Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Wow! Absolutely Fantastic resort!
Stayed Dec. 29 - Jan. 2/14
Beach was great! Staff are very pleasant and always accommodating you! Orlando provided great service with beverages on the beach.

Enjoyed the eggs benedict at breakfast time. Not on display, but just ask and they willingly make. Buffet caters to making healthy choices.

A la carte restaurants are delicious as well. Must try the coconut shrimp in the restaurant that they serve you with white gloves. Thanks Markland. The shrimp were the best!

Enjoyed the jerk chicken wrap at the snack bar.

Pizza dough was fantastic and enjoyed trying a pizza with jam. Delicious.

Must complement Chef Rav (hope I got the right name). I am guessing that on New Year's day that they were understaffed perhaps and someone forgot to change from breakfast to lunch. Saw the chef and he willingly made me a salad. Thank you as I just do not eat cereal or yogurt for lunch. Much appreciated.

Our maid Michelle did a great job keeping our room clean and tidy. Ocean view was awesome! Special touch - turn down service.

Celebrated a belated Anniversary. Invited to a very special cocktail party. They put a lot of time and effort into the appetizers and women got a short massage on neck or feet. Treated to a special dessert plate in our room. Spectacular presentation and tasty. Makes your taste buds come alive.

New Years Eve! The Jamaicans sure know how to put on a show! From party hats and favours to fantastic food and presentation. Entertainment and dancing the night away.

Thanks to Erroll and Colin for trying to help us out. Very pleasant gentlemen in the concierge department.

Thanks for the memories!
Highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank scandles
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest

It was our pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a great time and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Just got in last night from a week stay at the Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa with my husband. It was our first time back to Jamaica after getting married in Negril last year. I think our expectations were set pretty high from our last stay, because we unfortunately had a different experience this time...a good one, but not an amazing one.
Let me begin with the positives. There are plenty to talk about starting with the staff. All the people from the wait staff, bartenders, to the maintenance men around the facility were super nice and friendly. This is one reason why we love Jamaica, the people are always super fun and super nice to talk to. I like to give specific praise to people that truly stood out: Errol our concierge was the sweetest man. He wanted to give us the Jamaican vibe we were searching for and went as far as to bring us special beef patties and coco bread from his town. He also recommended Scotchies, which we were fortunate enough to get to thanks to Sharmin* our bus driver to Dunn River Falls. (this trip is included thats a +) The water sport crew...Marvin and Adrain and the rest of those guys really work hard to show us all the activities and give lesson when needed. They are the friendliest guys on the beach. Orlando and Brett Lee did a great job with drinks on the beach, even if they wouldn't get their shoes wet. :) Gerneil did a great job taking pictures with Byron, although we never made it to the photoshop and wish we could view pictures on the web now for purchase. Chef Roy in Jade Samurai was top notch! Make a resi when you get there. It fills up quick. Tamique, Howard, Wayne, Rual and especially RYAN were super bartenders. Why the management left RYAN up in the piano bar beats me, because he is such personalable guy that he seems under utilized. Well, the piano bar is also under utilized, but I will get to that later. Our room was extremely clean and smelt new. It didn't have that musty Caribbean hotel smell. It was beautiful. The phone didn't work, but I will mention that later. We had a room in building 4 around the inside pool. It reminded me of a perfect spring break spot overlooking a very cool pool(that was empty all the time). The grounds were beautiful! The pools and decor were very lovely. The waterside was super fun and I am glad they kept that from through the renovation. The walk around the ocean was great! Beautiful sunsets.

Okay, so if you got this far, you are probably like this sounds like paradise, whats wrong? So here goes...Although we had a great time, like I said there are things you should know. 1st this is a newly redone resort by Jewel and they have two others close by. This is an adults only resort. So if you have been to an adults only resort, you may be able to relate to what I have to say or disregard my opinions...First, as soon as we arrive, it was obvious that this place was not super busy which could be a good thing. Although everyday felt less and less. One day we felt like the only ones there...yet we could not get a towel at the beach. The beach guys went running around for us for over a half hour and there were no towels???? Bring your own float btw because you are on a cove, but they don't provide them for you. The sunset cruise sounds good, and the guys are great, but they try so hard to get the party started and the resort hasn't provided them with a sound system for us to dance and let loose. Although the staff is super nice, you can tell they are scared of the management and I could tell why. She walks around ALL day and night watching EVERYTHING. She passed my husband and i at least once a day and never said hello once. She definitely had her people she enjoyed talking with, guess we weren't on her list. Did I mention this is all inclusive? Well not in your room. Apparently, you can have a red stripe bottle of beer on a sunset cruise, but you can't get them in your mini fridge in your room unless you pay extra?? Now we paid for all inclusive, but beer or any alcohol for that matter is not included? VERY strange coming from other hotels on the island that will literally give you the bottle off the shelf of the bar if you want. We are on vacation at an all inclusive adults only establishment for a reason...to let loose and have no worries mon, but the alcoholic beverage selection was so minimal. Every night there wasn't anyone in the club, and maybe we would recruit 4-8 people for the piano bar. Very sad nightlife. They have entertainment staff as all inclusive resorts do, except they didn't do much but walk around. They would say oh we have this going on but no one wants to do it...??? Well isn't it your job to motivate people and get them up? As cheesy as the activities are, we will do them if you make it stupid fun, people need to get a push. Oh, and about those activities, well you are supposed to get a daily newsletter under your door each night. They didn't give us one 3 out of the 6 nights. The only reason I knew it was an ivory and ebony themed nye was because I was talking to Barbie. But if you weren't at the main beach area, you weren't informed. So we really thought NYE was going to be the big deal turn around for this place. It being it's first year open, you would think they would want a great first impression...they set up ALL day we were so excited for the nights festivities and the big screen was pretty cool. We were convinced there would be fireworks with the cove right there. WE got down to the pool all decked out in our NYE best to see everyone sitting and eating. The food was the best we had all week. The desserts were great and the dinner too. The entertainment and the sound system were not so great. There were a good amount of people, many of which I had never seem which leads me to believe perhaps they bused in people for the night. No one danced until about 11:30. Everyone we talked to wanted to let loose, but the vibe wasn't there. At midnight my husband and i went to enjoy a romantic moment on the beach and watched the fireworks at the resort down the road. There were 2 different displayed in a distance. :( The big screen wasn't used for ANYTHING except a countdown watch display 10 seconds before midnight. My first time ever I was in bed by 12:15. Other friends went to bed before midnight! Restaurants were ahh. I would have liked a sit down breakfast that they claimed was open in the Platinum restaurant, but they only had the buffet which was minimal. the Platinum was good, but there is a dress code and the portions are super small. Scotchies down in Ocho was the highlight of our food experience. Okay, I think this is a mouthful and again I want to reiterate we did have fun, but we were not overly impressed and wished we had more interaction with entertainment activities and other things to do.

9  Thank Kurlisue19
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest

Not sure which hotel, you stayed at, where you saw fireworks from the beach on NYE, as no surrounding hotels had such thing happening. We did not bussed persons in the hotel for NYE as you mentoned, all guest you saw were guest of the hotel, we have a great lay out of the property, so not because you did not see them through out the day, does not mean they were not here. A great leader, is intimate with their business, and such you will see myself or GM, walking around and greeting guest and getting there feedback. Sorry if you felt overlooked on some occasion, but that was never intentional.

This is strange, after the Concierge went above and beyond for you, and during your interaction, you did not mentioned or provide feed back to him, about what you are experience, but decided to post it out their for all to see, rather than allowing us the opportunity to intervene and see what could be done. Sorry that you did not book a category that included alcohol as our website clearly states those categories, and because your expectation was not met, you decided to post.

All the best in you future travels, and hope that you will do a thorough research, and not expecting what is not paid for and clarify while there.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I just returned to Canada from Paradise Cove and what a great time we had! We stayed at the hotel from December 14-January 4. Three weeks of lots of sun and relaxation!!!

First of all the food at the resort was really impressive. They had a great variety every day and the wait staff was very efficient. We really enjoyed the Asian restaurant (The Jade Samurai). All of the bars and the specialty drinks that they made were so delicious! The rooms were very spacious, updated, and looked lovely. The bed and pillows were very comfortable, not stiff at all. The pools were clean and there was always enough chairs by the pool (and the beach as well). I loved the big beach and hearing the music playing.

The water sports staff were superb (all but 1). We paid Dennis to arrange a private and very “special” boat tour for us. That was very unforgettable and well worth the money we paid him. He also arranged for one of his taxi friends to pick us up and take us on a tour. It was a way better price than getting a tour at the resort, VERY affordable. The rest of the water sports team were so friendly and knowledgeable too.

One person I really worry about though is the bald-headed water sports man. He was always grumpy and cursing at people on the beach. Anytime I talked to him he also smelt like a lot of rum! This is not good and should be dealt with.

Other than that, we would definitely visit this resort again. It’s not too busy here (about half full) but a lot of fun. We can’t wait to return Jewel Paradise Cove!!!!

Room Tip: The top floor has the best view!
6  Thank Elaine R

Dear Elaine

Thanks for taking the time to share your review, and for bringing to our attention, your concern with the staff. The matter will be addressed. It was our pleasure to have hosted you and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We were at JPC from Dec.26/13-Jan.2/14. My husband and I were just looking for somewhere to relax, read our books and enjoy some quiet time, and we certainly did that! This resort is laid out so wonderfully that you are never far from your room, a restaurant or most importantly a bar lol. We really enjoyed the fitness circuit that goes around the resort (smart idea management). It's great because it is good for all ages. Absolutely no complaints about the food, it was inventive and delicious at every restaurant. If you can't find something to eat, I would want to know how you eat at home. We try to follow wheat free eating and except for a couple slip ups (pizza and pasta, but so worth it) we had no problem. Loved the smoothie bar at breakfast. We stayed in room 629, a junior suite with oceanview. It was perfect! The maids are awesome. We spent most of our time at the Quiet Pool. We loved hearing the waves and it was located so close to our room. We did attend the other swim up bar at Sunken Treasure and the staff were gracious enough to turn the channel from soccer to football for us. I know I will probably miss some great things about this resort, but #1 is the staff! I have never, ever had the pleasure of being around any Jewel Staff in any other resort I have been to. Kudos to the following staff: Tamique (great martinis), Rush, Vanessa (best smile at the Aquamarine Grill). I watched Vanessa for an afternoon and from the time she got there in the morning until her shift ended, which was after we left at 4pm, not once did I not see her smile! She got hit pretty hard at lunch time and did it with complete efficiency. Also Nashawn and Wayne at swim up bar. Leo at Platinum. Jethpa at Moonstone, such a nice young man. Rushene, Pearson and Oshane. My favourite lifeguard and all around funny guy Choy. And to all the chefs, sous chefs, gardeners, and wait staff, thank you so much! Special thanks to Barb for helping us out with a late checkout. So now, just waiting to go back! All the Best in 2014 JPC. Feel free to message me with any questions.

7  Thank czechmate1ca

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and it was our pleasure to have hosted you, and delighted that you had a fantastic time and thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This resort is the best kept secret in Jamaica, but not for long....
Arrived on December 23rd at 9pm. It was dark when we arrived and were given a ground floor room in building 7. We were worried about the ocean view as it was dark and could not really see out but were pleasantly surprised when morning came. The view from the room was perfect and the room was very clean and updated.
Although it has been said in many of these TA reviews, we will repeat what everyone is saying. The staff and service are the best we have ever encountered. Please forgive me if we miss anyone as there are so many.
We would like to start with the lifeguards as they truly made our vacation and are now our friends for life. Casey (the brat), Junior, Adrian, went above and beyond to do anything and everything for us. We could not wait for the day to start just to hang out on this beautiful beach with these cool cats.
Every morning they had our chairs ready and on my BF's birthday, they were done up special with flowers and sea shells. All of them wished him fantastic birthday salutations that were genuinely heart felt. He is very private about his birthday and they all respected his wishes.

The beach bar staff, Brett-Lee and Orlando did not miss a beat. Always happy and my glass never went empty. My BF does not drink alcohol so Brett-lee would offer up tasty virgin drinks.
Barbie went as far as to bring him a crazy coconut water drink that he was thrilled with.

The food here is by far the best we have ever had in a resort. The selection always included some fantastic Jamaican flare and was very tasty. The staff is amazing, Dorran, Natasha, Patrick. We have to mention the best egg man in the business, Merik. He would greet us every day and while waiting for the eggs, he would talk about local culture. We loved this.
Calvin and Gerrent at the action stations were very funny and kept our plates full.
House keeping and the landscapers were beyond fabulous. Big shout out to Uriah. (brick wall)
The rooms are kept spotless and the grounds are gorgeous.
We accidently left our safe open (not recommended anywhere on vacation) and when I walked in the room my heart dropped into my stomach. In the meantime, the maids were in the room for turn down and also the mini fridge was stocked. NOT A THING WAS TOUCHED. Not a penny missing and I thought to myself, these people are incredible and honest. Thank you.
Barbie and Choy were fantastic and they work such long hours and Barbie was genuinely sad when we were going home. She is truly a doll. Donavan and George made us laugh every day and would greet us like family.
Barbara, thank you for your management and training of these incredible people. They treated us like royalty and when we told them to treat us like family, that is exactly what they did.
Good luck and please pass along our warmest wishes until we return next Christmas.
We would appreciate if you shared this review with your staff.
J&A.

Room Tip: Bldg 7 and 8 have great ocean views. Very clean all the time.
9  Thank Catnip30

Dear Guest

Thank you, and know the secret is out. This will definitely be shared with the staff as they continue to provide the excellent service. See you soon and it was our pleasure.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This resort is stunning just so relaxing! the staff are great too our only poor remark is the main buffet really needs to have more selection and hotter food! The staff in there looked like they were stood to attention! They need to chill mon we thought their boss was hid in a corner pointing his finger as if to say I am watching you all!!!
New years eve party was fantastic all the staff worked really hard but one manager we spotted was very mean to one of the waiters and smacked his tray out of his hand that is a no no in our eyes and he needs to be told!!! The staff work so dam hard they don't need some jerk of a manager to be mean and it looked bad us seeing this!!! Whoever you are and you know who you are GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Out of 10 we give this resort 8 miss you already beautiful Jamaica can't wait to go again happy new year!

Room Tip: all the rooms are lovely~
5  Thank Chrissie M
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear Chrissie

Thank you for your review and your observation, of what you think of a manager being harash to a staff. There is a profesionnal way of doing things, and agree with you that the manager was wrong, if he did what he did, if there was a situation, it should have been dealt with differently. The staff knows what is expected of them, in carrying out their duties, and they being watched as you presumed. We know that they work very hard, and we do recoginzed our staff for that.

Thnaks again and see yo usoon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa the first week of December.
We were scheduled for the Dunns River Jewel and due to some electricity issues they offered to send us to the Paradise Cove Jewel, which we accepted. Everything was fantastic at the Jewel Paradise Cove.
This used to be the hedonism 2 or 3, which was bought by The Jewel and remodeled. The resort opened in October and appeared to have some problem early on. Be reassured that most of the issues have been corrected. Yes, they were still doing some remodeling which did not bother us at all. Everything seemed to be replaced or redecorated.
The resort was only 40 or 50% occupied at the time, I don’t know if the staff was bored or just well managed. They could not do enough to make you comfortable. From the dish washer to the head chef, they all were happy to see you and make sure that your vacation was going well.
Rooms are fantastic, all new furnishings and fixtures. The showers are also whirlpool tubs which are a little difficult to get in and out of and water gets on the floor from the shower.
Food was typical buffet food, some local foods included. It was all very good. You shouldn’t go hungry. Specialty restaurants on site all served excellent food. Service was exceptional everywhere. Drinks are plentiful and come in larger than normal cups. There is also beach and pool side service. Daily snorkeling cruise and sunset cruises are free at the resort, as well as non-motorized water equipment.
The entertainment was good every night we saw it, the stage is small enough for guest interaction. We hate the very large stages that almost require opera glasses to see the performers. The resort had a grand opening on the last night of our stay which also was a fantastic treat.
We cannot say enough about the wonderful staff, please tip them when you can.

10  Thank Jim S
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Jim

It was our pleasure and delighted that you had a great time, and that the staff delivered the exceptional service not because of boredom, but what they are accustom to doing. Hope to host you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril

Been to Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Address: Paradise Cove Drive, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa)
Region: Caribbean > Jamaica > Saint Ann Parish > Runaway Bay
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Spa Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Luxury Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Green Hotel in Runaway Bay
Price Range: £203 - £454 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Travelbag, HotelsClick, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection By Hilton Jamaica, Caribbean