Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cranbrook, Canada
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

There are 3 Jewel resorts, all situated in close proximity to one another. My husband and I stayed at the adults only Jewel Paradise Cove in Runaway Bay from Jan 20 - 31. After a long delay in our journey, we finally arrived at the JPC at 9am in the morning, feeling pretty exhausted. We were greeted by George with a big smile and presented with a cool face towel and the Jewel of the day cocktail. Check in is usually at 3pm so our room wasn't ready yet, but the front desk staff told us to go ahead and enjoy the resort and to check back in an hour with them. By 10.30am our room was ready - We stayed in 814 which was on the ground floor, had a king size bed, small balcony and a beautiful ocean view. Clearly, the rooms have all been updated and are crisp and clean. The housekeeping staff did an amazing job, our room was kept spotless and the turn down service in the evening was a nice touch. Our room was stocked daily with pop, juice and water. The food was all good - a nice variety of Jamaican and western dishes at the main restaurant. We also ate at all the other restaurants - Samurai was good, Italian was fabulous, Platinum grill excellent. My favourite was the wood burrning pizza oven at lunch time - awesome selection of pizza's to be had! The beach grill had food 24/7 - good burgers and jerk chicken for a late night snack. Drinks were all good - nice that they had French sparkling wine included. They have a separate tea/coffee hut which is open all the time so if you are an early riser like me, you can go over and get a nice espresso/coffee first thing in the morning (there is also a tea/coffee maker in your room). They also stocked the hut fridge with water and fruit, and occasionally there were platters of muffins/baked sweet breads available. The beach is a cove so if you're looking for a long beach to walk on in the morning, you won't find that here, but there is a board walk that extends around the property and lots of other activities (tennis, yoga, a gym etc) to keep you busy. The ground are immaculate, 2 different beaches and 3 different pools, all with swim up bars. Security is on patrol all the time so we always felt safe. Jamaica Tours has a desk at reception so if you plan to take a tour, they will organise everything for you. Worth checking to see what is included as there are lots of free things to do (we took an afternoon shopping trip to Ocho Rios and it was complimentary). What makes this resort so fantastic is the staff. I cannot say enough about each and every one of them! They were all friendly, genuinely going out of their way to check on you and always enquiring about your stay. I felt as though we had made a new family of friends when we left. I apologise for not remembering everyone's name as they all did an amazing job, from the servers in the restaurants to the guys working in the gardens. ALL FABULOUS, hard working people. I do want to mention Wayne and Keesha at the main bar, Brett-Lee the pool side butler, the entertainment staff - Dimplz, Barbie and Swagg. Kimiko and Adrian, our servers at the main restauarant, and Shellane, the chef at Moonstone. Thank you for taking such good care of us - you rock! Again, I apologise for not remembering everyone but it is clear to me that the staff enjoy working here and that they work well as a team to make your stay pleasurable and memorable. The only negative feedback I have is about our bathroom. It's clear that all the bathrooms have been beautifully updated/renovated aside from the fact that the original jacuzzi tub has now been converted to a tub/shower arrangement. Every time we showered, water would accumulate along the edge of the bath and pour on to the floor. Even a short/quick shower resulted in a large pool of water on the bathroom floor which we had to mop up with the beautiful white large fluffly bath towels. Seems such a shame considering the amount of laundry/towels the resort must go through if all the rooms are like this. This is an issue that management should address ASAP as I can only imagine that the long term effects of water pooling would be quite costly to the resort and this would certainly be a liability if a guest slipped and injured themselves. Having said that, I would definitely come back - we had a wonderful, relaxing holiday and this is, without a doubt, one of th ebest places we have ever stayed at. It was also priced very reasonably (we booked the hotel separately and not as a package deal) considering everything that is on offer. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: 814 ground floor if you are not able to walk 2 flights of stairs (there are no elevators)
8 Thank Expatpussycat
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for mentioning the staff that mae a difference. We also appreciate your concern re the bathroom, and this will definitely be shared with the proper personel. Thanks agai nand hope to host you again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed January 10th to January 17th 2014. From the moment we got off the bus, I knew I would be back. Collin greeted us as soon as we got off the bus and welcomed us with a cold towel and Jewel of the Day. He was so welcoming and made us feel right at home. When they brought us to our room, I was immediately satisfied. Everything was perfect. The bathroom was beautiful. The grounds of this resort are beautifully well kept. Love all three pools (which all had a swim up bar) and the beach was very beautiful. The slide was also an awesome touch. Loved the slide competitions.

There are a many employees that I would like to mention as they are what made this stay the very best it could have been. NaShawn one of the many bartenders, always made the perfect drinks and never let your glass get empty. He was my favorite bartender my entire stay at this resort. Other bartenders to mention are Sheldon, Raul, Pearson and Ryan. They were always so friendly and always made me laugh.

The Chefs. OMG is all I can say. The food is to die for! Shamroy and Albert were the best grill chefs. They always made my grilled cheese perfectly and always brought it to my table; I never had to lift my finger as they were always there. Chef Roy from the Jade Samurai was so entertaining. He gave me the most memorable meal of my life. The waiter from Moonstone - I cannot remember his name but he was amazing. Always very happy and the food was delicious and when he brought my dessert with the plate on top of his head, very nice touch.

Dimplz and Barbie, the entertainers. They did an outstanding job always making sure there were activities going on and always made sure everyone was having a fun time.

The pool boy Choy always offered to get you a towel and made sure you had everything you needed while you were by the pool.

Brett-Lee the beach butler. He always came by to offer if we needed anything from the bar and always hurried back in a timely fashion with our drinks.

The photographers. They captured the most memorable moments for us. We really appreciated it. It was awesome that the photo sessions were free and you only had to pay if you wanted to purchase any photos. Please keep doing this, as it is a nice touch.

The guys from the water sports. Thank you for everything. You always were so friendly and we never had an issue getting anything we needed. It was awesome that scuba diving, snorkeling and the glass bottom boat is free. Please keep doing this.

Maids. OMG. Thank you for the wonderful rooms every day. We loved all the swans and designs you would make out of the towels. It was beautiful. The turndown service was also a very nice touch and fresh towels twice a day. THANK YOU.

Spa ladies. You gave me the best massage of my life. Keep up the great work.

I know I just mentioned a lot about the staff, but they truly deserve a great review, as they are what made our stay so memorable. Please keep this staff. They are what make this resort so amazing.

Overall, this resort easily was the best I have ever been too. Everything was just perfect. I loved it so much that I plan to come back this April; only 3 months since my last visit I loved it that much. I recommend this resort to anyone as this is 5+++. Keep up the great work and I will be back every year! 

10 Thank Kristie M
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Kristie

Thanks for your review and delighted that you had an amazing time, and looking forward to welcoming you home in April.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

One week ago we were in paradise. This hotel, which by the way used to be the Hedonism and then became the Decameron and 4 months ago became the Jewel Paradise, is very nice and cosy.
240ish rooms which makes for plenty of elbow room on the beach and everywhere else. A couple's place, quiet and just renovated. The staff is great, kept saying they were sorry for the not so sunny days ! Food is great, tried the Japanese restaurant. The show is not for me but the Jamaican food cooked à la Japanese is very tasty. You must taste the duck salad.
Plenty of places to visit for free.

I say you should go out of the premises and meet the people, they are al'right mon !!

6 Thank Nomis128
Dear Guest

Thnaks for your review and delighted that you had a great time, and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed for a week (Jan 20-27) and were blown away by the fabulous resort and people. We have stayed in 5+ star hotels and we have stayed in 3's and in neither have we had such friendly and outgoing staff that will do everything that they can to make your stay with them the best you've had. I guess maybe it has to do with your own attitude when you go for a holiday as well. You treat them well, they treat you the same. We had excellent service. A few that stand out for us were Collin and Shaneil at the front desk (always good for a laugh), Sharicka was awesome for going above and beyond for service, Venice and Karen with their magic hands at the spa (ahhhh, the spa!), Francine at the spa also for going out of her way to find us something that we were looking for (she offered, we didn't ask), Kimanda at the gift shop was very patient with us as we browsed and asked many questions :) , Barbara, the general manager, was extremely approachable and knowledgeable. These are a few of the people that stand out for us but in no way the entire list. I don't have a bad thing to say about any of the staff. They were always friendly and approachable.

The accommodations were always very clean (I'm the first to rewash everything if it isn't!) but I never had any issues with this resort, anywhere! The resort was a great size, not too big but not too small either. The set up is great! The included activities were an extra bonus that we hadn't expected (glass bottom boat, sunset cruise, snorkelling, Dunn's River Falls, etc). We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: ground floor facing a pool for those rainy days
6 Thank Brant-Bev
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and delighted that you had a great time and enjoyed all that we had to offer. It was our pleasure to have hosted you and also thnaks for taking the time to mentioned the staff that stood out during your stay. Hoping to host you again soon.

Maple Shade, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I came to Jamaica 4 years ago for our 25th anniversary Loved where we stayed and came back 2 more years till resort was sold and changed this year we picked Jewel Paradise Cove Runaway Bay there is another Jewel right down the street so when booking make sure it is PARADISE COVE there is a difference ! All I can say is everyone was fantastic the place was AMAZING the food was out of this world and the drinks where fantastic! The entertainment was fabulous Staff was Amazing they really go out of the way to make you comfortable and for the first time there it really felt like it was a 2nd home! We are now Jamericans lol ! I will be back next year and every anniversary after if it stays like this! Only thing I would have like to see is more music at the bars and pool areas! No complaints otherwise the shower does splash water out of the tubs BUT there is a drain and knowing it did this just placed a towel on the floor and pushed excess water down the drain no big deal just felt bad for soaking the towel each time! Rooms where very nice had to wait a bit first night because room I wanted was not available the first night we got first floor building 7 but they moved us up next day to 3rd fl ( I like to sleep with the balcony door open to hear the waves from the ocean) I asked halfway through the week where ice machine was? Did not need it till then lol and front desk said what room you in and when we got to our room there was a knock on the door with someone with a bucket of ice! Anything you want they try to accomodate! I wish I could remember everyones names but special thanks to my girl Kerisha !!!! Seen her all 4 yrs in Jamaica she actualy took pics for me when we renewed our vows at other resort so HAPPY when I seen she was working here and Sheldon and Oshane and Omar and Barbie and Cherry and Swagg and the list goes on and on and on

Room Tip: Building 7 was wonderful view was nice and just loved it!~
5 Thank Lovlyldy4
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest

Delighted that your 4th time in Jamaica was the best and we at Jewel Paradise Cove was that factor. Thank you for allowing us to share and looking forward to the 5th.

Regina, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I recently returned from a week at the Jewel - Paradise Cove (Jan19-26). There is so very much I could describe about our wonderful vacation, such as the view from our room (833 - Ocean view), the proximity to "everything" at the resort, the delicious food of great availability at your choice of buffet, restaurants, snack bar or specialty dinner nights (only one restaurant required a reservation), the cleanliness (A1), etc... but it is the people working at this resort who will remain in our thoughts and have earned our appreciation. From the General Manager on we were so very impressed by the sincere concern for our enjoyment. With the focus and attention shown, I feel that this newly renovated and recently established resort will only continue to improve in areas of services and options available. (For those who feel it is necessary as written in other reviews. We were more than satisfied with what what available to us.

The one change I would like to see though, is better incorporating the new "non-smoking" law. I have asthma. The rooms were non-smoking but there were some people who would smoke in public areas. The management did attempt to address this issue. More clear designated smoking areas would be a good idea. As this is a very new law, I understand that such changes take time to incorporate. There were also some late night music issues which management did their best to improve upon as well. Thank you for that.

Once again, we would like to send out a huge thank you to all the management and staff of the Jewel - Paradise Cove.... (I will apologize now if I have missed your name or spelled it incorrectly) General Manager (Barbara Burton), Manager (Daine Golaube -- thank you for your e-mail), Front Desk and Guest Services (Errol, Shelley, Collin), Sunwing Representative (Patsy), Adventures Co-ordinators, Maid Services (Joan, Bridget, Renee -- thank you for your encouragement), Food Services (Awesome) - chefs and servers (Doran, Adrian, Charlie, Kenjoy, Kimika, Merrk -- the flaming omelette fellow), Water Sports and Adventures (the glass bottom boat ride was fun), Bar Servers and Concierge (Bret-Lee -- such energy / thank you for the friendly banter -- and Orlando) We didn't pay for the concierge service but appreciated the interaction, Security Guards (nice to see your smiles and waves), Bell Staff (3 floors of stairs with heavy luggage - oh my) bus drivers to and from the airport and the shopping trip / Dunn's Water Falls.

The staff we encountered were awesome ambassadors for Jamaica. Kind. Thoughful. Helpful. They were so in a most sincere and caring manner and made us feel that we not just clients as guests, but friends welcome in their home. Thank you all for sharing with us your hearts of gold!

~ Barbara and Darrell ~
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Room Tip: Room 833 -- We loved the centralization of our room and the ocean view (and sounds) were amazing. W...
5 Thank Barbara W
Dear Barbara

I am happy that your vacation was "hearts of gold", and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a great time. We also, cannot wait for the full law to be enforced re the non smoking and we are currently working on a solution by posting signs in the public space.

Thanks again and hope to host you again soon.

IA
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Resort was very good and the staff was excellent, very attentive. Resort is intimate size, about 225 rooms in 9 buildings but with 3 pools, two beaches and every non-motorized water sport free, plus free catamaran rides, glass bottom boat rides, nightly sunset cruises, snorkeling - it feels big. Rooms were very nice, huge closets, great beds - in-room safe, stocked frig and nightly turn down service. Resort stay includes one Dunn's river trip and one shopping trip free. We got to know the staff and several other groups of guests because we weren't just a number like at other larger resorts. Transportation to and from MBJ was even included in our stay. Some of these perks could have been a resort special due to this resort being newly run by Jewel. I got a tennis lesson, did pilates on the beach, never had a shortage of drinks or food. Good food too. Ate at all the restaurants, really liked the Japanese and brick oven pizza.
I think the only thing that could be improved is to make the piano bar and disco open earlier. During our stay they didn't open until about an hour after the show finished, so you sometimes just walked around waiting until the other night-time venues opened, or in my case - got tired and went to bed. Stayed Jan 18-24 and we had sun only two days but I had a great time!

Room Tip: Regular rooms are just fine, I didn't feel the need to spend extra to see the ocean from my balc...
11 Thank tamimia
Dear Guest

Thank you and it was our pleasure.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Property: Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Address: Paradise Cove Drive, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa)
Region: Caribbean > Jamaica > Saint Ann Parish > Runaway Bay
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Green Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Luxury Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Spa Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Runaway Bay
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £££
Hotel Class:4 star — Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelbag, Holiday Gems, LoveHolidays, Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection By Hilton Jamaica, Caribbean