“Perfect getaway for the whole family!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Franklyn D Resort & Spa

Franklyn D Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
“Perfect getaway for the whole family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

We just returned from our first (of hopefully many) stay at the FDR about two weeks ago. My husband, our 15 month-old daughter, and I all had a fabulous time.

The Franklyn D Resort is a place for families with small children. If you do not have children, or if your children are over about 10 years old, I would pick a different resort. That being said, the vacation nanny system at this resort was FANTASTIC!! You have the same person every day, and you really get a chance to get to know her and so do your kids. What really impressed me about the vacation nannies is that all of them seemed responsible for all the children. There was never a sense of "that kid isn't my responsibility". Of course, the primary nanny was always nearby, but on many occasions different nannies would come up to our daughter and smile and say hi to her.

The staff was always very friendly and helpful. The entertainment crew were actual friends by the end of our stay. (Thanks Kerry, Kevin, Comay, Omercyre, and Tamika!!)

I was a bit worried before coming about the reviews that called the place a "dump" and "in need of repairs". Let me tell you, the resort is not in perfect condition, but I would not call it anything more than "lived-in". The sea air definitely takes a toll on a property, but I think the maintenance staff has done a fine job keeping up. Besides that, the place is extremely clean. I don't think I saw a spiderweb anywhere. We did have ants in our room so we had to make sure not to leave food out, but honestly I'd expect this in a tropical location.

The food was very good. I've been to another all-inclusive resort in Mexico, and the food there was edible but nothing special, and very repetitive. The FDR does a very good job of offering different cuisines, including Jamaican, and mixing things up with their specialty restaurants. Even doing things such as putting the buffet out on the beach really gives the food and ambience a nice change-up. Furthermore, my daughter would usually nap during our nanny's lunch-break so we would go down to the lunch restaurant, place our orders, and then the staff would bring it to our room.

A few complaints. First, they need to get more beach towels. When we were there, they weren't even at half-capacity but there were never any beach towels!! I always had to wait or ask someone (who would usually magically produce a couple from a closet somewhere). Second, the transfer from the airport needs some serious work. We had to wait over an hour on the bus before we departed. I realize that we were waiting for some other families, but we were all on board for at least 25 minutes before the bus finally left. A family resort needs to take into consideration that there are going to be small (very impatient) children and after a long day of traveling we just want to get to the resort. Also, don't believe the website when they say they are located 30 or 45 minutes from the airport. Plan on an hour and a half, minimum. More with traffic.

All in all, this was a great time and we will be going back!

Room Tip: The rooms are all very large with kitchenettes. Room 28 had a nice view of the ocean.
1 Thank sesweasel7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

We are planning to go back this year for my birthday.This is the perfect place for families to relax,each day for me is spent just taking it as it comes.Kenny is the best,also the others but I can tell you that the smile,taking timeout to talk with us,he is #1,he takes care in ensuring that my birthday is memorable and all the questions I have is answered .The rooms are well kept and clean from the moment i walk I can tell it was made especially for me,the decorations are always awesome I dont want to remove them.My son is always around supervised by the nannies and i can tell you I need not to worry as they take great care of him.The food is great,the drinks excellent all the way.The service is the BEST,everyone is always smiling and makes you feel welcome all the time.The gym is a plus too after eating all that then you know what to do.
The grounds are beautiful,the trees,the flowers the surroundings overall.
Overall I think they have everything thing that makes me happy and its my home away from home.Keep doing what you are doing and this is why FDR is #1.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

First time visit to this hotel and my last. It is a very quaint hotel. If you go away on vacation to indulge in food, good wine and a luxury room, this is not the place for you. (I fall into that category and must have been spoiled at the other All inclusive resorts). But if you are willing to sacrifice this to get quiet time away from your kids, you found your place. I'm going to break down the services since some of them were great and then others were poor

Nanny service : 5 stars. Although our child was older and only spent 2/3 of the day with the nanny she loved spending time with her. The nanny went in the water and ocean with her whenever she wanted to go. Very playful and interactive.

Staff: 5 star. The staff was very helpful, funny and was always there at your service. The bar and the grill staff were the best.

Food/Restaurants: 2 star. The food from the grill was always good and hot (temperature wise). The food at the restaurants (even when it was a la carte) was not very good. They just used cheap cuts of meat and made the food too early so by the time they put it out it was cold (buffet). The house wine was horrible (only had 2) so you had to purchase wine ($15+ if you wanted to drink wine). For an all inclusive resort they should include multiple varieties of wine (especially when their house wine is so bad). You also had to pay for bottled water if you wanted it. The water at the hotel was fine to drink but I also like having bottled water to bring with me when I went walking on the beach. Only 1 restaurant was open for 3 of the 7 nights were there so you had to eat there or the Grill. I ate at the grill often and was getting tired of the food.

Room: 3 star. It was very spacious and clean. Just run down and old fixtures. I believe I stayed in a recently renovated room also (scary to think what a non-renovated room looks like). The owner could make it so much nicer if they replaced some fixtures (just small details). The bathroom was clean but very “grungy” and cheap old fixtures. The bedroom was very nice and the view of the balcony was great (we had an ocean front room which they provided a complimentary upgrade. .. that was nice!). We wanted to shower before dinner (which was at 6:30) and the water was always cold!! Make sure you bring your own shampoo, conditioner and lotion. They only supply a shampoo/conditioner mix and it left your hair in knots (especially if you had long hair). I had to work a few days and needed to call toll free numbers to dial into the conference bridge. Toll free numbers are free but you have to call the front desk to get you connected and then after 30 minutes you automatically get disconnected. Not good if your meeting goes longer than 30 minutes!! Bed was very comfortable.

Pools: 2 star. The pool with the waterslide was always very cloudy and not very clean. However after the place got inspected it miraculously was clean. The Jacuzzi didn’t work either when we were there. There were only about 15 families there and they had a hard time keeping with making sure clean towels were available.

Beach: 3 star. We enjoyed the cove. It had a very small beach for the kids to explore and dig for hermit crabs. If you wanted to go to a more spacious beach you had to walk around the hotel to another section. Getting to the other side was not as bad as the other reviews said they were. However if you had children less than 5, I could see where it might be hard to get them to the other side.

Atmosphere/Hotel: 3 star. Since the resort is so small, you met everybody there and saw them often. It was very quaint and it felt like you were one big happy family. I felt comfortable with my daughter walking around the hotel by herself since it was so small. Considering it is a family hotel, I was surprised with all the safety hazards around there (steps are at different heights, electrical wires exposed, etc). They definitely don’t have the same regulations as we have in America.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room and beachfront
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Tina L
Trishawana, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 February 2013
We appreciate your detailed comments about your visit with us here at the Franklyn D. Resort and Spa.

During the week January 6 – 13, 2013 on your visit, our records indicate that there were two restaurants opened for dining nightly, except for two Gala Buffet nights.

The refurbishing of the room you occupied is continuing, so far we have put in new drapes, new shower with hardware, new air conditioning units and new flat screen televisions. We found that the new pedestal basin needs to have the hardware changed and this has now been done.

We are now reviewing the selection of house wines and we will offer a choice within the upcoming month.

We apologize for the inconveniences experienced and rest assured that we will strive to do better and to be worthy of your future patronage.
Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

We have been staying at FDR since it opened many years ago and it has only grown and gotten better over the years. It is the best place for families of any age. Our grandchildren think that this is their home and should live here all year long.The nannies are amazing, the staff the best, and management is hands on 24/7. We just returned from a 2 week stay and are already thinking about when we can return. The food was once again wonderful as were the suites, many of which have already been redone once again. The resort is immaculate.If you are looking for a family vacation that will leave everyone smiling this is the place for you. No wonder it is always #1. Make your reservations and pack your bags. Thensit back and relax and dream.

Room Tip: All rooms are well located and very large.
4 Thank loalee
Gilbert
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

We had our first trip to FDR September 9-16th 2012. It was hands down the best vacation we have had since our children were born. I honestly did not see myself truly getting to relax on a vacation till my kids were grown and I feel like I hit the jackpot with the FDR. From the moment we got there we were impressed. We arrived late and were extremely tired and hungry and we were settled in our room with a large plate of food and everything we needed for the kids.
Suite- Our suite was bigger than our first townhome. We were so impressed by the size of our suite. It had not just one but two large balconies. We had a lovely view of the ocean and we spent all our nights sitting outside.
Nannies- I can’t say enough about the two lovely ladies that cared for our 9 month old and 2 ½ year old daughters. Evelyn and Ikolyne (sorry for the spelling) were fantastic. I knew after the first day that they were more experienced with children than me, so I really had nothing to worry about. My daughters were so comfortable and happy that my husband and I just relaxed. My oldest would walk past me in the resort on her way to another activity and I would get a quick “Hi Mommy” and she was off. This pleased me to no end. I think the biggest treat for me besides the obvious having someone to entertain your kids for a week is that I would come back from a wonderful day and our suite was clean and all the bottles were washed. It has been six month since our trip and my daughter still talks about our trip weekly.
Food- I really wasn’t expecting much. I went in with no expectations because I wasn’t there for the food. What a pleasant surprise! The food was excellent and I couldn’t find a complaint even if I tried. I think the fact that I gained 6 lbs while I was there can vouch for the food.
Resort- Staff- The staff throughout the resort were so friendly and accommodating. Everyone was so fun and never made us feel like we were being a bother. We had a blast with everyone and look forward to seeing everyone again this year. If you’re looking for a 5 star resort the FDR is not the place for you. But I have stayed at a Ritz Carlton in Jamaica so I can compare the two and I see our family spending every vacation at the FDR.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Shaylyn D
Ramona, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

We are planning our 4th trip to fdr for this spring. It's the perfect place for families. We have red kiddos (4,6,9) and they have a blast. The resort is small so you can see your kids playing at the pool or beach supervised by the nannies and life guards. The accommodations are not 5 star but good enough a spacious for our big family. Food is average. What by far makes this resort a five star is the service......there are so many people we know by name and are super welcoming when we arrive. It's a great place. If your goal is to have a great family vacation without luxury then this is your place. The owner is on property interacting with guest everyday and is very approachable. Most interesting to me is that we have never seen anyone complaining about something...you know the type...someone that always finds something to complain about on vacation.....never heard anyone complaining at fdr. I am sure you could find something to complain about if you wanted to but the staff go out of their way to accommodate your needs. When you go, say hi to Sabrina for me.....favorite bar manager.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade on arrival
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Drnorah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

This was the first time we have taken an all inclusive trip anywhere and the first time I am writing a review online. I generally just read reviews but was compelled to write this one cause I see some misleading reviews here.

I have stayed in my share of 5 star hotels, but this resort has a purpose and it delivers on that purpose. The resort is for families with kids who wants to have a break from their daily routines and enjoy a vacation - period!

Our Nanny - Tania was excellent and accommodative. She was there promptly in the morning and helped out till evening. Our son usually doesn't take on to strangers. But, he became friends with Tania within 2 hours of meeting her!! By the time we were returning, he used to ask her to take him for kids activities and ask us to stay back... Wow!!!

The rooms are spotless and clean. I agree with the other posts that the bathrooms definitely need an upgrade, but again - if you are looking for a 5 star resort where you will be running after the kids or you want to pay through your nose for such service - look elsewhere.

The resort arranged for us to even travel to a nearby Dolphin Cove and Tania joined us - at no extra charge bringing along towels for us if we get wet. Talk about service.

We stayed during the Christmas break - supposed to be the busiest time of the year and I am told almost all the rooms were occupied. Still I never found any area to be over crowded. I always felt like we were getting individual attention like we were some sort of VIPs. As an example, we would usually ask to have lunch and breakfast by the beach deck - outside the typical restaurant serving area and Marsha (the supervisor) would always make arrangements for us. Thanks Marsha.

Since I came back, I have recited the story to at least 10 families and a number of them are already planning trips out there.

So, if you have kids and want to truly enjoy a good break - go here!!!

Keep up the good work FDR and hope to see you sometime soon!!

• Stayed December 2012
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!