Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$347
BahiaPrincipe
US$625
US$296
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Club Ambiance(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$176
  • Breakfast included
Cardiff Hotel & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$143
Silver Creek Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$98
Piper's Cove Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$125
Hotels.com
Holiday Haven Condo Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$109
  • Restaurant
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$388
BahiaPrincipe
  • Breakfast included
Franklyn D. Resort & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$650
US$429
2,903 results
All reviewsplunge poolegg boylaser tagkids clubkids campwater park isplatinum restaurantthe grillfamily vacationstacy annpizza placejade samuraiswim up bararts and craftscoral cafelife guardsjapanese restaurant
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I traveled with our 9 and 10 year old boys for 9 nights. This was our 6th all inclusive trip with them. By far this resort has the most activities geared for ages 9-14. Our kids met many boys and hung out with them continuously, along with Ke-Ke, Rih-Rih and Zoey 101, the amazing ladies who run the organized activities. Favorite activities were dodgeball and capture the flag at 10:00 at night. There was so much going on all the time and if they didn't want to participate they went off on their own on the resort, mostly to play tag in the waterpark's lazy river, and I felt completely comfortable that they were safe. That being said, it was slightly frustrating that they would rush through meals to meet up with their new bffs on our family vacation .
My husband is a diver and our 10 year old was able to get certified this year. After he did an intro to scuba course and after he was comfortable we knew that the scuba team here was perfect for him to learn. A big thank you to Jay, Anthony and Marcia for taking the time to teach him safely and give him an extremely memorable experience. He will never forget you!!!! We would recommend this team to anyone who is interested in learning to dive. Additionally, when we were there it was not crowded so you get personal instruction.
The food was above average in all restaurants! My favorite was the goat cheese and caramelized onion pizza at Jesters. We could all find something at every restaurant and were never disappointed.
Our room (premium) was in the topaz building facing the water park. It was clean and quite, as the water park closes at 6:30. Some reviews state that the rooms are dark, our room had 1 bluish wall, three white walls, white tile floor, white sheets, white towels and cream colored bathroom. The only thing the was dark was the furniture and that was in pretty good condition. The room was always well cared for by the maid. No complaints about the room itself, but the key cards not always working was a bit annoying.
Is this property in need of a facelift, possibly? It didn't bother us tho because there are so many good things about this property; like the grounds are immaculate, nighttime laser tag and bond fire were awesome, the waterpark is super clean, staff is kind and smiley, Clive the arts and crafts man is amazing and you would be missing out if you don't get an opportunity to meet him and have him teach your child how to paint. The list of cool and interesting things goes on and on....
I would strongly recommend this resort for families.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Amy G
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Dear Amy,
thank you so much for your review of Jewel Runaway Bay. I am so happy to hear that your tweens enjoyed themselves.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

We just returned from a week (August 12 to 19, 2017) at JRB. Family of four - kids are ages 12 and 8.

We flew into Sangster Airport - we opted for private shuttle with Ramone at Taylor Made. Our rationale was we had read mixed reviews about the shuttle and length of trip and stops so we just paid $65 each way for Taylor Made. The trip was 45 minutes. We were happy with his service. We had read good reviews on Taylor Made.

We arrived around 8 pm - check in was fine and we were shown to our room. We opted for a king size bed with 2 twin beds for our kids with a Plunge Pool. The room was clean and cool. It is best described as rustic and comfy. If you require modern and state of the art rooms, JRB is not your place. As mentioned Wi Fi was spotty. We typically could get some reception in our room, most of the time on our patio and all the time in the courtyard by the hot tub. We had 3 technical issues with our room - the air conditioner drain line plugged twice which caused it to drip water onto floor beside bed. A call to front desk and both times the tech repair person was there to fix. No further issues and we kept our room at 68 degrees all week. We like it cold. The last issue was the handle to the cold water in the shower fell off - again a call and it was repaired quickly. We were given an opportunity to switch rooms after meeting with the night manager but declined this option.

Beds were comfy. Rooms were cleaned daily to our satisfaction. We had a stocked fridge that was replenished when requested.

The Plunge Pool - our kids loved it. They were in it first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I enjoyed it too after a day at the beach - I hit it to cool off.

The resort itself - we loved the size - everything was nice and close. Especially when it is so hot. The beach is fantastic. You are not able to swim out very far due to the reef. But the reef is great - take some bread or bagels down to the water, go to the buoy line, throw in pieces of bread and the fish are literally eating out of the palm of your hand. We loved that.

There is a dive shop on site - my daughter and I did an intro to Scuba lesson. $100 each - we absolutely loved it. We did prep in the pool and then they took us out from the resort for a dive that lasted around 40 minutes. It was great. You can get certified too. We did not bother as diving is limited where we live.

The pools are great - the Infinity Pool was busy as it has the swim up bar. The activity pool is big and has lots of room. There is a smaller pool that hardly ever had anybody in it.

The shows were fine. Steel drum band show was very good. The circus like show was very good.

Our kids did not do Kids Club stuff - not their thing. We did not make it over the Ranch.

The restaurants were all fine. Our only thought would be another air conditioned restaurant would be nice in the heat. Platinum was the only air conditioned restaurant. The food quality was good. If you are looking for high end dining and presentation, etc this is not your resort. This is a family resort with very good food. Our kids could always find something to eat. Kids loved the water park snack bar. Never busy and they loved the jerk chicken sandwich and pizzas.

The water park was a hit for us. It is not massive but the cool waters of the lazy river was thoroughly enjoyed. The kids loved the 2 big slides as did we. It was never too busy. Snow Cones there too were a hit.

We did venture off property one day. We booked a day trip with Kemar Smile at Inside Tours Jamaica. We picked Kemar due to reviews we had read. Our day started at 8 am - we hit Dunn's River Falls, Blue Hole, Usain Bolt's Tracks and Records (pics and souvenirs), Ochos Rio market (souvenir), Scotchies (lunch - very good) then finished up at River Rapids - tubing at Rio Bueno. For us a great day.

Check out was fine. We had to check out at 12 noon. Our flight was not till 9 pm. So we stored our bags in the lobby. We took a day bag and back packs with us to the water park where we rented a locker for $5. We spent the afternoon at the pools, beach and water park - then showered and changed for our trip home at the water park.

Again we took Taylor Made back to the airport $65 and 45 minutes in duration.

We did Club Mobay which was nice as we had to wait about 3 hours for our plane to board.

All in all we were very happy with our stay at the JRB. No major complaints from us. We would consider returning there with our family, it really is a great family resort.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank liney2

Dear Liney2,
thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay.
I appreciate your review and we hope you return soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I researched and researched this property and felt satisfied. Let me start first by saying the package was not cheap and the ratings on Expedia appeared good, 4 to 4.2. In my opinion, this property is probably a 3 to 3.5. I have stayed in numerous all inclusive resorts and this is by far the worst. The room was ok, we had a plunge pool with Concierge. The pool was missing tile and was in need of an overall refurbish. The room size itself was ok, but the toilet and shower area was woefully small. We had issue on first day, day and a half with room cleaning but talked to the supervisor who was in the hall, we had no issue for the balance of our stay but did give our room lady $15 American dollars so maybe that helped. The first two days we had issue getting beach towels in the morning (8am) but seemed to have corrected itself for the balance of the week. Come on resort, room cleaning and beach towel availability is basic. The restaurants were ok, buffet same ole everyday and got boring - actual food so so. Often the tables would not have enough cutlery, napkins or glasses and it took forever to get the table set up. The dishes were not cleared in a timely manner. - we usually got up and got our own coffee from the coffee machines. The bar service was slow but picked up nicely once we started slipping the staff American bills. Moonstone was ok (went twice). One night we chose pasta and being Italian I could give a few pointers, too much sauce. In addition, you had to get up from your table and go to the pasta bar and wait in line to get your choice - not sure why the waiter couldn't bring our dish to the table. All the pasta types, sauces and add-ons were on the menu. I would have preferred to have my pasta dish brought to me while I enjoyed my view and drink. It was only on the Saturday that the flyer showed Platinum restaurant as closed - there was a private event. Why wouldn't that information have been in each of the daily flyers leading to Saturday. If we had known we would have gone on another night. Needless to say we were not able to enjoy that restaurant. Overall service was slow at restaurants and bars. I can say that Samantha at the Waterpark noticed my son's arm was sun burnt and found a piece of Aloe plant on her own and brought it to us. Thank you for caring. Also Michael at the main pool was really nice and attentive to his duties as lifeguard. and kept the pool and area neat and presentable all day. On one day he dove in and saved a 3 year old who was struggling in the pool - the adults were not watching their child. The infinity pool needs new umbrellas, the lifeguards there appeared uninterested in their job - not the same level as Michael at the main pool. There was a managers dinner one night at the main pool, unfortunately due to this the buffet was closed and most of all the restaurants were busy as a result. We struggled to find a place to eat, we have young children so a 6 course dinner by the pool would not have worked. We had concierge who called everyday as a courtesy. We never asked for anything during our stay except for a wakeup call on our departure day which never came. Luckily we had also set the alarm on the cell phones as my gut told me not to trust that call would come. - I spoke to concierge on our departure day and explained the issue. She indicated the request was on the board but if the actual call is not placed what good is that. Overall we were glad to get away and enjoy the hot weather but know we will not be returning. I don't know how travellers can rate this place a 4 but I guess it all depends on what level of service and property you are used to........

Room Tip: Choose plunge pool especially with young children
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank Canucks999

Dear Can Uck,
thank you for your feedback. I will pass it on to the team.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We just got back from 6 days at JRB. We had 2 rooms for a family of 5 (3 adults, 2 kids 9 and 12.
The beach was beautiful and snorkeling near the shore was great for my kids who had never snorkeled before. The water got a bit rough in the afternoons when we were there.
The food was pretty good. Our favorite was the Green Jade hibachi restaurant. We had breakfast most days at the buffet which was pretty good. My only complaint is the frequently ran out of things like waffles and French toast.
The rooms were pretty good and were very clean. Upon arrival our mini fridge wasn't working but was fixed the same day. I was a little worried about the lack of bathroom door after reading other reviews, but it really wasn't that big of a deal.
The staff was great! I wish I could remember everyone's names, but there were a special few that I would like to mention. Keke and ReRe at the teen and tweens club were amazing. Egg boy at the buffet was so funny. Peter at the water park was so friendly and great with the kids. Probably the person that sticks in my mind the most though is Clive at the art shack on the beach. He was so good with my 9 year old son and just a beautiful person!
I would definitely go back!

Stayed: August 2017
4  Thank steff45
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Dear Steff,
thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. I have shared your feedback with the team.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

I spent 3 weeks in Jamaica and managed to play Runaway Bay Golf Course several times during my stay.
I found the course in fabulous condition and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
I look forward to visiting the course again...

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Michael,
thank you so much for your feedback on Runaway Bay golf course. We look forward to your return.