We just got back from 5 nights at the FDR Resort, and our whole family had a great time.
The Resort: the property packs a lot of stuff into a relatively small space -- which is great because you can give your kids freedom to roam, while knowing you can cover the entire place in about 5 minutes if you need to find them. It has three swimming pools: a small kids' pool, the main pool, & the waterslide pool (more on this later). There's a calm, protected beach right at the center of the property which is perfect for younger children to build sand castles and wade in the ocean. For people interested in a bit more surf, you can take a short walk outside the property to a much larger beach. The FDR knows its target audience. It does not pretend to be a luxury, five-star sort of place. The property and the rooms are nice, though a few things show some wear and tear. If this does not deter you -- and I suspect for most people traveling with young kids it won't -- then read on for more details!
Activities: There's so much to do, for both kids and adults. Our kids spent literally hours going up and down the big waterslide & swimming in the pools. There's a great dive shop on site, which couldn't be more convenient for the divers in your family -- and the guys there are great. For both kids & adults, there is a full program of activities every day from snorkeling to tennis to fishing to games and more, so you can be as busy -- or not -- as you want. There's a kids center with an outdoor playground & lots of other activities to keep the kids entertained. And plenty of other kids around. Pretty much everything at FDR is included in your stay -- diving was the only thing that required additional money.
The Nannies: having a nanny assigned to you for the length of your stay is a major selling point of the FDR, & a unique offer as far as I know. The nannies are yours from 9am until almost 5pm. All the nannies we encountered were great with the kids. Plus, they knew all the schedule of activities & could run the kids around to whatever they wanted to participate in. Our nanny was extremely nice & focused on making sure we had a good time -- she would run around with the kids or wait in the room with one who was napping -- whatever we asked. She was also happy to stay late for a (very reasonable) hourly fee so the grown-ups could have dinner at one of the restaurants that is adults-only.
Food: There are 3 restaurants for dinner, plus a grill that's open for much of the day where they serve dinner for the kids. They also do special dinners on the beach twice a week (Weds & Sat, I think), so there's plenty of variety -- unless perhaps you were to stay for 10 days or more. For our 5 dinners, we only repeated at one place & even there the menu had changed. Don't underestimate the grill -- some of our favorite food came from there (and that's where the kids could get their ice cream fix...) The service at the restaurants & the bar was always great.
Rooms: Our room was a beachfront 2-BR suite. We had a good-sized master BR with a king bed. It had a porch overlooking the ocean, which was a beautiful place to sit at the beginning & end of the days. There was a small hallway & kitchen connecting our room to the 2nd BR, which had 2 twin beds. Plus 2 bathrooms, one with a tub. Overall, it was modest sized, but we weren't looking to spend a lot of time in the room. They did a great job of keeping the room clean & the fridge stocked with snacks & breakfast options. Oh, and there is wireless access although I tried my best not to use it.
All-in-all, if your want a family-oriented vacation in a beautiful setting with lots to do, and don't require all the trappings of a 5-star hotel, you will really enjoy the FDR. Many of the families we met there were returning guests, which is a testament to how much both the parents & kids like it there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive, All- Suite Beachfront Family Resort with a dedicated Vacation Nanny assigned to every family to care for the kids from check-in to check-out. All- Inclusive package includes spacious accommodations in large 1, 2 or 3 bedroom suites with separate living areas,kitchenette and balcony or terrace. Continental, Italian/French/ Indian and Jamaican cuisine from a choice of 4 restaurants along with a Sushi Bar & Creperie;Premium Bar, Glass Bottom Boat Rides,kayaking, snorkeling, paddle boards, tennis, 4 pools including- 100' waterslide, separate kids, tweens and teens programs with supervised daily activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Franklyn D. Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Franklyn d Hotel Runaway Bay
- Franklyn d Resort And Spa
- Franklyn d Resort All Inclusive
- Franklyn D. Resort & Spa Jamaica/Runaway Bay, Caribbean