“Just as good as the first time :)”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
east london
“Just as good as the first time :)”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Myself my husband my sister & her husband visited between 22nd May & 5th June as great as it was the first time in September 2011. From the minute you arrive you feel the vibe as much as the heat " smile for me Jamacia " lovely people great music everywhere. We stayed at the beautiful Royal Decameron club caribean hotel on Runaway Bay in one of the stunning cottages ( 045 ) beautiful gardens with hammocks to laze in around the cottages which are a mere stride to the georgous beach front, always plenty of sun loungers to choose from in any of the coves along this stretch of beach. The jetty bar with the swings is a great place to chill out & meet with the other guest ( thanks to the Scottish couple who gave me the repel 100 and stopped me getting any more mosquito bites ). And the bartender who made the bob Marley cocktails :) and some others which I can't remember the names of ( they were that good ) the staff at this hotel are exceptional from the lifeguards, bar staff, restaurant staff, gardeners. The entertainment crew are great Freestyle, Stringbean & Birdman, who not only entertained us in the evening but also joined us on the beach, Boom Boom, vanilla, princess all work really hard to get everyone to join in with the fun. We had a great night out at the British bulldog Kareoke night ( coward of the county hilarious ) and jamdung Kareoke night the best Kareoke ever :) thanks to Dawn & Geovanni for taking us to the street party best night ever :) we visited the blue hole near Ochi rios, in the middle of a beautiful forest a lovely oasis of crystal blue water, waterfalls to climb and jump off for the brave ( John you did it ) just smimming in it was so refreshing, what a stunning setting. If you love to party and have a good time this is the place to go. Thanks to Cathy & John who we went on holiday with and all the other people we met there made some great memories of Jamaica 2014.

• Stayed May 2014
10 Thank EastLondonDawn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Firstly would I return Yes, however I would not return whilst the French animation team are there, I found them to be rude, ignorant and totally over the top. We have stayed in Jamaica lots of times at different hotels And i have to say this is the prettiest resort. We stayed in the courtyard which I have to say could do with closing down and a complete refurb I would not recommend the courtyard to anyone. The bar staff, waiters and waitresses couldn't do enough for you lovely staff got to mention, Tevin, David white in the dinning room and Tanisha at the jetty bar for outstanding service and they really looked after us.the foods was great no problems plenty of variety it was a bit weird if you wanted a snack during the day or after 9.30pm you had to walk to the end of the resort to the Asian restaurant would be good idea to have it in the main restaurant area not a big deal though.. My favorite part of the resort was the jetty bar reggae music all day comfy seating and a view to die for. The night club wasn't great had to beg them to play reggae music the DJ was french he didn't know who beres Hammond was !! Got to mention Freestyle,birdman and Scooby the Jamaican entertainment crew always made a point of making sure we were OK big respect guys
,their shows were very good, wasn't too keen on the Decameron dancers was good a couple of times but then became same dance different costume could do with more local outside entertainment ' the grounds are maintained to a very high standard and the life guards keep the beaches looking great .there are a few shops and a bar across the road we visited lots we felt very safe on the street no problems flavors beach is about a 20 min walk away turn right at main road and keep walking great local vibe, and sharkies sea food is left on the main road very short walk the fish is amazing cooked fresh while you wait, don't be afraid of getting out and about Jamaica is beautiful . We are planning to go back and this time I intend to book one of the amazing cottages. One of the most relaxing chilled out holidays ever this is down to the Jamaican staff for really looking after us. I have marked the room average as we had a courtyard room which wasn't great this does not reflect the rooms or cottages on the rest of the resort

Room Tip: We did not like the courtyard at all, try to book a cottage.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank jamgal
Stoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We booked the Royal Decameron for our Wedding for 3 weeks from May 11th 2014 - 1st June. I was not sure what to expect as I had never been to the Caribbean before, i can safely say i will be heading back there. The hotel was beautiful, the surroundings and the cottages were smart, well maintained and all amenities within easy reach. Huge huge respect and thanks to Davion (Wedding coordinator) who made our special day just that little bit more speical. He sat me and my partner down and went through every minute detail and the results were breath taking, if you are thinking of an overseas marridge a huge thumbs up. there are 3 restuarants on site, the Jasmine delta, Pick a pepper and the fish bar. only down side for the jasmine delta and fish bar is, they could think of changing the menu from day to day, otherwise good food, great views. The ENT crew, friendly, funny, polite and most of all know how to get the most out of people to engage in the activities. Birdman, Freestyle, Vanilla, Boom Boom, Empress a huge shout out to you guys. The trips offered by the hotel are varied and expansive, would recommend Dunns River Falls, Mystic Mountain and Bob Marley 9 miles. Overall a cracking hotel in a good location. Staff friendly, chatty and the weather well say no more. Definatly 5 out of 5, 10/10, 100% which ever way you look at it.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms in the area near the quiet pool or far side away from the buffet restuarant
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Michael T
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the Royal Decameron from the 12th May - 27th May 2014.
And I have got to say it was the best holiday by far, the resort is better than expected with food and staff to match!

On first arrival the Royal Decameron doesn’t give you too much of the 'wow' factor, but once in it is a lovely, personal, romantic place that you will never want to leave. Much better than the concrete jungles down the road!!

We had the garden cottage no 34, excellent location to the Jetty bar, beach, private pool, and both restaurants. Not noisy at all...it was perfect.
Yes the bathroom could do with a little updating but I wasn’t expecting anything more. Air con worked great, and the bed was huuuge!!
The cleaning staff were fantastic, in every day and even folded our clothes (oops!).
We got 3, 3 course meals every day and they do not disappoint. The main restaurant/bar is always a buffet with a different selection on every day. You also have the option to use the second restaurant for jerk chicken, pizzas, and burgers at lunch. This restaurant then turns into a Thai in the evening (you must book this at reception). The fish restaurant we didn’t try, but this is upstairs of the main restaurant.
On my birthday the Thai decorated the table with flowers, and the Royal Decameron gave me a bottle of bubbly to top it all off :).
The bar serves everything you could possibly want...beer is weak but the spirits are good!
The staff I cannot fault here at the Royal Decameron, they were so polite, fun and not pushy. I cannot get over how amazing the Jamaican people are.
We did tip some of the staff that made our stay more enjoyable.

The Royal Decamerons location is perfect, about just over an hour away from Montego bay airport, 30 mins from the main attractions such as Dunns river waterfalls and Mystic mountain.

One moan I do have (but it’s not with the Royal Decameron) If flying with Thompson/First choice please make sure your rep gives you FULL details of the excersions. We booked the 'Southern adventure with a tipple' trip and it was basically miss sold to us via the First choice rep. The whole coach was miss-lead on this trip and complaints have been made. Because of this we then cancelled our Kingston trip with First choice - the rep admitted that nothing was included and it was basically a 'drive through' tour on a coach.
We found that going with independent companies either in the Royal Decameron or via Trevor the Taxi driver outside is a much better, more interactive and cheaper way of seeing Jamaica!

Going outside the resort it fine, the Royal Decamon is located behind a row of shops off the main road, it’s very hidden.
The shops are a variety of gift shops, supermarkets and a bank. All of these I feel you are safe to walk to on your own. You will get approached by shop owners and passersby just saying hello, if you are polite you get no bother and they do not hassle you.
We went out several nights with some of the staff from the Royal Decameron to the British Bulldog bar across the road, and it was by far one of the best nights we had. Do not be afraid to mingle with the locals!

All in all we had the most amazing time in Jamaica and the Royal Decameron helped make our holiday perfect...we will defiantly be returning...!! :)

Room Tip: No 34 garden cottage
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Katie H
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Its the first hotel ive been to where ive felt unwanted as if my being there was a pain. Its as if you have to beg to be assisted. Front desk service was so poor. Rooms needed better ventilation and to be more inviting.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank slimHotelcritic
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Expression “you’ve got what you paid for” was never more true, that here.
Impolite and downright rude stuff, poor choice of food with a quality leaving much to be desire. Dated rooms and overall impression that the place is falling apart and best days are long gone.
I don’t have high expectations when travelling and I’m kind of 3 star person myself, but even with my average expectation.
I will stay away from this resort in the future.
But than again - is there any future left for this resort?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank Jack B
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

What an amazing holiday my family and I had when we stayed in one of the garden cottages for two weeks. We didn't want to come home. Everything was excellent: food, entertainment, staff. What wonderful people the Jamaicans are. Can't fault this hotel. Very clean. Would love to go back: maybe one day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#25 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!