“Truly a home away from home!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Goblin Hill Villas at San San

Goblin Hill Villas at San San
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Cary, North Carolina
“Truly a home away from home!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I booked this hotel last mintute. We we're suppose to stay with family, but due to some unfortunate events we had to change our plans. We stayed here from July 15-July 22 and loved every minute of it. The villa was gorgeous, actually it really blew me away. My expectations weren't that high, often times you see pictures and the hotel isn't what was advertised but this surely was. The view was AMAZING! We arrived at the hotel after 10pm and our dinner was prepared and the table was set, all we had to do was reheat our food. The bed was comfortable which was surprising. I've stayed in the Marriott and some of their beds weren't the best, but I was extremely pleased being that I was pregnant while here.
Our housekeeper was really professional, her meals were delightful. She usually made two separate breakfast because my husband wanted authentic food whereas I preferred my normal bacon and eggs. But she handled it well and my 2 y/o loved her. The staff was friendly the security knew my husband by name, and the AC was god sent. It kept the heat bare able. They also tried to entertain the guests, they had a rum punch party and movie night for the kids which I enjoyed. Wish the music was a bit hipper, but I'm going to assume it is the way it is based on the age of the clientele and I'm a but younger than most.
There were a few reasons I didn't give the hotel 5 stars
1. The hotel didn't carry change, which was a bit frustrating. When I went to the bar to grab some water I had a 1000 bill and they couldn't make change so we ended up spending more than we initially wanted to. Another occurrence was when my husband went to the gift shop to get me a snack and again no change. While they did bring the change the next day, it was still a little frustrating not being able to just make my purchase and recieve my change. Another occurrence was when I went to settle my bill for our stay, and they had no change to give us back, we ended up just putting the change we would have received onto our laundry bill. But it was frustrating for me because I'm not use to not being able to recieve my change after a transaction.
2. There wasn't an outlet in the bathroom, which I found odd. The only reason I knew was because my husband wanted to shave and he couldn't.
3. The bathroom should be better. It wasn't dirty, but the tub needs to be replaced. It wasn't so horrible where you felt like your skin was crawling but it didn't match the caliber of the rest of the hotel. I will agree with other reviewers that certain places needs a bit of TLC, my daughter took the door knob of the closet off with ease and she actually removed the cover of the electrical outlet which scared me a bit.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to friends and I would surely stay here again. Oh I should say it was in very close proximity to 2 beaches. San San and Frenchman cove. We walked to San San and Frenchman cove was about another 5 minutes from there walking. And Reach Falls was amazing as well!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chanti B
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Chanti,

What a pleasure it was to welcome you and your little family at Goblin Hill. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We are of course delighted that you enjoyed the amazing views and settings, the personal service, the comfort, activities, ... all of what Goblin Hill has to offer.

I do apologize for the few points you are mentioning that may have affected your overall experience. Just a quick answer about these:
1. Indeed we have decided to keep a limited amount of cash on property which means that we may have difficulties to give change sometimes. We do encourage our guests to let us post their charges on their room bill and use a credit or debit card to settle it.
2. There is actually an outlet in the bathroom, accordingly not easy to find. It is on the wooden part holding the lamps above the mirror. Did you ask the housekeeper about it?
3. We agree that our bathrooms are not up to our (and our guests') standards which is why we started renovate them (beginning with the 2 bedrooms villas). Make sure to request one of these when you are coming visit us back.

Thanks again for your trust and support and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at Goblin Hill and show you our improvements.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

My boyfriend always brings me to this beautiful corner of the world. I am in love with Goblin Hill....The surrounding...the tranquility...the kindness of the people who work there. I feel like I fall in love with my life over and over and over. The rooms are simple, casual but tasteful and go nicely with the environment ...Striking natural beauty...sudden heavy rains while enjoying your dinner on your terrace looking at a breath taking view of the ocean and the trees.
Every room comes with a very kind chef..Make sure you go with her to do grocery....going through town with her is fun. Let her teach you how to make those amazing simple Jamaican dishes...I came back home with ingredients and lots of different recipes.....
I cannot wait to go back next year...

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room...the view is breathtaking!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Mailove,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for such a poetic and beautiful review.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in this unique and gorgeous part of the world. The Nature of course but also our setting, our service and our little touches that make all the difference.

I hope you are now able to cook all these locals meals directly at home.

We are all looking to welcoming you back next year (or before?)

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and a group of 15 stayed at Goblin Hill and we had a wonderful stay. The rooms are a little dated but the property is beautiful. There are several well placed hammocks and chairs for relaxing and the staff is friendly and inviting. The housekeepers for our group worked together to prepare 4 meals for us and the food was very good. The ocean view from the rooms is awesome. Also, my son enjoyed watching movies on the Roku that was provided for the TV. We would definetly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Eve,

Thank you so much for staying at Goblin Hill and for taking the time to share your experience.
It is rewarding to read that we succeeded in our mission of making you enjoy your stay and wanting to come back.
Please note that we are working on updating and improving our villas so I am sure you will see some differences on your next visit which, I hope, will be soon.

West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We travel every year to Jamaica and would stay no where else than Goblin Hill! It is definitely a Special Place with its own wonderful and elegant aura. It's tranquil beauty, is surrounded by lush gardens overlooking the most breathtaking views of SanSan beach. A personal Cook is provided who serves you a delicious breakfast and the finest Jamaican coffee while overlooking the sea from your front porch. After being out all day, to come back and have a deliciously prepared authentic Jamaican dinner is always such a pleasure (thanks so much Elaine!) This is a unique experience that Goblin Hill offers which we thoroughly enjoy every time. This trip we brought 2 newcomers who stayed at the property while we worked in town on a high school. Our friends were so happy to just enjoy the property, they waited for our return and interacted with the staff and met with Rafael de Campos, the Manager. Rafael was so welcoming and accommodating and made our stay even more enjoyable. He recommended one eating place, we visited it and found out that "Anthony Bourdain" had been there the day before reviewing it - yes Quite Amazing! Rafael's staff are very professional and the hotel is immaculate. Our friends were quick to say they will be back at Goblin Hill in the future, and thanked us for introducing the property to them. Thanks again Rafael, a bientot!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Sue and Trevor,

We are honored to have such faithful guests. Thank you for trusting us and visiting us each time you are coming to Jamaica.

Your description of the property and its experience makes me want to enjoy it too, as a guest this time...
We are truly happy that you love what we have to offer and what makes us different than other place. Our staff, genuinely happy to welcome visitors, is most certainly a big part of this unique experience.
The area is naturally beautiful and nests countless of beautiful spots, beautiful people and beautiful places to visit.

Again, thank you for making Goblin Hill your favorite place in Portland, thank you for this beautiful review, thank you for your community work and thank you for introducing your friends to us... we are now communicating regularly with them as they are, too, beautiful people.

See you soon, a bientot!

Ankara, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here for a few days on our honeymoon. The setting up on the hill is excellent and the grounds are very well maintained. The villas themselves are spacious and well maintained but have a 70s feel to them - probably not much the ownership and management can do about that within a reasonable cost. The liberal use of flowers to decorate the rooms is welcome.

The employment of housekeepers who cook in the kitchens and serve the meals on the balconies is unusual but we liked it.

There were other facilities (pool and tennis courts) but sadly we lacked the time to use these as were busy exploring the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Nick,

What a pleasure it was for us to welcome you at Goblin Hill, even more as it was your honeymoon.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your time here and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
We are actually upgrading some of our villas so on your next visit (your first anniversary?), you will see some improvements.
I hope you enjoyed the drive through the hills and the rest of your stay in Jamaica.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back at Goblin Hill.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had the privilege, or the dismay, of staying here. The check-in, grounds, support staff, rooms and view was great. The trouble started in the night after a fun filled evening with friends an administrative staff tried to charge us $300+USD for $86USD bill.
Ok, it may be a mistake. Upon checking out the next day, we were immediately hit with additional charges for broken items that were in general areas without explanation or proof the occupants closes to the area was responsible. On top of that the Manager was very rude. He disregarded all reports of misconduct, and pretty much told us too bad so sad.
i will never visit Goblin Hill again, neither will i recommend it to anyone. i had a group of colleagues who were planning a trip to Portland and had the ideal place upon first impressions of the place, but i redirected them after the experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bjwoo
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Trip Advisor readers,

This response is addressed to all our readers who are interested in evaluating the right place to choose for a well-deserved and well-matched vacation.

Goblin Hill is known as the perfect vacation for families, friends, and couples seeking peace, quiet, tranquility, exceptional personal service, and breathtaking sea views, in an extraordinary setting of great natural beauty.

This review came from a group which is unlike our clientele. Arriving drunk (maybe it was the influence of the World Cup?) and remaining so over 24 hours until their departure, they threatened to produce 16 negative reviews (one per person) if the charges they incurred for a broken chair and glass were not removed.

Fortunately, the overwhelming response from our guests, evidenced in their reviews, has resulted in Goblin Hill receiving the Trip Advisor Award of Excellence for the second year in succession, and supports the truth of hands-on management, helpful staff and spacious villas in a natural setting of superlative peace and beauty.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you,

Montego Bay, Jamaica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Where to begin….

On Saturday June 21st a group of our closest friends planned a trip to Portland from Montego Bay. We initially planned to stay at Frenchmen’s Cove; however they were at 100% occupancy and could not accommodate our group. Little did we know that this was the start of a very unpleasant adventure.

We opted to choose the Goblin Hill Villas. Upon arrival (around 1pm); we were met with wonderful customer service, not to mention a breath taking view. Portland is one of the most beautiful areas on the Island. After checking in we decided to grab some lunch (off resort, as there is no restaurant), and head down to the Blue Lagoon for some swimming .Post our swimming, we returned to the hotel in preparation for a night at the Tree Bar. Very cool attraction if I do say so myself. The bar staff was amazing. Great personalities, and really knew how to show the group a good time.

Everything was going great. This is the point where things took a turn for the worse. It was around 10pm so I decided to call it a night. We wanted to get up early and take a boat tour of the Blue Lagoon. The bartender handled me my bill, and I headed off to the casher to pay. Once I arrived at the Casher, I was presented with a higher bill. Since I have been drinking the staff suspected that I would have noticed a bill for $300 USD, when my bill was $81 USD. I was very frustrated with this, and had an argument with the staff. I paid the balance of my bill and went to bed. The next morning when we were checking out I was told that I was being charged for a broken glass, and chair. An arm broke of a very old chair, and there was a small crack in one of the glasses. I was completely shocked that I was being charged for this. The hotel charged me $55.00 USD for a very old chair and glass. We had a group of 16 people who spend over $1400+ USD in less than 20 hours. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was met by Mr. Campos who was absolutely rude. I informed him that one of his employees attempted to over-charge me the previous night, and Mr. Campos deflected any sort of accountability and said that it was not possible. We had a large argument where I was very frustrated. I openly admit I may have used some vulgarity which is not in my character. Mr. Campos expected me to be happy about the situation. Being taken advantage of caused me frustration. As an up-standing customer I paid the full amount that Mr.Campos requested, we then left the property.

Mr. Campos and I had an email exchange over the course of the next week. I wanted to notify management of how my group was treated. Mr. Campos provided me the board of directors contact information. Through a week and a half dialogue Mr. Campos finally came back saying that indeed someone attempted to over-charge me, however it was only $3.00 USD. I questioned his confidence in this as he was not physically present. Mr. Campos and I had to agree to disagree. I was just ecstatic that he finally admitted that someone attempted to over-charge me (regardless of the amount). I then received an email from Mr. Campos asking for the contact information of my employers General Manager, and CEO. I was absolutely shocked. This was not a company trip. I am not sure if Mr. Campos had intentions to tell my boss?:) None the less I provided contact information.

The moral of this story is; the hotel has a great view, and some of the nicest staff. From the bar staff, to the housekeepers. Had it not been for this experience I would have likely retuned. This whole experience has shown me how poor management and lack of accountability can tarnish a company brand.

I took my broken chair home and it sits on my front porch and acts as a reminder. It also serves as a great conversation piece for colleagues, friends, family and guests from around the world who visits. I can look back on the experience now, and laugh about the entire situation. Hopefully my experience can help avid a poor one for someone else in the future. I have also informed the Jamaica Tourist Board of the Incident.

Also, I want to give a shout out to Patrick down at the Blue Lagoon. He does Boat Tours, and is very reasonable with price. I would recommend him to anyone. He is not affiliated with Goblin Hill.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Crnko
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas at San San, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
I am totally speechless to see the audacity of that person when he knows that this review is totally false and posted with the only intention of damage our property.

Here is my answer, sticking to the facts. I have documents (emails and video recordings) that counteract easily all the tales written by this person. We also reported the incident to the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) and the Jamaica Hotel & Tourist Association (JHTA).

- the receptionist mistakenly charged a bill of US$3.6 to the guest, thinking it belonged to his group of 18 persons. She corrected it as soon as it was pointed to her. The guest seemed satisfied as he never asked to talk to me.
It is absurd, ridiculous and insulting to claim that she tried to charged US$300 instead of US$81. Only a total brainless person would have try to do that and if the guest had let me talk the next day instead of insulting me and my staff, I would have very quickly and simply show and prove him that there is no possibility one would have done that.

- As everybody can see on the picture the guest posted, it is not a "very old chair" that the group broke but a recent, strong garden chair. It is built to resist normal weights, in other words, the regular use one do with a chair: sit on it. It wasn't built to resist the attacks of 3 or 4 drunken persons climbing on it at the same time, careless about one's property. The same goes with the glass. Yes a simple crack was in it but glasses are made to drink, not to be used as a volley or American football ball. Additionally, that simple crack made it impossible for us to present it to our guests anymore.

- Paying US$1400 in less than 24 hours doesn't allow guests to brake hotel items, behave rudely, use inappropriate language and insult the staff.

- Vulgarity seems to be normal for the group as that is the only language they spoke since they came out the bus until the left the property.

- I will be happy to share the emails exchange I had with that person. Nowhere in there I admit we tried overcharge him. I, again, explained the mistake that happened and, again, I apologized for that mistake, the same way I did when I met the guest, before they start to insult my staff and me.
I insist, we did not overcharged that guest, firstly because it is at the opposite of our mission and pleasure which is to genuinely make each one of our guests happy and secondly, because our procedures makes it simply impossible to do so.

- This wasn't a company event? Interestingly the guest wrote in his emails, when making the reservation, that it was one (mails available for who wants read them).
Being presented by the guest himself as a company event, I of course wanted to inform his manager of his and his friends behavior as i am sure no manager would be proud to see his/her staff behaving like a group of drunken hooligan when they are going around, using the company's name.

- I pointed to the guest when he checked out how vulgar and rude he and his friends had been and how respectful and polite my staff and myself stayed despite the insults, threats and shouting. He agreed on that. So why saying now I was rude?

It is totally shameful to write a review like this, so far from the truth, in order to damage what a team of 50 persons has been building for years. We have a totally committed staff whose only goal is to welcome each one of our guests and make them enjoy every second of their stay. No one here would even think of overcharging a guest (and in addition our procedures makes it impossible). The huge majority of the reviews here are proving what I am saying to be right. I will not accept anybody to try damage purposely and maliciously our reputation on the only base that we did not accept to be swindled and threatened by someone whose anger and frustration pushed to write this. I will defend the hotel and its staff against any of these devious attacks. I did my job, calmly and respectfully, and I will keep doing it in order to continue to give our guests what they are expecting and more.