“WOW” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
dc
“WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

In all my travels this trip was amazing; my husband and I truley enjoyed everything about this place - It's family friendly something for everyone to do!! the total experience was totally captivating ... before we left we were making plans to go back next year and bring the children this time!!! FDR is the BEST ... and the food was out of this world 11 thumbs up to you all !! :)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kcgreenwald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

I began going to the FDR with my family in 1992. Since then, I've returned over 30 times. For a family with young children, it is truly heaven on earth. Children are taken care of by the best nannies available. My youngest two children (I have 4), were actually toilet trained by the nannies during our one week vacation. There are activities for kids of all ages from sunrise through sunset. Parents actually get to relax and enjoy an amazing vacation. The setting is beautiful and the food is great and plentiful. The rooms (villas if you choose a 2 bedroom) are spacious and lovely. Each room has a full kitchen and the nannies will stock the fridge with drinks and snacks. There are activities for adults as well, such as beach volley ball, snorkeling, scuba diving, tennis and games by the pool. The trainer in the gym, Donovan, will give you one of the best workouts you've ever had.

I have returned to the FDR as a single mother with my teenagers. This past January, my 16 year old brought 5 of his best buddies along. They had an amazing time. The hotel is just the right setting and size for this type of a trip. Although the kids were too old for the hands on services the nannies usually provide, their assistance was immeasurable. They shadowed the group and made sure that all their needs were met.

We're already planning our next trip back to the FDR. Can't wait to get back home and spend time with my FDR family.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank bren16marcus
Toronto, Ont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

We have 3 young children...5, 2 and 3 months. What a great vacation! We requested 2 nannies ($20 a day for the extra nanny) and it was well worth it. My husband and I relaxed while the nannies worked together with the three children and they brought the baby to me to breastfeed every few hours. The resort is small and so we never worried about the children or baby being too far away. We went to Beaches Turks and Caicos last year (which is double to triple the price) but found FDR a much more relaxing vacation with the children because of the nanny / kids camp combination. No wonder there are so many returning guests. Value for dollar..the best place we've been so far with our children. I would recommend you call the hotel before you leave and request "Jewel" as your nanny. She had so much energy and initiative and the kids LOVED her!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank 3kidsToronto_Ont
McDonough, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

I stayed at FRD from Jan 4-7, 2009. I had a great time at this resort. The rooms are great, the staff is great, the food is great. I do not have anything bad to say about this place.
The first night I got there I was in a resort view room. I was given a sheet to fill out with all the food and drinks that I wanted to be placed in my room. About 10-15 mins later my fridge was stocked and all the things I requested was available.
The next day I asked to be moved to an oceanview room and they moved everything for me and restocked my fridge. I was there by myself so I was not in need of the FREE nanny that was available to people with children. However, if I was ever in need of anything it was provided.
I ate dinner at the italian restaurant, which was great. The staff was extremely nice and accommodating. They made sure that all my needs were met.
Not to mention FREE Wi Fi.

This is one of the best places that I have stayed. I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank jetucker85
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

I have stayed at many fine hotels all over the US. I've stayed in Ritz Carltons, W, The Conrad in Chicago, etc... I can honestly say that this resort has the best staff I've ever encountered!! Everyone from the person who drove us to the resort from the airport to the people who bussed the tables was incredible. If you have children, you must stay here. The Vacation Nannies are amazing. Ask for Taydean, Vivian, or Althea. They are wonderful and did a fabulous job for us. We traveled with 3 families. Our party was 17, with 11 children ranging in age from 9 months to 18 years. Everyone was happy all week!!! One of our kids stepped on a sea urchin and the lifeguard worked diligently for over an hour removing the bits of sea urchin from her foot. When you go, make sure you go over to the beach that's a short walk from the resort. It's beautiful and so peaceful. You will love it. Food is ok. Our favorite meal was the buffet night on Saturday. Drinks are good and they have most of the premium brands that you would ask for. Wine is ok. If you don't like Red Stripe you'll be in a bind as far as beer goes. The little grill is good. Donovan is a great fitness instructor. I strongly recommend his water aerobics classes. You'll need them to burn off all of that alcohol!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mmprn1
AsstSales, Sales Manager at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2009
We thank you for your wonderful review! I can only hope that you will continue to spread your good experiences at FDR with the rest of the world. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Franklyn D. Resort & Spa very soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

We had a wonderful time (travelled with 2 small children aged 3.5 and 1.5). On the 'slightly' negative side, the accomodation is somewhat dated, and the resort small (compared to many "all-inclusives"). However, the quality and warmth of the resort staff and nannies and the enterntainment for the kids, make this the ideal vacation for a family with small children, and the small negatives are completely forgotten within hours of your arrival. Thank you to all the wonderful staff at the bar, restaurants, pool and kids club, and a special thanks to the nannies (Olesia and Latoya). This is the first time we have been able to have a 'balanced' vacation (i.e. the kids had fun and we got some time off). We will be back!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank David B
Thank you so much for your kind words. We understand that you had several resorts to choose from but are happy that you chose the Franklyn D. Resort to spend your family vacation. We have been doing constant upgrades throughout our suites over the past year. It seems as if you might have received a suite that have not been completed and for this we apologize. Upgrades to the soft furnishings in all suites have now been completed. We hope that you consider vacationing with us again in the near future. Until then, please continue to spread the good word about FDR.

PROVIDENCE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2009

We went to FDR from March 20th-March30th. We have 3 children: 9 yrs, 7 yrs, and 4.5 yrs. It was their first time out of the country and, having never been to Jamaica, I had concerns about safety, the driving, the resort, the nannies, the food – you name it. I can honestly tell you that it was the best vacation ever. When we arrived at Montego Bay airport, we were immediately brought to our bags and then to ground transport. As we walked to our bus, there was a Jamaican man on stilts giving out leis. My 7 yr old started walking toward him and I didn’t see her for a moment and panicked. That was the last time I panicked all vacation. The ride to FDR took about an hour and a half in a 13 person van. It was comfortable and gave us a good chance to see some of the country before spending the rest of the time in a resort, except one shopping trip and one bar excursion.
Check-in & room: When we arrived at the resort, check-in literally took 5 minutes. We were warmly welcomed and offered a cocktail immediately. The front desk attendant took us straight to our room, located in Building 1. We had Room 29, which had an amazing view. The room was spacious and comfortable. Our nanny had gone home for the evening so we took the opportunity to get settled and check out the resort. We were not disappointed. We went to the kids buffet and were told about the kid’s bonfire on the beach that evening. Of course, I was thinking, “How could that be safe?” Well, the “bonfire” was actually a gated hibachi-type thing where the kids roasted their marshmallows, which they loved. There was limbo and a few other games where we got a chance to watch the nannies interacting with the other children. Each nanny seemed to make it her personal mission to see to it that her charges were very happy and content.
Nanny: We had the opportunity to meet our nanny the next day. Her name was Ollisia and she was great (Ollisia, we’re thinking of you!). We loved her and the children took to her right away, even our youngest, who is our difficult one. From that point on, we could see the children as much or as little as we wanted. She took the kids to arts and crafts, the playground, the pool, the slide, meals, and all of the other activities. They had a blast! She was diligent in bug spray and sunscreen application. Our children never suffered one bite. Ollisia was very professional, patient, hardworking, and accommodating, putting us at ease immediately. She quickly became forever part of our family. We hope we tipped her enough, though any amount would pale in comparison to her efforts. We will be requesting her every time we go there, since after visiting FDR, we cannot imagine ever going anywhere else. We’re already looking into booking again over the summer and Thanksgiving and Christmas….and on and on….
Food: The food was better than we expected, especially for an all-inclusive. Being from the Boston area, we have access to some of the best food in the world so we were apprehensive about this. This resort has several choices for everyone. I am a vegetarian, my son is what you could call a “meat-atarian,” the youngest ones are very picky, and my husband will try anything – twice. We all had plenty to eat and had no complaints whatsoever. Even better was the service. Our water glasses were constantly filled, our service was extremely prompt, and every meal was handled by smiling, gracious wait staff. If you are hungry at this resort, it’s your own fault.
Spa: My daughter and I had pedicures and my husband and I had massages. Both were fantastic and the staff was very capable and welcoming.
Beach: The beach on the resort was fine, despite some of the reviews. The “cove” made it easy for small children to play, and you just walk through the gate to the beach next door for some amazing right-off-the-beach snorkeling. If you want miles of desolate white sand beach on a resort with mediocre staff, food, and entertainment, go somewhere else.
Entertainment: Wow – what can I even say that would do justice to the phenomenal entertainment staff? Hats off to Curtis (Caroline misses you!), Kervan (thank you for the Ice-cream and Cake song! We listened to it on the way home from the airport), and Kevin who all treated my children like gold, who played with them constantly- whether it was Jenga at the pool or a basketball or volleyball game, who always had time for them, and made my children want to move to Jamaica. They entertained us as well, with games like Name That Tune, Bingo, Ring Toss, and spending much time building great rapport and friendships I can only hope will last forever. They are truly amazing individuals who we grew to love in a very short period of time. It was only after a couple of days that we realized these people, along with the rest of the staff is what makes the resort so special. The nightly entertainment was great from Karaoke to fire-eaters to Jamaican dancers to Kharuso, who was so captivating and entertaining that we never wanted him to stop singing. Again, hats off. There were also many children’s shows, which were cute – fashion shows, talent shows, etc. It gave the kids a chance to perform in an environment they were comfortable in, with all the other kids, nannies, and parents cheering them on.
Bartenders: These men and women are rockstars. Craig, Kemron, Shevoy, Chrisse, Daemon – thank you, thank you, thank you. When our kids were ordering their 4th Jamaican sunshine in an hour, your smiles were appreciated. From beginning to end, your service was perfection and your personalities were warm, engaging, and fun. We love how you learned our names and our drinks the very first day and we appreciate all of you completely. Tip these people – they work hard!!!
Management: Tony, the bar manager, was one of the first people we met when we arrived and one of the hardest people to say goodbye to. He always had a smile and a kind word. He was professional but friendly, quiet but gracious, and we feel that he was one of the people that really made a positive difference in the quality of our vacation. I had an opportunity to meet the owner, Frank Rance, a few days into my stay. He was an affable, down-to-earth gentleman who seems genuinely interested in what his guests think about the resort. I let him know that we loved it and loved the nanny idea, but that its success lies squarely in the hands of his superb staff. It was here I realized that as beautiful as the scenery is, the people are what make Jamaica what it is. And the people are the best people I have had the opportunity of meeting. We fell in love with Jamaica because of this.
When we arrived at FDR, many people said, “Welcome to the family.” We really felt like part of the family there and as we were leaving (with me in tears), I felt that I was leaving part of my family there. Many of our favorite staff members were there to walk us out (insisting on carrying our bags even under our protest) and to give us hugs and well wishes. I cried the whole way to the airport for what I will miss until we get the chance to return. Simply put, it’s the best place on Earth. No, it’s not a five-star resort, but when you have three children who have just had the best vacation of their life and you feel the same, why would you want a stuffy, impersonal, five-star resort? If you are one of those people who won’t be happy unless you’re surrounded by opulence, this is not the place for you and, to be honest, I’d rather you didn’t go because you’d ruin my vacation. If you want your kids to have the time of their life, meet amazing people, and enjoy every second of your vacation, you definitely want to go to Franklyn D, Please feel free to contact me with any questions, especially if you want specific details about Donovan’s incredible aquacize, the kid’s club, the menus, the rooms, tipping, etc.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
10 Thank Kell1321
WOW! This review is great! Thank you for taking the time out to put your comments in writing. We are truly happy that we were able to live up to your expectations and our reputation in providing the best possible Family Vacation. And you are definitely right, the staff the backbone of this resort, without them none of this would be possible. I dedicate this response to all the staff at the resort - THANK YOU!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!