We just returned from our first (of hopefully many) stay at the FDR about two weeks ago. My husband, our 15 month-old daughter, and I all had a fabulous time.
The Franklyn D Resort is a place for families with small children. If you do not have children, or if your children are over about 10 years old, I would pick a different resort. That being said, the vacation nanny system at this resort was FANTASTIC!! You have the same person every day, and you really get a chance to get to know her and so do your kids. What really impressed me about the vacation nannies is that all of them seemed responsible for all the children. There was never a sense of "that kid isn't my responsibility". Of course, the primary nanny was always nearby, but on many occasions different nannies would come up to our daughter and smile and say hi to her.
The staff was always very friendly and helpful. The entertainment crew were actual friends by the end of our stay. (Thanks Kerry, Kevin, Comay, Omercyre, and Tamika!!)
I was a bit worried before coming about the reviews that called the place a "dump" and "in need of repairs". Let me tell you, the resort is not in perfect condition, but I would not call it anything more than "lived-in". The sea air definitely takes a toll on a property, but I think the maintenance staff has done a fine job keeping up. Besides that, the place is extremely clean. I don't think I saw a spiderweb anywhere. We did have ants in our room so we had to make sure not to leave food out, but honestly I'd expect this in a tropical location.
The food was very good. I've been to another all-inclusive resort in Mexico, and the food there was edible but nothing special, and very repetitive. The FDR does a very good job of offering different cuisines, including Jamaican, and mixing things up with their specialty restaurants. Even doing things such as putting the buffet out on the beach really gives the food and ambience a nice change-up. Furthermore, my daughter would usually nap during our nanny's lunch-break so we would go down to the lunch restaurant, place our orders, and then the staff would bring it to our room.
A few complaints. First, they need to get more beach towels. When we were there, they weren't even at half-capacity but there were never any beach towels!! I always had to wait or ask someone (who would usually magically produce a couple from a closet somewhere). Second, the transfer from the airport needs some serious work. We had to wait over an hour on the bus before we departed. I realize that we were waiting for some other families, but we were all on board for at least 25 minutes before the bus finally left. A family resort needs to take into consideration that there are going to be small (very impatient) children and after a long day of traveling we just want to get to the resort. Also, don't believe the website when they say they are located 30 or 45 minutes from the airport. Plan on an hour and a half, minimum. More with traffic.
All in all, this was a great time and we will be going back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boutique all-inclusive family Resort where each family is assigned a dedicated Vacation Nanny to care for the kids from check-in to check-out. One upfront price includes accommodations are in large 1, 2 or 3 bedroom suites with iPOD Docking Stations and DVD Players, Continental, Italian and Jamaican cuisine from a choice of 4 restaurants, top shelf bar, kayaking, snorkelling, tennis, 3 pools, 100' waterslide, separate kids, pre-teens and teens programs with supervised daily activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Franklyn D Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Franklyn d Resort And Spa
- Franklyn d Hotel Runaway Bay
- Franklyn d Resort All Inclusive
- Franklyn D Resort & Spa Jamaica/Runaway Bay, Caribbean