“Great Location,Excellent Staff,Exactly what you expected”
Review of Club Ambiance

Club Ambiance
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We booked this hotel 3 weeks prior to departing, read the reviews, and checked on who wrote them and how many places they travelled before we made any judgements. This hotel was great to kick back, relax, watch the staff actually enjoy what they were doing, and do it with a nice cool drink. We met some people that had been there 8 to 10 times, and stayed for longer than 2 weeks, from this we based our review, and what we experienced while there. Martino, one of the waiters was wonderful to us and many others who were visiting, and took time to show us and them what the island had to offer. Everyone from the Room staff to Bartenders were pleasant and accomodating, the Entertainment was excellent, not sure if others expected Las Vegas style shows, but being a musician the band met all age levels with their music and songs during the entire week. The Activity staff had a wide assortment of games and activities that everyone had to a chance to participate when they wanted too, and if you just wanted to do nothing...........then that was ok with them also. Being "Adult Only", was a treat, no need to watch for small children running around, and if you wanted that "All over Tan" there was a small uncrowded beach that again breached the age group from young to the older crowd without worry. Food was good and plentiful, the A'la carte was worth every penny of the $20, and we took advantage of this twice. Drinks were good and a varied selection. All and All, it was a good value and having travelled to many vacation destinations, you would be hard pressed to not like this one, if you are comparing this resort, then do so with similar resorts of the same calibre and price range, and you probably won't find too many.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Snowcruiser54

Reviewed 22 March 2011

i read all reviews before booking our vacation and i disagree with the guests who said the staff was very friendly, we found maybe 3 friendly staff members and no one remembered our names. food was ok, it was recycled every day, not much variety. we were in the minority when it came to cigarette smoking, there were maybe 3 or 4 couples who did not smoke. the resort definately could use some updates. sorry to say i won"t be back.

Reviewed 21 March 2011

My husband and I were guests at Club Ambiance from March 1--8. After staying at mega resorts for the past 8 years, we decided to take a chance with this resort. We had absolutely no problems or worries here. Everything was perfect. We did upgrade our room to a deluxe and recommend it. We stayed in honeymoon 1 and there are no words for the view we woke up to every morning. Even our bathroom was ocean view!! Service was top notch and the entertainment team (Storm, Omar and Dexter) are amazing. We miss them. Food and drinks were also very good. Barnie is a great bartender and loves to tell you about Jamaican history. The biggest asset to this resort is the staff. The only down part is that the beach is a bit small but hey--sand, sun and drinks!!! Nuff said!! Do not have any worries about going here. The night before our departure we tried to extend our stay for another three days but they were booked. Would we return?? Absolutely!!! Please feel free to email me with any questions.

2  Thank kitmustang
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I must say I did a lot of "review" reading before I booked this hotel. I was quite confident in the fact that although it was a 3 star the reviews seemed to be fantastic so we figured why not...
Well I'll tell you why not… First off I would LOVE to know where all the "fantastic" staff members and entertainers were. Every single review I read had something to say about this amazing staff and how they kept everyone busy with great activities. Well the couple days we were around, they were offering salsa dancing lessons which not a single person went up for. They also had music trivia which was fun, you could tell the guests loved the 60, 70 and 80's music they played. After the game was over we asked if they could play some of the trivia music for us and were told "no”, well it didn’t take long for the guests to clear that area. It just didn’t seem like the entertainment staff really cared if we were happy or not they played the music they wanted to hear…
As for the food or lack there of it was about 4-5 buffet selections one of them always being rice so there wasn’t much diversity. Breakfast was the same everyday and they’d always seem to run out of bacon or French toast so get there early or else your only choice will be “braised kidney”! The lunches were nothing special in the buffet part, they did have burgers and grilled sandwiches but if you were hungry in-between meals good luck, unless you had something in your room to eat, you waited until supper which wasn’t until 7:00pm.They did have an “a la carte” that you could book and pay $20 per person extra…save your money. I know a lot of you reading this are probably thinking it’s a 3 star lady what did you expect. I can tell you that we have traveled many different places and have stayed in other 3 stars (in fact 2 years ago we stayed at a 3 star in Jamaica and it was fantastic), as well as 5 stars. We’re not hard people to please so for me to actually write a review is out of character…this hotel for what it offers should be reclassified a 1 or 2 star.
Entertainment hmmm...not much to say because there’s not much too talk about. 4 out of the 6 days we were there it was the house band playing, and the same feature singer, singing the same songs e-v-e-r-y-n-i-g-h-t! Needless to say the one good thing is we got LOTS of sleep because it wasn’t like you’d miss anything if you left. I hate to sound so negative but I really wish I would have read some of these types of reviews before I booked it.
We decided how bad can it be we’re in Jamaica right??? Around day 3-4 we went to check out some of the excursions the hotel offered and a couple excursions looked really exciting so we decided to book. We talked to the booking lady told her the tours we wanted and said we’d be right back with our credit cards, she said sorry we only accept cash!! I said “seriously” and she replied “well we have to pay the drivers before they leave”. I’m not sure about you guys but I’ve ALWAYS put my excursions on my credit card! Needless to say we didn’t book through the hotel.
This is the FIRST vacation I’ve ever been on where I was happy to be leaving…thank god for our good friends we traveled with that made our trip bearable. This will be the LAST 3 star I’ll ever go to, I’d definitely pay the extra couple hundred dollars to upgrade and I suggest you should too…good riddens “Club Un-Ambiance!!!!

4  Thank easygoingal65
Reviewed 20 March 2011

After reading all the reviews on trip advisor,we were totally surprised at the quality and friendliness of the hotel and staff. My wife and I have travelled all over the south including Cuba Mexico and the Dominican .so to compare this hotel and the facilities with any of the other hotels we have stayed in is not even close. We knew that it was only a 3 start but I would downgrade that to a 1-2 star at best. The buffet if you want to call it that was nothing more than 4-5 hot trays of poor food at best ,if you like braised kidney for breakfast Then this is the resort for you. Fruit which we were expecting to be fresh and plenty was horrendous . The activities were there but no one seemed to participate in any of them as .the entertainment was awful as they had what seemed like the house band playing the same songs over and over for 3-4 days.the did bring in one entertainer who was pretty good for one if the evenings..the drinks were definitely poured way to strong most of the
time. The rooms were just ok. Bathrooms need a total overhaul ..to small..entertainment staff was not open to ideas or listening to music that we and other people wanted to hear for a change.
We are generally very easy to please and don't complain at all. So trust me when I say stay away..unless this might be your first trip south and have nothing to compare it to,you might enjoy it.

2  Thank Curlerguy38
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Just returned from Runnaway Bay Jamaica, back to Amsterdam.....a magic place according to the Jamaican but .......a magic place is just that where we came from.

Two years ago we went for the first time, to Negril...Couples hotel....What is there to add to that??? Nothing can beat that.....but still.

Club Ambiance is not a 5* hotel, it is not located on the long sandy beach of Negril where you can swim every morning at 06.00 in the nude with star fish and stingray's...No it's not but that is the only thing it is not. It's a 3* palace with a huge Colonial status and yet with the freedom feeling of what Jamaica is all about. For you as a tourist, as a visitor who spends his holiday with them they are absolutely doing: not their best but their VERY best. I read some one wrote the reception desk was not that nice????? Was he wearing his dark glasses??? Mrs Mckenzie at the reception is one of the most loving and cheerfull people I have ever met.... You have a problem...she will solve it...
We as Dutch are not used to a lot of service (I must admit that there is a huge difference between the US and Europe) but service is their middle name......
The hotel is a all inclusive resort and it was all inclusive....How many cocktails can you drink?, How much wonderfull, fresh food can you taste? How many giant beds do you want in your room? How much sunshine can you wish for?
Beaches...ok, It is not one big one....It is several (4/5) small ones, but they give you the feeling of owning your private beach and sharing it just with some friends and neighbours. In which resort do you know all the guests after 2 day's and do you get in contact with people from all over the world....has a Hot hot hot tub that no one else uses at the moment you use it. Which hotel gives you the feeling that you are not a guest but family even though you do not look very related:-)
My husband and I are very much to ourselves, we do not need any entertainment team on holiday's.... yet the team of CA knew how to trigger us, not with everything but less is more....

Some practical advise: Rooms are clean, Tv is good, pillows for beach beds are picked up near the pool, any time you like. Clean towels as of 07.00 same place. Wine is from Chili and nice (merlot) Beer seems to be very populair, cocktails, hmmm but be care full with the Big Bamboo:-) and walk to the beach near the bar, there is a murena living under the rock, if you feed him/her some bread she might come out of hiding if you feed her sausages it surely will.
The Jamaican people are the most fiendly in the world, tread them that way too and you will have friends for life.......
We'll be back.......
Any questions...please ask

3  Thank Batprincess
Reviewed 13 March 2011

This resort has only 90 rooms. It has one large pool that was about 82 degrees. Loved it.
The food was good but not great. But I sure didn't starve and I am a little fussy. The omelettes were great. The rooms were adequate. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom was small but good water pressure. You can drink tap water there it is all purified. You can also get cold water at the bar. Bring your own amenities as it is only a 3 star. No long lines for drinks or food. If you want a real beachthis place isn't for you. They had a couple of small man made beaches but nothing to walk along.
We had a few minor problems and when reported they fixed them right away. They have a high percentage of return guests. The internet is high speed and cheap at $10 for
1 1/4 hours. The entertainment crew kept everyone busy with games and quizes. The drinks are very good and lots of choices. There is one a la carte but it costs $20 per person. It is worth every penny. You get soup, salad, appetizer, entree, wine and dessert.
It was hot but not humid there. We had a beautiful view from room 67. Overlooking the pool and seaview as well. I hope to be returning there next March. If you go on the bamboo rafting trip down the Rio Grande River ask for Valentine. He was excellent. Had a wonderful time. Remember it is not a 5 star but it is a wonderful relaxing quite resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Club Ambiance? Share your experiences!