“Beautiful Resort - had a great time!”

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Ontario
“Beautiful Resort - had a great time!”
Reviewed 27 November 2007

A little late with the review as I went to this resort with 4 other women between the ages of 21 and 53 last April. We had a FANTASTIC time, relaxing by the pool, at the beach, and enjoying the great food. The staff was great - very friendly and helpful. Juan, a manager at the resort, was great. I recommend saying hi to him; he is very friendly and complimentary of us Canadians!

The rooms were very clean; the housekeeping service was very prompt and cleaned our room every morning. There were plenty of towels, washcloths, an iron, hairdryer and a complimentary safe in each room.

Contrary to other comments, we thought the beaches were fantastic! There are 2 beaches; both are very quiet and well taken care of. The servers came down to the beach often, asking if we wanted drinks!

The pool was big and clean; we spent a lot of time sitting around the pool. Our only complaint is that the DJ by the pool played the same songs over and over and it was really loud.

We ate at the Japanese restaurant and the Grill. Both had great food and the staff service was fantastic, as well as entertaining. We were told that there would be more restaurants opening shortly.

We went on one outing, the "Highlights" tour, for $40 USD, where we went into Ocho Rios for some shopping, to a botanical garden, and to Dunn's River Falls. It was great for people who want to do some bargain shopping away from the resort, and to see the falls.

We had a great time at the Bahia Principe and a few of us are returning next spring! Enjoy Jamaica...it IS your vacation!

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank krista_dustin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,113)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed 27 November 2007

Just got back Sunday Nov 25 from a one week stay. We both absolutely loved the Gran Bahia. Our room had a huge balcony over looking the ocean. We have stayed at 4+ resorts in Punta Cana & Mexico and the service & overall friendlyness of the staff does not even compare. The service, buffet, pool and beach were all excellent. Thanks to Alejandra (PR manager) for making us feel so welcome in the internet room. The local bands were very good, the only thing I would like to see improved is the entertainment.
We will be back!

Stayed November 2007
8 Thank musicman3
Toronto area
Reviewed 26 November 2007

We just got back early Sunday Morning. Travelled with our family of 4 with 2 children ages 8 and 6. The is gorgeous, the service on the other hand is not consistant.

I've read all the reviews those who say that you have to be friendly first, we'll I'm always friendly. It seems if you didn't say anything, they wouldn't say anything. It just seemed like you were trying hard to get them to be friendly and that shouldn't be the case anywhere you go, especially if its a 5 star. No matter what the politics surrounding the hotel is, don't take it out on the customers. I found this especially at the snack bar by the Fishermans Restaurant. We happen to like ketchup on our fries and burgers & all the ketchup bottles were empty. We ask for ketchup and they say there is no more. That's it. No one offered to call some up or to get some or to let us know where we can go ourselves to get some. Nothing - end of conversation. In fact they seemed irrated that I even asked for ketchup and started mumbling to each other in very stern looks after I asked. Now is that 5 star service? Don't think so.

Rooms: Very clean - great service to refill the mini bar.

Front Desk Managers - not very helpful.

The beach was okay.

The a la carte restaurants were okay. Mikados was our fav, however we preferred the buffet, more selection - great food. Colleen at the Fishermans Restaurant was awesome. Always smiling & was very attentive.

There's a kids club from 10:30 to 12:30 and 2:30 - 5:30 with a small playground. Hardly any kids. There's a coin opereated arcade room upstairs. Mini Disco for the kids every night from 8:30pm - 9:30pm. The nightly entertaiment was good - we had lots of laughs some nights.

The pool was just awesome!! The biggest I've ever seen! In the pictures the small circle pools are what I call "Baby"pools aprox 1 ft deep. The larger circles start off shallow then go to the max of 4ft. The water wasn't too cold. Can buy water toys at the gift shops.

Overall I would rate the property a 5 star and the service 3 star. We didn't let the set backs ruin our vacation, we had a great time.

• Liked — Very Clean, beautiful rooms.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
9 Thank Familyof4fun
maple
Reviewed 26 November 2007

I absolutely loved this hotel and the staff.
The rooms and the property was definately a 5 star.
The buffet was good, but the al a carte dinners were very very good. The only thing I didn't like was walking to and from our room...the hotel is massive and so there is a lot of walking. Our room nbr was 18510 and in this area the rooms have a great ocean view and pool view.
Make sure to book the Golden package...you get 4 a la carte dinners instead of the 3, and the room is ocean view...with a jacuzzi in the bathroom. There is also an internet room where you can also have a drink...and the staff here are super nice.
Make sure to get a bottle of rum and a pack of Jamaican coffee with your package.

The beach however is not the best ...the beach area is a 5 min walk...and there isn't alot of sand on the beach...I would say the beach is a 3 out of 5 .

I would say this trip is well worth the money.

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — the walking around the resort-was a massive property
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank iannetta11
nova scotia
Reviewed 21 November 2007

15Nov07 - Had a day pass to check out this resort... very large spread out resort and currently there is no tram system; lots of rain recently and some areas have not weathered it well... water damage/leakage prevalent; Rooms have 2 double beds or one king four-poster canopy; are well appointed and decorated with large bathrooms with toilet separate from shower/bath and vanity area (like this!).

Orchid Main Buffet restaurant open for all meals with plenty of variety, catering to European and North American palettes; make to order stations, carving station and dessert area; wine is served with lunch and evening meals - house red or white - was OK. 3 a la cartes per week, 4 if you are Royal Golden. Reservations made with Guest Relations in lobby or for Royal Golden guests, at exclusive air conditioned lobby lounge (this lounge also has their internet access stations). Internet cafe available for use by all other guests for a fee, charged to your room. Snack bar located at beginning of beach area; gated au naturel section of the beach has its own grill and bar.

Beach palms need to grow but there are plenty of palapa shades and loungers... it is a "hike" to the beach from the main pool and rooms and not worth the walk frankly... sand is like crusher dust...hard on the feet! Easy swimming area; is quite shallow for a long ways which is great for those travelling with kids; no aqua socks required; some seaweed in areas; beach area cut into the rocky shore, something similar to Grand Xcaret in the Mayan.

The focal point of the resort is the main pool with kiddie pool area and swim up pool bar. From the pictures I saw previously of this area, it looks like one huge pool... it is not! There are several bridges from one side to the other which make it appear as one; but each of the bridge areas is where that pool stops and another begins... so you cannot swim from one end to the other... did not like this!

Pueblo Principe area is over by the beach area. Nightly entertainment and shows held here; nice feature is in inclimate weather, the shows can be moved to the indoor Theatre adjacent to the Lobby...not sure why this area is not designated for the evening shows... very comfy chairs, air conditioned... as opposed to the open air plastic resin chairs in the Pueblo area. Kids club in Pueblo area together with a number of shops and a casino.

Overall, I liked the resort even though it is too large for my liking, but I definitely see the draw. The Spanish influence is evident throughout the resort and esthetically is very pleasing, probably as it is still a new resort. The staff I spoke with and who served me were friendly and efficient enough... seemed like they were doing their "job", so to speak. I had on a different color bracelet for the day pass and staff asked where we were staying... at least 2 of them reminded me I was visiting 5 star hotel... hmm, but yet no top shelf liquors! hahaha

• Liked — New
  • Disliked — very large, spread out, service OK, but impersonal
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank DeniseAtBeach
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 21 November 2007

I went to the Gran Bahia with a group of 34 people for a wedding and it was fantastic. There was not one person in our group who did not enjoy the resort. Check in was quick and easy, our whole group was settled into their rooms within 1/2 hour and they gave us all rooms in the same block (mostly on the same floor). The rooms were all very clean and were cleaned at a reasonable time every day. we tipped the maid every morning, and our mini-bar was always stocked and we always had clean towels. We experienced no issues with the room at all.

The service was fantastic. The only time we found it to be slower was when the staff was changing shifts, but if you can't handle waiting an extra five minutes then you don't belong in Jamaica. We were there for a week and didn't wait in line for longer than 10 minutes at the buffet or any of the bars. The servers were all very pleasant, some even gave a few of us special gifts at the end of our stay because we had such a great time together. Mikeisha and Andrew at the lobby bar were my favorite.

The pool was amazing. It was huge and circled most of the hotel, was always clean and the pool staff came around clearing your empty drink cups and ashtrays all the time. The entertainment staff was very involved with the guests, always trying to gather participants for contests or dance lessons. The nightly shows were not very exciting though, so we elected to stay at the lobby bar most nights until the show was done. The disco bar was a lot of fun, we went there often. Make sure you try Burger Principe in the corner of the plaza, it's about a 15 minute wait, but the burgers are phenomenal.

The food was also fantastic. They had a different selection at the buffet every day and if you didn't want to experiment, there was always pizza, pasta, fries, etc. The snack bar by the beach was also consistently great. Of the a la carte restaurants, Don Pablo's was by far our favorite. Mikado's was very good as well, The Fisherman was disappointing for most of us.

The beach closest to the hotel was rocky, I recommend walking farther down, closer to the nude beach and the sand is a lot softer. The beach is also not as busy at that end.

Personally, I enjoyed being at the resort too much to do a lot of touring, but we did do Dunns River Falls and it was spectacular. Make
sure to take a waterproof camera and a waterproof beach bag with you. They'll also make you wear water shoes or sandals with straps, no flip
flops allowed. Be careful of the vendors outside the exit though. They were very pushy and aggressive. Don't let them put anything in your hands and be prepared to say no a lot. If you're not into shopping, just skip the market area altogether. We had a shopping trip booked for later in the week but decided to cancel it as we didn't want to deal with that stress again. Others in our group went snorkelling and scuba diving a lot and really enjoyed it. They also tried the zipline tour, Negril (cliff-diving) and shopping and loved them all. The bride and groom even won an excursion to swim with dolphins.

Overall, the resort took very good care of us. They don't take very well to arrogant and obnoxious tourists, so if you're friendly you won't have any problems. Everything was beautiful. You know the resort
is fantastic if not one person in a group of 34 had any complaints. Go to the Gran Bahia Principe, you won't be disappointed!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
12 Thank meganrs555
Flamborough Ont
Reviewed 20 November 2007

2 girlfriends and myself booked this vacation for our 30th birthdays and we had a great time. This was my 1st trip and was really looking forward to it...and I had an awsome time!! I will speak for myself but I know my girlfriends would agree, this is a beautiful resort. Excellent food I might add...loved every bit of it. We had a terrace overlooking the pool and the hotel surroundings. Minus our room flooding the 2nd day there with excess rain and waters from above balconies, we woke-up to a great surprise and had some great help soaking up the water and we had a great laugh together doing it. Not to mention that I learned some spanish and patwa sentences along the way!! The surroundings is way cool. Long beach & nice warm teal waters. The people, pool, snorkling, entertainment, bar, restaurant staff was great. This resport - keeping in mind - is under 1year old to which there are some tweaks they are still working out, but that didn't bother me. But I will mention they do need more staff working the floors as far as service goes. People working there at 1st was a little cold towards tourists, but I greated them with a nice hello & a smile and they became very pleasent and accomadating once they felt noticed and appreciated. I was told by a worker there that they are "not allowed" to physically ....greet or be overly nice to tourists in a figure of speech (due to getting possible complaints of harrassements or maybe something of a different nature, god only knows). So I could understand that, but I was there to make friends and was with my friends and have a good time..and they ran with that!! The pool life guards and entertainment people are great, and if you get a chance ask a guy named CHEZ to show you some of his own personal tallent. Other then that, I had a great time, the service at Don Pable restaurant was awful to say the least as we never got some items we ordered, had no service while waiting & spent too mush time waiting, etc....so we left the restaurant laughing cause it wasn't worth complaining!! The other restaurants was great and deserve 2 thumbs up!! So, all together, I had a great time, lovely location, would go again, cost is ok I guess knowing that Jamaica is expensive to travel to in the first place. But Jamaica is a great place to visit for sure...excursions are great too.....missing it already.

Stayed November 2007
#26 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!