Just returned from RDC and having originally been suspect due to negative reviews I was blown away by the hotel and staff.
I'll cover the hotel in sections:
Very efficient, checked in with a welcome drink within 10 mins
We stayed in a garden cottage. The hut was basic (3 star after all) but the bed was comfy (5 pillows) the A/C was very efficient and plenty of hot water in the shower. Flat screen tv on the wall with approx 30 American cable channels. Would have preferred a beachside hut but none available but the gardens were beautiful, well kept with plenty of hammocks.
Massive amounts of choice at all meals, breakfast on til 10.30 then snacks available til 11.00.
Snacks (burgers, hotdogs, pizza etc..) available all afternoon and evening snacks put on as well.
As healthy or fat boy as you want!!
Bar staff all very friendly and I tipped the odd dollar which went down well although none of the staff expect or ask for tips. Glasses are fairly small so need to be refilled fairly often but red stripe/ rum was lovely with alcoholic slushies also available. Plus big range of cocktails. Once you get friendly with the bar staff they'll have your drinks waiting for you. Some fellow holiday makers just need to learn basic manners and treat people how they would wish to be treated.
Never used the adult pool, the main pool was very manic with the entertainment crew playing games and dragging people up on stage so if your after a relaxing time best not sunbathe there but all other 4 beaches very quiet and spotless.
Plenty of lifeguards on duty and free basic water sports available.
Sand pristine and constantly raked. Sea warm and inviting.
As with other positive reviews, the staff make this place. All happy, smiling and helpful. All the bar staff and waiters we encountered were polite and efficient and loved to have a chat and a joke.
The entertainment crew were awesome and had me in stitches constantly ( big up scoobie, bird man, freestyle, vanilla, empress, giggles and Mandy) and also a big up to Lenny the barman! Top lad.
I'm a big lover of Jamaican food, and we heard from several locals that Scotchies was the place to go. It's about a $30 taxi ride but well worth the time and effort, very cheap with the best Jamaican food on the north coast ( and that's from locals!!)
We had heard good reviews of sharkies but when we walked there (10 min wander) we found they had sold out of almost everything and then waited an hour for a tiny fried fish each. Maybe it was an off night but I wouldn't recommend it.
A different show every night, bands, dancers etc... Varied enough and typical cheesy hotel entertainment. We ventured out to a few local bars and encountered no hostility at all, all patrons were friendly and chatty. You buy your little bottle of rum and mixer or beer and kick back and chat with the locals. Very basic but great fun.
We took advice from this site and booked excursions through local taxi drivers instead of the agents which proved cheaper and more fun. You are not stuck in a coach with other holidaymakers and have the luxury of being able to stop for photos/ toilet breaks etc at your leisure.
Our taxi driver, Patrick was a wealth of knowledge and did little things like pulling over at fruit stalls in the little towns to buy us different fruits to try and there is little he does not know about this beautiful island. I would thoroughly recommend him to another travelling to the oche/ runaway Bay Area. ( he can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org or locally on 1-876-775-3584)
The trips we did we're Dunne river falls, horseback riding in the sea and nine mile ( the birthplace of bob Marley) all awesome trips.
All in all, Jamaica, it's people and the resort exceeded our expectations massively, we will be returning as soon as we can. Please don't listen to the negative reviews, yes it isn't 5 star but doesn't confess to be. It's fun friendly and a home from home, yeah mon!!! Aaaright!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Runaway Bay about an hour from Montego Bay International Airport, the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean is located in one of the most beautiful and picturesque place of the island, populated by friendly and happy people. This hotel's architecture offers incredible paths through the gardens and terraces until you reach the 2 swimming pools, one exclusively for adults and another with all the facilities for children. This hotel also has a long dock for sunbathing. The cottage-style rooms bring a tropical environment and let you enjoy the peace of the beach where you can partake in a large variety of water sports. Its restaurants offer many different types of cuisine which range from typical Jamaican flavors to the exquisite tastes of Asian food. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Decameron Club Caribbean reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Decameron Hotel Caribbean
- Royal Decameron Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Caribbean
- Royal De Cameron
- Club Caribbean Jamaica
- Decameron Jamaica Royal
- Caribbean Club Decameron Royal
- Club Decameron Jamaica Royal
- Royal Decameron Club Caribbean Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Club Jamaica