“FDR is our kids (and one of our) favorite spots!!”

Franklyn D. Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We have been to FDR 5 times. I was the fitness instructor for the resort each time but also always treated as a guest with my husband and our kids ages 2-7 (first trip) up to ages 7-12 (last trip). We LOVED FDR, the staff, the dining, the attention to detail and the bar!! Every employee is looking to make your trip more enjoyable. We met families from across the USA who we still keep in contact with and travel with. It is a melting pot of professionals and several different countries are always represented on each trip. Our kids got so used to the grounds that we only had the (wonderful) nannies the first yr., then they were capable to roam freely (to a degree). Beach is coved in so the surf is not an issue. Staff will help your kids fish and build in the sand. I really like the kitchens in the rooms and the kids could eat breakfast without leaving the room. Each year we saw resort upgrades and improvements across the board. The overall feel is VERY relaxed and casual, our kind of trip!! I don't think our boys changed out of their bathing suits, dress code is not an issue (for adults either!!!). GREAT memories for ALL OF US!! We are headed back to Jamaica for Xmas 2012 but renting a house in Runaway Bay to see how it compares. I'm nervous that we should just return to FDR...stay tuned!!!!

Room Tip: we traveled to FDR last in Jan 2009
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ellen M

Reviewed 5 January 2012

My husband & I brought our 1 year old son to FDR in November for 5 days. We were a little skeptical about the idea of leaving him with the vacation nanny before we arrived. We knew right away that we had made the right choice when we met Lisa. She was great with our son and we never worried once. The resort is small enough that your child is never far away, but mom & dad can completely relax knowing baby is in good hands. We also had Lisa stay over one evening so that we could have dinner alone, which was wonderful. The resort is not a luxury spot, but it is very clean, the staff is phenomenal and you get to meet a lot of other parent & kids in a very fun environment. We CANNOT WAIT to go back this year! If you have small children and are on the fence about visiting FDR, don't be. Book your trip today!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Nikki074
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We went to FDR actually in 2010. It is a great place for children and teens as the activity directors AKA nannies really help manage the children and teens. It gives the parents a time to relax yet being close enough to see that they are being taken care of. It is small but beautiful location with their beach connecting to other beaches that allow you to walk for miles. The chef's are wonderful. My mother is deabetic and I requested desserts that she could eat and they made special desserts EVERY night. We had a birthday and they made special food for that. They make you feel like royality. Their service is top notch!

Room Tip: They were remodelling rooms so not sure.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank georgiabum
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We just returned from our first trip to FDR. FDR is a great family resort. They ideally set up for families with kids 8 and under due to the nannies, but my 15, 14, and 11 year olds are ready to schedule another trip. The teen and preteen coordinators do a great job with the kids. They always have something planned and do a great job of encouraging the kids to be involved.

My 11 year old loves to spend the entire day in the water and having the nanny to follower her around allowed me time to relax.

The bar and bartenders were great.

The food is not as good as other all inclusives I have visited, but is was fine. The property is old and could use some updating and repairs. But, it has many charming features and great views.

FDR's biggest strength is that they please the kids and they do it better than any place outside of Disney that I have ever visited.

If you are looking for cavier and exotic marble bathrooms, FDR is not the place for you. If you are a couple with no kids, this is not the place to visit. But, if you are looking for a great family vacation that allows the family to have fun together or apart, FDR is a great choice.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank dbthokie
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We returned to Texas from our first visit to FDR on Dec 21, 2011. My group included my wife and me, our three children (ages 8, 6, and 2), and my parents. I have been to many resorts in the Carribean and I have to say this property is very unique. The people at FDR make all the difference .. .from the nannies who make you feel comfortable and give parents the ability to spend individual time with each child, to the grill chef who fried the small fish my son caught on the pier, to the owner who is very willing to share a beverage with you and tell stories about Jamaica and the resort history. The resort grounds are compact (which made it feel safe to me) and the facilities and food are average.

If you are looking for a large beach, gourmet food, swim up bar or late night parties, then this resort isn't for you. If you are looking for a low stress way to enjoy the Carribean with your children and friends, then there is no better place than FDR. We will be visiting again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank R H
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I'm really surprised by all of the great reviews. My husband and I arrived at this resort in November 2011 with high expectations and were so disappointed that we left the following morning. It is merely a babysitting resort. I suppose it's the nannies that everyone else is raving about. My husband and I didn't bring our son (10) and thank goodness we didn't because even he would have been disappointed. The beach is no more than 200 feet long and most of the sand is being used for kid’s toys and play houses. Staff suggested we use the beach of the resort located next door. That would have required scaling a 10ft fence or walking over by street. She told us the water and sand was fair game but we shouldn't use their beach chairs or they would get upset! Woe! There are only two restaurants on the resort and the food is just okay. As for adult entertainment… there isn’t any, the kiddies have to get to bed early so the place is a ghost town after 9 p.m. Our room was a nice size. However after a shower the entire bathroom floor turned into a kiddy pool. The room and the common areas of the resort could use an update – and the toys and play areas need to be thrown out and replaced! Parents, if you’re looking for a place to stay with a nanny service and your expectations are low this is the place for you. Couples beware!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
15  Thank polkt
fdrsales, Director of Sales at Franklyn D. Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2011

The Guests arrived at the Franklyn D Resort & Spa on November 12, 2011 at 4:15pm.
In the evening at 7:24pm they reported to the Front Desk that they would like to be transferred
to a large adults only Resort the following morning at 11:00am.
On the night the guests stayed at FDR we had a gala and live local entertainment which was the highlight of the week. In the morning at 11:00am on November 13, 2011, the guests were delighted to be transferred to a thousand room, hotel in the area.

We would like to thank you for sharing your review with us and apologize for any inconvenience
experienced on your vacation. FDR aims consistently to deliver a professional and hospitable
service to our guests and trust you will visit with us again in the near future with your family.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Again!!!! This is our 3rd time this year!!! Our favorite home away from home! Wonderful staff!!! Amazing nannies!! Loraine and Sanique!!! I would say... our 4th time will be sometime in the next future!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Franklyn D. Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!