“Best trip EVER!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Connecticut USA
“Best trip EVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2009

Last week was the third time we visited the FDR resort and each time we come, it just gets better! We were there for a week and it was so hard to leave the beautiful resort and people of Jamaica. There were 7 of us (me, my 3 children and my cousin and 2 of her children) and we range in age from 4-49. Each one of us had the best time EVER! We had 2 nannies who were both great, Carlene and Janet. Janet was fantastic! She has been there for many years and gave our children 110%. They love her and can’t wait to see her again. The staff is incredible, especially Junior, Curtis, Kervan, Dale, Roberta, Tony, Kevin, Blacks, the staff at the front desk and of course Donovan! Everyone made us feel special and comfortable every minute of every day. The rooms were perfect, the entertainment was really fun, and food and drinks were delicious! So, thank you for a wonderful week. We can’t wait to return!

Stacey Lion and Family

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LoveFDR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

We are a return customer to FDR and we are always welcomed by the entire staff as if we never left. Everyone is incredibly friendly and there to make your vacation the best possible. We noticed an improvement in the food this year, especially in the adult "Italian Restaurant"...much nicer sauces. Hats off to the Chef! What we like best about the resort is the boutique size and feel. You get to know everyone in the first couple of days. The waiters and waitresses are superb. Andre, the cook that mans the outdoor grill is the best. He knows every child and adult visiting by name within the first day. He's always smiling and laughing while he cooks and his demeanor is infectious. If you haven't tried FDR you need to, especially if you have small children. The Nanny staff is second to none. The children pretty much forget they have parents when they are there. The Nannies do planned activities with the children or watch them swim and play. And if parents want some alone time at night to go eat by themselves and have a few cocktails, the Nannies will work late at a very reasonable rate. The spa is a very nice feature too. Nothing like a relaxing massage with the cool sea breeze blowing on you. What is really amazing is that there are new features every year, they do not rest on their laurels. We can't wait to return next year. Thanks FDR for another great vacation!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tcinext
dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

In all my travels this trip was amazing; my husband and I truley enjoyed everything about this place - It's family friendly something for everyone to do!! the total experience was totally captivating ... before we left we were making plans to go back next year and bring the children this time!!! FDR is the BEST ... and the food was out of this world 11 thumbs up to you all !! :)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kcgreenwald
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

I began going to the FDR with my family in 1992. Since then, I've returned over 30 times. For a family with young children, it is truly heaven on earth. Children are taken care of by the best nannies available. My youngest two children (I have 4), were actually toilet trained by the nannies during our one week vacation. There are activities for kids of all ages from sunrise through sunset. Parents actually get to relax and enjoy an amazing vacation. The setting is beautiful and the food is great and plentiful. The rooms (villas if you choose a 2 bedroom) are spacious and lovely. Each room has a full kitchen and the nannies will stock the fridge with drinks and snacks. There are activities for adults as well, such as beach volley ball, snorkeling, scuba diving, tennis and games by the pool. The trainer in the gym, Donovan, will give you one of the best workouts you've ever had.

I have returned to the FDR as a single mother with my teenagers. This past January, my 16 year old brought 5 of his best buddies along. They had an amazing time. The hotel is just the right setting and size for this type of a trip. Although the kids were too old for the hands on services the nannies usually provide, their assistance was immeasurable. They shadowed the group and made sure that all their needs were met.

We're already planning our next trip back to the FDR. Can't wait to get back home and spend time with my FDR family.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank bren16marcus
Toronto, Ont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

We have 3 young children...5, 2 and 3 months. What a great vacation! We requested 2 nannies ($20 a day for the extra nanny) and it was well worth it. My husband and I relaxed while the nannies worked together with the three children and they brought the baby to me to breastfeed every few hours. The resort is small and so we never worried about the children or baby being too far away. We went to Beaches Turks and Caicos last year (which is double to triple the price) but found FDR a much more relaxing vacation with the children because of the nanny / kids camp combination. No wonder there are so many returning guests. Value for dollar..the best place we've been so far with our children. I would recommend you call the hotel before you leave and request "Jewel" as your nanny. She had so much energy and initiative and the kids LOVED her!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank 3kidsToronto_Ont
McDonough, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

I stayed at FRD from Jan 4-7, 2009. I had a great time at this resort. The rooms are great, the staff is great, the food is great. I do not have anything bad to say about this place.
The first night I got there I was in a resort view room. I was given a sheet to fill out with all the food and drinks that I wanted to be placed in my room. About 10-15 mins later my fridge was stocked and all the things I requested was available.
The next day I asked to be moved to an oceanview room and they moved everything for me and restocked my fridge. I was there by myself so I was not in need of the FREE nanny that was available to people with children. However, if I was ever in need of anything it was provided.
I ate dinner at the italian restaurant, which was great. The staff was extremely nice and accommodating. They made sure that all my needs were met.
Not to mention FREE Wi Fi.

This is one of the best places that I have stayed. I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank jetucker85
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

I have stayed at many fine hotels all over the US. I've stayed in Ritz Carltons, W, The Conrad in Chicago, etc... I can honestly say that this resort has the best staff I've ever encountered!! Everyone from the person who drove us to the resort from the airport to the people who bussed the tables was incredible. If you have children, you must stay here. The Vacation Nannies are amazing. Ask for Taydean, Vivian, or Althea. They are wonderful and did a fabulous job for us. We traveled with 3 families. Our party was 17, with 11 children ranging in age from 9 months to 18 years. Everyone was happy all week!!! One of our kids stepped on a sea urchin and the lifeguard worked diligently for over an hour removing the bits of sea urchin from her foot. When you go, make sure you go over to the beach that's a short walk from the resort. It's beautiful and so peaceful. You will love it. Food is ok. Our favorite meal was the buffet night on Saturday. Drinks are good and they have most of the premium brands that you would ask for. Wine is ok. If you don't like Red Stripe you'll be in a bind as far as beer goes. The little grill is good. Donovan is a great fitness instructor. I strongly recommend his water aerobics classes. You'll need them to burn off all of that alcohol!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mmprn1
AsstSales, Sales Manager at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2009
We thank you for your wonderful review! I can only hope that you will continue to spread your good experiences at FDR with the rest of the world. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Franklyn D. Resort & Spa very soon.

Nuff Love & Sunshine,
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!