“AMAZING” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Corner Brook, Canada
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here with another couple for ten nights just a week ago in late feb/early march and I must say it was the best experience I could have hoped for for our Jamaican vacation..I got a little nervous after seeing a few bad reviews here on this site beacause you never know what you are going to get until you see it with your own eyes but I have to say that the people here who gave this beautiful villa or its AMAZING staff an even remotely bad review are either spoiled brats who were looking for a ten thousand dollar a week five star all inclusive resort or are just downright contrary individuals. I cannot speak enough about this place..and TRUST me..I am a very picky individual as are those who travelled with me..we ARE used to the five star treatment...and that is exactly what we got!!! The staff..Marley..Miss Donna and Miss Angela took care of us like we were family..the villa is just steps above the most pristine and beautiful pool of water you will ever swim in in your entire life. (Get Marley to show you the back way!) The value that you get at Moon San is unbelievable. Miss Donna made us breakfast every morning..WHENEVER we chose to get up be it seven thirty or ten thirty..she packed our coolers..she booked our river rafting..she made our beds..she took care of us better than any all inclusive ever could..I left knowing that I would miss her and I really do..and my husband feels the same..and as for Marley..well he was at our beck and call..getting us taxis or renting us cars to go into town, all the time escorting us and showing us everything..the first night we got there we were two hours late and he greeted us with an ice cold red stripe and went to get us pizza..lol..what a fantastic guy!! We all became fast friends..whether its tours..restaurant reservations, special requests or anything these guys will take care of your every desire!!..and this just skims the surface of our experience at Moon San..we celebrated our second anniversary there and miss donna made us a beautiful meal and marley arranged to have a homemade cake and champagne and flowers delivered to myself and my husband..and a couple days later on my birthday miss donna baked me a key lime pie that was so delicious!!. (p.s..her french toast in the morning is awesome!!)..all small things that added up to a once in a lifetime vacation for us all. I will definately be back very soon..thank you all so much for everything.. you made our vacation one to remember forever!! xoxo to you all!!

Room Tip: Definately take the upstairs master..we saw all the rooms and this one was BY FAR the best although...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

Few days on short business trip, great location few steps from the blue lagoon. Host Marley could not have been more helpful, great knowledge of the area and very accommodating to all guests. Little known fact - stay here and get boat trips to the bay, cycle trips to blue mountain and inside knowledge on Portland's best spots thrown in! Small, friendly and very worth it.

• Stayed February 2013
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

Moon San Villa is a dump.

When we booked this bnb we thought, based on the higher price point, that we were in for a real treat. We read the reviews and thought paradise.

When we arrived we were so disappointed. The house is dark, worn out and dated. When you walk in through the door, you are immediately in the very cramped "dining" area with a table with six chairs. Directly beyond that is the only deck, which is about 3 feet wide by about 10 feet long. From the same vantage point of the arrival/main door, on the right hand side is the kitchen which is small, dingy and disgusting by any standard. When I see a grouted, ceramic tile counter top in a kitchen I cringe. Completely unsanitary even at the best of times. What bothered us most was the fact that all of our information, including names and contact details, was pinned to a board right there. Very unprofessional based on the rates they are charging. Due to the fact that there were not fridges in the rooms, guests are coming and going out of the kitchen all the time to get their stuff stored in the fridge. A complete privacy and safety breech.

There was nobody to help us with our bags on the steep stairs.

When we arrived in our room we were appalled. Nothing looked as it seems in the pictures. Nothing. The window was painted open, no closing it and no blocking out the bugs. Cheap flooring that is caked with years of dirt, hairs and bugs. Old, worn bedding. One flat well used mattress. It is really something you would see in a hostel. The bathroom was attrocious. We just could not believe our eyes. Even the coffee station was so make shift. I just can't tell you how bad it was. In hindsight, I realize there are not pictures here of the rooms - or really anywhere. Lots of pictures of beaches and Jamaica but none really of the property itself - even the picture here is from lord knows when and is so grainy. You know, most small places put up lots of pictures when the rooms are different and there are only a few of them. This place does not. We now know why. Our mistake and boy did we learn a valuable lesson. Also, not really many pictures of the other parts Moon San. No kitchen pictures, and it is right there when you walk in the door and everyone has access to it. No living room pictures. No pictures of the other deck - which was unusable during our stay. No pictures of property because this place has no property.

Another note, the free wifi only works in the dining area - not in the rooms.

When we discussed our concerns with Donna, the only person we could locate, it was not the first she had heard such disappointment. But what troubled us most was the fact that she told us not to make a big deal because her bosses would blame her and the other staff for us not liking our room. I did not like that at all. Whether it was true or not, something stinks at Moon San.

You can try to put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig. Moon San Villa is the pig. There are better places to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank LoopySS
sansan1999, Owner at Moon San Villa, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
If this review was posted because my staff or myself did something to offend the guests then I do apologize.

Moon San is one of the most rented villas in Port Antonio.

I think our other reviews speak the truth about Moon San Villa.
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

Impeccable Hospitality . Moon San stands alone ! My hubby and i arrived tired and weary from our long day in kingston(shopping and museums) , within minutes of meeting Marley i tell him i love watching the sun set and he goes to the lagoon and arranges for a raft on the lagoon for my hubby and i ! Cheers to you Marley this is by far one of the most romantic moments we have had, rafting on the blue lagoon was wonderful. We stayed here 2 nights ( wish we had stayed longer ). This BnB is a Great Value with a wonderful staff. We stayed in the upper master bedroom with the view of the sea and lagoon. We never closed our windows , it was just too beautiful . Yes i had my bug spray but only used it once . Sunsets and Sunrise are spectacular here overlooking the caribbean sea . The room was very cozy and clean , bathrooms are huge , breakfast was good and we were asked if we wanted dinner but we declined as we wanted to dine out locally ( dinner is easily arranged just provide the ingredients for Donna the cook) , We were there @ the villa with another couple and you can tell from the review below that we share the same views . Staff is helpful and friendly , Marley truly is the best host ive met in decades this is 5 star service in Portland, we felt welcomed and at home . This is my 6th stay in Portland and first @ Moon San . The location is perfect just a few chains away from the lagoon and beach area , yes Moon San is on a slope not on the actual beach but its literally steps away. Why worry Marley has the boat and can take you to your own private beach , or island thats what we had and we snorkeled and walked the beach all evening until sundown. If you drive there is ample parking and marley will valet your car if you desire .Truly its better than any villa or hotel ive stayed in this area . The villa settings are beautiful inside and out . Will be back in a few months ..

Room Tip: Good Views on the upper floor
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KKite
sansan1999, Owner at Moon San Villa, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We hope you will come again.
Amrisvil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Well let me start with saying I traveled through out the island and really wished I would have booked my entire 3 weeks vacation there at Moon San. The staff were so helpful and the rooms were cozy. I came with a few friends and we spent alot of our time on the balcony over looking the beautiful caribean sea, Mrs.Donna and Magic Marly went above and beyond to see that we were comfortable. We did go out for dinner or lunch a few times, but really preferred their cooking over the local resturants.Breakfast was included and it was nice to not have to think about that .
It was so nice because I enjoy swimming and it was so great to be able to just walk a couple of minutes and be there!! THE BLUE LAGOON: The water was so unbelievable cause it was warm and cold .Just GREAT!! Im a very active person , so it was so nice that we were all givin a pass to the Blue Mountain Bicycle Tour cause it is included with our stay . There we were able to see mountain folks. The children in a small school put a ( as my friend called it ) " cute " show .There was a nice waterfall to refresh us at the end of the tour.
I felt like out of the 3 places I stayed on the island this was by far mine and my friends favorite... The vibe was just what we were searching for.. We will be back next year !!!!

Room Tip: My friends and I picked the master bedrooms. They have the best view and a balony ...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Switzerland-13
Deming, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

Judging from the positive reviews here, Moon San Villa appeals to some people, but we stayed here in February of 2012 and have quite a different opinion. First, a little about us. We are two, middle aged, very easy going couples, with a background in science, who have been traveling together for over 15 years. We have been all over the world, on every kind of vacation, from hiking and canoe camping trips, to all inclusive resorts. Our goal has always been to visit interesting places, view the vegetation and wildlife, especially birds, and do fair amount of walking. From the Moon San Villa web site we were expecting a beautiful, upscale home within easy walking distance of a wonderful beach, instead we found a run down house, literally wedged between two streets, the busy through highway on one side and the road to the Blue Lagoon on the other. On leaving and entering you had to unlock a gate in the wall, walk up or down a flight of steps and you were on the street; there is no yard. To get to the Blue Lagoon you walk a gauntlet of local vendors and end at a dock, with no beach unless you want to swim to the other side, or hire a local to take you there. The boat we were told would be at our disposal, was completely out of commission while we were there, although the owner of the villa, Greg, on our second day, told us he would arrange something for us. The only usable deck in the villa is a narrow walkway outside the dining room, the other one pictured, is locked off because the floor is unsafe. While the room my husband and I stayed in was good enough with the doors and windows closed and the air conditioning on, the other couple did not have it as well. Their room lacked any way to close the windows and they were tormented by bugs, until they requested blankets to put over the windows to close them out. A young Canadian couple, the wife of which was in the travel business, arrived while we were there, and found their room even worse. They spent one night of there scheduled visit and found another place to stay. We did not have a car, so were at the complete mercy of the staff of the villa for food, as there is nowhere within walking distance to get any. Our experience of getting take out brought to us was less than satisfactory and the kitchen staff at the villa was not very helpful. We stayed two nights of our scheduled three, and also left, finding a lovely resort within walking distance up the hill. While Greg, and especially his daughter Rachel, at times tried to be accommodating, there are other places in the Port Antonio area that are more attractive and user friendly than Moon San.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Marsha S
sansan1999, Manager at Moon San Villa, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
I don't understand why a guest would wait 10 months to complain about their vacation stay especially, one day after Christmas.

Moon San is one of the most rented villas in Port Antonio.

I think our other reviews speak the truth about Moon San Villa.
Independence, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at Moon San Villa in July of 2012. The staff are wonderful. I was very nervous at first because this was my first stay at a villa instead of a resort, but Marley instantly made me feel welcome and safe. We stayed in the master bedroom down stairs and it was a nice size. The balcony is small but perfect for two. The food was amazing and Donna was a great cook. The view from the kitchen was beautiful! The blue lagoon is just around the corner and just a short walk. There are vendors that you have to pass to get to the lagoon but they were very nice. We had a great time!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple