“The "Other" adult Jewel - depends on what you are looking for”

Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“The "Other" adult Jewel - depends on what you are looking for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We are not first timers to Jamaica, so we understand the pace of how things go. After all one of the reasons we keep coming back is exactly for that. It's slow down time which is why I don't understand some of the things others mention. Why I am giving a 4 star review is that I want to be fair and give clear expectations for why this property should be considered by those who want a more modern, maybe upbeat environment. Our previous visit was to the Jewel Dunn's River and our experience was fabulous. ( I have posted a review here as well if you care to search for it). We decided to try the newest property since the majority of reviews were so positive. I can't really say anything bad about this place but I don't think we will choose to come back. Nothing to do with the resort itself and it's greatest asset is their staff who we found to be so friendly and attentive. I feel it's the atmosphere and vibe which is more modern and less traditional and elegant. I guess because we felt so spoiled at the Dunn's River location our experience there will always be hard to surpass.We found the rooms to be comfortable and well appointed. We did enjoy the big walk in glass shower and our room was kept spotless and well supplied. The style here is quite modern compared to Dunn's River. I guess I missed the more romantic ambiance, four poster carved bed, extra little touches like a flower on my pillow and our room with the mountain view and generous private balcony. Our room here overlooked a pool in the center of four buildings with balconies all around. So what we saw were the balconies across from us. For the most part if you are out and about it really doesn't matter, but it would have been nice to not just see this and the balcony was a little small. Jewel properties do a good job of providing lots of options when it comes to their restaurants and we did try them all. Their buffets are a great way to try some local cuisine and new things along side the familiar. The bartenders are always generous with the pour and make some really delish drinks. Caution: some are a little potent! The stars here truly are their staff who we found to be so very nice and accommodating. I would recommend carrying a few dollars with you from time to time to say "thank you" to those who go above and beyond. A five here and there is so appreciated and it's really not much. I wish I could recall all the names of those who especially stood out because they are so hard working yet always have a smile and warm greeting. Our funniest encounter was with the little hibachi chef at the Jade Samurai. Where but in Jamaica can you get a really good Japanese hibachi, cooked by a sweet, comical young lady who got our table laughing by joking and even singing Kenny Rogers songs while she whipped up our dinner. I'm not saying don't go here but think about the vibe you are looking for. If you are looking for modern, more upbeat atmosphere then this is for you. If you like a little more romantic, traditional feel and gentler pace try Dunn's River. IMO, we will go back to Dunn's River next time. But in either case The Jewel group has not disappointed us.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room if you don't care to over look other balconies. Please see above.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Violet L
Althea G, Ambassador at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Violet

Thank you for taking the time to share your review; and delighted that you enjoyed our resort. I'm sorry that the feeling was not as expected at Jewel Dunn's, but happy that the brand on a whole, delivered the service that you expect. I am also delighted that our staff took care of you and the service was impeccable . We look forward to hosting you again at the Jewel brand and thanks again.

Althea Gibson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This resort is alright, but nothing like the rave reviews I read before visiting. I will give a break down of the good and bad, and you can judge for yourself.

Check in
Check in was a breeze. No lines. They sit you down, give you rum punch, and take care of everything. Even though check in wasn't until 3:00, our room was ready earlier.

Rooms
The rooms are basic. They have a bed, tv, chairs, nightstands, table, and walk in closet. The mini bar is filled each day with juice, water, and pop. No beer at the mini bar, but we had a pool bar very close by for beer. Like previous reviews mentioned, some water does run out of the shower, but that was not a big deal to us. A little bit of water wipes right up. I loved the location of our room. The sliding glass door opened right to a pool. We were literally 2 feet from the water, which was convenient. The front door was near the lobby, a few tables, and these elliptical bikes that you could ride around. No problems with wifi. Don't get an ocean front view because we heard the view is obstructed by palm trees and buildings.

Beach
You cannot take long walks on the beach. You cannot even walk on the beach near the water because of all of the rocks and coral. I stubbed my toe on one of the many rocks just trying to get back to our towels. Another big disappointment was that there are not waves crashing onto the beach because of the cove. Also, a lot of sea weed in the water. Your best option would be to bring a raft and float around. There are two beaches. However, the 2nd beach is not any better. Lots and I mean lots of sea weed. The only good thing that I can mention about the beaches is that there are plenty of shaded areas.

Pools
There are 3 pools. There is the main pool, an ocean front pool, and a pool that was right near our back sliding glass door. All pools have a bar and whirlpool. The jets stop running in the whirlpools at 5:00. I find this strange because it is too hot to use the whirlpool during the day. Then when people want to use the whirlpool after it has cooled down, they turn the jets off.

There is a waterslide in the main pool. However, don't plan on using the waterslide whenever you want. It is supposed to be open all day, but I tried to use it twice around 2:00-3:00 and it was closed. This was really annoying because my feet felt like they were on fire as I was climbing up to the waterslide, then I get halfway there just to see that it is closed then have to turn around and go back down the steps. There should be a sign posted below to let you know if the waterslide is closed.

Activities
There are games running throughout the day and evening. Participate because you can win some cool prizes. The steel drum band and dancers were entertaining. Each night you receive a itinerary for the next day listing the times and locations of the activities. However, a description of the activity would be nice. For example, we still don't know the meaning of the activity "G Wizz".

Buffet
I can only comment on breakfast because I didn't visit for lunch or dinner. Breakfast was good with a lot of variety. They switched it around a little bit each day. The omelets are great.

Platinum
Fancier restaurant. Men must wear pants and closed toe shoes. We ate here twice, and the food was very good both times. Definitely try the coconut shrimp for an appetizer. The service was very good also.

Jade
You have to make reservations as soon as you check in. Food and service were amazing. Rodney was our chef, and he was great!

Golden Sabre
Sushi place inside of Jade. You don't need a reservation. Don't miss this place. It was definitely my favorite. Delicious sushi and the best service of all of the restaurants.

Moonstone
Italian restaurant overlooking the ocean. We ate here twice. The first time was slooooow service but very good cheese ravioli and bread. The second time was much better service, but they changed the menu so no good cheese ravioli. You can see the waves crashing onto the rocks.

Court Jester's Pizza
This place serves pizza during the day then turns into Moonstone in the evening. Sloooooooooooooooow service. I think the waitresses were napping because it took forever just to get a drink. It took even longer for the pizza. Try the jerk chicken calzone. The pizzas are also good if you have the time.

Aquamarine Grill and Bar
Ahhhh horrible service. I had to go get my own menu. I'm still waiting on a salad that I ordered twice. The jerk chicken wraps are small and not very good. I'm not sure why all of the good reviews for the jerk wraps. The plain jerk chicken was by far better. At the pool bar, I witnessed the bartender get snippy with a guest. The guest ordered a beer with margarita on top. It was near closing time, so the bartender said "you're getting just a beer is what you're getting." Everyone standing around just looked at each other in amazement because the bartender was so rude. Great service would have been to go to the bar at Moonstone, which was close by, to get the guest her drink. Needless to say, we didn't go back.

Life guards
Most of the lifeguards we met were rude/lazy with the exception of Lenworth, who was very nice. The first day we arrived, we tried to book the sunset cruise for Sunday. The lifeguard told us to come back on Saturday. I knew from reading other reviews that the cruise had to be booked immediately, so I pressed. Also, I saw a clip board with other names on the list for the cruise on Sunday. After going back and forth and around and around, the lifeguard pushed the clip board toward me and laid his head down on the desk. Weird. I would have liked to get his name, but I couldn't see his tag because he was lying down.

Also, the lifeguards give no instructions except for "No problem." For example, no one knew what to wear on the sunset cruise. Dress up? Swim suite? The answer is don't dress up. Wear a swim suite under shorts and a tshirt. They stop the boat if you want to take a quick swim.

Glass bottom boat ride
We were the only ones on the tour, which is run by the lifeguards. Other guests told us their ride lasted 2 hours and the lifeguard jumped off the boat and got a sea urchin for them to see. Our ride was 1 hour and no sea urchin for us. Not surprised.

Front desk
We wanted a coconut down from a tree to try the coconut water. We asked a lifeguard how to get it down. He said we have to wait for it to fall. Of course, no help. We happened to be talking to another couple who wanted a coconut and said the front desk brought them one. That evening I spoke to Candi at the front desk who told me to ask a gardener the next morning. That morning I didn't see a gardener and didn't know where to find one because I just arrived the previous day. I went back to the front desk for the 2nd time and asked about the coconut, they said to find a gardener. I mean seriously, you can't call or page a gardener for us instead of us hunting one down? Great customer service would be to get the coconut or gardener for us. In my opinion, the front desk was being lazy.

Gardeners
Once we found a gardener, he was amazing. He brought us several coconuts, cut them open, and brought us straws. On another day a gardener, Corey, took us on a nature walk, and he was great. He showed us different fruits on trees around the property and answered all of our questions. We think the gardeners are the hardest workers at the hotel. They keep the property looking beautiful and know a lot of information about the plants and trees.

Engineer
We had an issue with the safe. We knew the passcode, but it would not open. The engineer quickly arrived, was very polite, and got the safe opened with ease.

Gift shop
Prices are not too bad. I saw better prices at the airport.

Housekeeping
Plan on waiting all day for housekeeping. One day they didn't even come. Forget about towels. They protect them like gold. I called laundry for a 2nd towel for my hair, and I'm still waiting for it. We even offered to meet somewhere so they didn't have to bring it to the room. Long story short, I had to use a pool towel. The next day we didn't receive a hand towel or washcloth. Since calling laundry didn't work the previous day, I called the front desk. Once again, the front desk was no help. They just transferred me to laundry.

In summary, this is a beautiful property with a nice lay out. Loved the location of my room, the gardeners, the sushi restaurant, Jade, the trees and flowers, and the activities. The lazy lifeguards gave us nothing but headaches. I think several must have been high; avoid them at all costs. The Aquamarine Grill and Court Jester's Pizza waitresses need to speed things up instead of keeping us sitting and waiting. The front desk needs some additional customer service training, and Housekeeping needs help.

When I explained a few of my problems to the front desk, they made sure I received towels that day but never addressed my other issues. Towels are something that I expect, not something I should have to chase every other day. I should be able to book my sunset cruise without arguing with a lifeguard. It would have been nice to have been comped for our cabanna or something. I think this hotel needs a better understanding of their customer. We want to know when, where, how, why and expect a certain level of service and for our issues to be addressed. This hotel has a long way to go still.

16 Thank james_4690
Althea G, Ambassador at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your detailed review and appreciate the feedback. Your review will be used in a positive manner to enhance our product as we continue, to strive in delivering the service of standard to our guest. We will share your review with the team and really appreciate you taking the time. We look forward to hosting you again soon in the future.

San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We spent a week at the jewel with our adult kids. 18 & 19. It was a blast. The staff was fantastic. Always making sure you are feeling good. They have 3 nice pools with bars. If u want to relax this is a great place. The spa is nice. Not Vegas but on the beach.Rooms are a little small but nice and clean. The food was good at the specialty spots but u have to make reservations as soon as u get there. Otherwise they get booked up. The Buffet was fine to satisfy your breakfast and lunch needs. The jerk chicken at the pool bar is awesome. Our kids made friends with the local staff and Swagg is awesome. The bar staff of Temique, Howard, Raul and timisha make this place a winner. Played tennis withe the pro peter and he gave me a good match.I will be back.

Room Tip: This is an 18 and over resort.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank bkcraw891
Althea G, Ambassador at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest

We are delighted that the family vacation was a memorable one, and that you all enjoyed our resort. We look forward to hosting you all again soon.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at the jewel the third weekend in June. Check in took minutes, our bags were gathered and we were shown to our ocean front room. Room was very clean and very pretty and the air was always cold. Two of the reasons we will make this our go to resort in Jamaica is the food and the workers! They are awesome and I'm so sorry I can't remember all their names:-( I had the best massage by Ebony at the spa and was soo sad to leave Tanesha. Absolutely no complaints! Did the complimentary trip to Dunns river and had a blast! We met wonderful couples, most memorable we're the folks from San Antonio, NY, and Detroit(if you guys want copies of the Dunns video let me know!!). Don't think about it, just BOOK.
~Mr and Mrs Louisiana

9 Thank CountryLiving225
Dear Guest

Thanks for sharing and delighted that the resort and staff was awesome. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I just got home from staying at the Jewel Paradise Cove Resort. It was my first visit to Jamaica and I was actually traveling alone so needless to say I was concerned if I had picked the right place. We'll let me tell you I am soooo happy I picked Jewel Paradise Cove. I met some really great people that I hung around with so that was a bonus. As far as the other reviewers on here definitely got it right when they give recognition to the staff. EVERY single staff member I came in contact with was awesome and made the trip. Need to give shout outs to Swagg (thanks for the laughs) Rual a.k.a "Troublemaker" & Ryan (teaching me moves at Bling club) bartenders Jason and Nerene, Bishop who works at the "Cut" gym, Morley and Robert ( sunset cruise was fun!! Thanks so much guys). These are just some people I can't possible list them all. There are so many things to do at the beach that would probably cost extra, the hotel includes it. The food and restaurants were great. They work so hard and go out of their way to accommodate you, make you feel welcome and ensure you are entertained and have fun. Looking forward to going back as soon as I can. Also do Dunn's River Falls through the hotel was a fun experience. Thank you Jewel Paradise Cove for making my vacation a memorable one!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank ChristiO67
Dear Guest

It was our pleasure and delighted that the staff ensured a great vacation. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I had my wedding and it was just beautiful ! Great service , nice coordination, the spa was great , the photographer Germiel was great, the butler Mario was awesome ! All the staff very warm and very welcoming !

3 Thank rociofrench
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to share your vacation with us. It was our pleasure to have hosted and delighted that you love the service and the staff. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed from June 14-21st, and after lots of research we finally selected the Paradise Cove. There are 3 Jewel's and this one is for adults only so don't confuse it will the others. What we liked about this place was the food, they had a lot of local dishes (curry goat, stew lamb, rice and peas, planteens,) and it was different everyday. The service was great, everyday evening they called to check how things were going and what they could do to make it better and every night they had turn down service. They had movie night at the beach and it was fun watching a movie on the beach and poolside. They had a great beach party for dinner with entertainment and a semi-formal dinner night that had a menu and entertainment. They also had a good jazz band during dinner on certain nights. They always had some type of activity, music that wasn't too loud and you could get a late night snack at the grill at the back pool. The only thing I have that is negative is that there is absolutely nothing fancy about the room. The balcony is very small, we paid for an oceanview and the only view we had was that of big trees blocking the view of the ocean so I would not bother paying extra for that. In addition, the color of the ocean water in this area is not like other parts of Jamaica because of the cove. They also had complimentary shopping trips and to Dunn’s River Falls, make sure you book those as they have limited space. The shopping trip you could sign up for more than one trip in case you didn’t all your shopping done. But make sure you confirm your shopping trip and Dunn's Fall the day before. When we were booking our trips the young woman we were scheduling with was on a personal phone call the whole time and did not books us as requested. We had to reschedule other activities due to that.

One bit of advice, DO NOT BOOK WITH BOOKIT! We had a “red-eye” on the 13th to arrive on the 14th but they booked us and charged us for check in on the 13th. I didn’t notice they had booked us and charged us for check in on the 13th until the day we check in and they told us they thought we had cancelled our room since we did not check in on the 13th. I didn’t pay close attention to the fact that the computer did not make it a minus one day since it was a red-eye. Other websites automatically indicate the cost is a minus one night when selecting a red-eye. Bookit does not. When I called them about it they would not refund the extra night because they said it was my fault that I didn’t pay closer attention to that. This was true because I was paying attention to the flight information assuming that the check in was for the 14th. I will never, never book with Bookit again.

2 Thank virgo1252
Althea G, Ambassador at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted to know that this is your best vacation by far, despite the hicup with your booking. It was our pleasure and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Property: Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Address: Paradise Cove Drive, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa)
Region: Caribbean > Jamaica > Saint Ann Parish > Runaway Bay
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Luxury Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Spa Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Green Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Runaway Bay
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £££
Hotel Class:4 star — Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Hotel.de, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection By Hilton Jamaica, Caribbean