3,045 results
All reviews plunge pool egg boy laser tag kids club water park is kids camp the grill platinum restaurant stacy ann family vacation pizza place jade samurai swim up bar arts and crafts coral cafe life guards feed the fish
Reviewed 9 December 2017

Our first room was in dire need of repair. A/C poured water out, their resolve was to turn it down. It didn't help anything. Overall, the room was okay after they moved us.
Money was stolen from our room, by staff. We were told that we miscounted it, and the staff doesn't steal. They did an "investigation", and the resolve was to put a big sticker on the inside of the door while we were out of the room. It stated that they were not liable for money missing from our room. It would have been nice to feel like they at least cared about it, but we never felt that way.
The grounds and the pools were nice, and well kept. Lifeguards were the best part of the trip. Always willing to help. Found my wife's sunglasses after losing them in the lazy river. Climbed and got my kids coconuts fresh from the tree. Great friendly people that recognized you every morning.
The worst part of the trip had to be the food. Their food safety practices were extremely poor. Condiments left on ice (ice doesn't last long in Jamaican weather) all day. Meat cooked, then left in the pan, off heat, for long periods of time before being reheated and served. Frozen beef patties undercooked, medium rare. Recycled meat served with the coagulated fat. We had 8 people in our party, and everyone got food poisoning. We spoke with 4 other families, and each one got food poisoning. Also, bring your own mug, because they rinse the cups with pool water then steam them before using again.Truly disappointing.
The food wasn't only handled improperly, it wasn't even good choices. Snapper burgers were store bought frozen patties. The closest thing I got to Jamaican food was jerk sauce on a cheeseburger. The fish never seemed fresh. Mexican night at the buffet, without a carribean night. I've stayed at 2 other resorts in Jamaica, and never had such poor food, or choices.
Jamaica is a beautiful country, with beautiful people. Truly an amazing place. However, your experience will be much better at a different resort. Get a day pass to the waterpark, it's the best thing here.

Room Tip: Plunge pool rooms would be ideal here.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank tylerashdown
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Dear tyler,
Let me start by saying thank you for staying with us. When our concierge staff Shereka spike who is also our reigning employee of the year, called your room this is what was said.
she called on October 26th at 9:39 am and Tyler said "thanks for checking as we are doing great"
She called on November 1st at 8:48 am and Tyler said "overall we are having a great vacation at the resort"
So I am not sure what happened after you left.
You did report a leaking Air conditioner and we changed your room immediately to fix it.
there were Three persons in the room. We were notified that you had money missing from your safe that you had left open. There was more cash but you said you were not sure how much was missing between 20 and 60 dollars because you have $20 increments. On the second review you said $50 was missing. there were also several other items in the safe and in the room but nothing was touched. You had said that the resort has enough money and could give you a $50 credit and you wanted it now.
We took a reading of the locks on the door and nothing was shown out of the ordinary other than your three keys coming in and out of the room on the times of concern.
the sign that you said was on the back of the door is on every door. You see on check in we tell all guests that we provide a complimentary safe. When the bellman take you to the room he shows the guests how to use the same and then there is a sign on the back of the door that reminds the guests to lock the safe.
I am glad to hear that we found your wife's sunglasses.
We are extremely careful in following all Hacaap procedures in Food Handling.
Our nurse had mentioned that she had not seen any guests over that time period for stomach issues. One person was seen for sunburn and two for a sinus infection.
Some of your false accusations I won't bother on commenting as it does not happen.
We have a Caribbean night on Mondays. We have a Caribbean restaurant and we serve Caribbean food throughout the week.
thanks again

Reviewed 8 December 2017

Spent a week at JRB, returned home a few days ago. Believe all the reviews about the people who work here - they will make up for the so-called negatives (come on folks - they are already very aware that the resort needs renovations, and have plans to make some big changes in the new couple of years, you can see the plans posted in the main lobby next to the registration desk - until then, don't complain about the state of the rooms etc. because its not something they're trying to hide. This is not a brand-new place!). Everyone we met here was welcoming, helpful, and seemed genuinely happy to be working at JRB. This is not the norm, especially at some of the larger, less personal resorts.

Our last family beach vacation was to a 5-star resort in Mexico. Were there some differences? Of course, absolutely. But what we experienced here, was yummy food, one of the best, most kid-friendly beaches ever, a smaller (but ultimately perfectly sized) water park, attentive and gracious service by everyone we came into contact with, and really great value for the cost. Like I said in the title of this review - know what to expect going in, set your expectations accordingly, and I'm sure you will have a wonderful vacation.

PRE-TRIP: Emailed and messaged with Keisha, Sherefa and Scott, they were very helpful in accommodating our requests and answering questions. Tried to set up a birthday package for my daughter (whose birthday we were celebrating on this trip) and at the end of the day, we did need to work with the concierge service on-site to sort things out so I would recommend waiting until you are there, its easier and more likely that things will go as planned (we did end up receiving a slice of cake in our room for two days in a row prior to our daughter's actual birthday but we aren't complaining haha! ;D).

AIRPORT TRANSFER: Booked a private transfer with TCJ Tours (based on other reviews I read here!). Worked out perfectly, they were waiting for us when we arrived, hopped right into a wonderfully air-conditioned van, had a great, informative driver who took us straight to the resort with no stops (although he would've stopped if we had asked him to!). Highly recommend them, it was worth the cost.

CHECK-IN: Simple. We were provided with cold hand towels and refreshing drinks, checked in within 10 minutes (small line at the desk at that time). We received a room that fit perfectly with my emailed requests, so we didn't need to change a thing.

ROOM: 1129, Topaz building. Plunge pool room with two double beds, facing the courtyard/Ruby building. Two TVs, one facing the beds, one in the sitting area that is separated by a half wall (perfect for nighttime TV watching as our daughter slept). Sitting area had the coffeemaker (used every day, Blue Mountain coffee yay), mini-bar (refreshed daily with whatever you asked for), two comfy chairs and a table. The question about whether or not the "plunge pool room" is worth it - for us it was great. We used the plunge pool every day! Not too deep (3 feet 6"), our daughter was able to stand in the pool which was LOVELY. Yes its a bit cold at first, but the weather was extremely hot/humid all week, reaching "feels like: 108 degrees" temps most days, so the coolness of the pool was actually very refreshing! The nighttime "plunge pool colour-changing show" was a hit haha. Our room was the 'last' plunge pool room, closest to the beach/infinity pool/water park entrance etc. I do recommend this location as it was perfect for our needs, close to everything, relatively quiet, a/c and thermostat worked perfectly (note about a/c: its kind of loud yes. But this works out for the best as it drowns out any ambient noise from outside the room. The only times we heard anything really, were from the family upstairs when they were moving their furniture around (very infrequent tho) and from a wedding that was held in the courtyard in front of our patio. That wedding, btw, looked amazing, and although the music was very loud after their dinner, it went quiet by 9:15pm or so. Much earlier than we expected! No problem. So I wouldn't worry too much about noise from the location of this room, it was quite peaceful most nights and mornings. People do look into your patio area when they walk by, but there are trees that block at least part of the plunge pool, and we were never bothered by it (if you really want more privacy I would recommend taking a room on the other side of the building, facing the waterpark, there should be less foot traffic there). Two chairs, a table, and two loungers on the patio, plus a rack on the wall to dry things. Note about the wi-fi in this room is below. The daily cleaning and nightly turn-down service were both wonderful, only had to ask for a few new towels once, and when I asked for more pillows they delivered them immediately, had some towel animals made and on our little one's birthday they decorated the room, left cake and a fruit platter and did a special towel arrangment and it was all very wonderful!

BATHROOM: Our bathroom had a door to the shower/toilet area which was great. The sink/closet area is open but that was fine for us. The sink cabinet was nice and wide, more than enough space to accommodate the ridiculous amount of toiletries/medicines that I brought on this trip haha. The shower is amazing, great water pressure, always had hot/cold water, has a rain shower head with an addition hand-held shower head (which was perfect for our daughter, who still doesnt love the shower concept). Didn't use the toiletries provided by JRB so I can't comment on those.

POOLS: Spent a bit of time at the infinity pool (with the swim-up bar), beautiful views, close to our room. This was the one pool that could get busy at times but its the place to be if you have the really wee ones. They have pool noodles available and random pool toys lying around, and its not the biggest pool so if this is where you are going to spend most of your time, I'd keep the larger floaties at home. Only saw a few of the smaller floaties being used (gratefully). The larger pool was a bit too deep for our little so we didn't use it but it was rarely busy and seemed very peaceful. If you're going to use a large floatie, this is likely your best bet as its got a bit more space (and very few people haha). On our last trip we spent all of our time at the pool, but on this trip the pool was more of an afterthought mainly due to the ridiculously perfect beach and waterpark!

BEACH: Ahhh the beach! The beach is everything you've read about here - just amazing. Took some underwater video, it turned out SO crisp and much cleaner than I could have imagined was possible. Won't go on on too much about it because others have done such a great job at explaining it - all I can say is: 5 star beach, no rocks, NO seaweed (oh Mexico, how different you were), no huge waves, beautiful soft sand, especially amazing for young ones/casual snorkelers. COME HERE FOR THE BEACH. We didn't have any red flags right up until the last day or so, but I'd say the beach is fine even on a red flag day, maybe just avoid the water sports.

WATERPARK: We spent a lot of time here - I can't tell you how many times we used the lazy river or the slides! It's not a big water park, just know that going in and you will have a great time here. It was rarely busy, never had to wait for anything, the lifeguards are so sweet and the servers kept the drinks coming. The food was good - Caribbean fries are delicious, they also have nachos, popcorn, chili/cheese dogs, a snow cone hut etc - for us it wasn't a "have a full meal" type of place, but it was certainly great for an afternoon snack! It's open from 10:30am to 6:00pm, it opened promptly at 10:30am and there is a towel pick-up/drop-off place (where the dive shop/nurse's office is) just outside the entrance. I heard from others that it was quite busy on the Wednesday (when the cruise shippers have their day excursions) but on that day we had been in a cabana on the beach all day, so when we went to the waterpark around 4pm it was not busy at all. The weekend days seem a little more busy as well but we never felt like it was overrun with people, can always find loungers. (To the lifeguard we saw almost very day (sorry I don't recall your name): you are a very special lady, not only were you very sweet to my family, I saw you taking care of someone else's toddler for the better part of a day (literally carrying them around, swimming with them) and I was utterly amazed. Oh, and "you should have another one!" ;P)

FOOD: Breakfast was good at the buffet (Coral Cafe - shout out to Egg Boy, who gave my daughter a flower and also knows more Canadian history than I do haha), but we enjoyed our sit-down (air conditioned) breakfasts at Platinum even more. Coral Cafe has plenty of options for breakfast, lunch and dinner and was never too busy, might have been a smidgen too hot (for me anyway) at some points but that's what you would expect with any open-air dining. Buffet has some WONDERFUL desserts, be sure to check them out! Soft serve ice cream with toppings for the kids. Court Jesters pizzeria is a great option for lunch or dinner, the menus are different at lunch than dinner just a heads up. They do a really good gluten-free pizza! Most lunches were at the buffet for us, but on our "cabana" days the concierge brought the food to us and I tried the most amazing jerk panini, do recommend you try that one (from the Grill I believe). For dinner we tried: Platinum (thanks Kelvin!), which is everything you've read about - piano player was amazing as well. 'Churros in a truck' were delicious for dessert and great for entertaining the kid; Coral Cafe buffet - best days were when they had the mexican dishes and more of the local specialties, but there is something for everyone pretty much every night; Court Jesters Pizza (on a rainy evening we brought it back to our room - delicious); and Moonstone, which we ate at 3 times! So good. The pasta bar is great, as was the Rack of Lamb... which was ordered more than once :D. The tiramisu is AWESOME here. Kids menu is available at all places as well so the young ones get to choose between the main menu or the kids one (which has the staples like mac n cheese, chicken tenders etc). One night there was a Manager's dinner outside on the lawn in front of the buffet, looked great but we ate elsewhere that night. We did get to hear the incredible saxophone players music though - so amazing! Overall, very decent dining here. I find it hard to believe that anyone would go hungry at JRB.

ENTERTAINMENT/ACTIVITIES: We didn't really take part in the activities, or the nightly entertainment, or the Kids Club (we just did our own thing during the day, chilled out at night.. ok FINE we went to bed pretty early every night haha) so I can't comment much on those, but we did see other families participating, and having a blast. If you are looking to be an active participant yourself, you won't have an issues finding things to do!

WI-FI: So the reviews were correct on this one - it's not great, there were a couple of days where we it was pretty much non-existent, but it really depends on where you are. On the grounds of the resort, it was pretty decent. On the beach, it went in and out as it did in various spots in the waterpark too. From our room - could not connect unless you were standing in the doorway or out on the patio (but I did speak with others with plunge pool rooms on the same side of the Topaz building as us, and they said they were closer to the main box and therefore had better connectivity, luck of the draw I think). So again, it really depends on where you are but if you are looking to have wi-fi while you're sitting in bed... you may not want the same room we had. We were able to survive without it :D.

GROUNDS: Very clean. Everything is withing short walking distance, with covered pathways to most of the main areas. I'd say it was quieter over in our neck of the woods (minus the one wedding evening in the courtyard as mentioned earlier).

STAFF: Unbeatable in terms of friendliness and customer service orientation, at least from my perspective. I don't have one negative thing to say about the people who work here, they are all so great! Everything you've read about here is true, the JRB crew really do make this an extra special place to visit. Thank you to each and every one of you who worked so hard to make our visit so special and memorable! You are all amazing.

SPECIAL MENTIONS:

Chevaughn at Concierge: Thank you, for being my shy daughter's favourite person in the entire world haha! For being the first person to show us around, for being there whenever we needed anything, for the special birthday card, for the amazing send off. Thank you.

Ray and Leighton (beach cabana concierges): Thank you both, for treating us SO well both times (note: highly recommend reserving a beach cabana, it was perfect, peaceful, great way to realx out of the blazing sun). Ray - you took such good care of us the first time, bringing us everything we needed from food and drinks (you even got caribbean fries from the waterpark for my daughter) to extra pillows, that we went back to try to to get you again, we missed you on that second reservation... but Leighton was so very caring that I have to say you are both equally amazing at your jobs! Leighton - you helped me out SO much that day (me with the severely sprained, swollen, ugly looking ankle) - a special thank you for taking care of the lady with the nasty sprain!

Leroy and Javaughn at Moonstone: Thank you both! You guys were a big part of the reason we ate dinner here three times! You are both wonderful, and if stayed longer I'm sure we would've seen you many times again :D.

QUICK TIPS:

- Concierge service is great here - ask, and they will help. Always. Quickly. Amazing.

- Bring mosquito repellent. I know there are mixed reviews on this one, but for me (they absolutely looooooove me) it really was necessary, especially after it rained a bit. I actually did fine up until my second last day, using it mainly in the mornings and evenings (open air restaurants) but on that day, I got bitten 9 times. I am a mosquito magnet though. We didn't have any major issues inside the room (caught 2 over the course of the whole week, and I'm sure it had to do with the large number of times we were going in/out the patio door). Others I met said they were getting bitten daily, and then others who said they hadn't been bitten in almost a week and a half so.. methinks its just about whether or not you are a bite magnet, if you are, bring lots of stuff. If you aren't, you'll probably be fine.

- There were QUITE a few wasps on the resort (infinity pool and at the waterpark, also in some of the open-air dining areas). They seem to enjoy Pina Coladas the best, just so you know haha! Mainly in areas near the bars or where people leave their fruity drinks out, didn't have any issues with them at the beach. Generally they leave you alone, but a few people got stung during the week (including my hubby) - if you have a child who is allergic, please bring whatever you need to manage potential stings.

- Bring extension cords (the two prong kind) - there were only a few outlets in the room, I had brought 2 cords (dollar store kind) and we did end up using both of them.

- Just like others have said here on TA - don't freak out about the weather forecast too much if you are checking before you leave for Jamaica. It will likely show rain or thunderstorms every day. But the weather was great, with a little rain when we arrived, plus a couple of showers here and there but generally it was very nice, a ton of sun and hot hot weather!

- Also a note that has been repeated many times here that I can confirm is true (at least for the end of November/early December timeframe) - we never had to get up early to go 'save' loungers! Even on the beach we were quite shocked at the number of spots available throughout the entire day, whether you like full-on sun or a shaded spot, there were always loungers available - and for someone who woke up at 5:30am every morning on our last vacation to play the 'save-a-spot' game, I can say that it was truly appreciated and a wonderful change!

- Bring your full face snorkel masks - so good, perfect for the type of snorkeling you can do here! Highly recommend you bring them if you have them. I thought it would be harder to pack/bring them than it was (I stuffed the snorkel cases as much as possible with extra socks, hand towels etc and then put them in between other clothes in the suitcases) and got them all home without any breaks or cracks. Note: these masks are THE BEST for a) those who have trouble using the traditional snorkel/mask combos, because you just breathe as you normally would and b) kids who hate the taste of ocean/salt water :D.

- Use your safe, and remember to actually lock it when you aren't in the room. Not because I think there would be an issue here, we had ZERO problems with this (and even had mistakenly left out items that some may have considered valuable). But it's not about 'trust' and it's not about expecting things to be fine just because you think you've paid a lot of money to go somewhere. And if you leave something out and it disappears, its possible it wasn't even an employee, could have been a fellow vacationer even, who knows? It's just the smart thing to do. I did hear of some lost belongings sure, but to me, no matter where you go in the world its always best to play it safe (haha). I even keep my suitcase locks on if there are larger items that don't fit in the safe. Is it a minor pain to have to do this? I suppose some would say that it is. But to me, its on you, the owner of the valuables, to ensure you've done what you need to do.

- this time round we had decided beforehand not to plan any off-resort tours/excursions (I would have done a private tour in any case), and at the end of the week I didn't feel like we missed out on anything (this was not our first time in Jamaica mind you). I think we would have done at least one our little one been just a smidgen older/taller but with the location being where it is, we thought it would be best to save the excursions for a future trip. I did speak to many others who all did at least one excursion but best to look to them for recommendations on that.

- Please read the reviews, do your research, ask questions if you need to - JRB has a loyal, dedicated group of TA users who can answer pretty much every question you could possibly need answered. And then SET YOUR EXPECTATIONS based on what you should already know before you get there. It really will make for a better vacation!

Thank you to everyone at JRB, again, for a wonderful time that won't be forgotten! Much love.

Room Tip: Choose room 1129 for a plunge pool room in Topaz building.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
29  Thank JAYYZ
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Dear Jayyz,
Wow. thank you for staying with us at JRB as well as your very detailed review. thank you for taking the time to mention a few of the team who made your family's stay enjoyable. We hope you return in the future.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Currently at this resort - day 2 of 7.
First morning after arrival room cleaning staff got into my safe and “cleaned house”. Stolen Canadian and USD currency from
Inside.
Countless hours with varying security staff and nothing accomplished.
Stay away from this place ..not secure.

Be careful and don’t use the safes. Lock belongings in your personal luggage with locks they can’t get into

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank kevinjansen1978
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Dear guest,
thank you for your review.
Upon check in the front desk tells all guests that there is a complimentary safe in the room and it is there to keep your valuables safe. upon entrance into the room when the bellman takes you up and does his tour of the room, he points out the safe and instruct on its use. On the safe it has directions on how to use and lock the safe. On the back of the door there is a sign that tells the guest to use and lock the safe.
We do this not only to protect our guests but to protect ourselves from false and destructive allegations.
When our bar stockers come in they write down any valuables that they see left out in the room and the concierge sends a note to the room to remind the guests to lock up their valuables.
When a housekeeper comes to the room and sees a safe open she is instructed to call security and or the manager on duty. They then come up to the room and with a minimum of two persons count everything in the safe and record it. Then they lock the safe and leave the code with the manager and a note in the room on what just occurred and to contact the manager so they can come up to the room, open the safe and count out the items in front of the guest to ensure everything is there.
Your safe was left open. The housekeeper called the Security supervisor. She came up and started to count the items. You then entered the room and was explained about the situation. You said that you thought you locked the safe. You then said that anywhere from $20 to $30 was missing. In then went to $50 with both Canadian and US. We read the safe lock and found that the safe was not locked. No one can get into the safe when it is locked unless you have a code or unless you have a device that is locked up in my office and only I can sign it out for someone. you were asked if you wanted the police to come and you said that you are the police and nothing will come of it but call them anyway. They were called. you saw me at the waterpark while I was with a tour and came up yelling that you were robbed and were waiting for the police to come and that this is going all over tripadvisor. You wanted your money back or at least a Resort credit for the amount. The police came but you were not available to see them. So they left. You then said that nothing would come of it. You then came back the next few days and said that you wanted the police again. This time they did not come as they did not want to be sent away again.
You said the safe was locked which it was proven not. the only person other than your family was the housekeeper who noticed the safe unlocked and called the manager. No one else was in the room. The amounts changed three times. I am sorry for the inconvenience but once again I implore persons to use and lock the safe to protect you and your valuables as well as the hotels reputation.

Reviewed 5 December 2017

The place is ok but old. They are planning a reno so I'm sure it will be amazing once done. All the staff worked extra hard to please. Hats off to those who made my trip special: Christine - hostess, Dean the server, Fitzroy and the female Tapinyaki chefs - so much fun!, and Sherene who makes the best drink. Lets not forget the piano man and the house band...all went out of their way to please !! Room for improvement in the disco - music was very bad and DJ not wanting to play music to suit the crowd and the place was always empty - how sad. There shouldn't be kids at the pool bar - put chairs back into the shallow part of the pool and send the kids to the water park. My phone was broken and never fixed even after complaining to concierge who said it would be fixed next day. Also a very large crowd came in day before we left...took over the lobby and the pool with their boom box and noise. Glad I left at that point, they were very obnoxious and nobody told them to turn it down including the concierge.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rocketgirl100
rasbrat, General Manager at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear Rocketgirl,
thank you for staying with us at our Family Resort. You will usually find kids at our resort. We do have two others that are adult only.
Usually our DJ is very open to playing all music not sure what happened there. Yes at times we do have wedding groups checking in. We don't know if a certain type of music is bothering someone obviously it was not bothering them. If you let us know we would then make a decision on what to do.
thanks again and we look forward to seeing you return.

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

We have just returned from an 11 night stay at jewel runaway bay,and had the best time ever! it’s got a really nice atmosphere/vibe about it
The rooms were clean and all the staff were always happy to help,and were friendly to chat to,also i really liked the size of the hotel cos no matter where you were it was only a short walk to wherever you needed to be
The beach was amazing,i was a bit weary as i’m not that keen on fish,but they didn’t come near you and you only saw loads when feeding them with a bread roll (which i did)and quite enjoyed lol
we never got bored with the food and thought it was all really really good and there was alway something different every night,and the freshly cooked pizzas were amazing
There were always sunbeds available by the pool or on the beach all day long
After the show in the evening we normally sat at the beach bar,and had such a good laugh with the guys there,especially lorrey the barman, he looked after us well and was always up for having a laugh then at 10 we would head to the lobby where there was a guy playing the piano handing out song books,make sure you go and join in it really was the best group drunk karaoke fun,the disco opens at 11pm till 2am and has good air con in it,and good new music but it was always so empty which was such a shame,the management need to think of some ideas for getting people in there?
i would 100% return to this hotel and recommend it to everyone.
people have said it’s a nice family hotel which it is but we were 3 single ladies and still had a fab time,and didn’t really see many kids,think they are all at the water park
As for the people who have moaned about it being tired and dated,if you are looking for someone modern/posh then go somewhere else lol

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank Sue O

Dear Sue,
thank you so much for staying with us at Jewel Runaway Bay. Please come back soon