“Friendly,accomodating but forget scuba diving”

Franklyn D Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Friendly,accomodating but forget scuba diving”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My dive buddy and I traded his time share for a week at FDR. Glad we did. We knew from dive websites that we should not expect much. We gave it our best but there was nothing in the ocean that was alive, less alone worth diving off of the resort. That being said, we loved the resort. The 1 bedroom room facing a gardened courtyard was wonderful. We happen to like the large old plantation style that is offered there.. Super big bed and great pillows and linens. I especially like sitting on the front porch overlooking the garden every morning with my coffee. This is the place to go if you appreciate service +. Like the other reviewers the service at this all-inclusive makes your vacation. Every night they do a different thing for dinner and really do their best. The food is good and plentiful. Though family oriented-we two single guys did not feel overwhelmed and had our quiet Jamaican space and relation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ted E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Lots of activity at our favorite family vacation spot this month.

During the 2 awesome weeks we just spent at the resort, they were building and testing a miniature golf course near the main pool! But that is nothing compared to what I am about to tell you. There is a rumor going around....

If I could think of just one thing that would make FDR an even better place, it would be just the thing I heard is coming.

We have been to FDR 4 or 5 times. Each time better than the last.

Not much to say that has not been said already on these boards. Everything I would have to say about the FDR experience we just had is more than positive. (Read my previous FRD reports if you are interested)

On to the rumor.

A SWIM UP BAR IS COMING!

We will be back soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Baronent
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Its run and owned by Jamaicans and they have pretty good service relative to the rest of the island. There is only one restaurant and one "grill." The food is actually pretty decent considering. The place has no real beach, but you can visit the beach at the resort next door, which is excellent.

The whole charm of this place is the nannies, who try to let you enjoy the vacation without taking care of your kids all day. Our daughter didn't take to the nanny, but it wasn't her fault. She was too young and was still attached to us.

The place is a bit rough around the edges. It isn't owned and maintained by a billion dollar corporation, so don't expect top-notch quality. The showers are decent if you use them during off hours, otherwise hot water is sparse.

All-in-all, we had a lot of fun and the staff was excellent. If you can handle a place that isn't 100% perfect and spotless, and want to meet some great real Jamaicans who will do anything for you including watch your kids, this is the place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank petesperl
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We just returned from a week long stay at FDR, and are already planning our next visit! Due to a delayed flight, we arrived about 2 hrs later than anticipated, bus was waiting for us at the airport to take us to the resort and the front desk was there to greet us before we even got off the bus. Right away our nanny was there with us to show us to our room. They already had a crib set up for our 1yr old and bed rails on the bed for our 2yr old. Bags were delivered to our room and our nanny took us on a tour of the property. We were there during their off season, so not all activities were going on, but the board was FILLED every day with fun things to do as couples and families.
I have to give a HUGE THANK YOU to our nanny Michelle, she has been there for 13 yrs and has had repeat customers for the last 12 yrs. She was amazing and my kids took to her right away. She was so attentive to our every need and the perfect help. Will absolutely be requesting her when we go back. All of the staff were so nice and by the second day there were calling us by name and always saying hi to the kids.
The beach was just the right size for the kids and when we wanted more space, we just went to the resort next door. And the resort was the perfect size, and I really liked being there when it wasn't too full. A lot of fellow travelers there had been there multiple times and I completely understand why.
I wasn't expecting too much in the way of food, but was definitely pleasantly surprised. There was a large variety at the Verandah for breakfast and lunch and dinner was always very yummy. The ambiance for dinner was perfect and the beach luau was our favorite night. The wraps at the grill became my favorite for lunch and my drink of choice was a frozen lemonade!
My husband went snorkeling off the pier and then also did a scuba course and said it was the best money every spent. He can't wait to go again. Also participated in a fishing trip, like I said the days were filled with activities you can participate in if you'd like, or you can spend a day in the hammock. That's what we did our last day!
All in all, this place was amazing and I can't imagine going anywhere else now. This is def. going to become a yearly vacation. Thank you so much FDR!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HoosierNessy
boston
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We love this place, have been coming here for eight years now (started at Pebbles). The staff is just exceptional. I'm a travel agent and can go anywhere, offers appear daily in my inbox... but keep returning here because of the intimate vibe, personal service, roomy suites etc.
Everyone has touched upon the awesomeness of the nannies, especially if you are a single parent. I wanted to also go on about other lovely features that I have learned over the years.
No annoying towel cards/signing towels out etc-here they treat you like an adult, no having to return them by 6p etc.
It's not endless buffet! There are many sit down meals, and no having to make reservations!
And, if you are adventurous, you can try lots of authentic Jamaican cuisine including breakfast!
I don't eat meat and am mostly vegetarian (I eat fish) and I can tell you the veggie options are terrific. Fish too!
They do your laundry for you for only $10! This way you can bring less stuff, just have them do a load halfway through your vacation. You drop it off and it's delivered back to your room all fluffed and folded!
If you have any kind of medical issues, there is an awesome nurse right there on the property! (I twisted my ankle last year and she wrapped it for me). There is also a pediatrician's office next door, and the hotel can assist in making an appointment, if its something the nurse can't handle
There is a photographer onsite named Perry who takes great pictures, and is very reasonable.
They are prepared for rainy days, there are two kids clubs (one for younger, the other for teens) that show movies etc.
You can snorkel right off the beach next door, or off the dive pier-amazing snorkeling, I have seen
sting rays, moray eels, squid etc. No need to take the boat if that makes you queasy (like it does me). They also sell Dramamine at the gift shop.
The bartenders are amazing, so talented. They make so many drinks from scratch with fresh tropical fruit, not the endless mixes at other hotels.
The snack bar has wonderful ice cream and that special Jamaican treat...patties!!!
The staff watches ALL kids, the nannies work together beautifully, you can really truly relax..
and did I mention the hammocks!!!!!
I was especially impressed one year by the kitchen staff, there was a guest there who was on a low sodium diet and they prepared chicken or fish for her at lunch and dinner. After a couple of days they asked her if she was getting bored and would she like to try some beef? So sweet that they worried about her palate like that!
We bring our own snorkeling equipment, but they provide it here for free. Also beach toys, no need to bring your own.
Did I mention that they have goat races? !!!! so cool!

I want to mention several of the staff, but they are all exceptional. I just don't remember all the names!
Tamika, Kevin, Karlene, Marcia, can't wait to see you all again soon!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank mrchillybeans
South Carolina
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We just returned yesterday from our week long trip to FDR. This is the first review I've ever written even though we've travelled to 6 all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean now. This was such a great experience that it deserves at 5 star review- especially while things are fresh in my mind. We loved the resort. We stayed in room 38 which was an oceanfront two bedroom junior suite. It walked directly onto the sand and I could see the ocean from my bed in the mornings. It was very comfortable and we had everything we needed- including beer, juices and snacks refilled daily by our Nanny.

Speaking of the nanny- OH MY GOD- she was AMAZING! We had Janice who had been at FDR for 14 years. She was so calm and patient with my two year old son. She somehow knew how to blend in with our family and be there when we needed her and took a step back when we wanted more one on one time with our son. She really made our trip stress free. My son instantly connected with her and I 110% trusted her when we were not around. We kept her around most nights after 5 pm to eat dinner with us. She would also take him to the Kids Club to get out of the sun and was diligent about sunscreen and mosquito cream/spray when needed. My favorite was when she put him down for naps and stayed in the room with him so we were completely free. She also cleaned around this time.

Speaking of dinner- the food was excellent! We went in with low expectations since we'd read mixed reviews. I thought every meal we had was delicious! I loved the breakfasts, the kids buffets, the Overproof restaurant (Jamaican), the beach buffets, the Beach Grill- everything was served quickly, hot and very, very tasty! I had the most of mangos, bacon, fish and rice, jerk chicken wraps (grill), and my son had a lot of fruit, chicken nuggets, spaghetti and pizzas.

We also loved the drinks. The bartenders are friendly and Ryan makes great Dirty Bananas. They have Red Stripe on draft which was great. We liked to take the drinks to watch the sunset or out on the big blue floats in the ocean.
The beach is small but perfect for the kids. There is a dock you can dive off of and swim/snorkel anytime you wanted. The beach next door is also very easy to access and we went there a few times for swimming too.

The staff was great. Everyone was so helpful and I loved that they started to call us by name on the second day. We were there at low occupancy so it was easy to get to know everyone there, make friends, and participate in all the activities. I really enjoyed having the place to (almost) ourselves. We had no problems with hot water and if we had little maintenance issues (clogged toilet) then someone was there to fix it in 5 minutes.

We also loved fishing on the pier, snorkeling and fishing boat rides, games by the pool, the entertainment/music/dancing at night, bike rides, sitting on our deck, and the BIG BLUE- an awesome waterslide. There are actually four waterslides there and my son lived on them the whole week.

I can assure you we will be back next year. Maybe even this year if possible. We had a wonderful time and I can't thank the staff enough. WE LOVE FDR!!!

Room Tip: We loved Room 38! Rooms 1 and 2 looked nice too. Those are all oceanfront first level rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank cwh915
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I had 4 amazing trips to FDR with my family of 5. The activities for children are out of this world and our nanny was always amazing....We had 2 different ones over 4 trips and we loved them both! We loved the fact that we could let the teens sleep in and we could enjoy water aerobics right outside our condo door! Our youngest would go to breakfast with the nanny while we worked out and then we'd all meet up mid morning to start our "family time". Fishing off the pier, hunting for hermit crabs, building sandcastles, swimming, arts n crafts, and Dale the kids acitivities director, made everyday special for my daughter! She is 12 now and last year we did a mega resort down near Montego Bay....she had fun snorkeling but told us she wished we were at FDR. She will never forget the incredible experience she had. Now we just can't wait to take a vacation with my eldest and his wife and our granddaughter. FDR has a deal for grandparents that I would love to take advantage of....hopefully next Fall! Thank you FDR for wonderful memories!

Room Tip: If you are able to let the kids sleep in....pick a room facing the pool. They have am water aerobics...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!