We stayed here mid-August, 2005. The best way to describe this hotel is "Howard Johnson's." We left saying - "we got what we paid for" and "if they had only done one or two things wrong, we would go back."
If you could somehow guarantee a beach front cottage, are content doing nothing and can deal with somewhat edible food (and have patience) you will love it.
The cottages in the garden are quaint but the beach cottages are unbelievable - they are literally about 8 feet from the ocean. Needless to say we couldn't get one (and we told them it was our honeymoon!). Above all, the cottages are cute and pretty clean and the air conditioning does the job most of the time. The first night they put us in one of the suites (claiming it was an upgrade) it was absolutely disgusting. There are about 3 buildings with rooms in addition to the cottages. They all looked gross. Make sure you get a cottage!
The food in the main restaurant is blech but edible. There were some nights where we were still hungry because we really couldn't find anything we liked or that tasted good enough to eat for a meal sized portion. The beachfront restaurant that serves snacks all day is also gross - I think the hotdog I got was about 5 years old. Breakfast on the other hand was awesome. Also if you went to one of the two restaurants (you need reservations for them) the food was awesome.
The beach was beautiful - plenty of places to relax. There is a very large dock with a really cool bar with swings as seating and comfy beach chairs to relax. The main pool has lots of entertainment and is great if you have kids, if you don't then stay away and go to the adults-only pool which is very peaceful.
They seemed to have plenty of activities but only for about 10 people. i.e. the glassbottom boat runs only twice a day and can only fit about 20 people (compare there are about 500 or so staying there - no way are you getting on that boat) - you must stand in line at 8am to possibly get a seat on the boat (we didn't). There seemed to be more than enough paddleboats. We were told if you got out there at 8 am you could waterski.
They are very very nice at the salon - so if you want braids, it is worth the money.
They are nice but they don't go overboard for you. They are very very slow. By day 3, your patience wears thin - you have to remind yourself where you are.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Runaway Bay about an hour from Montego Bay International Airport, the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean is located in one of the most beautiful and picturesque place of the island, populated by friendly and happy people. This hotel's architecture offers incredible paths through the gardens and terraces until you reach the 2 swimming pools, one exclusively for adults and another with all the facilities for children. This hotel also has a long dock for sunbathing. The cottage-style rooms bring a tropical environment and let you enjoy the peace of the beach where you can partake in a large variety of water sports. Its restaurants offer many different types of cuisine which range from typical Jamaican flavors to the exquisite tastes of Asian food. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Agoda, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Royal Decameron Club Caribbean reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Decameron Hotel Caribbean
- Royal Decameron Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Caribbean
- Royal De Cameron
- Club Caribbean Jamaica
- Decameron Jamaica Royal
- Caribbean Club Decameron Royal
- Club Decameron Jamaica Royal
- Royal Decameron Club Caribbean Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Club Jamaica