“Sophisticated and comfortable!”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Malibu, California
“Sophisticated and comfortable!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Trident is a boutique hotel (14 rooms) that is both sophisticated as well as comfortable. One of my best stays anywhere.

I was fortunate to relax and rejuvenate at the Trident for 7 days. I arrived a day early and they quickly greeted me and got me checked into a room. Strangely, I had to change rooms the next morning to all but the same room (room 1 to 3).

Lobby is open and beautiful.Front desk is positive and professional.

Staff throughout the property has certainly been trained. Professionalism and a clear focus on a positive guest experience stayed consistent throughout my stay. i was always acknowledged and greeted by name. That's important.

Each villa I stayed in (1 and 3) was airy, large and modern and attractively decorated. Caribbean feel but not trite or tommy bahama.
Did I mention each villa spotlessly clean! The mini bar and ice were always refreshed. Oh yeah, large private patio with a plunge pool too! The grounds, hotel pool and beach were all but impeccable.

The only detail I feel could be improved is towels--they need to be softer and fluffier.

I extended my stay an additional and stayed at the Trident Castle (Pink room). It's work in progress and I'm sure it will become just as fabulous as Trident and Geejam.

Trident is close enough to Port Antonio to walk and experience some of he local flavor, cafes and restaurants (several local cafe reviews). Most people used a driver from the hotel. I enjoyed the walk and always felt safe and comfortable. After awhile, locals greeted me by name.

The Trident presents class and style without being pretentious and uptight. I'm looking forward to my return. Trident, Geejam and the Castle are creating a luxury destination market in Jamaica.

Room Tip: There is not a bad villa!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank SanMo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Dundas, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

A trip across the mountains from Kingston, lands you in an idyllic part of Jamaica,overlooking the Caribbean Sea, where you will find pure luxury. The Trident hotel offers all the luxuries found in the best hotels of the globe, combined with a relaxed hospitality unique to Port Antonio.
Selected as our destination of choice for our honeymoon.. It does not disappoint in any aspect. The impeccable villas, complete with private outdoor baths, showers and plunge pools offer guest the option of complete privacy, or opportunities to relax at the sea side infinity pool, or private beach. The villas are very spacious; complete with large walk in showers, spacious dressing and bathroom areas and a bedroom and living room reminiscent of home.
Prepare your taste buds for delicious meal options throughout the day; from the delicious fresh fruits and fabulous breakfast entrées, to the truly inventive dishes at Mike Supper Club. The staff is extremely attentive and know me by name, what I had the previous day, and what they might suggest for today - If I am thinking of something outside the current menu, it is not an issue whatsoever. Think traditional Jamaican !
And now to what combined with the aforementioned luxuries will make you forever want to return to the Trident and Port Antonio. The beautiful people.. The Trident staff is exceptional; truly hospitable, caring and genuinely concerned you have the best holiday experience. People from Portie are a warm hearted, welcoming people that, if you are open to it, will show and remind you of a kind spirit that has long left the rest of the world. Be sure not to miss a lunch with Ms Belinda, a burger with Woody and Miss Cherry, Gervin at Rock Bottom Carvings in the Market, the best Jerk Chicken at Piggy's, the best Jerk sausage at Boston, the best Crayfish with Ms Belinda, and the most incredible meals, and the very best rice and peas.. at the Trident ! The Trident front staff will arrange it all !
..and don't miss the Jolly Boys at the GeeJam !

Room Tip: Every Villa offers a totally private view of the sea
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David C
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We chose the TRIDENT Hotel and Castle for our honeymoon as we were looking for a once and a lifetime experience. From the moment we arrived the service was above and beyond exceptional. Our villa was surreal, with its own pool, outdoor bath tub, living area…. out of this world amazing! I can’t state enough how every aspect of this hotel exceeds our expectations. Everything from the scenery, food, service, transportation was beyond what we could have ever imagined. I have experienced many different parts of the world along with different parts of Jamaica, but no place, and no hotel can ever come close to the Trident. It is hard to explain in words just how unique this hotel is. We originally looked into Bora, Bora, Maldives, Hawaii, just to name a few for our honeymoon, but after extensive planning and researching we chose the Trident and couldn’t be happier with our decision! It is hard to say what we liked the best as everything was so good. To wake up and be greeted by an amazing staff who each has taken the time to learn your name is remarkable. To take a moment and name a few with exceptional customer service, ones who are always going that extra mile to make sure your happy and provided for….Kirk who looks after your transportation, Dwight, Byron and his kitchen staff, Lij and his front-end staff and even more impressive is how the owners of the hotel takes the time when they are available with each guests to get to know them. Now to also take a moment to explain a little bit about Port Antonio. It is a place that one needs to come visit to truly understand what it is about! You can walk the streets alone at any given time without worry about your safety, the local food is unbelievable and the people are fantastic and overly friendly! Thanks again to the Trident team for your efforts that made our honeymoon memorable! We will be back for years and years to come!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank signy o
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Perfect hotel, beautiful rooms and excellent service. Each villa has a private plunge pool. Also allows the feel of privacy. Beautiful. The villas are exceptionally good size and therefore good value for money. Beach is also gorgeous, however should have a regular by the beachside. The only drawback is the quality of the food both at breakfast and at Mikes supper club. Breakfast is included. There is also good jazz band at Mikes supper club.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful. However the sea is rough at night, so you may want a room with the pool...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Khiajosina
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The view and settings are stunning that can not be denied. Wonderful beach area and wonderful lounge area. Rooms are breathtaking and very special. The costs per night reflects that but it's the little things that make this hotel "not ready for prime time". When you are considered a luxury property there are certain things that should happen worldwide. Here is an example on their drink menu they offer a Caiprinha which is Brazil's national drink. I was impressed to see it on the bar menu but is was being served with some substitute liquor which is not what someone who would order the drink would appreciate. The food was disappointing. I ordered a burger and the patty was like a big mac with a huge bun. Again - the little things. Maybe the details on the food should be addressed so it matches the beauty of the resort. If your not a foodie or cocktail

Room Tip: Find other dining options....outside of the hotel if you enjoy tasty upscale food
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Dee J
eagerbeaverhk, Co-owner, Geejam Collection at The Trident Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Hello Denene,

Firstly, many thanks for your kind words about our property. As we’re right on the water, we took enormous care when designing the villas, to protect the panoramic vistas.

My apologies for your dissatisfaction with our Caiprinha. Our mixologist informed me that we mix it with a premium Jamaican rum, which perhaps accounts for your observation. He tells me that this is a very popular drink, served this way. However, we do want to try our best to please everyone’s palate, and always welcome our guests input, on what they feel would help improve a drink for them - in this case, to make the perfect Caiprinha.

I must confess, I am a little puzzled by your suggestion that it’s hard to find up-scale food in the hotel, given our extensive Japanese menu, prepared by Steve Grimes, our Tokyo-trained sushi chef, along with a wide selection of modern and exciting Jamaican and European cuisine, overseen by Collin Brown, the only 2 star Rosette winner, in the whole of the Caribbean.

With our burgers being made from 'jet-fresh’ ingredients, and all our bread being home made, this is far from being a ‘cookie-cutter’ item, so again, my sincere apologies for us failing to live up to your expectations.

1love
Steve
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

The staff went all out to give us a spectacular wedding day. The picturesque property was ideal for our photo shoot and the accommodation was superb offering a romantic getaway with complete privacy. The food was tasty and served by friendly, courteous staff. It can be pricey, but it's well worth it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S S
Havertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have visited this hotel a few times now and each time I go there I fall in love all over again. The rooms are amazing, the atmosphere is tranquil and relaxing. The staff is friendly and very eager to help. The owner is very friendly and talks to all of his guests. The food is great. The hotel is very private and affords you a lot of privacy. A top class hotel, perfect for a wedding as well.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms at this hotel. there are 13 rooms and all have ocean view. They are all close...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Jamaica Palace Hotel
Jamaica Palace Hotel
#10 of 16 in Port Antonio

Been to The Trident Hotel? Share your experiences!