Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Excellent Staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

A friend & I (Sharon & Erin) decided to try this resort on a recommendation from my Friend/Travel Agent. I am so glad we did.
The first thing was check in. We were seated & brought paperwork to fill out. As soon as we completed it we were shown to our room. It was pool view. Just what we asked for. Note to people on the 1st & 2nd floors around the pool: please place something in the window of the shower. You can see everything that goes on in the bathroom. Not good.

The staff here is amazing. RuShaun (my apologies if I misspelled this) at the Moonstone was excellent. At the end of the first day near dinner time when we came across the Italian restaurant. We were discussing having to go back to the room to change for dinner. RuShaun quickly informed us that there was no need for that. We were perfectly welcomed to have dinner in our current beach attire. We were very tired from traveling that day & were very thankful that he told us this. It was a lovely dinner. We were even able to spend time in the Piano Bar before heading to bed.

The "Piano Man" was excellent! He sang John Legend's, All of Me. He sounded just like the original. We ended up making it a nightly thing. The only thing I would change would be opening an hour earlier! Halfway through our piano bar experience we encountered one of the entertainment staff, Barbie. I must say that she is without a doubt an asset to your facility. She went out of her way to make us feel welcomed & comfortable. To give you an example, Barbie saw that I favored my ankle. She brought me ice & had me elevate it. It had swelled a lot due to an earlier injury & flight earlier that day. Barbie was even kind enough to call me the next morning. She wanted to make sure that I was doing okay because she had not seen me out that morning yet. During our whole visit she greeted us with a smile & a hug. She is truly a nice person that cares about her guest.

We had a wonderful time. From the pizzas that were out of this world, to the free excursions. We had a blast. Also loved the Jade Samurai.
We had a few mishaps in our room & things were taken care of very quickly. *As a side note, be very careful on the tiled floor if it is wet. Unfortunately, the only thing close to me was the curtain...... But I digress. Lol! The maintenance people took care of it rather quickly.

One of the greatest pleasures was the included water sports. We went on the glass bottom boat & the snorkel cruise a few times. Other than the jelly fish stings, it was great!

I would come back to see you all in a heartbeat! Thank you for making our stay so warm & inviting.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sharon R
Althea G, Ambassador at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you and it was our pleasure to have hosted and looking forward to your next visit.

Althea Gibson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I thought the staff at Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort was excellent !!!! Special recognition, to Collin, and Shelly. They are the best Ocho Rios has to offer!!!! Shout out to Theanell, Nerene, Oshane, Kareesha (can't recall spelling) Piano Bar!!! You all made a wonderful trip even better. Thank you! Thank you!

Room Tip: If you don't have an ocean view, you'll have a pool or garden view. yeah mon!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Brent R
Althea G, Ambassador at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Brent

It was our pleasure and thank you for mentioning the staff that stood out. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I was extremely impressed with the hotel and the professionalism of the staff. The staff helped to make it hassle free. Activities included in the price of the hotel is unbeatable. This is a great safe, unintimidating environment for single travelers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
6 Thank lwilsona
Dear Guest

Thank you and it was our pleasure.

Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I read some of the other reviews and was very surprised that people weren't pleased with this resort. If you are looking for a huge beach with waves, this is not the place for you. However, if you like a calm beach with no waves like we do, then this resort is perfect. It has one small beach and one larger beach on a cove. The people were wonderful, and the food was excellent. The entertainment was also very good. We also paid $100 for a private lobster dinner which was well worth it. One review I read suggested bringing $100 in one dollar bills for tips, which we did and I highly recommend. You will get the same service (excellent) whether you tip or not, but the people are wonderful and deserve the tips, and they are very appreciative.

Also, the shuttle from the airport is included, which is nice because it's about an hour away. It's a long ride, but it's beautiful. This was very organized and I was pleased with the service. They also have a tour company on site to book excursions which is super convenient. We toured the appleton rum factory and I highly recommend that tour. The buses are nice and air conditioned (tours and airport shuttle bus).

This resort also has a lot of excursions included. They have daily snorkeling trips, a shopping trip, a trip to Dunn's river falls, and a sunset cruise, just to name a few. We didn't do it, but I was also told they teach you to scuba dive and take you out diving for free. I wish we had done that, and definitely plan on that next time.

Overall, we loved the resort and definitely want to go back. My only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer than 7 nights!

Room Tip: Ocean view room was very nice and had a beautiful view. Definitely worth a little extra for the view...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
5 Thank Christina L
Dear Christina

Thanks and delighted that you enjoyed all that we had to offer and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

San Augustine, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

The name Paradise Cove is truly fitting for this resort. Very well maintained and staffed. The food was excellent and the service was great. Everything was as promised. I especially liked the fact that there was only one restaurant that required reservations. A special thanks to the water sports team for being so accommodating. Can't say enough great things about this place. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room near the beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Gevett
Dear Guest

Thank you and it was our esteem pleasure and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We spent 6 days here Aug. 2014 on our honeymoon and really enjoyed ourselves. The resort was just what I expected from reading lots of reviews on tripadvisor.

Service- I've been to about 15 different all inclusives in Mexico, Dominican and now Jamaica and these employees were by far the friendliest! Very nice and helpful which made a difference since the resort doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

Food - very good for the most part. We don't usually care for breakfast food however the buffet actually had a nice selection and it changed daily. LOVED the escoveitch fish they had a couple times. Only problem was super slow service at platinum for breakfast so don't waste your time because it's the same food as the buffet. Lunch was real good everywhere and definitely great jerk chicken at the grill which is open 11am to 7am. We had chicken and fries everyday and it was by far better than our other resort we stayed at. Only one fancy restaurant for dinner., but it was nice. Hibachi was lots of fun and loved the salmon and shrimp.

Rooms - ours was a pool view deluxe and it was fine. Definitely not big or super fancy but ok. The buildings are all only 3 levels and we had a top room with vaulted ceiling making it seem bigger. Is ask for a top floor unless you don't like steps because there's no elevators anywhere. Rooms could have been a little fancier but no problems. I think most have balconies which is nice.

Maid Service - I usually never comment on this because it's not that important to me however this time it really irritated us and we had to call to complain a few times. We would be gone for hours and hours then go back to the room to relax it cleanup and they'd show. Problem with enough towels for the rooms as well.

Checkin and checkout were both very easy and quick! The resort is smaller and the staffs good about remembering who you are. Luckily it's spread out somewhat making it appear bigger. Nightime entertainment was good however doesn't start until later. Take advantage of all the free activities like glass bottom boat ride, sunset cruise, hobie rides, trip to the falls, diving and snorkeling, etc.

If you buy photos from the resort photographer be sure to negotiate the price down because they will go cheaper than advertised prices.

We stayed at Jewel Dunns River Falls for the last half of our honeymoon and preferred the Paradise Cove even though the other resort checked off more boxes on our list. In the end the staff and the more upscale intimate feeling was what we liked.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Banny9949
Dear Guest

Thank you for the detailed review and it was ouir pleasure to have hosted and delighted that both properties was to your liking. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Jewel Paradise Cove Resort in Runaway Bay, Jamaica (July 21-27, 2014). Though the resort is probably the best in the area where it is located; it has potential and should capitalize on it if it is to compete with resorts of similar quality in other Caribbean destinations. For instance, the resort definitely needs to improve on the quality of its food. The best food at the resort can be found at the reservation-only Jade Samurai. I did not eat once any lobster or crab anywhere in the resort. You certainly find these delicacies in other comparable resorts throughout the Caribbean (ex. Mexico, and the Dominican Republic); and even on cruise ships. The resort could also improve on its nightly entertainment, which is quite weak by standards of comparable resorts- even in Jamaica (ex. at the Riu chain of hotels). Lastly, the resort should get rid of Marley over at the beach concession. He seems to be an angry individual, who also gets sexually-frisky with one of the female beach vendors. Now, accolades to plenty in your wonderful staff such as Collin in the front desk; Haynes the bellhop; Ryan at the disco; Tavin behind the bar; Randy the chef at the Jade Samurai; Stephanie, Carlos, and most of the waitress and waiters all over the resort; and my personal favorite- Markland, a true gem of a host, and all around human-being (he happens to be one of the restaurant managers). Honestly, the staff there was by-and-large superb, and they really try to go out of the way. Though I expect to return one day soon, I certainly hope the resort provides better quality food; and entertainment (and rid themselves of Marley, the only "bad apple" of the entire bunch). This would then put this resort up there with some of the very best all over the Caribbean. All-in-all I must admit that me and my wife had a great, relaxing vacation; and we did meet some great people there- both guests and staff members. Yeah Mon:-)

P.S. The resort is way prettier than any picture can depict!!! Enjoy it.

Room Tip: The rooms are all quite nice, and the service is top-notch (those maids are fabulous)! If you wan...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
3 Thank CarlP3
Althea G, Ambasador at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you and appreciate you taking the time to inform us, and will use your review in a positive manner to enhance our product. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Property: Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Address: Paradise Cove Drive, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa)
Region: Caribbean > Jamaica > Saint Ann Parish > Runaway Bay
#2 Green Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Spa Hotel in Runaway Bay
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £££
Hotel Class:4 star — Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelbag, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Hotel.de, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct and Agoda so you can book your Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection By Hilton Jamaica, Caribbean