Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
“AMAZING!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

The resort itself is breath taking, yet the staff here make it a true experience! Their commitment to serving and entertaining their guests is phenomenal! Nashawn and Sheldon were at the emerald lagoon pool area during the majority of our stay; book this hotel then go find them! They're two of the best employees that this wonderful place has! We'll definitely be back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynsey P
Althea G, Ambassador at Paradise Cove at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Lynsey

Thanks for taking the time to share and it was our esteem pleasure to have hosted youand delighted that you had an amazing time. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Althea Gibson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
Chesapeake
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The good...
Great rooms even the low budget ones are awesome with huge showers, beautifully done.
Great food authentic jerk, seafood off the chain, buffets are theme and mm good!.
Hot water and hot coffee...either one luke warm bothers me.
Lots of activities...exercise, fun and games...all included
FREE trip to Dunn's River and shopping...we didn't go but a nice bonus...we done both!
Air condition so cool/cold! (No locked thermo)
Huge towels...nice for a chubby girl or folks who just like to be really covered!
Price...awesome with Expedia!
FREE internet and movie channels for those days you just want to sleep in!

The bad
The bar has no Jack Daniels and limited high budget Vodka and other spirits....but ask they could have some stashed behind the bar. Also I here you could get a "liquor package" but I wouldn't..

Conclusion
A REAL Winner in a BIG way, come visit (I might just be there)! — at Jewel Paradise Cove.

Room Tip: All the rooms are a good size but lower priced ones have a large shower not a tub. All have great ba...
3 Thank MsFroggy32
Dear Guest

Thanks for sharing and it was our pleasure to have hosted and delighted that you had a great time, and we appreciate you taking the time to share re the liquor, we take comments as a positive and will use to enhance our product. Looking forward to your next visit.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Let’s start at the end and work backwards, did I like it and would I go back? Absolutely! I say this not to bore you with details unless you want them.

Resort: very nice, the grounds are well kept and beautiful, many photo opportunities, even the concierge calls you every other day and ask you how they are doing. Anything that you need, they will do their best to accommodate. Not crowded at all, never an issue getting anything that you want/need.

Airport transfer: it was included in my deal, plan on it taking an hour. Nice AC bus, comfortable, but traffic is a bit slow.

People: they don’t get any better. From the people who help you with the bags (George), the people at the front desk, bartenders, wait staff, to the people who wait on you at the beach, nothing but good to say. Be prepared to be greeted, talked to, fist bumped, taught the Jamaican handshake, and you’ll be answering Ya Man, before you know it.

The room: we were in 625, a king room, not a huge room, but plenty big enough for 2. The furniture was good, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was large. One word of warning… the tub is high and there is no handrail to climb out, someone is going to fall and get hurt I’m afraid, especially if they are older. The AC is a Panasonic split system with remote control, works great with one exception... there is no cooling in the bathroom, just an exhaust fan. Not to worry, the bathroom does not get hot except after a shower. No biggie and really can’t do it with the configuration of the AC unit. The room has a large walk-in in closet with lots of space, very nice. The balcony has a clothes drying rack, 2 chairs and a small table, perfect. The TV was OK, no HD, refrigerator, iron and board, hair drier. My only complaint, the clock was a charging station for an IPhone and you couldn’t see the time… maybe on vacation it was a good thing.

The bars: top shelf liquor, not a chance, good drinks, not really, mostly sweet and light on the booze drinks. You can however ask them to put a little booze in it and they gladly accommodate, that’s the plus to getting to know your bartender. We spent quite a bit of time at the Aquamarine pool and swim up bar plus the main Sunken Treasure bar. Nachos and cheese (sorry no peppers) plus popcorn almost 24/7 at the Aquamarine, food about 18 hours a day. Want jerk chicken at 3 am... Aquamarine is the place to be. Unfortunately their bar closes at 6 but you can always find a drink somewhere if you need one. Aquamarine serves up fantastic jerk chicken, jerk chicken or pork raps, good burgers, and hot dogs. If you want good drinks, look up Jason at Aquamarine or Sunken Treasure before 6pm… HE IS THE MAN. Ask him to make you a long island Iced Tea if you dare. Jason makes drinks that no one else makes and he makes them good. As one ol’ southern boy said “so good it makes you want to slap your mama”…LOL.

Restaurants: Aquamarine for snacks (Great), Platinum, ate their twice (Excellent), Jade Samari, unfortunate my wife felt ill and we had to miss that one but it gets high ranks from others, Court Jester pizza (Very good), Moonstone, missed that one, they close earlier. My wife and I did the romantic beach dining, if you don’t mind $150 it was well worth it, especially since we were the only ones on the beach that night for dinner.

Nightlife: The shows were good, especially the beach party and do not miss the steel drum night, I was exhausted just watching their energy. We didn’t go to piano bar or Bling, not our kind of music. What ever happened to traditional reggae? New reggae is rap + salsa …. Just not the same.

Food: the buffet was not huge like some, but enough to find something that you like and plenty of it. The selections for breakfast lunch and dinner again were limited but sufficient and the service was good.

The beach: not a huge beach and the sand is very course, some seaweed out in the water especially at the private beach. Seaweed is not an issue, but not as weed free as many. They are pretty good about raking the beach throughout the day. Don’t miss the private beach after you had too much sun, they have a back row of lounge chairs in the shade, I took a nap that I wish would have lasted all day. The water is pretty calm most times although we did have 3’ breakers one day and they red flagged the beach sports.

Pools: plenty, large, clean other than the things that blow in throughout the day and they do try and keep things clean. I did see them in the pool a few times cleaning the sides too. Each pool has at least one grotto that you can duck into to get in the shade if you want. Don't forget about the waterslide in the main pool, us larger guys went down like human cannon balls...LOL. Be very careful with wet feet around the main pool or you will slip and get hurt… that and it gets REALLY HOT on your feet.

Excursions: we went to Dunn’s River falls. I was there 30 years ago but worth going back, it’s about 45 minutes away. Be prepared to be hounded by venders on your way out, you can’t avoid it. Be sure that you have shoes with straps, no flip flops. You can buy or rent shoes at the falls if necessary. If I could make any suggestions, wear shoes that will keep small gravel out. Be sure to take some extra money with you on the excursions, there is usually someone on the bus selling ice cold Red Stripe for $4 each.

Tipping: although included and not expected, bartenders appreciate it, the glass bottom boat guys like it, Platinum deserved it, the romantic dining waiter deserved it, and if a guy brings me a drink to the beach while I’m relaxing, he earned a tip IMO. Tipping the maids was appropriate, I’m sure that they appreciated it and they did a good job every day. If you want to see real appreciation for a tip, give it to your servers in the buffet, even a $1 makes them very appreciative and I would guess that they don’t make much money.

Suggestions: no REAL complaints…. the catsup sucks…LOL…. pinkish and see through, I was missing my Heinz for sure. The tub needs a safety hand rail to get in and out. The hot tub was TOO HOT… ever try to get in a hot tub with sunburn? The hot tub got little use because of the temp. Better drinks and top shelf would be nice… you’ve got to find Jason to fix this. Maintenance… I would give them an 8.5/10. Being in building trades myself, I’m sensitive to these kinds of things. Quite a few burnt out bulbs in Platinum, not 1 or 2, probably 6, no excuse. Missing small pieces of trim in my bathroom, the access panel for the jetted tub held in by a couple of drywall screws jammed in the crack, toilet seal was loose, again, no excuse. Get used to 2 ply toilet paper that the plies are not bonded together…LOL… always a mess. The tissues were the cheapest thing I ever saw, they literally fell apart when coming out of the cardboard dispenser. I read lots of complaints about water running out of the tub … yep, poor design, nothing you can do and no big deal.

WIFI: lousy ... and in and out, but hey, you're on vacation! It works well at the Sunken Treasure bar if you REALLY need it. The internet and printer that is made available for you in the open air gameroom area is a boat anchor, an OLD XP machine that is really slow and didn't even work the first time we tried to use it. They later fixed it and it was back to its old former slow glory.... better than nothing for printing boarding passes on the way home.

Conclusion: Take the time to get to know the people at the resort, they are all great people and many have personal stories that you will appreciate. Take time to meet other travelers, lots of good people. This was a great resort and my second trip to Jamaica, and a very good one.

I’d be glad to answer any questions that you may have.

Room Tip: We had an Ocean view room #625. Great view, close to Aquamarine late night food, close to the privat...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hotrod53
Althea G, Ambassador at Paradise Cove at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest

We appreciate you taking the time to give us such a detailed review, and it was our esteem pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a great time. We will use the feedback that was mentioned as means to improve and enhnace our product and to ensure that we have the best resort in Runaway Bay. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Chicopee, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in early December 2013. We were booked at the Jewel Dunn River Resort, but got sent to Paradise Cove because of electrical and/or water damage issues. Lucky for us! This resort was amazing! The staff was super friendly and personable. They really made an effort to make sure we had fun (paddle boating, snorkeling, water slide races, dance nights, live music, candle lit dinners, private cabanas) throughout our stay. The concierges, Errol and Marvin, were not only incredible but diligent with their service. Not to mention the staff, esp. Shane, Barbie, Dimplz who made every moment feel like it was ours to enjoy.This was our first trip to Jamaica and when we consider our next vacation- we will always come back to the idea of doing this trip all over again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karissalyn
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and delighted that you had a great time, and enjoyed all that our resort had to offer. It was our pleasure and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We recently stayed 4 nights at Jewel PC. The hotel was nice and clean. The staff was outstanding and very helpful. We loved the variety of free activities that were included especially the Sunset cruise and the trip to Dunns River Falls. I definitely recommend everyone take that tour! The drinks were awesome and very potent! The food was good and they had a lot of healthier options which we loved. The hotel was pretty quiet and it was very easy to relax. We also enjoyed massages at the Spa which were wonderful. Our only complaints are the following: 1) they need to skim the pools more often. Most of the times we got in the pool, we were having to wade through debris. 2) we used the gym however they need to have more free weights. They had 5lb weights and then the next weight was 15lbs. It would have been nice to have 10 or 12 lb weights. I think we would have used the gym more if they had a better selection of free weights. 3) Our mini bar was only stocked once in the 5 days we were there. It would have been nice to have bottled water stocked daily so that we didn't have to keep going to the front desk or spa for water. Overall, we loved the hotel and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing fun vacation.

3 Thank Kirose79
Althea G, Ambassador at Paradise Cove at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to let us know of your experience, and also for letting us know of the great hotel we have. It was our pleasure to have hosted you and will definitely use your comments to improve our product and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This resort was absolutely Phenomenal! My boyfriend and I traveled down and booked last second at the Jewel Paradise Cove. They were incredibly accommodating and the woman who works in reservations, Dadrian Saunders, was a sweetheart to deal with. We loved it so much that we stayed a few extra nights!

Where to even start listing off the wonderful things about this resort. From the moment we stepped off the bus and we were greeted by beautiful weather, a stunning property and welcoming staff holding cool towels and drinks we knew this would be quite the stay. It only got better from there!

The check in was quick and simple. They were well prepared and had us in our rooms within 15 min of arrival. Colin and Candi assisted us a few times at the front desk and they were always kind and helpful.

Our bags were taken to our room and we were given a mini tour of the grounds on the way. We stayed in building 5 and we're pretty sure we lucked out with the best one. It's very close to the end of the property, away from the pools and noisy areas, but a two second walk from the smaller beach and the pool with the swim up bar and grill. We had a view of the ocean from our balcony and would enjoy quiet evenings relaxing there with a drink. The room was a good size and very clean. The bed was soft and large with a ton of pillows. There were always cold drinks in the fridge, although no beer, but it was no trouble to take a 2 min walk to go get one in the pool.

The grounds are so beautiful here! everything is well manicured and they layout makes it feel very spacious although it is a much smaller and more intimate resort. There is no shortage of things to do here! we tried the morning glass bottom boat tour, snorkeling on the reef (incredible, so we went twice!), sea kyacking, and the Dunn's river falls tour. There were other things we wanted to get to, but we just figured we will have to come back again to try them all. This resort offers so many inclusions that you would have to be here for two weeks just to try them all. The beach was beautiful, a little bit smaller but more than enough space. It's great how intimate this resort is, without 900 people on the property you really don't have to fight for a beach chair. In our whole week we never once had an issue finding a shady spot on the beach.

There are a 3 pools on the property and all of them contain a swim up bar. Our favorite quickly became the one by the ocean with the jerk chicken grill.Tarek is the main bartender at this location and he's a great fellow. Quick service and a great laugh! The grill offers a variety of things like wraps, burgers, hot dogs, fries, nachos and popcorn, but the winner is the jerk. The jerk chicken is amazing! big portions, always tender, packs a good kick so order it with a beer, but not too spicy as to make your cry.

The food here was pretty great, like I had mentioned before its a smaller location so the selections in the buffet were a little slimmer but we always found something delicious. We did the buffet for breakfast, they had fresh fruit, a different variety of eggs, cold meats and cheeses, cereal, potato, veggies and an omelet station. If you enjoy something, don't expect it to be there the next day, but it will be replaced with something delicious. They certainly keep the variety going.

If you feel the need for a pick me up after all the sun and cocktails there is a little coffee shop in the middle of the grounds. There's a super sweet fellow named Ovral who is there most days. My boyfriend loved going to stop in for a coffee and a chat with him whenever he could.

We also had the chance to eat the Jesters court pizza for lunch a few times. The beauty of this resort is having several a la cartes, but the only restaurant that needs reservations is the Jade Samurai. The pizza place is right on the ocean with a bar up top. It turns into the Italian restaurant at night. The pizza is made right there in a brick oven and it's amazingly delicious! We tested out the Platinum club as well for supper, unfortunately I fell ill and we had to leave shortly after ordering (I took in a little too much sun) but the kind waiter brought my meal up to the room! My boyfriend had the pork and I had the stuffed chicken, both were simply delicious.

On top of all the activities everyday they will give you the Jewel Times slipped under the door of your room in the evening for the next day. It lists all the sports instruction (tennis classes, yoga, power walking...) games and events at the pool, showtime, performers and events.They have a wonderful entertainment team here and they keep things moving all day! You will notice them around 10 am and they keep going until well into the night. A few that we got to know a bit were Swagg, Kimiko and Barbie, they are fantastic people and you will see them around your whole stay. Some of the special events we got to enjoy were the talent show (my boyfriend participated and did a pretty good job, somehow ended up on stage with a bunch of cheerleaders.. but that's another story), several musical acts, a beach BBQ meal with goat races, and dining under the stars on the pool deck. These people work incredibly hard putting on great shows and making sure everyone has a fantastic time. You will notice a fellow around the resort a lot taking photos of everyone, his name is Gerneil aka Paparazzi and he's a great guy. He doesn't pressure you to buy anything, just takes lovely pictures and time out of his day to chat.

I could probably ramble on about this place forever. We had such an incredible time and we can't wait to go back. This place was a slice of paradise with outstanding service and amenities. The staff truly make this place come alive, they are amazing at what they do!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 5, very quiet and close to pools and the ocean without the noise. I think all...
3 Thank Jessi W
Dear Jessi W

Thank you for allowing us to host you and delighted that you had a great time and it was our esteem pleasure to have hosted. We are so looking forward to your return.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was my first trip to Jamaica and I was extremely excited about staying at this resort. It had great reviews on here and beautiful pictures on the website. Overall, it turned out to be a pretty relaxing vacation. We did not have any true inconveniences until our last day.

Food: There were usually plenty of choices when it came to meals. The food quality is average. We ate pretty much everywhere and weren't too impressed with any particular restaurant. I think Platinum had the best food. They did make my date go back and change out of his flip flops (even though he had on a button down and pants), meanwhile skimpily clad women were allowed to dine without hesitation. The hibachi grill and sushi bar aren't that great, but if you do want reservations, you better make them asap because it seems to fill up quickly.

Beach: The seating was plentiful and there are many things that you can do. We did a couple of the water sports without any problems. The beach staff were very nice. My biggest complaint is that the actual "swimming area" is very small. The water is not very deep at all and if there are a lot of people in the water, I can see how it might feel crowded.

Rooms: Our room had plenty of space for the two of us. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. We were on the third floor of Building #8 and I can definitely say that if you want to take any afternoon naps, this is not the building for you. Every afternoon, they blast music at an obnoxiously loud volume. It sounds like there is a speaker directly outside of your door. If you're looking for a little more peace and quiet, I might suggest a room further away from the main pool.

Service/Staff: Pretty much everyone we came into contact with was amazing. Everyone was very accommodating and the staff members were always smiling. We did have a little trouble with getting our room cleaned/fresh towels occasionally, but nothing that truly inconvenienced us. The piano bar guy is great and we went there a couple of nights and had a great time.

Management: AWFUL. Daine and Camille were inconsiderate, belittling, and unaccommodating.

Our departure day is what has forced me to give this resort such a low rating. We awoke around 9:30 that morning and started to get ready for the day. We noticed an envelope under our door and glanced at it quickly. We saw that it was a bill for bottles of wine we had ordered throughout the week, so we set it aside and went to breakfast. We returned from breakfast and started to pack as we had a 3:15 flight out that day. We were under the impression from our check-in that our shuttle would be leaving at noon. At 10:50 we received a call from the front desk asking if we were coming down to the shuttle for the airport. We were extremely confused and told the front desk that we weren't packed yet and that we had just returned to the room. We were then told that there was not another shuttle leaving until 2:00 that afternoon and that we would have to make our own arrangements. We attempted to pack quickly and asked the front desk to call us back with other possible arrangements, as a trip to the airport was supposed to be included in our travel package. They did not call us back.

We came down to the front desk around 11:30. We first talked to Camille who stated that we should have looked at our envelope earlier. We told her that it was not in our room the night before and that all we had seen was a bill that morning as we left for breakfast. Apparently, this envelope had our departure time on it... somewhere. We never saw it. After explaining that we had not seen our departure information and that we had not received any other notice, Camille became agitated and hostile. She informed us that "someone" had spoken with us at 7:50 that morning and that we had not only confirmed our departure time, but we had refused the shuttle service. We were in absolute shock. Her statement was nothing short of a blatant lie. We had not spoken with anyone that morning (as were asleep at said time) and we definitely did not refuse our ride to the airport. She then stated "it's our word against yours". At that point, we asked to speak to the manager.

Daine, the manager, approached us very defensively. He was rude and did not even bother asking us questions or trying to help us get to the airport. He approached us with the same misinformation that his staff (Camille) had provided him with. He assured us that "someone" had indeed spoken with us that morning. Despite the fact that we were never truly notified of our departure time until the shuttle was leaving, he insisted that we should have known and that we had plenty of notification. He offered no help and told us we needed to find and pay for our own ride to the airport.

We pretty much gave up trying to talk to management. We asked for a taxi and ended up paying $100 for the ride. As we were waiting on the taxi, my date mentioned that we would take the matter up with corporate once we returned home. At this point, Daine offered a $50 voucher towards a taxi fee to which we politely declined as we were completely frustrated at this point. The attitude of the management was completely demeaning the entire time that we had tried to talk to them and then they offer a little help once corporate is mentioned? Nope.

Overall: We enjoyed our stay at the resort, but I will not be returning. Daine and Camille had awful attitudes and made our last day/departure extremely stressful. I'm sure there are other resorts that would be much more accommodating and pleasant towards their guests.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 8 are a bit noisy due to the constant loud music at the main pool and game area di...
17 Thank LGJ83
Althea G, Ambassador at Paradise Cove at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest

It will be our pleasure to address your concern with regards to the service issue stated that was received. Firstly, let me apologies for you not getting the shuttle included, which is by means no fault of the hotel. Your departure envelope that has your shuttle pick up time along with your bill was delivered to your room on the final night. You stated that you saw this on the morning of on your way to breakfast at 9:50, and took out the bill, and did not look at the other information. Your schedule pick up was at 10:50am, which will still allow you time to get the shuttle. It was also revealed that the tour desk, who handles the transfer spoke with you that same morning.

At your arrival at the lobby, it was explained that at check in all information is shared with regards to the hotel and transfer and is included in your arrival envelope, when showed what the transfer voucher looked like you stated "oh well maybe I overlooked it". At that point it was explained that the only option was a taxi, because the next transfer would not be until a later time, which would not be conducive, due to your flight time. An offer of USD50.00 was offered to assist in offsetting the taxi cost, which you refused. You also tried to leave the hotel without paying your bill, and when approached about it, you yelled 'what", and it was explained that your final bill needed to be settled. You aggressively sign and went on the taxi.
I
mmediately after you left, your room 834 was checked and the envelope given at check in was still in your room, with all information still untouched.

We wish all the best in your future travels, and despite the service I am happy that you had an overall good stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Property: Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Address: Paradise Cove Drive, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa)
Region: Caribbean > Jamaica > Saint Ann Parish > Runaway Bay
#2 Spa Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Luxury Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Green Hotel in Runaway Bay
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £££
Hotel Class:4 star — Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelbag, Holiday Gems, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotel.de, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection By Hilton Jamaica, Caribbean