“June wedding and fab holiday!”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“June wedding and fab holiday!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I booked here for our wedding in June 2011. After reading the very mixed reviews I was slightly worried, but at the end of the day it's what u make it. So we arrived, got the rooms we asked for. They were great and a lot bigger than expected. Clean tidy and maid was really good. Had some shower issues but these were fixed straight away.
Food was fab, which is bad when u have an 8 day stay before your wedding. Could not fault it at all. They really do cater for everyone.
Staff, especially the waiting staff, were amazing. Met some great people and they gave us anything we asked for. We had 2 birthdays while away and we had cakes made especially.
Wedding day was Amazing. We had the most fantastic time. All the little extras were spot on and it was so relaxed and enjoyable.
All in all the most amazing holiday and wedding ever.
One thing I will say, this is the sort of place people return to 3 and 4 times. How can u argue with that.
It's what u make it. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Charli6522

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (900)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We went from the 26th March/9th April, all I can say is just go ignore all the negative comments, we had a fantastic time. we were dubious after reading some of the reviews on TA, but it was so good we booked to go back in February next year. Better than we expected it was our first Carribean trip and we chose well, Entertainment team put in 100% Kirby need I say was very entertaining. lovely people Jamaican & French alike, accomodation was fine for all the time you spend in the bungalows, mind you we have booked a garden bungalow this time around as they look great, not that there was anything wrong with the beach bungalows, Food was good and plentiful, Would advise the Dunns riverfall trip and The Bob Jeep both worth the money. And a special mention to Amerill our Rep she was very helpful. Roll on Feb 2013 can't come quick enough. So enjoy if you're going you won,t be dissapointed.

Room Tip: We had Beach bungalow No/22 next to the Thai restaurant very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank scoosh
Reviewed 17 April 2012 via mobile

This was a first-time trip to Jamaica & I'd seen very mixed reviews, so was quite anxious about the problems with resort 'upgrades' and room downgrades that were constantly referred to in reviews. I followed advice & sent 2 very friendly emails beforehand to Diane Fairchild, but received no reply at all - not very reassuring! However, we had no problems with our allocated garden cottage accommodation and found it to be adequate for our needs - and quite quaint. Beds were very uncomfortable though, and every other day I had to complain about having no hot water at all. This was fixed within a couple of hours though.

We found all the staff to be friendly, including the reception staff who repeatedly dealt with our hot water issues! One or two of the male staff were rather TOO friendly, and as 2 women travelling alone, we experienced a few 'over-enthusiastic, suggestive, touchy-feely' moments, which made us feel uneasy. It only stopped when our polite 'No' changed to a very firm 'NO'. The talented entertainment team worked very hard and always encouraged participation without pressurising. The evening shows did become repetitive though, and sometimes were quite 'adult' in content, even though children were participating. However, we did have some great evenings in good company and a great atmosphere.

We did some exploring of the island, using a local driver to go to Bob Marley Museum, Black River, Rum Factory etc. We would recommend Paul - as others have on here. We also used the local bus which we caught outside the hotel to go to Dunns River Falls and Ocho Rios for shopping. (Also for Dolphin Cove, which is opposite DRF). We would advise care with choosing an unknown local driver as some have very unroadworthy vehicles and may take you to quite remote places to visit 'their friends' who will try to sell you all kinds of things - which can feel quite pressurised and sinister (from our own experience).

All in all, we had a great holiday, making the most of what the resort and island had to offer. Any minor niggles seemed pretty insignificant when sitting watching the sun set so beautifully over the carribbean, cocktail in hand, with the reggae beat in the background. A wonderful experience, Yeah Mon!

The free activities were very good - particularly the glass bottomed boat, kayaks and pedalos. We always found the bar staff to be friendly and generous with servings

The food was fairly good, with a wide range of choices

Stayed September 2011
5 Thank sunset20000
Nova scotia
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just returned from a one week stay at the Royal Decameron Fun Club Carribean. I have to say I went with an open mind. I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the hotel and the staff. The staff were great especially the highly energy animation staff Cat Woman, Jerky and Frosty. They were a lot of fun and just all around great people to get to spend time with. The people who work at the Decameron are very hard working but absolutely pleased to be serving you at the same time. The staff were always pleasant and very helpful. They made great efforts to have conversations with you and to make you feel welcome at this resort.
The rooms were a bit dated but VERY clean and VERY safe which is a priority for me and my travelling buddy. The maid was prompt with the request for a few extra towels. If you have mobility issues the bathroom may be a bit of a challenge. The shower and tub are one unit but they are elevated.By elevated I mean that you have to climb into the bathtub/shower. If you can not move with any fluidity this is not a good option for you. I, myself had some mobility issues this year but I can lift my legs and get into the tub. If you are wheelchair bound this would be very difficult for you. I did see a lady in a wheel chair and was noticing that the entrance to her exterior door was ramped. If you having any questions about this feel free to email me. I can go into more detail.
Food...OMGosh...where do I start. I found the food to be plentiful and something for every dietary need. There was always chicken of different sorts (jerk, herb crusted, fried) fish and usually a roasted meat of varying kinds every evening meal. There was roast beef, pork tenderloin, roasted fished and lamb. there were lots of fresh vegetables to be had. String beans, carrots, beets, broccoli, cauliflower etc. The salad bar was very good with the basics. Lettuce of varying kinds, cucumbers, carrotts, onions, tomatoes and good home made salad dressings. The bread was very good as well. Desserts were plentiful as well, cookies, ice cream, fruit, flans, pudding, jello and fancy cakes. YUMO
Drinks..Plentiful and tasty. They have lots of cocktails available with or without alcohol. I enjoyed my Brown Cows every day. The dining room staff actually will go and get you a mixed cocktail if you prefer not just the wine served with your meals. (if you choose). We tried both ala cartes Asian and Italian. Both were a wonderful experience. The staff are friendly, fun and very courteous at this resort.
Pools...there are a number of them but I didn't spend any time in them. I prefer the beach with those warm healing waters. There are two beaches, one is a quiet very small beach but the other is a bit larger and that is where the action is and the super fun animation team carry out their primary job responsibilities.
Entertainment...There is music at every meal time. A trio of Jamaican men who play all sorts of easy listening music while you dine. They are there at lunch and at supper meal. Very very nice. The band Popular Demand starts playing around 8:30 and they have a lady who sings with them for about 1/2 hour..Lady Champagne. Again very good music. At 9:30 the every show begins with the dancers from the resort performing. I liked the fact that the entertainment wasn't on so very late at night because I was generally able to keep awake during the performances. I am usually very tired from a day of laying in the sun and doing nothing.
The grounds are clean. This is NOT a big resort. Its very small but it has LOADS of personality. I love this resort and I will go back again. I would easily recommend to my family and friends. If you are taking children with you, I would suggest they be older children. This resort does not have at present staff that addresses childrens entertainment. They do have stuff for the beach for everyone to play with (sea kayaks, paddle boats, snorkeling equipment) but no entertainment for the under 10 aged children. If you are taking children take some beach stuff for them to play with.
I certainly could go on and on about this resort because I loved it so very much. If you have any questions about anything please email me and I will do my very best to inform you according to my personal experience.

Room Tip: We were in the building at the end of the resort..it was quiet in the evenings. Our door and buildin...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank MinniesyKevvy
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

First this was our 4th visit to the royal decameron. We travel from Manchester England on a Thomson flight for which the service and cleanliness of the plane could not be faulted. We travelled for 10hours and the staff really look after you and give a first class service.
Upon arrival in Jamaica we were greeted by the first choice Rep Amaril who remembered us from pervious visits. Throughout the whole holiday Amaril gave everyone 100% excellent service. Upon arrival to RDCC we were worried about how negative the reviews had been. But let us just say there is nothing to worry about. We booked 2 cottages but upon arrival we were told that our cottages would not be ready until the next morning. We were UPGRADED to a suite but due to the stairs we could not take this offer so after speaking to the general manager Pedro plus Judith the accommodation manager we were further UPGRADED to the royal suites on the ground floor. As promised the next morning we were given our 2 cottages with no further problems throughout the whole of our 2week stay. All the management team and staff are all very approachable if you do have a problem.

Staff- we were abit worried about the “French invasion” but there is nothing to worry about. All of the French staff are very welcoming and always pleasant. The Jamaican entertainment team led by Rocky work very hard to make sure that everyone has a good time. The bar staff and all the restaurant staff work really hard to make sure that all the people staying at this resort are well looked after and in return it is always worth looking after them.

Beach/gardens- again always well maintained with staff working all day and all night to make sure that it is all kept immaculate. The water sports team on the beach work really hard to make sure nothing is to much trouble and all the watersport activities are well monitored and well organised.

Cottages- we had 2 cottages and both were well looked after by having a maid service everyday, with clean towels and bed sheets whenever required. The cottages are very big and spacious and have a walk in wardrobe and the biggest bed you could dream of plus a flat screen tv, ceiling fan and AC which works excellent. If you are in your room when the made arrives or return to your room whilst it is being cleaned the maids will always talk to you like your their family.

Food- I cant see how anybody could have a problem with their food. There is food available from 7am-11am for breakfast then lunch is from 12pm-2.30pm and dinner is from 6pm-9.30pm and in-between these times 12-5pm there is the Jasmin Delta for snacks such as pizza, hotdogs, burgers, toasted sandwiches and fries. The food is always first class with a choice of lots of dishes at each serving. So no one will ever go hungry. There is also an excellent choice of drinks from 4 different bars. There are also 2 restaurants a seafood and a thai restaurant which we didn’t visit as the buffet food is excellent.

Trips- alot of reviews say you can book your trips outside the gate with private taxi’s but we have always booked our trips through the first choice Rep, which are reasonable priced, you do not save that much money and the Rep and the hotel know exactly where you are whilst you are not on the complex. Not only this but you are insured incase something goes wrong. Whilst in Jamaica we have swam with the dolphins which is amazing and a once in a life time opportunity, we have also done horse riding in the sea which is a must do and on every visit we have climbed Dunns River falls this again is amazing but just be warned about the flea market as you depart this trip if you just say no thank you and keep walking you will be fine.

Whilst on this visit the Decameron group have acquired a new property which they have called the Fun Caribbean. You can choose to stop at this resort if you wish, there is a free mini-bus to travel from one site to the next from 9am-11.30pm. We visited the Fun Caribbean and met loads of old faces from RDCC. At the Fun Caribbean there are 2 restaurants one is Japanese and the other Italian you are welcome to use either of these restaurants aswell as there buffet. There are also 3 large swimming pools with swim up bars, water slide and Jacuzzi’s in them.

The RDCC is a 3* hotel with 5* service, if you have any questions about this resort please feel free to ask.

Room Tip: All of the management and staff are approachable!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Amy1491
Durham
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed at the decameron March 19th - April 4th, we got the rooms we had asked for and there was no hassle to upgrade to the fun club just a pleasently worded offer put through our cottage door. The option was open to us no pressure whatsoever, it did feel nice to have the choice if you wanted to swap, we didn't.

The cottages are great, no complaints. The grounds are gorgeous and really well looked after so many different plants and if you care to look for it wildlife around the area (land crabs, blue herons, cuckoo's, frigate birds, pelican's, turkey vultures, cattle egret's) The grounds are a photo opportunity at every turn. Palm trees and turquiose waters as a backdrop.

Drinks - plentiful! Try the Jamaican Brandy! Cocktails, ok but apart from the calypso were a bit suggary for our tastes but that's us.

Food - can't understand that some people don't rate the al a carte's, the service is 5 star and the food is amazing! lovely atmosphere at both but especially the Thai (Thai background music, low level lighting / candles etc very romantic) Main buffet was great too, my husband and I both put weight on but well worth it. Something for everyone, do try the jamaican food, a little odd on ocassion but mostly great. (Not a fan of boiled yams or pumpkin souffle personally but hubby had chicken soup or stir fry for breakfast on a few days!?)

Entertainment was surprisingly good, but whilst some of the french animation team work excellently with the jamaican team others can be a bit overbearing - oh la la!!! wears thin fairly quickly. That said it wasn't a problem and the entertainment on the whole was better than expected. The Jamican staff, dexter and Kerm are just natural comedians and put their heart and soul into everything they do!

I was worried after all the neg reviewes but we had an amazing time!!! You'' love it!!

Room Tip: We asked for a quite beach front room and got just that. Right at the far end of the resort, nice an...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank DurhamPurpleHaze
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Simply, this is a really good value for money holiday. We booked through First Choice. As mentioned in previous reviews, the hotel is not a 5 star. We stayed in one of the 'cottage style' rooms within the garden area. They were basic, but they had all that you need when on holiday. The main thing for me was the fact that they were very clean. The gardens were immaculate and well maintained. Hammocks and chairs were dotted around them and gave excellent areas for relaxation.

The food was very good and there was plenty of choice for everyone regardless of your requirements. The only slight complaint was that some foods were slow to be refilled. I put this down to the 'Jamaican' culture. I was so relaxed at this point, it was irrelevant.

The staff are excellent throughout and this does include the French contingent who were there for the plethora of French holiday makers. You do have to remember that they are employed for the French specifically. There is a tipping culture, but if you don't give there appeared to be no favouritism to those that were. If there was, it was not obvious. We gave tips at the end of the holiday to our favourites, but it would have been very expensive to give to all the people that served us at the bar or the restaurants. There were copious amounts of staff and as a result, you did feel well looked after and all the areas were kept very clean.

The beach appeared to be man made (not sure if this is the case), but it was well maintained. It is in 4 coves and each is well covered with sunbeds and canopies to stay out of the sun if required. The water was clean, but there were many stones a few feet into it. These were a little annoying. The waterspouts appeared to be well covered, but we did not engage in any of these.

Finally and as a special note, we fully enjoyed our time and we met some good and we hope long lasting friends. However, we did feel that our true 'Jamaican' experience was hampered by the fact that the hotel animation and team was not 'jamaican' enough. A lot of the entertainment was managed by the French team and as a result was very much geared for them. On several occasions during the activities my wife decided to stop as she could not understand the instructions being given. On the other hand, the 'Jamaican' team were much more dynamic and caring for our needs. We can only recommend that the hotel considers returning back to a 100% 'Jamaican' team so that ALL holiday makers get what they go to Jamaica for - Jamaican culture and experience.

The above said, a great holiday and one resort we would truly recommend.

Room Tip: Cottage style rooms are excellent and tend to be by quiet. Never too far from the beach.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#23 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,147 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!