“I had a beautiful wedding and I fell in love with Jamica. Cant wait to return!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Franklyn D Resort & Spa

Franklyn D Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

I had a beautiful wedding ceremony here- it is my second marriage, and the ceremony was everything I had imagined! Trishawna Davidson was my wedding planner, and did a wonderful job with the decorated arch, table decor, cake, flowers and music. Lorenza Green was an awesome photographer. We had a ceremony with my 2 sons, 13 and 15. Our stay at FDR was excellent. The highlights were the morning power-walks up in the mountains across from the resort, followed by a swim in the ocean- and then breakfast!! We all enjoyed snorkeling-- the boat went out a few times a day-- and Capt Jack was funny and informative! We also enjoyed ping-pong and kayaking. My sons made lots of friends at the teen center and enjoyed nightly planned teen activities such as capture the flag, on the beach. The food was excellent, and i was glad to have a chance to sample authentic Jamaican dishes. The staff was friendly and a joy to be around! We were lucky to have stayed during the Jamaican Independence day celebration, and would like to return on our first anniversary next year. Our room was spacious and had a breathtaking view of the ocean. The stocked refrigerator was very nice to have. The beach was small and rocky, so when we went to swim we actually walked over to the area where the Breezes Resort had their beach, to swim where the beach was all sandy. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank radflamom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

We enjoyed our stay immensely. It is a bit more rustic than we are accostomed but the hospitality and warmth of the staff completely compensated for that.. Our nanny Andrene was fantastic. She was great with our 5 1/2 yo son and he took to her immediately.My husband and I felt as if she had been handpicked for our family it was such a perfect fit.
The accomodations were spacious and clean. The food was delicious and the staff was fantastic.Big Blue Slide is a blast and snorkeling everyday was delightful.
Did I mention the staff was great?!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank MichaelsMommy
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

We had a great time and went with several other families. We have a 3 yr old and a 6 month old so we were a little hesitant at first, but like everyone else, after being there a few hours, we were very comfortable. We actually ended up getting a second nanny for $20 a day, and this the BEST decision we couldve made. They staggered their lunches and really helped make the trip truly amazing. We loved both of the nannies Kerise and Sophie and highly recommend them. They are best friends and work great as a team.. BIG Shout out to them both. The nannies are what truly MAKE this resort incredible. The resort upgraded us to ocean view rooms and we really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony in the morning watching the ocean. One thing I didnt like was how far the resort is from the the montego bay airport. It took over an hour to get there and that is hard when you have young ones... but still worth the drive for the experience at the resort.
A few things I would like to see is better equiptment at the resort.
Some of their toys, chairs, bikes, etc are really outdated. Also, I feel like they needed some better energy at the bars, the staff seemed a little bothered at times. The food is just ok. Good stuff for the kids. We loved the beach bbq that they did and they had a little talent show which we really enjoyed watching and participating in.
I would like to check out the beach next door if we do go back one day (which I am sure we will). I hear that it is a very nice beach. My son celebrated his bday there and they did a complimentarty bday party on the beach for him which was really nice. All the kids had so much fun. After going to this resort it will be very hard to go anywhere else with small children.. this is the way to go!!! One last thing, the pool area is extremely slippery.. I recommend that you bring good water shoes that have some grip on the bottom.
We miss you FDR and hope to be back soon!!!

Queens, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

Greetings from the Rose family,
My husband Raymond, my son Jaden and I (Tahirah) just returned from an 8 day vacation in beautiful Jamaica and we absolutely miss being spoiled already. We stayed at the Franklyn D. Resort which was a very warm and comfortable place to stay for the entire family, my son loved being in the pool and in the sea everyday, and the adults enjoyed the calaloo for breakfast and rum punch at the bar. But, the best and most memorable part of our trip was not Dunn's River like one would expect but of the warm and friendly staff members but in particular my son's nanny Althea Nelson who was the highlight of our trip. This woman made us feel special, comfortable and most importantly took care of my 2 year old son Jaden like he was her very own offspring. My son is still asking for her and cried when he said his goodbyes to her. "I wanna go with Althea in Jamaica" is his new slogan. My experience with Althea have guaranteed my family booking a trip next year and requesting only Ms. Althea Nelson to be with us.... We miss u Althea, muah xoxo.
Rose family.

1 Thank jaden1015
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

My family just returned from spending a week at FDR, Runaway Bay, Jamaica. We've been to Sandals in the Bahamas and the Ritz in Puerto Rico and this place topped them both.
It comes down to one thing-the staff of this Resort. The warm and welcoming nature of the Jamaican people was evident the from the first minute to the last at FDR. Service here was second to none. All requests were handled quickly and always with a smile. Each member of the family had a unique and outstanding experience most importantly because of the "Vacation Nanny" feature. Krystal, the girls' nanny for the week, was a real gem. She bonded with the girls quickly and accompanied and joined them in a wide variety of experiences from shell collecting, fishing, swimming, arts and crafts and at the water slide. For my wife and I this was the first time we fully relaxed on a vacation. The kids (6 and 8) were having a good time, were safe and not dependent on us everything. We have never used a babysitter outside of the family in the States so I was a little worried that the kids safety would not allow me to take full advantage the opportunity of having a "vacation nanny" This worry faded quickly as the resort was full of families just like ours. The nannies were very watchful of the kids whether in the pool or on the beach. They were so professional and it was obvious they had received great training. There was never a dull moment for the girls and they cried when we had to leave because Krystal was not coming with us.

This is neither the Ritz nor Sandals with regards to rooms. They are a bit run down and need some updating but they are spacious, clean and comfortable with a great balcony. Our room had an awesome view of the beach. My wife and I sat on the balcony with some great drinks from the bar and enjoyed the sites and sounds of Jamaica's natural beauty. At the resort kayaking, snorkeling, glass bottom boat rides were all included. The guests there from diverse backgrounds and countries but all were friendly and full of information about the resort and activities. No need for wrist bands at this place everyone became acquainted with the faces of all the guests and our children played together. More than a few had returned multiple times because it's a great place to recharge and reconnect.

The food at the buffet was good and the grill was always open. We really enjoyed the adults-only restaurants. One, Overproof, served the most delicious Jamaica food (something we had never tried before the vacation). The daily activities ranged from 80's trivia to beach and pool volleyball, and bike rides were well planned. As a runner, I was accompanied on morning jogs off the resort by one of the employees most mornings. There were many off resort activities that looked like a lot of fun but we were enjoying everything on the resort so much we didn't take advantage of them this time around (maybe next time). The two bays were great for the kids and we had full access to the white sand beaches next door.

We loved everything about FDR but it was the people that made this place special!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

We stayed at FDR July 2-13, 2010. This was our second trip which we booked within a week of returning home from the July 2009 trip. We are a family of four – two adults, a 17 y.o. and a 6 y.o. Overall, we had a nice vacation.

The following review was provided to FDR staff upon departure and I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email from the Executive Assistant Manager. She wrote, “We do appreciate the time you took to give us such detailed and constructive comments and rest assured we will act on them in an expeditious manner.” I was quite impressed with the personal message. Also, I want to point out something that I was not aware of… I shared the review to our wonderful nanny, Ollisia, on our last night. Ollisia told me that I should have shared everything with her as we went along and some of the things could have been corrected. For example: the lack of hot water and the low water pressure. Because we had similar issues in a different room in 2009, I thought it was a resort-wide problem, but apparently, it is not. Lesson learned: if you have any concerns, address it with your nanny and she will report it to management/maintenance staff. Their goal is to provide a wonderful vacation experience, so we tell all our friends, report on tripadvisor.com, and of course, come back. (My words, not anyone’s from FDR!)

So, here’s the list:

GOOD
- As everyone else reports: the nanny service is wonderful! Whatever we asked for, Ollisia provided. She is warm, caring, and genuinely likes children. She has been with the resort for 12 years. I had chosen Ollisia last year, based on reviews on tripadvisor.com. We weren’t disappointed! There are two services that I took advantage of: applying sunscreen and monitoring the showering at the end of the day. It may seem trivial, but these two services gave me some extra time to myself and I hate applying sunscreen – LOL!
- It felt like our accommodations were upgraded from last year. The rooms were so much nicer and very nicely furnished/decorated.
- Unfortunately, we locked ourselves out of the master bedroom twice on the day of arrival (after that, we left the door ajar). The maintenance staff unlocked the door very quickly, both times.
- We think my husband suffered a heat stroke the second day we were there, and heat exhaustion a couple of days later. Many people were concerned. It was suggested that he go to the nurse, but he did not; she called him. A few days later, when we saw the nurse, she inquired about my husband. She genuinely cared about his welfare.
- The nurse is great. She followed up with us several times about various issues which included my husband’s heat stroke, three of us having diarrhea and the youngest getting stung by a sea urchin. (I had purchased an over-the-counter diarrhea medicine from the gift shop, so we didn’t think we needed any more assistance. By the way, the product cost $10 US.)
- Along the same lines, I called the front desk at 10:00 at night and someone brought a thermometer to our room within 10 minutes.
- The food is good.
- I thought it was a very nice gesture that the resort acknowledges the US Independence Day. There were fun activities throughout the day. The Verandah was even decorated in red, white and blue!
- The resort staff remembered us from last year. Bethea (the bar waitress) had even remembered that we don’t drink alcohol and asked if we wanted a non-alcoholic wine for our anniversary.
- The air-conditioning worked wonderfully (upstairs only)! It was so important to have air-conditioning since my husband got overheated.
- We didn’t have any “self-inflicted” electrical outages like we did in last year’s room. Specifically, last year, we couldn’t take a shower with the air-conditioning on because the power would go out. This year we only had one resort-wide outage.
- We celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary while we were at the FDR. Ollisia made a “swan towel sculpture” and decorated the bedroom and bath with flowers. She even arranged to have champagne and glasses in the refrigerator. I’m not sure who handled the ordering of the cake because someone asked my oldest daughter some questions about it, and then I was asked, but I suspect several people made sure that there was a cake for us. The Pier was not open that evening, so Ollisia requested that a table be set up at the end of the pier, under the gazebo – which was so romantic. And, of course, there was non-alcoholic grape/peach bubbly for an extra little touch.
- Regarding our anniversary – Kerry helped our daughters create anniversary gifts for us. She set up a private area and gave the kids craft supplies even though it wasn’t the “craft of the day.”

BAD
- There is no air-conditioning in the downstairs area.
- Ants were a problem this year. Ollisia brought us a can of bug spray which did help to some degree, but we saw ants throughout the rooms during our entire stay.
- In the U.S., the legal drinking age is 21; in Jamaica, it’s 18. Unfortunately, the bartenders don’t ask the teenagers and/or the parents how old the teens are. My 17 y.o. was served a mixed drink (on her illegitimate request) the first day we arrived. I spoke to the bartender who was apologetic. He said he would tell the others not to serve liquor to my daughter.
- Underage drinking does take place. In my evaluation form that I left upon departure, I suggested that they provide arm bands to teens who can or cannot drink. I think they need to come up with a system to get a handle on this before something tragic happens.
- We had very poor water pressure and no hot water. Please note that our nanny said this can be corrected.
- Twice we got locked out of the bedroom and there weren’t any keys in the suite.
- The closet doors could not be opened/closed easily (they are sliders; we left them open the entire time.)
- Shutters could not be closed. We wanted to close the downstairs shutters and leave the bedroom doors open with the air-conditioning on to see if the downstairs area would
- Electronics are dated; all three TVs in the suite were small and old. There was no stereo.
- The landscaping didn’t seem to be as lush as last year and not as maintained. The grounds still look nice, but we were disappointed about the lack of blooms. Was it the weather or maintenance?
- There are board games at the bar, but forget about playing them. The games are missing pieces. There is a basket of “Scrabble” tiles, but who wants to pick through a basket to find all the tiles needed to play a game?
- The basketballs were deflated for several days. Maybe if we reported it, they would have been pumped sooner?
- The WiFi in the master bedroom was very weak (meaning it wasn’t usable).
- Meat, particularly chicken, is frequently served with bones chopped up into the meat. This might be the local style, but my husband was distressed to see nice pieces of chicken from the grill that would have been easy to eat, chopped up into a pile of meat and bones prior to being served.
- The entire resort seems dated.
- Safety and non-skid tape on inclines, where they exist, are peeling off or non-existent.
- My husband almost tripped going into the bathroom by the pool twice because there is no safety tape or signs indicating there is a step down.
- The area around the pool, especially near the steps, can get very slick. The 6 y.o. slipped several times.
- Teen internet room has poor air-conditioning. It was unbearable to sit there.
- Regarding talent shows – we suggested that they limit all acts to 1-2 minutes. It’s torture listening to entire “songs” from children who cannot sing, and watching kids “dance” the same steps over and over.
- A limited number of local craft merchants are permitted on the resort to hawk their wares and you may be approached by snorkelers when venturing out to the water trampolines to purchase items they just “found” while diving.

BAD – but had nothing to do with the resort; just thought I’d share:
- Three of us had diarrhea/loose stools for most of the vacation.
- The 6 y.o. got stung by a sea urchin while swimming to the water trampoline.

Despite the negative comments listed above, our family will certainly consider going back to FDR – during a much cooler time period. The girls and I had a blast and I enjoyed relaxing and doing nothing while the kids were off having fun, the beds were made, and good food was prepared. I would strongly recommend FDR to anyone wanting a true vacation.

3 Thank Dawn M
fdrsales, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
The FDR Family would like to thank you for your comments following
your recent stay here at the Franklyn D. Resort Spa. We do appreciate
the time you took to give us such detailed and constructive comments
and rest assured we will act on them in an expeditious manner.
Some of our suites close to the ocean have shutters that are designed
to stay open to allow the cross flow of the sea breezes, as some of
our guests find this delightful.
The board games are replenished constantly. However, due to the high
amount of kids in house and the fact that the kids wear heavily on
these games, missing pieces are an everyday occurrence.
The outer walls of our suites are ten inches (10”) thick, and
sometimes difficulties occur in getting consistent Wi-Fi signals in
the bedrooms. We are continuously improving these services from the
bedrooms. However, WiFi signals are accessible from the living areas
and balconies of the suites.
The Jamaican curried and jerked chicken are popular items and are
traditionally served bone in, as is our jerk chicken at the grill.
However, following on your comments, we have discontinued chopping the
chicken at the grill, unless requested specifically by a guest.
Everything now at FDR are jointed or neatly cut with a saw.
The Resort is 20 years old and is Mediterranean in architecture. All
furniture are cedar/mahogany, our beach chairs are wooden and not
plastic. This look is sometimes construed to be dated but we prefer to
think of it as good quality furniture. New transparent non-skid strips
have been added to the walkway between the pool and the restroom thus
providing grip and preventing slipping.
Being in a tropical climate, with trees touching the buildings, ants
use this route to enter the suites.
Following on your comments, a new air conditioner was installed in the
cyber room by the teen’s center.
We have implemented rules and signage at the bar which are conform to
the U.S standard of twenty one (21) years or older for alcoholic
beverages. However, teenagers will always test the system and
parental control is always recommended and required.
The FDR family believes in 100% guest satisfaction and upholds this
standard by all means possible. We again thank you for your general
comments about our staff and facilities and look forward to hosting
you and your family again in the near future.
Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

You know that the trip was special when you can look past the facts that our flight home was cancelled, we spent 5 hours on the customs line, and both kids got sick and we are already planning our trip back next year.

We arrived at Montego Bay airport and jumped on the shuttle to the resort (no wait, we got the last 3 seats on the shuttle). Ian our driver was amazing and spent half of the trip singing with our 3 year old son. We then stopped off at a local bar to get the trip off on the right foot and picked up some red stripe beers which I happily drank while my 1 year old was passed out in my lap. We arrived at FDR are were welcomed very warmly and were immediately taken to our room. There was an issue with the first room because the floor was wet in the bedroom which was not a big deal for us; however, it was completely unacceptable to the employees so they jumped into action and immediately wisked us away from the room and offered to show us all available rooms so that we could choose one that was to our liking. We knew from that point on that we were in good hands. The first room we saw was room 2A in block 8 and we were sold. This is a great 1 bedroom suite and is in a secluded corner of the resort which was nice. We were able to hang out on our patio in complete seclusion and privacy. Also, the view was amazing!

A special thanks to Susan and Easton for their patience with my pre-trip questions and excellent advice making our trip even better than we anticipated. The first great tip was adding a second nanny and requesting Kadian and Coretta. They are truly wonderful and work so well together. They cover during each other's lunches, are so caring and loving, and are so professional that we could not have been happier. Coretta was amazing with our 3 year old who can be more than a handful at times and Kadian adopted our 1 year old as her own for the week. When you see Coretta playing on the beach with your son and having her watch set so that she is reminded every 20 minutes to put sunscreen on the boy all of your fears disappear. I miss them both every day and cannot wait to see them again next year. Since both kids were in the same room the baby was waking our older guy up at the crack of dawn so we could not wait for 9 to come so that the nanny's would arrive. We made an arrangement with the nanny's to have one of them come an hour early and help us at breakfast with the boys. This was a great decision and I do recomment this to everyone especially if your kids will be getting up extremely early.

The food was great. From breakfast until late night there was always something for the 4 of us to eat. The jerk chicken/pork was amazing and I made it a point to eat every day (at least once) at the bar with a beef patty, extra jerk sauce, and a red stripe. Breakfast was great with the smoothies, lots of bacon, always fish, fruit, and the omelette bar. Dinner at the Overproof (adults only) restaurant was very good. We kept a nanny every night for a few hours so that we could enjoy our dinner with the boys and then a private dinner for ourselves. The whole fish was outstanding.

I could go on and on about the resort and especially the people such as Shane at the bar. This is the first time in 4 years that both myself and my wife truly relaxed. If you have young children I guarantee that your trip will be relaxing and wonderful if you allow it to be. One last note, you have the ability to spend as much or as little time with your kids as you want. This is truly a vacation for the whole family either individually or as a group.

I do wish though that the resort would have checked with the airline before we took a 1 hour shuttle to the airport 4 hours before our flight was to leave with 2 little boys to see if the flight is on-time. This way we would have been able to avoid the nightmare trip home that took over 12 hours with a 4 hour layover in Miami considering the flight was cancelled the previous day.

All in all we have the fondest of memories for FDR and cannot wait to take the boys back next year and hopefully our new friends Michelle, Fin, Connor, and Euan will be meeting us.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

5 Thank egoody25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!