“Yea man!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
“Yea man!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Just returned from RDC and having originally been suspect due to negative reviews I was blown away by the hotel and staff.
I'll cover the hotel in sections:

Reception:
Very efficient, checked in with a welcome drink within 10 mins

Rooms:
We stayed in a garden cottage. The hut was basic (3 star after all) but the bed was comfy (5 pillows) the A/C was very efficient and plenty of hot water in the shower. Flat screen tv on the wall with approx 30 American cable channels. Would have preferred a beachside hut but none available but the gardens were beautiful, well kept with plenty of hammocks.

Food:
Massive amounts of choice at all meals, breakfast on til 10.30 then snacks available til 11.00.
Snacks (burgers, hotdogs, pizza etc..) available all afternoon and evening snacks put on as well.
As healthy or fat boy as you want!!

Drinks:
Bar staff all very friendly and I tipped the odd dollar which went down well although none of the staff expect or ask for tips. Glasses are fairly small so need to be refilled fairly often but red stripe/ rum was lovely with alcoholic slushies also available. Plus big range of cocktails. Once you get friendly with the bar staff they'll have your drinks waiting for you. Some fellow holiday makers just need to learn basic manners and treat people how they would wish to be treated.

Beaches/pools:

Never used the adult pool, the main pool was very manic with the entertainment crew playing games and dragging people up on stage so if your after a relaxing time best not sunbathe there but all other 4 beaches very quiet and spotless.
Plenty of lifeguards on duty and free basic water sports available.
Sand pristine and constantly raked. Sea warm and inviting.

Staff:
As with other positive reviews, the staff make this place. All happy, smiling and helpful. All the bar staff and waiters we encountered were polite and efficient and loved to have a chat and a joke.
The entertainment crew were awesome and had me in stitches constantly ( big up scoobie, bird man, freestyle, vanilla, empress, giggles and Mandy) and also a big up to Lenny the barman! Top lad.
I'm a big lover of Jamaican food, and we heard from several locals that Scotchies was the place to go. It's about a $30 taxi ride but well worth the time and effort, very cheap with the best Jamaican food on the north coast ( and that's from locals!!)
We had heard good reviews of sharkies but when we walked there (10 min wander) we found they had sold out of almost everything and then waited an hour for a tiny fried fish each. Maybe it was an off night but I wouldn't recommend it.

Entertainment:
A different show every night, bands, dancers etc... Varied enough and typical cheesy hotel entertainment. We ventured out to a few local bars and encountered no hostility at all, all patrons were friendly and chatty. You buy your little bottle of rum and mixer or beer and kick back and chat with the locals. Very basic but great fun.

Excursions:
We took advice from this site and booked excursions through local taxi drivers instead of the agents which proved cheaper and more fun. You are not stuck in a coach with other holidaymakers and have the luxury of being able to stop for photos/ toilet breaks etc at your leisure.
Our taxi driver, Patrick was a wealth of knowledge and did little things like pulling over at fruit stalls in the little towns to buy us different fruits to try and there is little he does not know about this beautiful island. I would thoroughly recommend him to another travelling to the oche/ runaway Bay Area. ( he can be contacted on pbaldie@hotmail.com or locally on 1-876-775-3584)
The trips we did we're Dunne river falls, horseback riding in the sea and nine mile ( the birthplace of bob Marley) all awesome trips.

All in all, Jamaica, it's people and the resort exceeded our expectations massively, we will be returning as soon as we can. Please don't listen to the negative reviews, yes it isn't 5 star but doesn't confess to be. It's fun friendly and a home from home, yeah mon!!! Aaaright!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Paul_Manchester68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (877)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I can absolutely recommend Royal Decameron. It is fenced off with 24-hour security, which is good not only for the feeling of safety, but also allows you to enjoy your time on the beach without dozens of people trying to sell you something. There are 2 pools, and I especially enjoyed the adult pool. There was sun, shade, a lifeguard, and a bar - what more could you want? We met a couple who had booked at the Royal Decameron in Mo Bay, but couldn't stay there because it was overbooked. Once they got to Runaway Bay, they decided to remain there for the week. The food was good, rooms were cool and cleaned daily, and the most outstanding part of our stay was the people. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. They even have a nurse on duty 6 days a week, which (unfortunately) came in handy for me. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Royal Decameron Club Caribbean and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in a room in the back corner of the property, which we thought would be quiet. Unfortunatel...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank dawn h
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I've been home 1 day and I'm having serious withdraw symptoms and looking to book to go back as soon as possible!! Ignore all the bad reviews, this hotel may not be your top of the range big 5* and they don't claim to be, so why go there expecting it?? I found the cottages to be slightly basic but just right for what I needed, I mean who goes on holiday to sit in their room?? There was plenty of food choices, so no complaints from me there!! For me what made the holiday was the staff/people, they all took the time to talk and make you feel welcome and it really starts to feel like "a home from home" I'd like to big up the fun crew as they really do go the extra mile to get everyone involved so no one feels left out, they are all great but in my opinion birdman, scooby and empress were my favourites, and they made my holiday! Also the lifeguards are great especially Kyle! Overall this hotel is kept exceptionally tidy, from the beach attendants who are daily raking the beaches and burying all the seaweed, the sanitation team who do the pools, bar etc in the mornings everyday, the maids who do a great job of the rooms, changing bedding and towels etc, to the gardeners who are there daily keeping the grounds looking lovely!! All so hardworking and lovely, keep up the good work all, and I'll be seeing you again!!

• Stayed November 2013
7 Thank Penelope_lou
Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Have just returned from a trip to Jamaica. We had originally booked to stay for 2 weeks at the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean but after 4 days of being at the hotel we decided we wanted to move. In the interests of trying to make this a well-balanced review I’m not going to out and out slate the hotel but go over the good and bad points to allow any readers the chance to make an informed decision.

First of all, the good points;
Unique individual huts were a great selling point and very picturesque to look at.
The beaches (4 in total) were kept exceptionally clean, every morning the seaweed was moved and buried to keep them looking nice. The 4 beaches were protected by artificial harbours which kept the waves down to a minimum.
The patio style bar was quiet and with the sun loungers facing the sea was a nice place to sit and relax.
The speciality restaurant could only be booked in the morning for that evening, so as long as you were up early enough you could always get space.

The bad points;
There are new huts being built right beside the adults only swimming pool. Lots of hammering, sawing, grinding noise and along with that dust. You could taste the dust from the on-going work when you were by that pool. To that end, this pool was always deserted.
The main swimming pool is very small. It is also right by the stage, where the entertainment team will try and get you to take part in their daily activities. As the hotel was kind of quiet, they were having to work hard to get people involved which meant that they were trying to drag everybody up on stage. This and the loud music meant that it was not a relaxing place to be.
Our hut was in a very poor state of repair and would have taken a complete refurbish to bring it to a standard I would expect.
Due to the size of the dining area, the choice of food available was limited. Having said that, due to the amount of salad choice, I was always able to find something to eat and I am a fussy eater.
During meal times, it can be difficult getting a drink from the bar as the waiting staff also were getting drink for people who were eating.
Due to the location of the stage (opposite side of the swimming pool to the bar and dining areas), there was a severe lack of seating available if you wanted to watch the evening show.
Most importantly, for the days we were at the Decameron, both myself and my girlfriend would always start to fell unwell in the afternoon, getting progressively worse as the evening went on. Neither of us could explain this, but it cleared up as soon as we switched hotels.

To sum up, having seen the reviews, I was expecting a lot better from this hotel. Thomsons, who we booked out holiday through, said that even though it was a 3 star it should really be a 4. Personally I would argue that it might not even be a 3 star, and I will be complaining to them about the standard of the hotel.
The £200 it cost to upgrade to a different hotel was the best expenditure I have made this year. It is also worth noting that on the day we left, there were a further two couples doing exactly the same thing, but they had only lasted 1 night!
I suppose that I was just expecting a lot more and didn’t come all the way to Jamaica to settle for (in my opinion) a sub-standard hotel. If you are spending all that money on a flight, don’t ruin your holiday by scrimping on the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank AndyG1978
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

If I had it to do over I would not stay at RDCC. The rooms need total updating and the hotel is not in a desirable location. We stayed October 26- November 2. While staying there we heard gun shots outside of the resort on the street (night of Halloween) there was a drive by shooting. The beach views are nice but we did not enjoy our room at all. The beds are hard as rocks because they are on slabs of concrete and we had one flat pillow each. We also got bitten by bed bugs during our stay we found out on our return home. The alcohol is not strong at all. The drinks taste like juice so just stick to the beer. We ended up buying our own alcohol at the gift shop and adding to our drinks...Early in the morning they spray for bugs and the smell seeps under the door and smells horrible for at least an hour. The Wi-Fi did not work most of the time. If I had it to do over I would spend a little more money and stay somewhere else...wish I had of this time but I tried to keep an open mind. Listen to the negative reviews they are not lying.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MrsSeaburro
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Entrance way down a shabby side street was surprising but lobby, grounds, cottages layout and beach location were good. Cottages here and there need a bit of attention like 106 needed replacement of some bathroom tiles and missing towel rail. If you need a bath tub check at time of booking as we were told by reception there were none but saw one in a beach front cottage! Other than that a/c was good and quiet and accommodation was very good and kept clean. Majority of staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly . Evening entertainment was of pretty good quality compared to other Caribbean hotels we have used. Day time entertainment was often too loud as couldn't escape the microphone even on the furthest beach from the stage. The beaches were raked daily and had the best condition sunbeds I have seen. The restaurant was kept clean and tidy and there was a good selection of food - English and continental breakfast as well as Jamaican - although not my taste to have Liver, Calalloo, Akee and Saltfish at 7am - lunch and dinner always had local and international food on offer with two or three meat dishes and a fish dish with a variety of accompaniments. Never difficult getting a drink from the bar but disappointing that there was no Cocktail Menu - bar staff would make any cocktail but you needed to know what to ask for!! Mosquito bites were a particular problem to me although fogging was carried out 4 times I believe. WiFi was a pain - not working, then free, then pay but have to use all in one go or credit was lost, or crashed and credit lost. Noise from local disco till 4am on Fridays and Saturdays affected sleep. However, overall an enjoyable holiday experience and we would go back there.

Room Tip: The cottages in the area nearer the Adult Pool, Jetty Bar and beaches seemed to have more space arou...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chalkie49
Glassboro, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

This was our second visit to the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Jamaica. We had another perfect week. Great rooms, perfect staff...the food is amazing! Loved it...I daydream about going back again every day.

Room Tip: We like t.he garden section
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#20 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,106 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!