“Authentic”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
luvinmytravel
“Authentic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the end of February 2009.

I travel a lot to many different Caribbean islands and always knew I just HAD to go to Jamaica. We chose Port Antonio area because it looked less touristy and very Beautiful!
I dislike all inclusives and had been staring at pictures of the villas on the blue lagoon for some time! When I found Moon San Villa rented by the bedroom I was so excited!

We flew to Kingston and Mr Clarke picked us up and he was such a nice man! We really enjoyed him! It cost $135 usd both ways for a 2.5 hour drive. Although a little expensive He was worth it!

Moon San Villa is very Unique. It is only a minute walk to the blue lagoon which is amazing! The actual house reminds me of a beach/farmhouse, not everything is picture perfect but it feels real and cute.

Bedroom # 4 was what we rented out. It is the only room without a view of the ocean. There is no air conditioning either (however we never felt we needed it) It is not the most luxurious room but it felt "Authentic" It is one of the most private rooms in the house that I could see.

Tips For Room
1.Bring your own soap (no soap in room)
2.Bring your own hangers (no hangers in room if you really wanted to hang things)
3.No Safe in room to lock up valuables.

We never asked Donna or Michael about those three things as we didn't find it to be the biggest deal.

The overall feeling of the house is that you are in a bed and breakfast. Donna and Michael were great! Michelle was all smiles! We enjoyed them all.

There was only one deck and it is the very tiny deck that you see in most the pictures. Not a deck to lay out on and read a book. It is a nice deck to get a fantastic view. The other deck was locked up and closed off. If you got together with a bunch of people and rented the whole place out I could see how you would probably use the house far more. As for us we felt comfortable but not comfortable enough to use all the spaces.

Breakfast was very good! Not the largest portions but we really enjoyed it!

We were told it would cost 1usd to get to and from town. It did but not quite what I expected I suppose! Basically you stand by the side of the road and wait for any car to honk! Then you get in and it is kind of like hitch hiking but everyone does it! It was scary at first because you are not always in a registered "taxi" in fact half the time it is hard to tell which are taxis and which are not. By the end of our trip we loved every second of it! We met tons of locals and wouldn't give up that experience for anything in the world!

Our favourite restaurant by far was Woody's which is not very far from the Villa. We had a great time and HIGHLY recommend going there!

Overall we had a fantastic trip!

2 Thank luvinmytravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

We stayed for one week and could not have asked for a better place to stay in San Antonio. Moon San is central to all the beaches and a 5 minute drive to the city. The staff is amazing and Donna is a wonderful cook. This was our first trip to San Antonio, we have been many times to other parts of Jamaica but this is defintely the most beautiful part of the island. It is very peaceful and non-touristy. We will be back for sure.

USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

We left Moon San after 4 great days and are now in Negril. Wow! What a difference. Negril has a great beach, but has nothing compared to the scenery around Moon San and Port Antonio. Go to Frenchman’s Cove beach around 9 in the morning and you will have the beach to yourself. The same goes for Reach Falls.
We stayed in the master bedroom at Moon San and would recommend this room to anyone. The room has a view, but the best view is on the upstairs balcony. We stayed on the balcony every night watching the stars.
Donna’s breakfasts were the best and she made us feel like we were at home, not at some hotel. Make sure you go bar hopping in Port Antonio with Michael. He knows everything and everyone knows him. We had a great time.
Moon San is on our be-back-list.
T. Jones

• Liked — The seclusion
  • Disliked — Road to villa
1 Thank USATJones
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2008

I have to chime in. I've been going to Jamaica for 18 years now, and it seems to me that the people who are writing negative reviews want to vacation in Little-America Jamaica. Jamaica is fantastic because it's Jamaica; soon come and sticky and hot and inconvenient and goats barely bigger than cats...

The MoonSan was nirvana. We stayed just a couple of days in the master bedroom at the beginning of July 2008. (Not nearly long enough!) Normally, I stay in Negril, but this time I wanted to get back up to Pt. Antonio.

On my next trip, I think I might just pass on Negril completely. The MoonSan was so beautiful and calming on my spirit. Donna and Mike (?) were such gracious hosts. The home was beautiful. The views and the jungle were awe-inspiring, peaceful and lush. I never did get around to Frenchman's Cove, because I was so thoroughly mesmerized by The Blue Lagoon. (It was under construction the last time I was in Pt. Antonio...17 years ago.)

To the people that complain about air conditioning - it worked perfectly for us - but understand that most Jamaicans don't have air conditioning, so this is truly a gluttonous luxury. The television was a top of the line amenity and the channel selection was surprisingly vast.

To the people that complain about bugs....it's the tropics. The MoonSan was very VERY clean and I didn't notice any unusual bug activity at all. I had food and drink in my room, and heavily utilized the balconies giving bugs ample opportunity to join me...and no unusual number did.

I have been all over Jamaica and I can say with authority that the MoonSan is my new absolute favorite destination. The beauty, the serentiy, the hosts, the location are worth so much more than the nominal room price.

I will definitely be back. And back. And back some more. Thank you MoonSan. You calm my soul.

• Liked — Location, serenity, hospitality, beauty, scenery.
  • Disliked — Nothing negative about my experience at all.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank JamaicaNice72
rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2008

Excellent bed and breakfast! Our time here was truly the best time in Jamaica. The cozy, relaxed atmosphere goes hand in hand with the Jamaican vibe.

Donna and Micheal almost became family during our stay at Moon San Villa. Donna prepares the best breakfast ever! Please try her french toast and scrambled eggs! Micheal came out with us one night at Rooftop and we had an amazing time. You can ask them just about anything and they will arrange everything with a smile!

The rooms are spacious and with a nice decor (not to mention the awesome bath towels!). The location is perfect. Attached to the magnificent Blue Lagoon and the very close to San San Beach and Frenchman's Cove which are a must while in Port Antonio.

Next time I will be back in Port Antonio we will definitely stay at Moon San Villa and will surely advise this bed and breakfast to any friends that are going.

• Liked — The View and Service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank FloRome
tampa, fla
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2008

Ordinarily, I do not write reviews, but due to the genuine hospitality we were given during our stay at the Villa, I felt it necessary.

Donna, the manager, met us when we arrived at the villa. She explained breakfast time, time for the boat ride, shopping ect. and all of our questions.

Donna's cinnamon/french toastwas the best!!! And going to Frenchman's Cove or San San beach in the villa's glass bottom boat was the highlight of out trip!!

We had an excellent vacation and came home and booked the master bedroom for another week this fall.

P. Jones

• Liked — the view
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank penny5
chicago, Il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2008

We stayed at the Moon San Villa. Donna and David were lovely people who were so friendly and helpful to their guests. Donna made awesome breakfasts for us. The people that are saying that you could only have certain things on the menu obviously don't understand how things work in Jamaica. You have to ask for things a day or two in advance. Often, Donna would cook us lovely Lobster and fish dinners. David was just as pleasant. My son Alex was crazy about both of them. I would recommend this place to anyone!

Stayed January 2007