“Great family fun”

Franklyn D Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My family and I have just returned from a wonderful family holiday at Franklyn D resort Nd spa.
The staff were incredibly helpful and greeted us all warmly. They helped my mother in law, who is partially disabled, with accessing all the facilities. Thankfully they also had a teen age coordinator, which many hotels do not have. This really helped my teenage daughter to make friends and enjoy her holiday all the more.
The food was excellent and we did not have a bad meal for the whole 2 weeks. The menus were a mixture of Jamaican and European foods, so there was something for everyone.

The beach was glorious; the water was warm and the beach was very clean. They had a security guard on the gate and he made sure that children did not access the beach without an adult and kept non guests out. Beach towels were always on offer.

The apartments were roomy and were cleaned well each day, with lots of clean towels, soap, shampoo etc. The rooms perhaps could have done with some decorTing in some areas, but it did not bother us or take away our enjoyment of our holiday.

2  Thank Julie C

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We have such a great time at Franklyn D Resort we came for our 5th time. We stayed 8 days in Mid Aug 2014. It was great to see all the friendly smiling faces of the staff! A special thank you to them as they do a great job from the time you arrive to the time you head home. Our daughter was delighted to see Evelyn her nanny. They always miss each other between trips it so sweet.

We were promptly checked into our room after the usual check in form was filled out. We immediately felt at home since we knew what a relaxing time we were going to have. We had a 2 bedroom suite that was roomy, with a balcony off the master bedroom. Micro + fridge and hall to the bathroom before getting to the kiddies room. 2 double beds with a second bathroom are located here. Both bedrooms have flat screen tv's with satellite channels (including Disney and Nick for the kids). Tip: Ask the nanny who is also the person responsible for your room needs/cleaning to put up black out shades on the windows. If you don't mind bright sunlight in the the room early am, your good to go without them.

The food was a bit more on the spicy side at the buffet lunch and some of the dinners this trip. It normally was not like this in the past but I was sure to mention it as I know the hotel wants to be sure to accommodate all tastes in some way. We did however have some great cream based soups 3 of the nights. There is always the grill for chicken, ice cream, paninis, pizza, chicken nuggets, fries, burgers, and dogs during most of the day. The kids also have a special dinner section with all their favs!

They really have a great set of staff at Franklyn D Resort. Many have been there for years so there is a friendly face every where you turn. Some of our favorites from this trip include: Frank the main man known for his luxurious hair ; ), Evelyn our awesome nanny who is like family, Mario in water sports is great with the little ones, Shelly and Tanica in reservations, Michelle at the kids club knows how to run a fun program, Nicole also a nanny with a family we have stayed on the property with 2 other trips is also very very good. I haven't heard anyone ever complain about the nanny. We trust the judgment of the nanny's. They are more than qualified to watch/spend time with babies through teens. They will also take special instruction about how you would like things done with your babies. Allowing you time to relax, swim, eat, read, or take an excursion while having peace of mind knowing everything is under control.

We also went on an excursion to Dunns River Falls. My wife and I have been here many times over the years coming to Jamaica but this was the first time for our 9 year old daughter. She had a blast! We also brought one of the girls we know from the resort so she had someone to climb with her age. To me it was a bit disappointing. We picked a day that a cruise ship was in port so the place was JAM PACKED full of people. There were people everwhere on the falls as well as off the falls in the common areas. If you go, be sure to ask the hotel if a cruise ship will be in port the day you are planning. If so plan for another day! TIP: If you rent a locker for $8 they will give you $4 back when you return the lock. ONLY if you have the receipt they gave you as well. I got mine wet so it was unreadable. I was a bit miffed when they wouldt take it back even though it was numbered and all. Part of the scam to make money off a natural wonder.

I heard rumors they may be closing down Franklyn D Resort for a few months in the fall for some upgrades and repair. I have requested information from the hotel (on my check out card) about what they have planned. I will update you all once I hear back.

Will we return? FOR SURE. We will be back in 6 months time unless I am commissioned to review another property elsewhere. If I were to book a family trip on my own dime like I did this trip, its at Franklyn D Resort hands down.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the resort!!

Below is the review I posted from our last trip in case I missed anything!

Overall the vacation you can take at this resort is unmatched on the island. This is the only resort that provides a nanny in the all inclusive price. Its right on the ocean, has boats for snorkeling/scuba, water slides for the kids, a pool, kids club, and the other amenities you would expect at an all inclusive type property. We have stayed here 3-4 times now and always trust the nanny with our daughter. In fact both the nanny and kid cry when we leave! The food is good, but don't expect a huge spread like some of the larger resorts but there is an ample selection of good food. The nanny more than makes up for this in my opinion. The resort it self has a small swim area that is great for the little ones. If you prefer a bigger beach, you are free to use the beach in front of the hotel next door. The staff is very attentive and quick to help with the kid(s) when needed. Entertainment includes local acts and a one man band nightly. Kids are entertained by staff until 10 pm. The rooms are large compared to most resorts I have stayed in on the island.

Room Tip: Any of the recently updated rooms are great. The rooms are much roomier than most on the island. Req...
10  Thank brincher
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Truth be told we ended up staying at this resort because all the other runaway bay resorts were fully booked that day. When We arrived at the entrance to the resort I actually felt like going home. I think the resort including the entrance, grounds and rooms needs an upgrade.
That all said you can't put a price on great service, and FDR does deliver. The staff was exceptionally attentive and helpful ( shout out to Adrian who helped me to my room and the apprentice at the bar) I didn't use a nanny but I could see where they were providing good care to the toddlers while the parents were free to frolick.
The food was surprisingly good , this is actually the first hotel I have been to in a long while with fresh sweet fruits. The dining staff was excellent, water glass was always filled , plates were promptly cleared from tables and I never once had to get my beverage myself.
The other great plus at this hotel was the grill that boasted quite the selection of tasty items.
Overall I was actually quite happy the other hotels were fully booked , I had a great stay at FDR and look forward to staying there again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Kerry C
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The Resort was undescribably PERFECT for our family! The people are truly compassionate, caring, nurturing and gracious. I never was surrounded by so many easygoing, happy people in my life! They are always happy. Our nanny, Tycia, was SO attentive with our 4 children, one of which has Autism. Tycia and I form ed a sister-like bond. The FDR is the place to be!!!

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Cknuts
Reviewed 13 August 2014

After hearing about this hotel from a friend who had stayed about a year ago... and hearing they had personal nannies for your family, I was intrigued and have been reading Trip Advisor reviews and wanting to go ever since.. Finally, my family was lucky enough to come here for a short 3 nights this past week. What a perfect little spot for a family with small children! We did use Club Mobay at the airport upon arrival (what a time-saver!). When we arrived, the customs line looked to be hours long, however we were whisked off to a line with about 2 people ahead of us. We also had arranged for a private transfer with Reggae Tours--Cole was awesome (so was Peter on our way back). They had the car seats I had requested already strapped in the cars. With a Red Stripe in hand, off we went to the resort! It was an hour drive, but a safe drive and pretty to see the sites. When we arrived at the resort, our room was not ready but no problem..we went straight to lunch. By the time we were finished w/ lunch, our room was ready and we met our nanny, Shawn... Shawn was the BEST part of the whole trip. All the nannies seemed great, but Shawn appeared to be the most attentive at all times. We felt lucky to have her. While my husband and I laid out daily, she was in the water with them, even helping them up and down the water slide which they did about 100+ times daily. Shawn never complained and always seemed happy as long as they were having fun. People say "how can you leave your child with a complete stranger?" I don't know how to describe it, but these nannies are top-notch. Shawn met us at our room every morning at 9 am promptly, helped put sunscreen on the children and then whisked them off to some morning craft activity or the pool, while my husband and I stayed back at the room to leisurely change and pack for the pool/ beach. By the time we got to the pool, our girls (ages 2 and 4) were happily swimming with Shawn's close eye on them. The nannies took a break daily b/w 12:30-1:30. At 1:30 she would meet us at our room to get the girls down for a nap and clean the room while hubby and I went to go relax at the beach--awesome!!! (Beach at this resort not great--shallow for kids and lots of seaweed-- no problem--guests of FDR can just walk next door to the Jewel Runaway Bay beach which we did--gorgeous beach there.) I had no qualms whatsoever leaving the girls with this sweet woman. By the end of the trip, she was taking them off to do different activities or taking them potty on her own. We had her stay late one night (past 4:40 pm, they charge a $7/ hour rate) so my husband and I could go to dinner. I do think older kids may get bored here. Most of the kids I saw around the resort were younger children. We had a beachfront two bedroom junior suite, which was great. The food was nothing to write home about. My only suggestion would be to offer more food selections. The jerk chicken wraps at the grill were delicious. As you can see, most of my review is about the nanny and that was what MADE this vacation. We were SO SAD to leave Shawn at the end of our trip, and I do hope we can get back here one day and we will without a doubt request her as our nanny again. My only wish was that our trip wasn't so short!

8  Thank uvagal79
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Overall we cannot recommend this place enough for parents with young children. We traveled in mid-July and stayed for 8 days with 16 month old twins (first extended vaca in 2 years). We assumed we would mostly just be relocating our chaos to a nicer locale with a maybe few breaks here and there, but in the end could not have asked for more.

The vaca nannies seems to be unique, we were also a little hesitant about it, but liked that option better than only having a kids club, which is what most resorts have. We did a lot of research, and whereas the resort amenities are more like 4 star out of 5, the service and overall experience is unbeatable, not to mention the price is reasonable. As anything its all about what you prioritize to determine if this place is right for you.

Vaca Nannies: Ours were amazing (Nathalie and Ollisia) and you would be lucky to have them during your stay. They were very nice, experienced, and listened to how you wanted things done, but also suggested some things and even helped to force us to take a break here and there. We were hesitant to leave them the first day and a half, but as we got more comfortable and since the resort is compact enough to only be 5 min or less away, we actually went snorkeling and swimming, and got a drink and food once in a while sitting down, amazing to think i know. They plan the day around what you want, we typically ate breakfast and lunch together and in between we would usually take an hour or so to swim or whatever on our own and then meet up for the rest of the day to swim and play together. Hours included in your hotel rate are 9-440p, with hour lunch break (usually around nap time), and then you can pay them $7 an hour to stay later, just have to let them know that day and most can stay. We had them stay late a few nights to 8 or so and it was a great (do it, don't question it like we did at first). Did a mix of family dinner and then a couple nights of us only, the family dinners had mixed success. The best part is how quickly they warmed up to our kids, granted it helps they are cute (which also came in handy on the best described as hell of a plane ride, luckily the overall trip was worth the 3.5 hours of torture for all), but they too are parents and were very caring to the kids. By the end of the week they felt like extended family.

Resort grounds: Its compact so you can walk anywhere in 5 minutes and has beach access, boat access, pool, kids club, playground,etc, anything you likely need on a small resort. We were there in off-season so it was great. I could see it being a little packed during high season but you get that at large resorts too and the amount of rooms is probably about right for the size from what we could tell. There is also a spa on site, but we didn't do it.

Beach: There are essentially two beaches directly on the resort, but they are more coves built for babies or people to wade into and not a lot of people, they are small. Directly next door, like literally, is a larger resort that allows access to their amazing long beach. You are not supposed to sit on their chairs (there are a few that FDR has next to their Spa) but you can walk and swim and its a great beach directly connected that takes maybe 1 minute to walk to. If you want a resort that you lie out in front of vast beach all day, might not be best for you, but if you mainly want to relax, swim, and take part in activities you'll be good. There is also a pier adults and older kids can swim from that has a larger area out in the water.

Pool: There is a main pool that is pretty standard but its a decent size for the resort and all you need. We swam there with the babies often. Additionally there is a kids waterslide on their pier that is great for slightly older kids and adults of course.

Food: The food we had was great. If you are looking for high-end gourmet then you would likely call it standard, but overall we liked it a lot. Breakfast and lunch are essentially a buffet but there is a grill on all the time to get some standard fare like burgers, jerk chicken, etc. Dinner (at least in slow season) is a rotation of places, there is the main dining area (half outside/covered) and there are a couple piers they also set up to serve Jamaican cuisine one night and Italian another. They also had a beach buffet one night.

Service at restaurants/bars: Awesome. Everyone was great and we're sorry we had to rush the last day before saying bye to everyone, they waited on us excellently and helped control our crazies, as well as clean up after them. Remembered what you liked and greeted with a smile.

Rooms: Stayed in a Junior 2 bedroom oceanfront suite (2nd floor). Was set up like a railroad plan so you entered back bed room and had a small kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and another bedroom on the oceanfront with balcony. Didn't love that baby room was in back with entrance, but had locks and we just put some baby stuff in front of it at night. The furnishings are a little dated and its not the most luxurious room but its everything you need, still nice, and kept clean. The view is amazing, as mentioned earlier, its about priorities, the inside is nice and all you need, but if you are expecting a spa in your room its not, but maybe some of the larger suites have. By the way your nanny is also your room attendant and will clean and get you anything you need.

Tips: Have to say we never know what to do, but no one there assumed it or felt obligated, so as far as we can tell, tip as you see fit. We decided to tip anything that was above and beyond (like we went for a snorkel trip just the two of us) and of course gave our nannies a bit extra, but didn't do daily tips. We actually planned to tip a couple of the restaurant servers and tenders at the end as they were great but our last morning was hectic and we left early (sorry poor planning). Never any pressure felt though.

Activities: There is snorkeling and boat trips daily from the resort (included), they have an events coordinator that does stuff for adults and kids by the pool and beach, they have food and drink classes, they do tie-dye and kids crafts, and there is a kids club that has tons of toys.

Airport/transfer: They have a shuttle included, but if you are not bringing your own car seats you need to do a paid transfer (they can set up) if you want to utilize one. Ideally they would have some car seats to use as well in their transfer, but it is what it is.

Hopefully this gives you a good picture of the place and people. You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank ctrice11
Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you are a parent this is the resort for you!!! We stayed at the FDR resort during the week of July 14-23. I cannot express how much we enjoyed our vacation. We loved the nannies! Who doesn’t right? We had Shawn and Sashauna and they were fabulous. Our four kids 14, 12, 4, and 2 had the time of their lives. The older two rode the slide continuously and the younger two went without hesitation to the nannies. The food was delicious and the service is on point, when we went it was like we were the only family there. I felt like the resort employees catered to our every need. There are too many great ones to list! We were able to focus on having fun with our older children since the younger ones were occupied and happy with the nannies. We snorkeled off the dock, went to Dunn’s River Falls, and ate dinner together. This resort is not the newest, fanciest resort, but let me tell you I cried like a baby when I had to leave. We will definitely come back! Hey Frank it’s the Arizonian’s missing your awesome resort! We will be back. 

Room Tip: I just loved our room. It was 3 bedroom, 3 bath number 24. Loved it!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Royalton White Sands Resort
Royalton White Sands Resort
#17 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!