“An Incredible Little Hotel Jewel - Should Not Be In A B&B Category”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Moon San Villa

Moon San Villa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Barrie, Ontario
“An Incredible Little Hotel Jewel - Should Not Be In A B&B Category”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2007

We arrived at the villa on Monday, April 16th and stayed for a week. My wife, two boys, and myself really enjoyed the villa. We felt relaxed from the minute we got in the door. Everything was taken care of; Dave took our luggage to our room; and Donna made us feel welcome. Donna's a great chef for the villa. You wake up in the morning, head to the dining area, and Donna asks you what you would like to eat. You go out to the balcony, that overlooks the Blue Lagoon, and relax for 15-20 minutes while your breakfast is being cooked. It's incredibly relaxing when you're there. I'm the type of guy that can't relax on a holiday. I like to look at people walk by and take it all in. I like action. I don't want to shut down and I should while on vacation. This place made me shut down - which made my wife very happy -she says I never relax.

There's something about the air in Port Antonio that makes you feel happy to be alive. I found myself smiling most of the time. The villa and the staff really make you feel comfortable - help you slow down from your city day to day grind.

Port Antonio is in the process of being a really touristy spot again. If you want to enjoy the prettiest and safest spot on the entire island then you have to visit it now before you can't afford to. No doubt the prices in the area will soon go up with development. Moon San is still the most affordable Villa/Hotel in Port Antonio. Oddly enough, it has the best view too!

I can't say enough good things about the villa, the food, or the staff - Donna, Latoya, and Dave. They're all very special people! Thanks for showing my family such a beautiful holiday.

• Liked — beautiful surroundings, great staff, top of the line A\C in the bedroom, fresh fruit
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank bobmarley_om

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2007

Great Villa with views to match - blue lagoon a stone's throw away - great excursions nearby - don't miss Reach falls and Bluemountain bicycle tour

Staff is terrific - Ms.Donna is a woderful cook - go to this place for a perfect relaxing getaway in paradise

Port Antonio is NOT a party town , if you looking to party got to Negril - if you are looking to spend a wonderful/laidback vacation then GO to Moon San Villa

• Stayed April 2007
4 Thank sooryudu
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2007

I have been long overdue in writing a review but was prompted to after seeing Steves review. My wife and I stayed at Moon San last May and had a fantastic time. It was our first trip to Jamaica and we made a great adventure out of the trip. This is not a four star resort but was an excellent value. The view is ideal and Donna and Desmond are awesome. The owner Greg is a real character. We had some of the best breakfasts I have ever had. For some reason the chickens in Jamaica lay some of the tastiest eggs. It must be because they live in paradise.

Things in the tropics tend to decay much faster than elsewhere. A board could have been painted last week but look like it hasn't been painted in years. The humidity and the storms can do untold damage in a short amount of time. It may look like a property has been ignored but often it is due to the enviornment. The roof did have a leak when we stayed at Moon San but it did not take anything away from our enjoyment of the property. If you are looking for a great place to stay while in PA, I would recommend Moon San. We also met some great people who were also staying at Moon San.

• Liked — Value and Staff
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank JohnnyRoaster
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2007

Moon San Villa is a 4 bedroom property that sits majestically on a hillside above the blue lagoon in Port Antonio .I took the whole Villa( it can be booked by the room ) as I was on my Anniversry and wanted the privacy that comes w/ booking the entire property.By doing this we had the sole attention of the staff members Donna ( the cook ) , David (security) and Mr Clarke (driver to and from the airport).The house itself has a relaxed dreamyness about it with ample windows (w/ wooden shutters) and balconies to capture the idyllic views and ocean breezes,but without Donna & David our experience would not have been nearly as magical.
The food Donna prepared was outstanding . Breakfast was complementary and apart from the usual eggs, bacon , fruit etc you have to try her salted fish & Akee.The setting on the Moon room balcony was soooo nice and Donnas food soooo good we ate every meal at the House.
Anyone who has been to Jamaica will know you don't just wonder around by yourself .In this area David was our knght in shinning armor.Escorting us to the beaches and into town ,bargaining or stonewalling local vendors and generally being our man on the spot .
If a resort is not your flavor and you want to feel like you are the 'King of your own castle' , then the Moon San is the place to go..

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank walkaboutNewJersey
West Bloomfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2006

In Order of Importance to Me:

Location: Very picturesque ! What more can I say. The feeling is that you are in the middle of a rainforest. Take a short stroll down the walkway and the litter lined driveway to the Blue Hole. This is a very nice place for a swim and is fed by a fresh water stream and springs so the water is cool and clear. The beach you pass on your walk down is nice but littered and not particularly appealing.

Accomodations: The rooms are attractive and clean with a great view of the sea except for the room on the lower level which does not appear to have much of a view. The Master bedroom is a bit larger and has a larger bathroom and a very small balcony. As far as the rest of the house.....The roof leaks all over the place. Towels and buckets are placed strategically to catch the rain (and I don't mean just 1 or 2) and a blue tarp covers another area of the roof. This might not be a problem in some locations but it rains here in the Blue Lagoon very very frequently so the towels and buckets are never removed. The place could certainly use a paint job on the outside but the paint probably wouldn't stick due to all of the rotting wood on the perimeter of the roof. Maybe the owner is waiting for the whole place to collapse and make an insurance claim before he does something. These are not problems that have just popped up. This place has been neglected for a few years.

Breakfast: The french toast, eggs, and fruit were all tasty. However, when asked for ackee and saltfish I was told by Donna that it was out of season. First of all....saltfish is never out of season and the ackee was growing on the trees all over the place and was abundant in the market. A taxi driver just laughed when I told him this!

Tours: Make your own arrangements. We went rafting one day and spent approximately $25 US on taxi fare. Donna wanted to arrange this for us at a cost of $50 US. No thank you!

Alternatives: A better choice nearby would have been Goblin Hill villas.

• Liked — View from the balcony
  • Disliked — Maintenance and Leaking roof
  • Tips/Secrets — Try Goblin Hill Villas in the same general location.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
9 Thank SteveeWestBloomfield
sansan1999, Manager at Moon San Villa, responded to this review, 22 December 2006
This is Donna the manager of Moon San Villa.
I am sorry Stevee123 did not have a good time at Moon San, but reviews should be more accurate and truthful.

I went into Goggle and typed in Jamaica Ackee and the first site states there are two bearing seasons: between January to March and June to August.
Stevee123 was not in Jamaica during these months. Ackee is poisonous during the months Stevee123 was here and if I would have served him ackee he could have gotten sick or died.

So the comment about ackee was not accurate.

Salt fish can be eaten by itself, but most people mix it with veggies or ackee. Stevee123 did not ask for salt fish only, he asked for salt fish and ackee.

If you call other villas like Goblin Hill Villas, Trident Hotel or Jamaica Palace they will all quote a price of US$50.00 or more for transportation to the Rio Grande River and back. The top villas and hotels use only licensed taxi company that drive slow and careful.
I am sure if you look hard you might find a driver that will charge US$25.

So the comment about the transportation price was not accurate.

True, the roof was leaking, but Stevee 123 was told when he arrived that a storm had damaged the roof in one area and only one area of the villa. The floors are terracotta tile so we had to leave buckets/towels on the floor so no one would slip and fall. Stevee123 was told that the roof could not be repaired until it was dry.

So the comment about the roof was not accurate.

Moon San Villa has had many other guests before and after Stevee123 and we had only praise and
Stevee123 did not bring any of the complaints to the staff of Moon San.

I am single Jamaican mother and I am very proud of my job and Moon San Villa.

Again, I am sorry that Stevee123 did not have a good time at Moon San Villa.

Donna,
Manager, Moon San Villa
sansan1999@hotmail.com
876 993 7777

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at Moon San Villa for one week the end of Sept, 2006. What a find!

The view of the ocean/bay from the balcony is unbelievable. One night there were scuba divers with flashlights right in front of the villa. Watching the lights underwater from the balcony was a sight I will never forget. Beautiful and surreal. The Blue Lagoon restaurant was closed, but you can still swim in the lagoon. It is very private and secluded, most often we had the lagoon all to ourselves. It was like having our own private swimming pool, only better.

We had lobster dinners twice while we were therre. Once at French Mans' Cove and once at Moon San, both were fantastic. I would recommend Reach Falls and Long Bay as day trips. The staff at Moon San was great. Donna, the manager/chef, looked after us in a very subtle but attentive manner, we wanted for nothing but still felt we had our privacy. The entire staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was cleaned daily and the breakfast in bed was great. Make sure you try her french toast. Best I have ever tasted.

My boy friend wants to return next year with a group of friends and I say "Good Idea, I'm ready anytime."

• Liked — location, staff, the rooms, everything really
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — go there
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank CaliforniaIrie
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2006

We just returned from two weeks in paradise. Moon San Villa is everything they say and more. We were looking for a place away from the usual tourist areas and we found it here. If you want to see the real Jamaica, this is the place to go! The staff is like family, anything you could possibly need or want is there for the asking. If you want a tour, it is arranged for you. If you want a special meal, it is taken care of. Greg, the owner is there to fill you in on places that you may want to go to and lots of information. You are made to feel right at home.
We were just a few steps from the Blue Lagoon and you can not begin to imagine the beauty of the area. A trip to town is only a few minutes away by taxi for a dollar a piece. You are not harrassed by the locals trying to sell you their goods as you are in other areas of the island. There are many restaurants to be tried in the area and we tried many of them. We were not disappointed in any of them.

One tip I would give you is to convert you money to Jamacian, it's easier that way. And don't count on using you credit cards there, most places are not set up to use them. You can get more cash at the local banks that have ATM's (if they are working that day).
We had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back next year!! Thanks to Greg, Donna, Carrie and Desmond!! We miss you already!!

• Stayed February 2006