“friendly and relaxing - great resort!”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Bristol
“friendly and relaxing - great resort!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I've just returned from 2 weeks at RDCC and it was a fabulous holiday. I was worried about the french and not getting the room I booked based on previous reviews. However, the french contract had ended the week before I arrived and I got the room type I had booked (garden cottage through Expedia) so no problems there. FYI, there were a lot of extra guests (mainly Jamaicans) at the weekend (Mothers day) which obviously made pools/restaurants much busier. They all left on the Sunday afternoon. I was there with my Jamaican boyfriend (I'm white, british) and was slightly concerned about attitudes of mixed couples but I needn't have worried. There were actually a number of mixed couples which was good to see.

PROS
Really friendly staff! from remembering how I like my coffee in the morning to getting me fresh coconuts from the gardens for my drinks, service was really good. I did tip along the way but think I would have had good service regardless. 500JA$ goes a long way
Beautifully maintained gardens, pools and beaches. There are 4 beaches and 2 pools. You have your pick of sunbeds
Main restaurant food was lovely. Jamaican food served along with 'tourist' food so caters for all tastes.
You can book the 2 a la carte restaurants as often as you like. We much preferred the Thai one (Jasmine Delta) over the seafood one (Nyamings). Jasmine delta is also a snack bar for lunch and midnight snacks from 11pm - 1am. Makes a nice change from the buffet
The room (number 70, garden cottage) was large and very clean. I agree with other reviewers, the decor is a little tired now but still kept very clean. We got fresh flowers on the dresser a couple of times which was a nice touch. The bed was large and very comfortable. The walk in closet was good. Bathroom had a shower over bath, plenty of hot water, good pressure etc. No complaints about the room

CONS
wifi was $5US for 1 hour (which you could use over a number of days - just turn off wifi when not using) and you could only get service in the lobby. In my opinion, all hotels now days should provide free wifi, everywhere on the resort. It was a pain to have to sit in the lobby once a day to check mails etc. This could be an easy/cheap thing to remedy and would increase customer satisfaction
Late check out is steep @ $25pp. I only wanted 1 hour (1pm instead of 12pm) but they still wanted $50. I didn't bother as this was too much in my opinion. An hours grace or $10-$15 would have been acceptable

Many more Pros than Cons and I will defo return to this hotel. There were lots of returning guests there which says it all really. You get what you pay for but this resort exceeded my expectations of a 3 star hotel at a fraction of the price of the 5 star Jewels resort down the road. Happy to answer any questions

Room Tip: garden cottages are lovely. Onean view ones not worth the extra costs as the gardens are so lovely
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MrsFussyBristol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (918)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Wareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

we stayed at the royal decameron between 24th feb and 6th march 2014 for my 30th birthday.
We were in cottae 9 on the beach front amazin to watch the set and sun rise.
ARRIVAL- not to bad was quite quick and a nice refreshin welcome drink to start you off
ROOM - yeah as most people say there dated but your only there to sleep!!! Pauline our cleaner was a lovely woman and looked after us really well --- THANK YOU AUNTIE P!!
STAFF- Friendly would do anythin for you if your a newbie the staff do hassel you abit tryin to sell you stuff but after a few days that died down and we could relax in piece they thouht my husband was a movie star lo.
BEACH- What can i say STUNNIN and always a sun bed but you do et some people early with there towels also the staff keep it clean and tidy all day.
FOOD- Varied if you dont mind havin chicken or steak for breakfast you'll be fine lol plenty off fruit etc lunch and evenin always somethin for everyone we loved the thai restaurant that was also a snack bar at lunch and 11pm for pizza and hot dos etc.
ENTERTAINMENT- Rubbish!!! thats all i can say
DOWNSIDE
town not safe as we were told it was fine to o to the cash point but who wants a crowed of locals around you when ettin money out? and constant buy this buy that I can et you this and that only went out there once and not aain.

Also when we went everythin was catered for the french as they have some deal on for them a bit annoyin if u dont speak french

Apart from that amazin holiday but we both said once is enouh and will try somewhere different next time

Room Tip: beach front!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank louisethy
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Before I write my review, can I just say not to listen to all those bad reviews, they dont do this place justice and to be frank they are written by people who want absolutely everything from a budget holiday. Anyway this was our first visit and as soon as you arrive in reception and are welcomed in with a cool cocktail, lead down the beautiful gardens to your rooms and your first sight of the beach, you know this is a great place. Sure some of the accomadation is looking a bit worn but you get what you pay for. Lets not forget that its only 3 star rated. For us everything worked, the rooms were kept clean daily, the staff in general worked realy hard and were all true ambassadors for the Jamaican people. There were so many great members of staff that I cant list them all by name but Mandela in the resturant, Nathan the gardener and Peter are a few which really do deserve a mention.The food was varied and there was plenty of it, bar staff served like worker ants, the gardeners were always busy making everything look great and if you needed something extra they all done every they could to make it happen. Overall we found this place fantastic and would go back tomorrow if we could. We are now planning our next visit next year same time. No Problem!
Herts, UK

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank rich360i
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

As soon as we arrived at The Royal Decameron We was welcomed with very smiley happy people and a welcome drink or two. we was a party of four in sea front cottages - i would deffo recommend paying that little extra to get these cottages..they are right on the beach it was lovely to wake up to on the morning.
The Beaches were kept clean, every morning we would see someone cleaning the beaches
Pool area was very nice - pool cleaned every day
Staff at the hotel Where all lovely nothing was too much trouble for them, what really made our holiday was the Entertainment team during the day, they would encourage you to join in and have you on the stage..if that isnt your cup of tea there is an adults only pool but we found this to be far too quiet.
The food was varied Each day We were always spoilt for choice on what to have.
The entertainment stopped at half ten in the evening but there was a club within the hotel to go to until 2am
I have read other reviews about this hotel with staff being rude ect We as a family never had any of this..we didnt even feel forced to tip to get a better service, some of the staff went out of their way to talk to us everyday asking if every thing was alright and just general chat, a smile and a yeah mon goes along way here...Whilst out there we noticed the french were very rude to some of the staff and to the tourists... we had it happen to us once but that was the only downfall of the holiday, the contract with the french has now ran out i believe (yippee)
Not long after we got back we have booked to come back..We are all well traveled and this hotel has been the best one we have stayed at and are looking forward to coming back

Room Tip: sea view cottages are the best
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Green_eyez357
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

What a wonderful holiday. Was worried by other trip advisor reviews but our holiday was fantastic. We had garden cottage no 51. It has a sitting room, double bedroom with walk in closet, bathroom with bath and shower and 2 single beds on a mezzanine level over the living room. We had no problems whatsoever. The staff are all lovely, friendly and very helpful. The food was good and plentiful. The only thing I can think of is there are no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms. We had a fridge for my insulin but I don't think others had them. I will go back when finances allow.

• Stayed April 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is truly the best holiday I've every been on and I am definately going again next year. The atmosphere at the hotel is what makes it, nothing is too much trouble for the staff whether it's making you their special cocktails or the gardeners getting fresh coconuts every morning for you (best hangover cure ever). You can laze around on the beautifully kept beaches or find somewhere private to hide in the immaculatly kept gardens. Too all thoses saying you need to tip to get decent service Rubbish!! you just have to treat the staff like human beings and be prepared to use your manners as you will actually be astonished how far the words, good morning please and thank you will get you.
We made loads of friends inside and outside the hotel big up to Gary the barman, Tyrese and Jason the security guards and Bobby the gardener.
I would also like to urge you to take the time to take a walk out of the hotel and explore the area, the locals are as friendly and accommodating as the staff and there some areas of real beauty that you will never get to see unless you explore

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Lollyhorse
Lagrange, Maine
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We read many reviews before going to this resort and was hoping for the best. The people are amazing! Peter Palmer and Adrian Treasure were AWESOME! They went out of their way to make us happy! The unfortunate thing about this resort was the unsatisfactory conditions of the hotel. We thought we had booked a cottage and ended up in the courtyard. It was not good! When we asked to be moved to a cottage, we were told that we could go to their other resort. We read about this in the reviews before we left and knew that wasn't a good idea so stayed and tried to make the best of it. We will not return to this resort and would not recommend it to anyone else. We've been to many all inclusive resorts and there are so many out there that are much better than this. Please know that we have nothing negative to say about the people who worked at the resort aside from a few people at the front desk. The people who worked at this resort were amazing!

Room Tip: Don't get stuck in the courtyard
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#24 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!