“Hit OR Miss....”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Hit OR Miss....”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

(Stayed for 1 week in March 2012 for my wedding)

I think this hotel is very hit/miss. The room we stayed in was very comfortable and spacious, great bed and living area and awesome view! I believe it was A1 or A2..something along those lines. However, my parents stayed in a room closer to the front C3 I believe, and the wicker furniture was horrible and very uncomfortable. The kitchens in BOTH rooms lacked the proper kitchen supplies to cook a meal, so we were left with no choice but to buy most of our meals in local resturants.

The pool and swimming area was ok, the grounds were BEAUTIFULLY kept which was awesome for photos! It was a little bit of a walk to the local street, and the dining was limited one you did reach.

I was VERY upset about my wedding day. During the dinner, there was another wedding happening below ours, so they completely shut off our music and we were forced to listen to the other wedding give speeches through my entire dinner...and we were allowed to only play 1 song for our dance? For this reason alone...I would never return and it made my stay horrible because we paid good money to have the wedding there and were obviously not priority to the staff at Pipers Cove.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelle J T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have to agree with Ms. Jitterbug. We did not even stay one night after arriving there. Very outdated and badly in need of interior renovation (broken window handles, dilapidated kitchen sink, peeling paint). They put beds in the living room and beside the kitchen for our daughters to sleep on. One bed just kept sinking lower and lower the longer you sat on it. I also found that the pictures on the internet are old. I also hate to write a bad review as when Latoya heard we wanted to leave she was so gracious about the whole thing. Even offering to phone ahead to a place we were planning to drive to. Then she asked us to please call her to let her know that we arrived safely at our destination! My husband still talks about this. I am glad that so many other people seem to be happy with what Piper's Cove has to offer and are not as picky. I cannot comment on the food or the pool and beach as I never made it that far.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Eatontown, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This review is really hard to write because Daisy is a sweet older woman and her groundskeeper Ferris is a gentle soul of a man, but this property had nothing to offer us. The room was old, out dated and slightly "skeevy" (and mosquito infested). The pool is okay, clean and plenty of sun and beach chairs but the "beach" is 12 feet of pebbly sand leading to a small, rocky inlet just outside of a 8 foot high barbed wire fence. To make things worse, the Decameron, an all inclusive resort, is just across the way so if you do decide to lay at the pool or on the beach you are taunted by your proximity to an actual resort. The only beach that is within walking distance is okay but some of the locals were a little too intimidating for our liking (a local kid came and sat right next to me while eating at Flavours and stared at me and insisted I give him food and would not leave, a little nerve-wracking to say the least). The restaurant there, Flavours, has decent food but be prepared for loud speakers with blaring music. Ocho Rios is a long (30 minutes) cab ride away so unless you've rented a car or want to hire a driver to take you around all day, you're kinda stranded here. Cabs go for $50-100 US depending on a drop off or spending the day with your driver. We did really enjoy Mahogany Beach on our last day.

Again, Daisy is sweet so it's hard to say this but that's what this website is for so we're just being honest and hoping to save future travelers from the disappointment we experienced upon check-in. I reviewed Piper's Cove again on here today and found that a lot of these pictures are out dated even before the barbed wire fence went up around the pool. I have attached some of our photo's for you to look at. Do yourself a favor and find someplace else to stay.

Room Tip: This is NOT a resort hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MsJitterbug
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2012

No entertainment, not all inclusive, not the Hilton but the best hospitality in Jamaica! Miss daisy and the entire staff make ones vacation the best.

The apartments are clean, spacious, and well appointed kitchenettes to prepare light fare. The cook makes amazing meals at a reasonable cost. The grounds are beautiful a small beach area, and a pool and lots of loungers to chill and catch some sun.

Close to lots of scenic places to see and those outta the way spots to mingle with locals. The pub on the main road has kereoke Monday nights. Very entertaining and fun no matter where you are.

All in all if one wishes peace and tranquility with no frills, but the best accommodating staff this is the place to be...Cant wait to return for new years!!!

• Stayed March 2012
kingston,jamaica
Reviewed 29 February 2012

my husband came from england for two weeks so we decide we wanted to get away from the kids and everybody so we choose pipers cove and trust me it was worth it miss chin and her staff are so nice they let you feel like family its like you never leave home the only thing missing is some entertainment but apart from that my husband and i had a great weekend indeed and will be so happy to go back again it's a weekend i'll never forget NUFF LOVE TO THE OWNER AND STAFF OF PIPERS COVE IT'S A WEEKEND WELL SPENT

Room Tip: top floor is the best great view but watch out for ratbats
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Covington, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Piper's Cove is just what the doctor ordered. I stayed there for 5 nights and i wish i could have stayed there another 5. Mrs. Chin ( the owner) is the greatest. Every time you see her she would greet you with a smile and knew your name. If you ever stayed at a big resort you know that there is always all kind of problem. At Piper's Cove you didnt have to worry about none of that. Mrs. Chin and her sisters and her staff will go the extra mile. But i really want to thank Mrs. Chin and the cook for making my cousins romantic dinner the most enjoyable night to remember. It was well worth the money. Plenty of room. I'm so happy that I found this place. And you best believe that i will be back. Sooner then later.

Room Tip: Second floor has the better view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank RossBoss1
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Piper's Cove is a home away from home. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. We went back to Piper's Cove for the second time in November. It was great. The rooms were well looked after, the service was outstanding. Certainly not an all inclusive but much better in many ways because Ms Chin and her staff go out of their way to make your stay so much more enjoyable. If you needed anything all you had to do was ask, the staff went our of their way to ensure your stay was one you wouldn't forget.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple