“Give this family run B&B a try!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Antonio
Ocean Crest Guest House
Ranked #17 of 27 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Grand Cayman
“Give this family run B&B a try!”
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We stayed here after 2 nights in the Jamaica Palace Hotel. Although I can't fault the JPH (see review) I wished we came to Ms Lydia's Ocean Crest Guesthouse sooner. (or shall I say soon come!) The 3 nights we stayed here was how I hoped our trip to Port Antonio would be like.

We stayed in the newer top floor rooms and had the best views during the mornings and evenings sitting on the balcony. No AC, but the breaze made up for that. Breakfast in the mornings for USD5 was wholesome and freshly made. It is safe to walk to the marina and town from here and Ms Lydia has people that you can arrange with to take you to all the sights (Boston Jerk, waterfalls, river rafting, beaches etc.)

For dinner, do not miss Anna Bananas, we loved it and went back twice! The food is cheap but really tasty and good and the beers always cold.

The only problem was the mosquito's, but we just bought some repellent coils to sort that out. All and all a wonderfull stay that we will remember for a long time.

• Liked — Friendly services, location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Die2hasies

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
WA
Reviewed 9 September 2008

The family that owns the guest house is so nice! They have a guy there that does tours and he gives a fair price and provides a taxi. The breakfast is $5 American and they will make whatever you want, tranditional Jamaican or a hearty American breakfast! The rooms have a great view and they are clean and basic. There is no AC so just be mindful of that when planning your trip, most places in Port Antonio do not have AC, so just be aware! It has a great location and the walk downtown is about 5 minutes and the beach is about 10minutes. This is the best place to STAY! The Jones family is GRETAT!

• Liked — The great view and great location
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 July 2007

I stayed at Ocean Crest July 8th -12th 2007. Ms. Lydia is the owner/
proprietor, and a very sweet lady. I had contacted her via email regarding my accomodations and she did not require a deposit prior to arrival. In fact, I had to find her the next day just so I could pay her after my arrival, LOL!

This is a basic guesthouse, two levels. I stayed on the top level, and the view overlooked the east Harbour. My room, "B", was simple and clean - a full size bed, small dresser, small TV w/4 channels and a bathroom. There was no A/C, but a fan was provided, as well as one towel for the length of stay (i.e. no daily maid service, but I had known about that). July in Jamaica is more hot and humid than say, December, so A/C would have been very nice indeed. The rate was $50US per night.

I found out on my last day that Ms. Lydia would have made breakfast in the mornings had I arranged that ahead of time. Because PA is not as developed as other parts of the island, there are no restaurants within walking distance (except for Norma's at the harbor, for dinner), so for most of my stay, I ate fruit and packaged food from the local supermarket. No coffee or breakfast each morning, bummer.

The property is in a quiet residential neighborhood; a Jamaica Defense Force compund is right across the street, and another guesthouse, "Ivanhoe's", is right next door. In order to get a route taxi to other nearby areas and attractions however, you must walk down the hill into downtown Port Antonio.

To get up to my room, I had to first decend 10 stairs, then ascend 29 of them.

This guesthouse is perfect for the carefree, healthy and fit budget traveller.

If you want or expect a little more comfort, I would suggest one of the area hotels.

2 Thank yamangurl