“Don Pablo Collection well worth it !”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Don Pablo Collection well worth it !”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was my 2nd time with my cousin from Montreal. We visited for 10 days again this year. We returned for the bay of course and the excellent service given to us by the executive assistant-.manager of the Don Pablo Collection, Loraine. She was wonderful and we knew we could always count on her. She would actually say "I am there for you !" and she was. We were there from May 26 to June 5, 2014.
We loved the calmness of the water in the bay, the service and the delicious food at the different restaurants. We had our breakfast at the Picasso managed by Scotisha with our lovely hostess Yaneish and our friendly waiters Damion and Alwayne. We ate our lunch at the Palmyres managed by Delroy or at the Jerk chicken Buffet on the beach. Every night we ate at one of the "A la carte" restaurants. Hughroy and Jermaine were two of our attentive waiters at the Don Pablo restaurant where we had French onion soup, Crevettes Croustillantes followed by a Chateaubriand steak or one of the other main dish delicacies and a delicious desert. We enjoyed the red Cabernet Sauvignon served with our meal.
Our room was impeccable. We will return again. Gigi and Louise

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank demain2014
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Gigi and Louise,

We are satisfied to know that you did enjoyed your stay here with us and that you appreciate the level of professionalism that Loraine, Scotisha, Damion, Alwayne, Yaneish, Delroy, Hughroy & Jermaine has shown you during your vacation.

Thank you for choosing the Grand Bahia Principe the best family resort in the caribbean and we do hope to see you again in the near future.

Yours Respectfully,

Cassandra Gentles
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Bahia in the Don Pablo section from May 26th- June 1st. We had such an amazing time! As soon as we arrived we got a private check in with champagne in the Don Pablo lounge, which really started things off on the right foot after flying :) The great service continued from there! Our butler had our room decorated with balloons, rose petals, honeymoon t shirts, and even drew an awesome bubble bath for us as well as a bottle of champagne! It was a really nice touch.

I really liked our room, we had room 24705, our view was of the ocean and the garden rather than the pool but I loved it! That room is on a corner too so it felt very secluded and quiet... loved that it had tile floors instead of carpet!

The pool was AMAZING... perfect temperature, the waitresses came around regularly for drinks, clean water, so relaxing! We never had trouble getting a cabana, we did put our towels down around 8-830, grabbed a quick bite at the buffet for breakfast max a half hour, and there were usually still a few open ones when we got back. I am someone who definitely needs shade so I was really glad this wasn’t an issue. We spent more time at the pool than the beach but we did snorkel and loved seeing all of the tropical fish, urchins, and even a barracuda! Loved walking down to the beach each night to watch the sunset with a cocktail too, so relaxing!

Food here is awesome, and there is plenty of it! We really liked the Don Pablo restaurant, everything was delicious there! Also enjoyed the Palmyra buffet and the Dolce Vita restaurant... the banana chips from the mini bar are to die for!! And dont miss the jerk chicken down by the beach! YUM. We ate there three times for lunch, it was so good!

We also really liked the Don Pablo lounge! It was awesome to go sit in the AC, use the wi fi on our phones for a little bit, and have some champagne and snacks!

All of the staff here is really so awesome, everyone is friendly and outgoing and always making sure you are having a good time and everything is good...they really all go above and beyond to make the experience great they are such nice people :) I would definitely come back to Grand Bahia, and Don Pablo is a must!

7 Thank Allison122
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel.

We're glad you have enjoyed your honeymoon in Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection.

Davinia Portillo
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection.
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at the Luxury Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay which was an all inclusive resort (air, room, food & premium alcohol included). Our section of the resort was all adult & a 5 star resort. If you step down a level you don't get premium alcohol, you eat at the buffet more often than formal dining (which is not bad at all, you have to make reservations for dinner so buffet allows for more flexibility-we liked the formal dining), the cabanas & chairs are not quite as nice but still comfortable & you are in the section that allows children...which is fine if you bring your own. We also had a private butler and 24 hr room service. One night we came back to our room with a hot bath ready for us with balloons in the tub since we mentioned the trip was tied to my birthday and he left two pints of rum, two things of coffee and two t-shirts on the bed for us. I did a TON of research before booking. We loved it. Every day we enjoyed the pool and beach. The only reason I would not go back there specifically is because we like to explore new places but would absolutely recommend it. There's just so many places in the world to see!

The bad: I was eaten by mosquitos & Jamaica does have malaria and dengue fever risk but supposedly malaria is on the other side in Kingston not where we were. They had lots of stray cats which didn't bother me until I saw them humping right next to a guys leg while he was eating dinner. Nooooo!!!!! The evening shows weren't the best & the entertainment area had a sewage smell about it. Our rooms bathroom also had a sewage backup smell for an afternoon but went away quickly. The disco was little with only two stalls that seemed to always be dirty or clogged. Although they had 20 some shops, they mostly had the same t-shirts & carvings. I really wanted to buy a pair of sexy shoes while I was there but all they had were flip flops & water shoes. The pool closed down from 7pm to 8am, which wasn't a big deal for us but would have been nice to have the option, especially in the early morning when no one is up but the sun. It was bright by 5am but dark by 7pm.

The good: the people were amazing and absolutely wonderful. The food!!! MMmmm. Okay well, the desserts weren't the best but everything else was amazing and there was always plenty to choose from, whether at the buffet, the ala carte or the formal dining. We loved our room (although we did have to move because they started us in a room with a double bed & it seemed everyone we talked to had the same problem even though we had requested a king in advance). I felt like everywhere was clean for the most part but gave lower review for the main entertainment and disco area. The adult pool was fabulous and the beach was beautiful and sandy. The water was not as clear water as where we stayed in Mexico a few years back along the Riviera Maya but beautiful and not too crowded. The drinks were exactly how you asked for them...if you wanted more booze they filled it up, but if you preferred it watered down they catered to you & remembered what you liked and how you wanted it. They provided three bottles of booze for the room, 1 vodka, 1 rum & 1 whiskey. Since we never spent any time in the room, we just packed them home but if you drink them they will give you three more as soon as you ask. Even though we had dinner reservations it wasn't a problem moving them by showing up at the restaurants early. The nice restaurants included Japanese, Italian, Spanish (not Mexican), French and a more formal Garden Grill but they had several other buffets and places to eat at all hours. I do remember thinking it might be hard to be vegan there as most of their meals & buffet items included meats....not a big salad selection but plenty of veggies. I loved their red cabbage & the collard greens & okra (something I would never have at home) were fabulous. They offered tons of excursions. We took a catamaran and snorkeled then hiked up Dunn's River Falls which you actually hike in the water up the falls themselves then they feed you jerk chicken rum & beer on the party boat all they way home. They had tons of other things like swimming with the dolphins, horseback riding on the beach where you actually swim with them in the ocean, you can do the Bob Marley tour and see his home & grave site. They also took US cash everywhere so we never had to exchange our currency. Their primary language is English but Hubby had fun learning Patois. Also, it was one of the most affordable places with good reviews for the 5 star amenities. We spent most of our time at the pool where we never had trouble finding a cabana. We made friends with people from around the world, MANY Canadians, mostly from Toronto because they have a 4 hr direct flight. Germans, Norwegians, a couple from Nova Scotia, and many from various parts of the US too. Oh and the weather was perfect! It rained the first day while we were at dinner & I think we saw a sprinkle here & there but it was sunny & in the 80's every day.

Although marijuana is not legal in the mainstream it is available everywhere. Not sure where to put that...good or bad depending on your taste LOL. It didn't bother me as I wasn't looking for that but others enjoyed it. I "almost" didn't book Jamaica because I heard about all the drugs & wasn't looking for that but I'm so glad I did as it was never a concern. It was a much needed break. I wasn't looking for a touring vacation that leaves you exhausted - the respite was perfect.

My only other all inclusive experience was at the Barcelo Maya in the Rivera Maya (Mexico outside of Playa Del Carmen) which had better entertainment (huge stage & fabulous shows nightly & a large two story disco) but not as nice of rooms (although we weren't staying in the premium section). If we went there again we would pay for the premium room! Our room smelled so horribly of mold I could barely stand to be in it and that was after the upgrade from the worse smelling one! I personally liked the excursion options better there as there are at least three ancient Mayan ruins you can go explore including Chichen Itza which is one of the seven wonders of the world. Much more exciting to me than hiking a waterfall since we have so many amazing falls here in Oregon.

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank Mari_JDA
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Your feedback is very important, allowing us to better understand the needs and demands of our guests.

We hope to welcome you soon.

Regards

New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Came to the Bahia Principe as part of a wedding group & had an amazing experience! Excellent meals @ all the a la carte resturants - and excellent service by our favorite waiter Shane @ the Palmyra buffet. Beach was great, did some snorkeling there & had some fun times with the pool activities. Overall a great experience & would not hesitate to come back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sandy M
Dear Sandy,

On behalf of all Team Members at Luxury Runaway Bay Bahia Principe Don Pablo Collection , we thank you for your valuable comments and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our Resort, the most luxurious experience here in Jamaica .

Yours faithfully,

Colorado
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Where do I start...
This place is a piece of heaven. We traveled May 21 - 31 for our 25th anniversary and to celebrate me beating cancer. When we arrived we were escorted to the bus which took us to the resort. When we arrived we were greated with cool towels and refreshing cocktail. Soon our butler came to escort us to the Don Pablo section to check-in. Check-in was quick and easy.

Now to our room. We were in room 23602 it was breathtaking. They had our room decorated with t-shirts and champaign classes and balloons and streamers to celebrate our anniversary. Our view was overlooking the pool and the sea. WOW... breathtaking. Our room was decent size with everything you could want/need. My only complain was the lack of outlets. There was an alarm clock but no where to plug it into the wall without unplugging a lamp or the coffee pot across the room.

The resort is large but not so large that you can't get around. The restaurants are all enclosed and accessable without getting wet if it's raining except the Garden Grill and Itialian Restaurant. We ate at all the restaurants except the Italian and they were all delicious however, our favorites restaurants though were Picaso and Don Pablo. You will NOT have any issues finding something to eat,and the buffets are the best we have ever eaten with a huge variety. Please be sure when you are making reservations at Mikato and you want the "show" to mention you want the "show" or you will get a sit down dinner like the others.

The pool is fabulous and goes on forever. The Don Pablo has their own pool bar but not a swim up. You are served "their version of Premium" alcohol which I have to admit is much better than the other bars. You are welcome to use all the areas of the resort and can either have peace and quiet (a little music) or go to the family section and enjoy the events and activities that are going on over on the other side. I love water polo (4:00 PM everyday).

The beach is a little disapointing. It is a man made beach and the water doesn't get very deep in the swim area. A majority of the sandy area is rock except the very far end of the beach but then you sacrifice swim/sea area to swim. Don't get me wrong, I love to walk the beach and it's plenty long enough but you do have to wear some sort of footwear to get your long walks in from end to end of the resort along the beach.

Now for the employees. They are some of the hardest workers with cheerful attitudes that we have ever come across!! All the workers from the pool staff, wait staff, pool bar, hostesses, maids, etc. they are what makes this place so enjoyable and special. If you want to learn more about Jamaica just stop one of them and start asking questions. They will let you know all about Jamaica and give you a little insite into their lives. Special thanks to: Juranda - Pool, Odain - Crazy man @ Pool Bar, Odel - Pool, Daniel - Pool worker and hardest worker there is, Jaroy - wait staff in training... you will do well, keep up the great work, Alex - wait staff, Shasha - sweet hostess you are, Damion - wait staff, Shawna - wait staff, Marcia - main lobby wait staff who goes out of her way to get you "special" wine, Johovan - wait staff, Audel - pool worker & always Smiling Sharnakay - pool wait staff. These are just a few of the many and our special THANKS!!! WE DO HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL AGAIN.

So, if you are thinking of staying at this resort, DO IT... you will enjoy your stay! The beach is the only thing keeping this resort from getting a 5 star, I give it a 4 1/2 out of 5.

Have fun and we miss Jamaica already!

7 Thank haslage
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Customer,

It has been a pleasure to welcome you to Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, only adults.

We welcome your comments, very valuable to us.

We are at your complete disposal for anything you may need.

Regards
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

went last week for four days and enjoyed the resort. in summary, the room was nice (like tiles on floors instead of carpet), the food was good, the beach was nice. only bad point was we had about $100 taken from our safe as we likely didn't lock it properly and people were in our room when we locked it (or didn't) to spray room for bugs (got bit by something so they sprayed). its a shame that an otherwise great stay was marred by this. our fault for not making sure we locked safe properly, but shame on them for taking advantage (4 staff in our room when we locked safe). and they knew how to do it, took 1 $50, 2 $20's, 1 $10 out of our envelope so we didn't notice til the next day.
otherwise had to say resort was nice, very big. they said 2nd largest in Jamaica. nice long walks to beach each day (good exercise) so we didn't mind. nice nude beach section too, except for the local (4-5) who were fishing in water nearby and always wanted to walk by this section right near beach, no big deal, but a bit annoying as they did this several times a day. security usually shewed them away, but they didn't need to be in beach area at all.
if you are looking for an adult only resort, this only had a hint of it, as much mixture with families.

they were calling for rain everyday, but it never did, heard thunder but a few drops fell that's all.
water was mostly nice and clear. in nude section you definitely need water shoes. other parts were good. lots of chairs everywhere on the beach. didn't hang out at pool but it seemed nice and always lots of action there.

Room Tip: don Pablo location was good, didn't see other rooms, but our were nice, modern.
3 Thank Redtruck T
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First, we want to inform you that we sincerely regret the situation that you report us.

In this regard, we would like to acknowledge that we have very strict control of all issues reported. We are very sorry that we were not allowed the opportunity to provide you a personal follow up of this case as per the security protocols established by the chain. In addition, please kindly note that we allocate all our effort and measures at our guest’s disposal to take extra security measures and avoid such situations.

Of course, we would like to add that we are at our guest’s disposal at any time to provide them the necessary assistance to denounce situations or cases as you mention to the relevant authorities of this country.

For total peace of mind of our customers, we recommend at arrival the use of safe boxes available in all rooms to deposit their valuables. Otherwise we are still happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay here with us and we do hope to see you again in the near future.

Best wishes,

Cassandra Gentles
Luxury Runaway Bay Bahia Principe Don Pablo Collection
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Let me first say this is not a 5 star resort by any means. If you think it is, you have never stayed at a 5 star resort before. Do not get me wrong. My husband and I had a lovely time and the resort was quite nice but not worthy of a 5 star rating. I would say it was more of a 3.5 star. I would not call myself a world traveller but my husband and I have been to a few all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, Bahamas and Dominican Republic, staying in resorts ranging from 3 to 5 stars. This resort was not the worse but it certainly wasn't the best. Here are my personal observations of the resort:

Cons:

Almost all of the restaurants have no air conditioning. We were sweating while eating and really couldn't enjoy the experience because it was so hot and humid.

Not enough elevators. We were constantly waiting for an elevator and at times they weren't working.

When we checked-in they gave us a room w/ 2 full sized beds. We are a married couple. I felt as though they should have asked us our preference rather than giving us separate beds and putting us through the hassle of having to switch the following day for a king sized bed.

Once we were settled in our room we discovered our phone did not work. I brought it to guest services attention 3 times and it never got fixed. On the 3rd request, they sent a repair man up. He looked at it and said it would be replaced. It never got replaced. We travelled with another couple so having the telephone working would have made our lives a bit easier not to mention to have in case of emergency.

Room service took hours and there was an evening where we called up our butler for ice and champagnes. She never showed up.

Linens (bedspread, decorative pillows and sofa cover) were filthy. I mean, you could see the dirt on them and that was a huge turn off for a supposed "5 star" resort.

The Don Pablo collection areas were nice but they need to do a better job of secluding the areas. It wasn't all clearly defined and there were times we were sharing the pool with people that were traveling with small children. The beach area for the DP collection was tiny. Once again, we were roped off but there was a day my lounger was placed right next to a screaming baby. I have no problem with families and small children but we payed for an adults only vacation and I did not feel we got that.

There were some other small issues but didn't nothing really worth getting bent out of shape for. You don't expect these types of things from a 5 star resort. Hard to get towels, floors weren't cleaned everyday, fridge stunk, and our room smelled heavily of smoke.

Pros:

Food was pretty good. Jerk chicken hut by the beach was delicious and a must try!

Service at the restaurants were great. We made friends with a few of the waiters. They made our stay 10 times better and is one of the main reasons we had such a great time. Shane, Demar and Lovett deserve raises and should train the rest of the wait staff!

They set our dinner reservations for us and when we wanted to change one we had no issues. I know some people may not like this because they chose the time and days we were going where but for us, it made life easier. At any other resort they leave it up to you to reserve your dinners. We always have a problem w/ this set up because by the time we get settled in and decide which restaurant we want to try they are usually all booked up and left w/ either the buffet or have to eat at a restaurant we don't like multiple times. With this arrangement, we were able to dine at all of their restaurants and didn't have to rush to make a reservation as soon as we got there.

The resort grounds overall are beautiful. Lobbies were clean and the landscaping was very well maintained.

Getting change was a bit annoying but never an issue at the front desk. They only gave a small amount at a time to accommodate everyone. Compared to the Dominican Republic (where they refuse to give you change) it wasn't so bad.

It was our 6th wedding anniversary and when we got back from an excursion our butler prepared a romantic bubble bath for us with rose petals, candles and champagne. It was a very nice touch.

Booking our excursions was pretty easy. I usually dread this part because most resorts are so pushy. Here it was pretty straight forward and fast. We did the Red Locks party boat and had a terrific time and we also visited the Dunns River Falls. That was nice as well. If you want to go shopping the Taj Mahal shops were nice. It is much more secure and less annoying than the local market they bring you too. That was way too stressful an experience. If you go to the Taj Mahal shops visit Mama Marley's. The food is yummy and it is a nice bar.

We travelled with another couple and definitely had a terrific time. Jamaica is beautiful and the hospitality was great! Overall we can't complain because we booked the resort at a very inexpensive price. Just keep in mind, it is cheap for a reason. If you book knowing that, you should be fine. I would definitely recommend this place but be prepared that it is not 5 star luxury like they advertise it to be.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 23614. It seemed far from everything. We had to walk far to get to the entertainme...
3 Thank Katrina S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting your comments. We're glad you enjoyed our facilities, small surprises and restaurant service while staying at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, only adults.

We have taken appropriate actions for improvement and we have communicated with the head of department to send their comments. Thus, situations like that says we will not return repeated.

Thank you again.

Receive our most cordial greetings
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!