“DON'T GO UNLESS YOUR LOOKING TO GET SOME SLEEP”
Review of Club Ambiance

Club Ambiance
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I went here for a birthday gift from my mom and it was a shock to me and her that there was only three ppl not including the staff at the whole resort, although the staff is very nice you have to pull teeth to get them to show you some excitement. during the day it is so boring at night things open up but the food was nasty and I didn't have any phone service so I could take pics and could only use my laptop to oovoo my mom by sitting in the lobby. I think the fact that they charge so little for a all inclusive resort should of been the clue. Mom says she thought she was getting a deal because she got the gift from groupon.com. the whole weekend there was three ppl at the resort it was just crazy. Honestly they should close, there is no life in this resort. I am blessed that I love me so the trip was not a bust because I made sure to have fun. what they should do but I know they can't afford to do it is give my money back that would be GREAT!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank YoungTravelor94
Write a ReviewReviews (1,382)

Reviewed 21 June 2013

We got a groupon deal for a few nights here. All in all it was nice. Mostly couples at this location. The beach is nothing to write home about, but they have a bike ride to the public beach and you can swim and enjoy the sea there for about an hour. Just understand that it is a public beach so you will have vendors offering you stuff, it was annoying to me only bc the beach at CA is not really great so I really didn't want to waster my hour warding off vendors when I really just wanted to swim. Back to the resort...Food was great, I have been to MoBay before but this food just tasted better, seemed more authentic as opposed to tourist type food. The rooms, were ok, we got the standard room, when I vacation I basically sleep in my room so all the fancy suite stuff I can take or leave especially since i went with one of my girls and not my husband/boyfriend/significant other. One of the reviews said think HoJo's for the room-i concur. Drinks were great, the bar tenders were always friendly, as were all of the staff. The resort is small and not a lot of ppl were there so it made it great for us, we relaxed, there were no crowds/lines for anything, it was just great. If you want more razzle dazzle I wouldn't suggest this location, but if you like quiet time, good food, good service, sun and an ok beach...find the groupon and have a vacation. *also I gave value pretty high, bc again I got a groupon for for like $250 per person the value was EXCELLENT. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nieva2024
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We spent 5 days here. This is not a 5 star property and doesn't pretend to be. But it is the friendliest, cleanest, calmest and (so far) best kept secret in Northern Jamaica. We came for some adult rest and relaxation. Our room (which they graciously upgraded for us since we had prepaid for a Couples' Spa Package) was clean, spacious and well kept. We slept like babies during the two days it rained. The pool is immaculately kept, sparklingly blue, clothing optional and delicious. When the sun finally came out, we were able to get enough of a tan to go home and say we had been to the Islands.
The spa treatment was glorious. Every bit as relaxing and professional as the spa treatments I have received in 5 star spas. We had a Couples' Serenity Package. Best deal on the menu. We soaked in the Jacuzzi, had ginger-sugar body scrubs, wraps of our choosing followed by massages. We were in a cozy room, side by side with soothing music playing. The treatment, listed as being a two hour treatment, lasted close to two and half hours as the practitioners were keen to make sure that we had an excellent experience. Don't miss a treatment in the spa if you plan to spend time here.
Food was modest, available from 7:30 at breakfast on and off throughout the day until the end of the midnight snack. Lots of local produce and Jamaican flavors. Not the kind of fare you come to expect from more lavish type places, but in the end, it is exactly what works for a nice relaxing trip to a place like this. Breakfast was the best meal and Omar makes an outstanding omelette!
This place is a little jewel, with amazing people. It is halfway between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. Need to go anywhere, just ask for Steve. He will not only take you where you need to go, but will be your guardian angel as you negotiate your purchases to make sure you purchase in the right currency and get the best deal. He is the best tour guide you could ask for. Gibbs and Vinny are the kind of bartenders who remember you right away, and answer all your particular requests with a smile and a local, "no worries".
So, if you are looking for a small, private, adult-only resort, one where you can relax and unwind, It doesn't get better than Club Ambiance. I hated to leave...its the kind of place where you don't even feel like you are on a "vacation"...the staff make you feel like you are at home. We are already planning our next trip back.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suites and rooms overlooking the pool are all desireable
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catorme
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This is not a large property, and very private and quiet. They also do not take kids, if you're looking for somewhere for the entire family.

My husband and I had an ocean view honey moon suite, because they had upgraded us to the honeymoon suite for free, even though we weren't honeymooners. That was nice of them. The room was fair, in terms of furnishings and clean.

They have a bar out back, and one main restaurant on site. They also have a disco club, but they do not offer a variety of entertainment. I think for the price, they should offer more. The food was great, with an authentic Jamaican mix.

Overall, it's okay, but nothing for me to jump all over the place about.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I spent 8 days here and absolutely loved it. I went off season to a Adult Only facility for solitude and relaxation. It exceeded my expectations. Rooms were clean and comfortable. I did NOT want the touristy experience, so it was perfect Staff friendly and accommodating. Value was very good. Here is my diary.....

May 19...

JTL Bus Driver was entertaining and informative.. commenting it was odd for me to go to club ambiance alone. Made me wonder so I asked him why once most of he people were gone. He didn't really answer.. No surprise we stopped for beer & jerk chicken on the way from the airport. Of course I was approached multiple times but they left me alone quickly. Another win was reading about telling them you've been here before & acting confident. Did wonders.

Delightful arrival @ Club Ambiance. Although the street side is disappointing, once inside it became what I anticipated. Friendly people of course. Got a tour from XX. Nice young man well suited to hospitality (i.e. flattery).

YY is security. I suspect he was rolling his eyes @ XX's attention. Met today's bartender (no surprise first thing when left the room).... She told me to bring my cup & she'll make enough to fill it, one drink at a time while I wait..... Looking good!

Good looking group of men playing water volleyball.... .

Restaurant closed by the time I got here, but grill made burgers so I'm content.

Took a lil break then went back exploring the grounds. Ran into XX of course who took me out to legends bar to feed the fish some bread and watch the sunset. Beautiful fish!!!! Saw one with a bright yellow tail I see at the aquariums. Lots of striped ones I'll have to look up.... and one I call a Needle nose but apparently here they call a snake fish. which all the other fish avoided.

The accent is a little difficult for me. I didn't expect to have listen so hard to understand. I must be losing my ear. They revert to patois in conversations with each other. My french & spanish training helps to get the gist if I listen rudely closely.

I hope tomorrow to go back and video the sunset.... It was stunning last night but I was having so much fun feeding the fish I only caught one picture before it was gone from the horizon.

Silly me! Lunch was closed by the time I got there! Dinner starts @ 7. Food was Meh....very salty even for me and tasted like it was canned. XX had said there were about 24 guests currently which could explain the canned taste.

"Chef" ZZ is an attractive and imposing figure.

Satellite TV is rather rique here .... very different from US standards.

May 20...

Woke up quite refreshed about 8.30 local time. Mastered the coffee maker... a small thing with some quirks. There's a latin club across the street. Nothing Club Ambiance can do about it. I was across from it on the east wing. It helped to keep the bathroom door closed. I'd read about being too close to the bar on west wing so I didn't ask my room to be changed. It was manageable.

Have to get used to all the uniforms here. Apparently they dictate what you do. I suspect XX was actually maintenance and used me to blow off his regular work.

I may master a french braid before I leave here. it seems to be the most comfortable even if I don't do it well. The winds seem to be ever present and annoyingly blow my hair into my face.

There are date trees (or maybe those are breadfruit), coconut trees, and what XX told me was an almond tree all around the room by the pool.

XX was a kitchen worker. Watched in the lagoon last night and saw a ray come thru.

May 21...

Very full day! Managed to get a piece of rock stuck in my foot yesterday. Quite painful today... got the piece out but minor infection makes it tough to walk as it's right where I step down on my heel. Went Zip lining. Thought I was supposed to be down there at 10... turns out it's 1:40. Made it to breakfast which was quite good. French toast, scrambled eggs, bacon with fresh fruit & pineapple orange fruit juice(guava/Mangoes whichever is organge is in season and delicious!).. Didn't want to get changed so I wondered around a bit and came up for a nap. Wandered around some more then had lunch... Salad and raisan Rice with a balsamic vinagrette. Interesting trip up to the zip line. The roads are REALLY bad off the main highway;.... At least I thought so.... We got to Cranbrook rain forest gardens which is where the zip line is and took a lorry up during the tropical storm... We got wetter than if we had stood out in the rain! They flew over the worst roads I've seen so beside the rain coming in because we were almost vertical, we hit ever tree branch that sprayed the open cabin. Got up to the top and walked an additional 20 min to get the first line. I was terrified when I looked down.... but did it. Second line was vertical.... OMG I was terrified! I shook so bad the whole platform was shaking. After the 4th line, I started to get more comfortable. The guides were great. Helped me down the wicked trails, calming confidence.

Met a couple from Maryland and some friends from Canada here for a wedding. Also met a guy from Brooklyn.

Came back covered in sweat and rain. Desperately needed a shower. Went to dinner which was quite good.... Lemon chicken, grilled potato, beef stew and rice pilaf... Seems everything is loaded in curry which is NOT good for me... the beef stew about set my mouth on fire, precluding dessert... the lemon chicken was delicious and the margaritas are dayum good. Went for a walk along the lagoon again... my favorite post dinner activity.

Saw the usualy white, yellow, silver fish... so pretty. Saw a hermit crab, couple rays, a puffer fish and either a sea snake or an eel.... it was about 3 ft long so pretty substantial! The Rays were about 8". Don't tell me there are no sharks... if there are rays, there are sharks.

Met a honeymooning couple. Had seen them snorkeling earlier and they came to look at the fish so I offered them my sweet spot... He said he'd been out snorkeling yesterday and came face to face with a Barracuda just outside the cove.

After all that, there is NO WAY I will go snorkeling....I'm terrified... I freely admit that.

They have interesting but small crabs here... kinda blue speckled. Also have a yellow/white smallish crab and dig holes in the sand for homes. If you sit quiet, you can watch them shuffle around to and from their homes. High tide came in about 8 tonite... was pretty high by my standards...

Of course of the 3 pairs of flops I brought, which one do I break? My Cobians... the "good" ones. Somehow I managed to tear the sole where the thong fits in. Have to see if the gift shop has any super glue and hope it works. The local boys keep trying to come thru to fish and perhaps see what they can get from the guests. I try to avoid them.

5/22...

Woke up and had my coffee on the balcony. Had french toast, eggs, & bacon with fresh fruit for breakfast again... also that delicious Guava/Pineapple juice... Orange is the Guava apparently.

They resolved my quandry about Ernest taking me out and having accidentally booked a shopping tour and a trip to Dunns Falls. Spent wayyyy to much shopping. I was hoping he would get commission but he won't admit it. The cruise ship was in port so there were just Wayyyyyyyy too many people for me. Got some special things for certain people. Still too touristy tho and expensive. Stopped at Mama Marleys and had a couple delicious fresh fruit juice cocktails. Didn't taste the spiced rum although I know it was in there. Had a beef patty for lunch and walked around downtown ocho rios a bit. Stopped in what I would call a youngin's store without realizing. Eww... Very hooker clothes but I did replace the comb I broke earlier in the Duty free shopping area. Got a "free" necklace from the street vendor... when he asked for a tip I just kept walking with Ernest so he lost out on that one.

Climbed up some of the falls. It IS beautiful but so touristy... Took me about an hour for my $20 and I was ready to go. Ernest stopped by a "friends" for a moment... I sat in the minivan and prayed... we stopped again at "his family's" bar.. Had a Red stripe full of ice and it was delicious and needed. Saw a what he called breadfruit tree.. they were a lot larger than I knew... they cook it on an open fire in the back of the bar til it's charred. Saw what he called an acai tree... not so sure that's what it was either. Ernest took good care of me but I was so on guard I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. Maybe next time. Paid him in Jamaican as I put almost everything on my card.

So now i"m back and I'm trying to fix my broken Cobian with crazy glue. If it works, great, if not, I need to wear another pair home...

Home... don't want to think aboout it... I still have 3 days dammnit! ... Done my excursions so it's beach, alcohol and water time now. Surprised to see my blue spotted ray in the bay before dark... must have been the storm. Also saw what is either a pike or a cuda in the lagoon. Not sure but I'm sure they would have freaked and the shoals of fish would have freaked if it HAD been a cuda. They have tons of fish... beautiful damsel(?) fish (black and black & yellow), white and yellow fish (striped), Pilot fish (black & yellow striped) large silver fish (6"!+) in a school. Shoals of minnows so thick the water looks black. I was just waiting for something to swim thru them and feast.

Almost dinner time. Not feeling so good. I suspect it was the curry or whatever was hot in the meat patty. I'm pretty exhausted from the day.

Dinner was quite good... Had some rice I suspect had more "curry" in it. Glad I just sampled. The potatoes were interesting and quite good. Had some herb roasted chicken and a special treat! Butterflied filet mignon in this wonderful sweet sauce cooked to order.

My puffer buddy brought friends! Tonite there were 3 and 1 was the other 2 combined! My after dinner relaxing fish watching... I am so worn out it's time for bed in a min even though it's not even 9.30. I've got a rough day of sunshine, swimming, fish watching, and reading ahead of me. Need to rest up. HAHAHA.

Is it possible to drink too much? Survey says..... not sure.... I feel eww'y.... but the tequilas are still going down smoothly. Was on water most of the morning.. Visiting Mama Marley's made me start again... Jamaican dark rum, grenadine, and fresh fruit juice light on the liquor... then it was Red Stripe... then tequila from there...

May 23...

Sunday, How are you coming so fast? Only 2 more days in my paradise. I'm not ready!

Had a lovely breakfast again, but it was buffet, not a la carte. Tells me that occupany is increasing for the weekend. The wonderful waitress remembered I like ketchup on my eggs so it was on the table when I sat down! Now that's service. I have neighbors now. I was so enjoying the solitude. Seems every day it has a brief rain storm. It's a welcome break as it doesn't last long and alleviates the oppressive humidity and stills the winds that foretell it's arrival. After feeling the still, I want the wind.

Spent most of the day by the pool. I really did a number on my calves yesterday. Hobbled around quite badly most of the day but took Chrissy's advice to swim a bit to loosen them up. I'm walking better but stairs are still a challenge and I realized just how out of shape I am. A sobering realization when I couldn't swim the pool for an entire lap without getting out breath. The workers are friendly but sometimes too forward. I'm not sure if it's just my guarded me, being a woman travelling alone. They greet me everywhere and interrupt my joyous solitude at times. Tried to keep from getting burned so I just toasted my legs out from under the umbrella to try and even up the top and bottom. They were laughing at my timer. I couldn't help but laugh too. I owe Jaclyn a few dollars for the abuse her books have taken. Seems no matter how hard I try, I mess things up somehow. They WERE immaculate, looking almost unread when she loaned them. I feel horrible to return them in less that the nearly immaculate condition... Maybe I should just buy new books for her.

The storm was coming as I went to lunch. Delicious. They had the fresh fruit and salad, a MILD version of the jerk chicken (PERFECT for me), Pumpkin Rice and corn on the cob. I know fish is the specialty here, but I still DO NOT LIKE FISH... no matter how it's prepared it's too fishy. LOL

Took another "fish walk" after lunch and I was treated to not one but 2 eels in addition to the puffer fish, and, thankfully, one of the maintenance people pointed out the big silver fish I see are mullet in the lagoon. He said the locals I see are spear fishing. They like puffer and throw it in a pot of boiling water to bring out the spines then eat the meat. That made me sad because they are so apreciated in the wild by me, to think they are someone's dinner makes me sad... bleeding heart that I have... They have a resident cat here, which makes me smile. Last night during dinner, she came and ran thru the dining room just to be sure all the guests noticed her.

Reminds me of the puppy/dog down the road... Thin and searching for food. But no one but me seemed to have the slightest acknowledgement. When you are scrambling for what to feed your family with, animals come second I guess. I understand but still feel sad about it. Goats are everywhere, and they all belong to someone. As Ernest explained to me yesterday, they come out and wander all day, but know where home is every night and no one messes with someone else's goat.

I feel badly about my rampant touristy consumerism in such an impoverished country. Unemployment is high here and those lucky enough to have a job take their responsibility very seriously. Ernest worked on various cruise ships for 20 years he says... he feels blessed with all the experiences he's had. He has children in Miami and Houston who are lawyers and (I think) a doctor. We take so much for granted in the U.S. I think I will leave generous tips of the remaining Jamaican money I have and keep the $50 jamaican (~50 cents U.S.) for my memories. I've not seen any coinage.... I suspect much of their money is paper.. very smart in my opinion.

Ernest had said how difficult it is to get guns here.... I asked him why the murder rate is so high then... He said it's primarily because the foreign drug dealers trade guns for "the Marijuana" because it is cheaper for them than paying cash. Turns out the girl in the store who waited on me with such patience and fortitude's "baby daddy" was in the hospital recovering from an attempted assasination. She needed the money from working to help support her 1 YO. Corruption is rampant here too, as with any 3rd world country. We, as Americans, take our security and limited issues far too much for granted. The hotel down the road had paid off an official to allow them to build over the 3 story limit. When the official went to jail (apparently he pissed off the wrong people and didn't pay it up...) the Grand Bahia had to remove an entire level.

They have been playing Jamaican Gospel all day and it's lovely with the employees walking around singing to it. Some wonderful voices. You'll hear them singing randomly throughout the day as they go about their duties. It's a lovely treat that pulls me out of my funk.

Dinner was apparently more "authentic" jamaican. OMG what do they put in it... Need to research. It about burned my mouth out and I'll surely pay for it tomorrow. The Jerk Pork lit me up.. Jerk Chicken tonite was a little more tolerable but still substantially more spicy than lunch and I left off the spicier Jerk sauce! Actually had dessert tonite for the first time. Tried a plantain tart... not a fan.. The crust was thick almost like a well-done biscuit. Ew. The carrot cake wasn't awful but no icing. I'm not liking these weekend people messing up my paradise.

The cat was joined by 2 more tonite. Calling out to be fed. Of course I couldn't resist and hope these Jamaican spices are standard for the Jamaican cats as I gave them what I couldn't finish from my plate. Yes, I am a sucker.

My "fish show" was quite bare tonite... something large was chasing the mullet or the mullet were chasing something... but quite the uproar. Saw my blue dotted ray again, but not much else. Almost as if the lagoons said "you've seen all we want to show you... tough!".

May 24...

A luxurious day. My usual breakfast. Then down by the pool to read & relax. They opened the pool bar today. I skipped lunch because I was overfull! Completed both the first and second books of the Grey series. Realized I'd gotten burned pretty good because the sheets hurt me.

Dinner pretty much set me on fire. I asked the waiter which was so hot and he said the snapper I'd sampled a small piece of. Had to put my whole plate aside The beef and pork were good when I could taste again on my second plate. I know I'll pay for the fire later. The lagoons were pretty bare. The evening was lovely. I sat by the pool with my feet in the water reading for a while. Was lovely.

I avoided the obnoxious 3some much of the day. But so many other guests have come..

May 25...

Stayed out of the sun and read the final book of the Grey series. What a beautiful day under the palm umbrella.

I'm so sad to be leaving tomorrow. I know I have to pack, but I don't want to....

Local boys were fishing here in the lagoon. Made me sad to see the string of fish they had, but I know they took them home to eat.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank purchgdss
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We have been to Jamaica 4 times. This resort was a real dichotomy. On one hand it was as close to down home Jamaica as I have seen on any resort. But that is typically not what visitors are really looking for, although they profess they want to "experience" Jamaica. Having been all over the island, I can truly say the food we ate was very Jamaican. Being restaurant owners, we can tell you it was excellent. and real Jamaican. But be advised, Jamaicans do not eat like Europeans or North Americans. On one hand, we had all the privacy we wanted as we never saw more than 2 to 4 other people - on the other hand, it was quite boring at times. The beach, if that's what you call it, was nothing short of pathetic. The so called "nude" beach faces the "clothed" beach...........with absolutely nothing to separate the direct view...........simply stupid. The rooms were not as pictured......but then EVERY Resort lies about how nice there rooms are. We have been to three other high end resorts and had rooms that were in just as mediocre condition. Think Motel 6 and you wont be disappointed. The Staff was VERY friendly and VERY helpful with everything we asked for,........ everything. We rated Ambiance overall VERY GOOD. But that is because we like real Jamaican food, real Jamaican staff and our privacy. For those of you interested in the same, go there.We recommend it. If you are looking for a Hotel Mercure or Marriott experience, or a pampered "Home Away from Home" experience, go to Sandal's. You will pay for it, you will get it........but you will not experience the real Jamaica or its people on those resorts. To the owner of Club Ambiance, either sell it, or put the effort into it that it needs. You have a good staff. If you paid attention to the details of your property, you could have a resort with significantly higher occupancy and better reviews. You own a very rough diamond.

Room Tip: Virtually all rooms basically face the ocean......don't pay for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 29 May 2013

small hotel great for couples looking for quiet resort. Food , staff, everything great except no people. There were only about 35 people and the majority were couples. Dont come here single, it is the most boring place I have ever been

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
34 mi away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Club Ambiance? Share your experiences!