“great place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Warren, MI
“great place to stay”
Reviewed 15 September 2004

My husband, 11yr old son, and myself stayed here for a week in October 2004. What a wonderful place to stay. As soon as we arrivied our room was ready, in fact they upgraded us to a 2 bedroom ocean cababa (room 007) it was the best unlike other reviews in here our air conditioners were fine they both worked the whole 7 days we were here, there was also plenty of hot water and we had 3 people showering everyday and we were also never short on towels. We were treated very respectfully, the staff was great, bar services a little slow, but you are in jamaica everything slows down (except the cab drivers) they did there best to accomadate all our needs, We also felt very safe at all times in side the resort or when we went into town. The food was good with plenty to choose from. We did all the watersports they have available all you had to do was sign up for it in the morning. I would recommend going out and see the island do some exersion the hotel offers some of them are pricy but well worth it. The waterfalls are a must see and we also swam with the dolphins a truly amazing experience. We also took a cab into the fern gully on ochos rios that was very cool and the taxi drivers are full of information about the island. I would recommend the royal decameron to anyone who wants a great vacation. This is a hotel where you get what you paid for in fact we are returning in December 2004. This was our 3rd time to jamaica 1st time at royal decameron and we will now stay no where else.

4 Thank kelly s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 12 September 2004

the royal decameron was lovely. the beaches are beautiful the food was so nice and the staff are very friendly. there isnt really anything about our holiday that you could fault because everything was perfect.excertions were great but your better of booking trips with your rep so you know what your getting. dont let porters take your bags unless your willing to pay for them to take them just 50 yards. they cater well for children and have a good kids club. you must check out the swing bar as it the most relaxing and nice place.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 September 2004

last august we stayed for the fifth time at the resort and every year it is getting better and better.
We travelled a lot but we never met a staff so caring and helpfull.

Take it from us: CLUB CARIBBEAN IS THE BEST!!!!!!!

Reviewed 6 September 2004

As so many others seem to have done, we suffered the "cottage not available" scenario
on our first night. This was sorted the following day and did not spoil the overall experience.
Would recommend the Royal Decameron to anyone.
Food, music, facilities, entertainment, staff, entertainment crew all 100%.
Big shout going out to the main man Duane, Daniel and Eddie aka Shaka Zulu.
Thanks for a great holiday from the Luton posse.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2004

my family and i stayed at the royal decameron for 2 wks in august 04 and was extremely happy with our choice the staff were very excellent the food was 100% the beach everything was good we were sad to leave and most of the other guest who were leaving felt the same way. we will choose royal decameron again and will be telling all our friends

9 Thank elained252016
Chicago
Reviewed 28 August 2004

Well after reading all the reviews I expected the worst on our visit 8/14-8/21. We (3 kids) pulled into the hotel at 3:30 and yes the room wasn't ready and I was already impatient...We sat back had a drink or two and yes it all worked out. I kept saying to myself don't be an ugly American. The longer we stayed the more we enjoyed the resort and the country. Obviously the Decameron was not the Ritz but we did not want to spend that much. The high points were the Asian restraunt, the snorkeling, the swing bar (Georgie the bartended is a blast), the great sunsets and the cabanas. The low points were the watersports personnel, the tiresome breakfasts and the beach (this could have been better). We hooked up with Jimmy who is one of the van drivers who hangs around in the parking lot and he was great in getting us to where we wanted to go. We always found the excursion schedules and prices to be problematic. I suggest that you talk to the bellboys or Jimmy before you book trips as they will hook you up and save you some $$.

In all we had a great time and found Decameron to be a pleasant surprise.

2 Thank srg123
Reviewed 27 August 2004

I had read the reviews prior to leaving and some of them made me a bit nervous. I booked the trip for a 5 day getaway from the kids. We stayed 8/20 - 8/24. I knew by the price that it was not the Grand Floridian of Jamacia so we did not expect it. I was looking for a place that we could hang on the beach, do a few activities, drink and eat.

The experience that we had at the front desk was the same that everyone else has seemed to have. Our cottege was not available so we were upgraded to a suite. At first I was angry because this is exactly what others had said to expect. But the suites are not bad. They are spacious and private with a nice balcony (that you do not get with a cottege) and the AC worked great...and boy did you need it!!! We could have moved to a cottege on the second day but we declined and stayed put. I will tell you to stay clear of the single motel type rooms. They looked rough and I heard nothing good to say about them from those who stayed there.

The front desk staff needs a little help on customer service, however everyone else is really nice...everyone!!!

The food was better than I have had at other, more expensive all inclusives (we have stayed in 5 others) and the drinks were plentiful and good as well. We ate sit down meals for dinner in both restaurants and they were also extremely good.

Yes, the water sports are limited and you need to sign up the first thing in the AM (@7:30AM), but it is what it is....deal with it or pay anothe $300 pp and stay at Breezes or Couples.

The bottom line is that we would go back if we were looking for another quick getaway and did not care if there were mints on my pillow or a doorman to open the front door. Would I go there for my honeymoon or other special occasions...probably not. Would I go back to chill out....absolutely.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#24 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!