our journey but would plan to return if we ever had the opportunity.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peitz
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Dr. Paul and staff were friendly and our hut (Bamboo) was amazing! Great Huts is situated right on the edge of paradise with great views, a perfect beach, plus lots of privacy.

The location was slightly challenging to find, but that's also what was appealing to us!

Our tasty dinner (grilled shrimp and jerk chicken) was made to order; breakfast (eggs, toast, coffee) was included and also very yummy. We liked that there was the "honor system" in that we could take drinks (lots of Red Stripes!) from the frig as needed and then were charged for them at the end of our stay.

Reminder: you are sleeping essentially outdoors, so there are some bugs (but not many) and although I had thought A/C was crucial for me while in Jamaica, Great Huts had a perfect breeze and of course, an awesome bathtub for cooling off...or warming up.

The best part was that we found a local house-party with AWESOME reggae music.

The worst part was that we only were there for 1 night! It was the last night of our stay in Jamaica...but certainly the best night.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Great Huts is one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed and what a great outdoor adventure! Imagine your "hut" on the edge of a cliff, hearing the pounding surf through your windows all evening long. My husband and I had a very romantic stay here, sipping wine at night in our large tub overlooking the ocean. We then snuggled together on a lounge chair that was anchored a yard or two away from the edge of the cliff, while then enjoying a total surround view of the evening sky and stars. I am not kidding when I say our bathroom probably measured 40' x 40', with greenery everywhere and our shower was one that was blended carefully into the greenery--no roof overhead, just the sky! The decor in our bedroom and large sitting area was absolutely gorgeous and fit perfectly with the setting. I also thoroughly enjoyed the pen of little critters (birds, parrots, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, etc.) where I could sit and relax inside the cage and feed all of the very, very friendly animals and birds. A great treat for any child. On Saturday evening we were charmed by a local dance/singing group that did an excellent job at exhibiting Jamaican culture through their music, song, and costumes. Of course members from the audience were invited up to participate in the dance around the May Pole. If you have never tried it, you will enjoy it here. In the day time we enjoyed taking the steps down to the water and watching a number of the local children surfing or jumping off of one of the lower rocks/cliffs. Exploring in Great Huts was also going hut to hut to see the elaborate setting of each unique hut and then deciding which one we'd like to choose next when we return with my two sons. Oh yes, and don't forget to walk out of the gate and up to the top of the road for the best jerk on the Island--EVERYONE from Jamaica reports the stands of jerk there are absolute #1 in Jamaica! Try the chicken, pork, lobster or fish jerk. We definitely look forward to our next visit--can't wait!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharoninjamaica
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I had seen the web site and e-mailed the staff, of course, but nothing prepared me for the experience behind the high wood gate.
Great Huts is like stepping into an unplugged Marc Chagall painting. Its tree houses are hedonistic, wildly imaginative, and impeccably curated with fabrics, wood carvings, pottery and sculpture representing Jamaica's massive and I think unsung talent. I could feel layers of civilization peel away, soaking in a stone tub looking down on Boston Bay. Although the dinner menu looked delicious, the staff invited me to dine with them. It was the most authentic Jamaican meal I could have had, prepared by Lloyda, who's wonderful. It was only for a night, as I was passing through Port Antonio. But it was an experience I wont't forget and hope to return to.
Two things to note:
- Although a woman, white and traveling alone, I felt at home in Port Antonio, which is sleepy and friendly -- and for that matter in Kingston, too.(Of course, in Kingston I used the caution one would in any city.)
- Great Huts is located conveniently behind the Boston Jerk Center, where Jamaicans say the jerk cooking style originated. While pork is always good, try some fish, too -- you can see the local fishermen catching it in the morning from your Great Huts room.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I travel to Jamaica quite often. I have gone on cruises and various other vacations. I enjoy the rich culture and the gorgeous scenery. Two years ago I went on my first medical mission trip. Imagine my excitement as I found out we would be traveling to one of my favorite vacation destinations. During my time exploring the island between setting up clinics, I came across a great little market called Boston Market. As I kept exploring the area, I came to find Great Huts. I found in Great Huts a hidden gem in the heart of the "real Jamaica."

One year later, I wanted to go back. I wanted to again bring my abilities to help the people of Jamaica and perhaps get a few more apples, which are more like red pears, breadfruit, and most importantly sincere smiles of thanks in return. I started organizing a medical mission trip from the ground up. I immediately thought of the Port Antonio area, Boston Bay and Great Huts. As I researched, I found out that the owner of Great Huts, Dr. Rhodes, happens to be highly involved in the Jamaica community. We began to build a trip. With his help, I was able to lead ten Human Physiology Masters students working towards medical school from Georgetown University to help and serve the Jamaican community. We volunteered for the entirety of our Spring break and spent our time immersing ourselves in the culture and the environment of this unique and wonderful country.

Students striving to become physicians are a highly motivated group with big hearts. With the right opportunity, they were ready to serve humanity now, with their current skill sets. One of those greatest skills, one we all share, is the ability to listen- the ability to care about the stories and experiences of others around them. We went to one of Jamaica’s infirmaries and just listened. We went to the homeless shelter and just listened. There were also health screening checks and the opportunity to round with Dr. Rhodes as well as many, many games of Dominoes; but, ultimately, our greatest service to the Jamaican people was to just go out and be with those otherwise forgotten. We listened to their stories and learn about Jamaican life beyond the beaten path.

Dr. Rhodes and Great Huts made it happen. Great Huts is one of the coolest and most serene places I know in all of Jamaica. Beyond this though, Great Huts is a place where you can go to meet and immerse yourself in the culture and experience what Jamaica is really all about.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Dr. Paul the owner has created a unique experience, which is like no other place I've been to or heard of before. Our stay at Great Huts was so special for so many reasons. The landscape - perched on the top of coral cliffs, overlooking the beautiful caribbean ocean. The rooms - each room is unique with its own name, layout and artwork, carefully position within an authentic village style layout of the Great Huts grounds. All are in the Afro-caribbean village style theme complete with sculptures and woodwork of local Jamaican artisans. The rooms we stayed in (fig tree and bamboo tree) are built in such a way that you feel like you are literally sleeping amongst the trees that overlook the ocean, with all the amenities of a regular housing unit (running water, electricity, hot tub, shower). When I walked in, I kept marveling over the design and how everything worked but at the same time had the most natural and primitive feel to it. The people - unlike in many other places we've stayed, the guests in Great Huts were as much a part of our trip as anything else. We met so many interesting people (lots of do-gooders I might add...Great Huts is linked in with a local shelter and somehow exudes vibes of helping people and the environment that it naturally draws these types of people). The village style physical layout as well as the layout of the common areas are prone to meeting people and sharing experiences. The neighborhood - the place is adjacent to the Boston Jerk Center. You can walk around and feel safe while meeting authentic locals and not just 'staff'. The staff was friendly and helpful, the food was delicious. We had special dietary needs that were catered to perfectly. If you like nature, beautiful places, an off the beaten path kind of place, and you like to get a country's authentic feel (rather than the mega hotel fabricated one) then this is the place for you. Note: Its very clean, comfortable, modernized with great service, but if you are looking for a luxurious & perfectly manicured place, this is not for you. We had gecko's in room and mosquito nets around the beds, no air conditioning - though there are fans...we were pretty comfortable with all of this (again, to us it was that perfect balance between nature and modernity) but some might not be OK with this.

• Stayed: August 2010
Zion Country Beach Cabins
Zion Country Beach Cabins
#2 of 29 in Port Antonio
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!