“Moon San Villa-A Great Place to Stay"”
Review of Moon San Villa

Moon San Villa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Los Angeles, California
“Moon San Villa-A Great Place to Stay"”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Upon reading MBeckham's nasty review, I just had to write about my own experience at Moon San Villa. My sister, my teenage son, and I stayed there for several nights in the summer of 2007. Not only was the staff wonderful, but they were more than helpful with anything we needed. The ladies (unfortunately I don't remember their names) were friendly, fixed a nice breakfast (my son even got second's because he looked hungry!), and they did our laundry for us. Michael was also very, very helpful! Our room was very clean, there was no TV in it when we arrived, but one was brought in as soon as I mentioned it! Everyone there was very, very warm and welcoming. My son enjoyed lounging around in the tv/entertainment area, my sister and I enjoyed sitting on the little veranda that was right outside of our room. We were also given free passes to get into Frenchman's Cove Beach every day. San San Beach is closer and also beautiful, but you have to pay yourself to get in (though it's not expensive). We ususally just took a route cab to Frenchman's Cove and back. Michael even ran into us in Port Antonio one day and helped us out because we weren't quite sure where to catch a taxi back to Moon San Villa. Our experience there was wonderful, we'd go back anytime! Here's a tip when it comes to Jamaicans....if you are kind and respectful, they will go to great lenghts to help you out. They're very sweet, kind people...a lot of it depends on YOUR attitude! Nuff said!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank GermaicanSpiceGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Boston
Reviewed 15 July 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from a three day stay at the Moon San Villa and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The views from the Villa are breathtaking and unforgettable. We were greeted at the airport by the Moon San driver (an addition cost because we were not staying 7 nights) and Donna. They willingly took us to the market and on our way in and helped us with navigating a local spot for take-out dinner.
The room was clean, bright and adorned with Caribbean flair. We stayed in the highest cost room per night available and felt the bathroom and small balcony made it worth the extra few dollars per night. Our room was cleaned and fresh towels greeted us every time we returned from the beach. Moon San also provided us with large towels for the beach as well as offered, free of charge, rafts and beach chairs.
Greg offered to taxi us to San San beach at anytime during the day and also sailed us over when the local horse owner took us for an hour horseback ride (also arranged by the Villa staff at our request). For breakfast we ordered french toast and eggs. Both came with toast and were deliciously homemade by Donna in a timely manner. Donna was able to give us suggestions for lunch and dinner each night.
I cannot stress how beautiful the lagoon (where the Villa is located) is. We enjoyed the lagoon and San San beach without another soul in sight. It was truly a spectacular spot that we will never forget!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Love2TeachABCs
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Myself and best friend stayed at moon san for the last 2 weeks in June. We stayed in the master bedroom for £103 per night, what a disappointment we were sick as pigs when we saw the room, it was aged and dated with dull orange painted walls, there was no headboard, the balcony was as small as a baby's cradle there was one wooden chair in the room so we would take it in turns to sit on the balcony. The view when you look pass the villas in front was nice. The african star was aged and as for the glass bottom what glass bottom it was so filthy you could not see anything, we did not feel it was at our disposal as advertised. Donna was cold and unfriendly breakfast was a joke there was no ackee and saltfish we were told ackee is not in season yet when we went into town to the markets ackee was plentyful and for sale, Donna said it was too expensive to buy I dont want to hear that when I have paid you £103 per night. Our room was never cleaned properly we lived with a dead black bug for the whole of our stay as proof of that. The property is dirty and full of cobwebs, the cooker needs to be chucked out and the place needs a new fridge. There is no kettle or microwave yet the owner has both in his room. One day Donna did not clean our room because we were still in it and she needed to go to town of course we complained to the owner. Donna cleaned the room on her return but she cold shouldered us for the reach of our stay. Michael was fun and made us feel welcome. We would never stay there again the villa is in desparate need of a revamp and could be okay under new management.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
10 Thank mmorais8868
sansan1999, marketing manager at Moon San Villa, responded to this review, 24 July 2009
Dear Sir or Madam:

Re: Moon San Villa Stay Away

My name is Penny Jones and I am the marketing director for Moon San Villa at the Blue Lagoon.

I am writing this letter in an effort to have the review “Moon San Villa Stay Away,” removed from your website, as this is currently a legal matter. Moon San Villa has reported these guests to the Port Antonio Police Dept. for theft and vandalism.

In June 2009, these guests stayed at Moon San Villa and then rebooked for an additional 7 days. These guests had reservations in Ocho Rios and cancelled those reservations to extend their stay at Moon San Villa. We gave these guests a reduced rate in order to accommodate their needs. During the second week, the two guests started arguing among themselves and the consequence was that one of the guests made it very difficult for the staff and others at the villa.

There is some truthfulness in this review. Moon San Villa did not have a kettle for the stove and some of the glass on our glass-bottom boat does need replaced. Being in salt water, glass on a glass-bottom boat can look foggy, cloudy and unclean. Moon San accepts these complaints and has rectified these issues.

Reading the review, is so disappointing. The review is slanderous and damaging to the villa, its staff and our reputation. Since the posting of this inaccurate and mean-spirited review, Moon San’s rating on Trip Advisor has dropped from #2 to #3. Not only has Moon San lost income from the damages and theft at the property, but also we are not receiving booking requests and are suffering an additional loss of income. The inaccuracy of this review has had a profound impact on the villa and, because of this, other travelers have shied away from our unique and lovely villa.

As the marketing director of Moon San, I appreciate the effectiveness of Trip Advisor. Whenever we travel ourselves, we always check Trip Advisor before making reservations. We, at Moon San, make every effort to accommodate and please our guests. We also recommend and promote Trip Advisor on our website and to our guests. However, after this experience, we do feel that hotels and villas’ reputations and business growth can be damaged and there seems to be little or nothing that we in the hospitality industry can do to protect or defend ourselves.

I am looking forward to hearing from you regarding this situation and what you can do to help me resolve this. As you know, this is exceptionally slow economical times and an unfair review of this nature, has substantial consequences for the livelihood of a villa and could result in employment loss for ,

Penny Jones

Marketing Director
Carp, Ontario
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Four of us went to Port Antonio May 24-30th/09. Moon San kept jumping out at me as I was searching for a suitable place to stay and it proved to be the right place for us. Road conditions are horrid so getting a driver is a must and Moon San is affliated with a wonderful man by the name of Mr. Clark. He will deliver you from point A to B all in one piece and you can avoid a heart attack by letting him do the driving. We were warmly greeted by Donna who cooked an amazing full breakfast for us every morning.. I am sorry we did not get a chance to have her cook another meal for us as I know it would have been delicious! Assisting her is a sweet smiling person named Isolin. Accomodation is comfortable and casual and it doesnt take long with the help of the staff for you to feel at home. There is a breathtaking view of the ocean from the balcony and in five minutes you can walk over to the The Blue Lagoon. Another key person in the running of this ship is Michael who can take you by boat to the Lagoon as well as the neighboring beaches, ie. San San or Frenchman's Cove. Its a pretty boat ride along the coast. We missed out on the opportunity to get know Greg the owner although we did get to meet him for a few seconds on the last day but we did appreciate the presence of his life loving partner, Penny, during the week, who charmed us with her southern belle ways and delighted us with her southern drawl. More than just a place to sleep "You'all" walk away from a stay at Moon San Villa with the hopes that you can return again!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank jodieandconrad
Massachusettes
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Great location, awesome staff, and beautiful views. Convenient to downtown and cool local spots like Boston Beach. The management/owners were extremely accommodating and generous. We’ve been visiting Port Antonio for years, and thought we ‘knew it all’ but they (Greg and Penny) gave us great suggestions on day trips and nice local spots for dinner. We will definitely plan to visit again and recommend Moon San Villa to anyone passing through Port Antonio looking to spend some time in a truly special villa.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank weluvthesea
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 24 April 2009

My husband and I love travel in many of its guises, but there is nothing we love more than "finding" a treasure of a place that is off the beaten track. Thanks to Trip Advisor reviews, we spent 4 dreamy, glorious days (not long enough!) at the lovely Moon San Villa, a four unit villa perched on the hill just yards above a turquoise bay. It is situated near a few other houses that make you feel like you are not completely isolated, but fortunate to be there. The drive to get there was a challenge, but once we were there, we knew we would have driven twice as far for a place like this. The views from the pleasant rooms and the living areas are exquisite. The sea and the truly "Blue" Lagoon (from movie fame) are in their backyard. Tropical paradise, indeed. If you like the idea of NOT spending your trip surrounded by lots of tourists who never leave the grounds of their resort, go here!
I would be remiss if I did not mention the truly amazing people who are dedicated to making one's stay at the Moon San Villa completely delightful. Penny and Greg, the owner, made us feel comfortable every second during our stay. They truly understand what travelers are looking for, and they welcomed us in many ways. The staff, Donna and Michael, are beyond kind. The attitude of these four people exemplifies the phrase you hear everywhere in Jamaica..."No problem!" Want to go snorkeling? No problem, they have a boat and Michael will be happy to take you out or you can just swim out to the reef that surrounds their beach. Want a delicious lobster dinner? No problem, Donna will cook and set up a romantic table for two out on the balcony. Want to swap stories with fellow wanderers? No problem, Greg and Penny are more than willing and able to swap fun stories with you. Want to do some bicycling? No problem, Greg will handle every detail. If you want to find the real Jamaica, this is it. Ahhhhh....

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeborahinPA
luvinmytravel
Reviewed 20 March 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the end of February 2009.

I travel a lot to many different Caribbean islands and always knew I just HAD to go to Jamaica. We chose Port Antonio area because it looked less touristy and very Beautiful!
I dislike all inclusives and had been staring at pictures of the villas on the blue lagoon for some time! When I found Moon San Villa rented by the bedroom I was so excited!

We flew to Kingston and Mr Clarke picked us up and he was such a nice man! We really enjoyed him! It cost $135 usd both ways for a 2.5 hour drive. Although a little expensive He was worth it!

Moon San Villa is very Unique. It is only a minute walk to the blue lagoon which is amazing! The actual house reminds me of a beach/farmhouse, not everything is picture perfect but it feels real and cute.

Bedroom # 4 was what we rented out. It is the only room without a view of the ocean. There is no air conditioning either (however we never felt we needed it) It is not the most luxurious room but it felt "Authentic" It is one of the most private rooms in the house that I could see.

Tips For Room
1.Bring your own soap (no soap in room)
2.Bring your own hangers (no hangers in room if you really wanted to hang things)
3.No Safe in room to lock up valuables.

We never asked Donna or Michael about those three things as we didn't find it to be the biggest deal.

The overall feeling of the house is that you are in a bed and breakfast. Donna and Michael were great! Michelle was all smiles! We enjoyed them all.

There was only one deck and it is the very tiny deck that you see in most the pictures. Not a deck to lay out on and read a book. It is a nice deck to get a fantastic view. The other deck was locked up and closed off. If you got together with a bunch of people and rented the whole place out I could see how you would probably use the house far more. As for us we felt comfortable but not comfortable enough to use all the spaces.

Breakfast was very good! Not the largest portions but we really enjoyed it!

We were told it would cost 1usd to get to and from town. It did but not quite what I expected I suppose! Basically you stand by the side of the road and wait for any car to honk! Then you get in and it is kind of like hitch hiking but everyone does it! It was scary at first because you are not always in a registered "taxi" in fact half the time it is hard to tell which are taxis and which are not. By the end of our trip we loved every second of it! We met tons of locals and wouldn't give up that experience for anything in the world!

Our favourite restaurant by far was Woody's which is not very far from the Villa. We had a great time and HIGHLY recommend going there!

Overall we had a fantastic trip!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple