“Royal De cameon jamicia”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Aldershot
“Royal De cameon jamicia”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The Hibiscus suites were very noisy right on the main road and not soundproofed needs upgrading these parts of the complex we were not happy with our accommodation as it was not comfy just empty and bland food was often cold and lack of water points for refilling your bottle

Room Tip: The Hibiscus suites were very noisy right on the main road and not soundproofed needs upgrading thes...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hampshirehog21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband, two children and myself travelled to the Decameron from the 4th to the 18th April and spent two wonderful and unforgettable weeks at this marvellous hotel. We had adjoining bungalows (86 and 87), and although basic in its decor it afforded us large beds, flat screen TV, air conditioning and a ceiling fan.
There are so many positives with this hotel it is hard to know where to start. The friendliness of the total workforce is immeasurable. From the initial reception check-in, cleaning staff, catering staff, gardeners, management, bar and pool staff the service was exemplary. And I would be doing them a dis-service if I did not mention the extremely hardworking entertainment staff who went above and beyond to ensure that we were smiling all day everyday. Each evening we were treated to live entertainment and themed nights where the entertainers invited us to participate fully. Big shout out to Scooby, Empress and George to name a few.
The attention to detail paid to maintaining the beauty of this resort is continuous. Each day we witnessed gardeners repositioning stonework, replanting flowers, cleaning common areas, watering plants etc. All of these things aided the beautiful and relaxing environment that surrounded us. There are also lovely wooden chairs, wicker swing chairs and hammocks dotted around the grounds for use by all residents.
There were four restaurants to dine in. The main restaurant operated breakfast hours from 6- 10.30, lunch 12-2.30 and then evening meal from 6pm. Between this you can also eat at the grill restaurant situated at the other end of the beach which became a Thai restaurant in the evenings. There is also a seafood restaurant which has to be booked. My husband and I dined here for our 10th wedding anniversary celebration and the food was exceptional. The staff were very attentive and even entertained us by bringing our plates to the table balancing them on their heads.
The pool and beach area were clean and we'll kept and it was reassuring to witness the continual presence of lifeguards.
On a minor negative note at our initial meet and greet we were amongst other things, informed about introductory tennis lessons. The following morning my husband took our six year old along for a 45 minute session, he then had an hour session. At the end of this the instructor Christopher charged my husband for the session. We were later informed that we should not have been charged but decided not to make a fuss. On another morning my elder daughter and I used the gym. This is an area which needs a major overhaul. Many of the machines are antiquated and inoperable. What really perturbed me was the overt attention received by the gym staff and tennis coach which was a little off-putting. Needless to say I did not return there for the remainder of my stay.
Also, as the mother of a six year old I feel that the kids club could be better advertised. We visited the club on one occasion but was told by the French entertainer who was looking after three French children, that he could not cater for my daughter because he did not speak English.

I have been to Jamaica many times but no experience has been like the Decameron. My family and I would like to say a massive THANK YOU to everyone involved in our stay. My elder daughter will be returning in November and we are planning to return next April.

Room Tip: If you want good views and pleasant surroundings do not book the courtyard rooms. This area is near...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Marcia G
Ivybridge
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I am trying to work out how this hotel manages to produce such a constant good service at the price it charges, do not misunderstand this statement as it really is a very good hotel and for the price produces excellent results.
Mind you a lot of this is down to the staff being top-notch and this is a constant unvarying level of good customer care mixed in with an obvious carefull administration in its restaurants.
Not that its food was either good or bad it is foodwise well tempered to all of its clientelle and taking a "Vox Pop" approach we found most people liked most of the fare.

Some people on here have mentioned a miss-match between types of folks staying at Decameron and I can certainly concur that at times it wasnt well balanced, ie; large groups of French folks taking over "En Masse" certain bars and doing their own thing and I noticed that this seemed to exclude other nationalities, we just sat amongst them and tried to go with the flow but some folks found this sort of takeover a tad to much to bear and when you factor in the fact that with this activity comes a 9 strong French annmation team giving their all to get this off the ground then you can get an idea of how intrusive this might feel to other non Gaelic guests.

Also there was a constant noise emminating from the main pool/bar area throughout the day where the emphasis was "Join Our Playtime" and within this the annimators sought out guests to join in fruitless childish games of which the progress of was blasted out over a very loud sound system, OK, go to a Club 30 if you want this type of holiday but leave me out PLEASE!

I am not a grumpy old man, I am a person who wants to fit in with a like minded crowd of folks who get on together and have a laugh and also want to relax on holiday and this I did find amongst the Canadian/American/English/Scandanavian guests and I am not a person whom dislikes French people (My wife is French born) and we were in St Lucia two months ago where 50% of the guests were French but non of these never slid into a form of French Butlins games let alone insult the Caribbean waitresess.

OK we all have our fun time wherever we go and I shall now go off this theme.

The Hotel has an ample beach front in which you will find more than enough beach loungers and you are served with four beach bars all serve good branded booze and very good bar staff who work long hours so we gave an odd dollar or two in recognition of their service.

We found the main Restaurant OK and the beach Asian restaurant weird what with hacked up ends of Chicken Jerk (Perhaps we got there to late) and the best was the Fish Restaurant.

The Fish Restaurant has to be booked daily and after our first visit decided to come here every night, it is professionably run by a small team of chefs and attentive waiters whom will make your visit tasty and enjoyable, this team is headed up by the very efficient Team Leader called Maudalin, this woman deserves real accreditation as she is the very heart of this business in so much as she encaptulates the ethos of Decameron, she needs to be promoted as she was the best we have ever met and we have travelled all the world.

So to sum up.

Rooms, Good and spacious (Superior Garden Room)
Beach, Very Good.
Bars, Excellent.
Restaurants, Good, Fish Restaurant 5*****
Reception, Good
Staff, 5*****
Resort, 5*****
Accomadation 4****
Overall 4****

Room Tip: Beach Huts seem small. Go for a Superior Garen room for economy.
2 Thank BasilIvybridge
essex
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Just got back yesterday after 2 wonderful weeks at this hotel, had a lovely garden bungalow just behind the beach cottages and away from all the loud entertainment at night, you could hear the waves while laying in bed, which I must say was so relaxing. Our accomodation was great, lovely massive bed, hot water and had a good nite sleep every night. we spent the majority of our holiday on the far left hand side of the hotel as the beach and water were so much nicer then the rest, had a lovely bar and was quiet. Weather was brilliant and windy for the 2 weeks so I was very happy. Food was lovely, massive choice, lovely salad bar and fruit bar, lovely friendly staff and helpful, only downfall....The French !!!! ....im not wasting my time with them so I end it here lol.....don't be put off by bad reviews...this hotel is friendly, very clean and attention to detail was obvious, while we were there, they were painting, fixing and gardening and cleaning and wiping things down.....want a cheaper trip then go see Pauline who has a little shop on the corner, just outside the barrier, her brother took us out on a trip and it saved us a lot of money, and driven in a lovely car and stress free......TIPS: you don't need beach towels or bath towels unless you like a massive towel lol......take a travel kettle if you like a cuppa the min you wake up...we did, we took coffee and coffee creamer so it was nice in the mornings.....you don't need a hairdryer or iron as all provided in the rooms. also air con was great and worked with a ceiling fan too.....Enjoy this lovely hotel, we had an amazing time and will deffo go back......After reading reviews its obvious to me not to go in the busy times....we didn't and it was lovely.......Have a great time :)

Room Tip: Cottage 78...just far away from all the entertainment at night, but also close enough to everything
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank yvettebaines
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We celebrated our wedding anniversary here at the end of March. Had a great time.

Our room was right on the beach front, it was like a little house. We could lie in bed and see the waves lapping a few feet from our window. When the the wind was strong and the sea was rough it could be quite noisy when trying to sleep, but overall lovely. It was clean and fairly modern. We had a huge comfy bed. There was a nice flat screen TV opposite the bed but we never turned it on. Sadly no coffee or tea facilities in the room. We had to pay a small amount to use the safety deposit box.

The beach was OK. Plenty of sun loungers. We were near the Jetty bar which was great.

The restaurants were good, plenty of food and excellent variety. Good choice of drinks were always available.

Service was good and most of the staff were really helpful. The entertainment was OK but we're not very good at being entertained and preferred to seek out the quieter spots.

There was a lot of French holiday makers around who were OK most of the time, but they did seem a bit arrogant and sometimes rude to restaurant staff.

I did find the smokers really annoying. It wasn't bad enough to stop me from going back, but if you have paid for a holiday expecting to smell fresh sea air and my own body basted in sun cream... then some some selfish idiot blowing fag smoke over the beach was aggravating.

We visited Dunn's Falls, Mystic Mountain and Dolphin Cove, all brilliant. There is loads left for us to do next time around.

Can't wait to go back. Jamaica is brill. People are lovely. The Thomson Dreamliner 787 was awesome, so quiet and comfy.

Highly recommended.

1 Thank Mark S
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Hubby and I celebrated 20 years together at the Royal Decameron in Runaway Bay, JA end of March 2014 for 1 wonderful, glorious and relaxing week!
This resort seems to get great reviews with exception to the complaints about the French guests which makes up approx. 70% of the resort guests. Yes, we did observe some "rudeness" of these guests behavior however I must also add that to all those who are complaining about "the French":....I must point out that aside from only a couple of friendly fellow Ontarian s; most everyone kept to themselves and we found many guests kind of "snobby" and unapproachable...no one really mingled with one another nor smiled or even made eye contact.... (strange and a bit disappointing) When we checked in we were assigned a Courtyard Room~ this was disappointing as we were promised a Bungalow however Latoya (reception) assured us they would do their best to have us moved. We also addressed this with Carlos (guest services manager) who was absolutely professional as well comped us a 1/2 hour Couple massage with Evelyn for the inconvenience. :D (i highly recommend Evelyn for an amazing relaxing massage!!)
Now the Courtyard rooms are located at the very entrance of the resort and so very close to the hwy as well as a mini-mall which is frequented by locals who can get a bit loud....but that's not the problem...the problem was a very frustrating barking dog who started up around 1am and continued through he night until 6am....after 2 sleepless nights we got moved to a Bungalow (#73) Perfection! We were much closer to the beach and was much quieter! The food was amazing; wonderful selection! No complaints on the food!
The drinks; strong!!!! Perhaps the bar tending staff can focus on the quality of bevvies they are serving rather than the 3/4 booze:1/4 mix and stop being so cheap with the ice already!!! I also found that most of the bartenders lacked personality...they didn't really take notice of us until the 4th day there and finally began remembering our drink orders! ?????
The evening entertainment shows were completely cheesy...perhaps RD can work on better entertainment....the worst was the lounge-lizard-sounding band.... and the French Entertainment crew specifically employed to keep the French guests entertained get really obnoxious after the 2nd day.....(eye roll) One of the crew we really liked though was Empress; such a lovely young lady :D
Day Trip: The most disappointing part of our stay was paying $10 to be driven and dropped off for 2 hours of (very stressful) shopping in Ochos Rios; you get dropped off in front of the Craft Market and once you enter you feel as though you are being pulled in all directions to "come and take a look at my merchandise"...."it costs nothing to look".... "you promised me you would come and visit my booth."....way too much and stressful...but it was the necessary evil to get the souvenir shopping out of the way and were so glad to see John (our driver) pick us up to bring us back to the safety and serenity of our beach chairs!
I can't say enough about the cleanliness of this resort and attention to detail the cleaning staff and gardeners! The Royal Decameron is a bit dated but so well cared for that it gets an "A"! Beach chairs are all in excellent condition and rarely had trouble finding a good seat! Bring your water shoes though....beach can be weedy and some rocky areas.
You may get approached by certain staff to purchase "goodies" once you first arrive (due to your lack of a tan you kind of stick out as a "newbie" to the resort which makes you an easy approachable target....once you gain a bit of color, they leave you alone....lol....otherwise, a simple "no thanks" is all you need to answer.)
One last thing to mention; I am disappointed with our Air Canada Rouge Rep who hotel staff claimed was named "Cleveland"... I don't know if "Cleveland" even existed bc whenever we inquired to his whereabouts no one seemed to know or they stated "he was just here...you missed him"...he also failed to show up in the lobby at our instructed time on our 2nd day to give us our info about hotel....we didn't realize there was a 2nd (adult) pool on resort until 4th day there!!!! Kind of felt that our experience may have been better had we known more about the resort amenities....
This resort is perfect if you are looking for simple relaxation. The crowd is not rowdy by any means and average age would be around 45 - 60. I would return to the RD in a heartbeat and without any hesitation recommend a stay here! My only regret is that we didn't stay longer than just a week!!! :D BRAVO ROYAL DECAMERON!!!

Room Tip: avoid Courtyard Rooms; very noisy and close to main Hwy Try to avoid any Bungalows near main entert...
1 Thank kimelu
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Just returned from 2weeks of total chill.food fab no problems with the french.had room58 near to everything ,no problems with noise .just one tip the hot water was to hot especially if you've got young kids.look out for the heron with the wheel trim

6 Thank graham g
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#24 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!