“Absolutely beautiful!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Sudbury, Canada
“Absolutely beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

The staff was wonderful! The beach was lovely and relaxing but i recommend bringing your own thermal cup/glass if you enjoy a sand free drink. The little plastic cups they give you at the bar don't exactly hold much or keep the sand out when a breeze comes along. Don't tell Maurice, the bartender at the pool bar if you're there on your birthday :S got a little outta hand. If you like a sweet drink ask for a "007", it's coconutty slushy and fanta Oh and Rum of course! We did a couple of tours while in Runaway Bay, I highly recommend all of them. There was Dunn's River Falls (we chose the off roading tour which also takes you through the hills of little villages and through fern gully-really cool), glistening waters luminous lagoon (1 of 7 places in the known world where this phenomenon occurs naturally-fascinating and fun), and a zipline tour (followed by a nice walk through a jungle with peacocks and other creatures). Food was great, the buffet always had a lot of selection, the a la cartes were excellent with great service all around! The burgers in jamaica are sooooooo delicious! The pattie doesn't have all that dye in it that we're tricked into thinking is natural so they're more of a bland, pale grayish colour but yum!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Aimee G
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear guest,

Receive very warm greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

We are very happy to learn through your communication in Trip Advisor that you enjoyed your holidays with our service and our staff, specially with our 007 cocktail.

We would like to thank you so much for taking the time to share this lovely experience with us and we hope to have the pleasure to acn host you in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Customer Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,004)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Very large as you can expect from a resort and they are still expanding with another 90 rooms. I have to say being a Jamaican by heart (St. Mary) I truly enjoyed spending time with some of my Jamaicans. Donovan at the gym was there every morning to give me tips and tricks. Wayne my guy for making me laugh and making sure I had my coconut water to replenish after my 2 hour workout, Muah and thanks. The entertainment crew I don't belive you are paid enough for what you do. I enjoy the comrade with all. There is more needed as far as keeping busy and entertained. I found that there was not enough or lack thereof activities for children or adults. The rooms and meals where exceptional. Big up my Chef fren Rory and Donovan who made my morning breakfast the way a Jamaican LUV. Thanks a bunches.. for my arrow root porridge.

Room Tip: Try and stay busy and not have too much of the slusshies aka daquiries.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ewoman99
Dear guest,

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your comments concerning your recent stay at our property, the Gran Bahia Principe Resort here in Jamaica. We also would like to thank you for taking the time out to communicate the impressions of your vacation with us.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.

In the name of our General Manager and staff , we would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort and we hope see you very soon in our property.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Travelled as a group of 4, two adults, a 15yr old (who had a BLAST) and a 6yr old. This was our 4th time in Jamaica.
Check in was difficult as we booked an oceanview room (and paid extra for this) from another resort, only to be told none were available then 15 minutes later they finally put us in the proper room. Service lacks here.
SUGGESTION: ensure they give you a room on a higher floor (we were on the 6th)
Our room was clean, comfortable and an okay size for all of us. The view was spectacular.

Food was great, always fantastic selection at the buffet. Service was okay. Not the greatest. There were times at breakfast and lunch where no one was around to take a drink order. That's okay, saved me $$ in tips I suppose.
Japanese restaurant is a must!! Super tasty, fresh and a wonderful experience. The flavours linger in your mouth and will have you craving more!
The Italian restaurant was okay. Service was excellent there, thank you Richard!
The Grill Restaurant was spectacular. We had the filet mignon, potato puree and prawns. I was in heaven!!! Always go with the Chef's special!! Richard was there again that night and we received the best service!! Thank you again Richard. We celebrated my son's 7th birthday at this restaurant and order a cake in advance, the celebration was lovely thanks to the attentive service of the staff at The Grill.
The beach grill was fantastic as well. Great food selection, AMAZING JERK, spiciest I've had anywhere!!!!

The beach is beautiful, calm, clear and shallow. If you're up too it and feeling brave, there is a Nude Beach as well....I walked into it...and no one was there...there beach wasn't as lovely.

Being poolside was fun! Games were great to participate in, the whirlpools are a perfect way to cool off, and playing chess was a fantastic way to laze the day away.

LOCK UP YOUR ITEMS. A member in our party, accidentally left a very expensive watch out in plain view one day. When we got back it was gone. I approached the front desk to let them know that perhaps housekeeping had 'moved' the item where we just couldn't see it and to please speak with housekeeping to let us know where it was. The next day it was found. Housekeeping was honest enough to put it back.

Shows were good. Loved where they were located, outside near the shops. I was really taken by the performance of the Lion King and documentary on Bob Marley. Kids Mini Disco was okay. I'm thinking they could incorporate more games in an hour and a half rather than just one.

Service could be MUCH better at this resort. Front Desk staff (woman only) are not the happiest of employees and this is quite apparent in their service. The Sunwing representative was no where to be found for most of our vacation. We left notes, our room #, requested calls. Not a good experience on that provider.

We asked for late check out and instead of keeping us in our room they moved us to another (we paid extra for this). That room was awful and this is why I recommend that you opt for a higher floor room with the view.

Would I go again? Probably not. Only reason why I ended up at this resort was because there were no more rooms available at any of the others I wanted to go to (as we moved hotels after the first day in Jamaica) My heart will always be with Iberostar. They have service, food, accommodation, shows and amenities perfected!

Keep reading the reviews.

Room Tip: Higher floors!!! Do not try to save money and end up on a lower floor. You will be disappointed,
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank laurstar
Dear guest,

First of all thank you so much for your suggestions and opinion regarding our check in process and our rooms, certainly we are very sorry to learn that we could not exceed your expectations regarding this situation, of course we have taken very serious your comments and they have been addressed to our Front Desk Manager to take them in consideration. Only through communications of this nature we have the opportunity to asses and evaluate our performance and improve the level of quality in our services.

We sincerelly hope you could give us the opportunity to host you once again in our property .

United kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

The food provided was excellent, but I feel the Jamacian section is a little hidden away, and we are in Jamaica.... I have no prejudice to all nations being catered for, I am Spanish Carribean, but I feel the host nation should be applauded, it is like visiting England and not eating fish and Chips! When breakfast is served, and the wonderful omelettes are being cooked, the Jamacian section is not clearly visable as there is a line of guest waiting for their omelettes, obscuring the delights being offered from Jamaica.

The rooms are very very dated, considering this hotel has only been opened for nine years, why oh why is there no flat screen TV's, the ugly televisions in the rooms should never ever of been purchashed in the first place.... no CD player, no iPOD docking station... quite primative, but maybe the majority of your guest do not need these basic items. The rooms are cleaned to perfection, the staff trustworthy, we did not even use our safe! We were disturbed every night by noisy guest, I think guest need to be reminded to be polite and consider other guest..... However, we will return because the staff are fantastic!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Bahia Principe

1 Thank LAURAIN L
Dear guest,

First of all thank you so mcuh for taking the time for making us your suggestions regarding the jamaican corner place and the tvs. We would like to infomr you that we really appreciate them and of course they will be taken in considertaion with our department heads.

Thank you so mcuh for sahring your opinions and recommendations with us, it is only through communcations of this nature that we have the opportunity to improve and be better day by day.

In the name of our General Manager and all the staff Members we would like to have the pleasure to can host you again in the future.

Yours faithfully,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Overall the trip was great! The best part about the hotel was that there were no other hotels around so the traffic on the beach was minimal. The rooms were outdated and they weren't cleaned very well but overall not bad. The hotel was positioned well so not much walking required to pools and the beach. The service could be better, when we arrived we had to wait 3 hours for our room and they ended up switching rooms in th end. The a la cart restaurants were really good, the japanese and steakhouse the food was delicious! We climbed the Dunn's River falls and it is a must do trip if you are visiting Jamaica it is absolutely beautiful!PLEASE NOTE AS WE WERE LEAVING THEY STARTED CONSTRUCTION IN THE LOBBY AREA AND AT ONE OF THE HOTEL WINGS. Overall a good time but definitely could use improvement in some areas.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna Y
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear guest,

Receive very cordial greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

On behalf of our General Manager and al or staff members we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and we really appreciate your reviews regarding your stay with us. We hope to have the pleasure to can host you in the future.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Just got back from a great trip at a fantastic resort...... We went all inclusive with Air Canada Vacations, everything went very smoothly and everything was as promised. The resort was very very clean and the staff accommodating and genuinely friendly, especially Shonnette our room attendant and Tyrone our Lifeguard. We had mentioned to Shonette that we had a few mosquitoes in our room and without asking we came back to find our room all sprayed and free of mosquitoes :) very nice touch!! These two individuals made us feel right at home and Welcome... always greeting us with a smile and conversation--we even learned alot about their lives and culture. The beach was AMAZING, crystal clear water and super clean with plenty of chairs and shaded areas as well when required. The pool was sparkling and the staff very attentive. The buffet had great selection and plenty of staff around to assist--always more than enough food and choices. Marlon the Executive Assistant Manager was terrific always around ensuring we had everything we needed. I left a bracelet in my room and he even made an effort to have it brought to the airport for me on the next shuttle and had me paged at the airport to let me know the connection didnt happen and we made arrangements to ship it. THANK YOU for making our vacation very memorable !!!!! We will be back :) P.S. The Dolphin Cove was also amazing...a special shout out to the young man in the parrot area on Friday September 7th, I forgot his name but he was the best!!

Room Tip: A view of the Carribean Sea...spectacular
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kim M
Dear guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you appreciated the professionalism of our Executive Assistant Manager Mr. Honega, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Having been to Jamaica before I was quite looking forward to this trip. We were going for a wedding and also celebrating my husbands birthday.The hotel looked nice enough, the rooms were a good size. The service from some of the staff was good but I have to say that a few of them could do with a Customer Service Course, some of them seem to have a high oppinion of themselves. The food was appalling, they had a jamaican corner in the restaurant where they had the local cuisine which was either cold or had run out. For a hotel this size there was nothing going on for the kids. Animation was non exsistent. The wedding party was large and problems from start to finish. The only problem we had was when my husband went to get a drink and was told the bar was closed. But ten minutes later the barman served three white men. Black people in a black mans country treated like second class citizens. Do not think it is worth four stars.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Loretta B
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Dear guest.

It is indeed with great regret to know that all our effort were not enough to please you and your wedding group. We are very disappointed that we could not reach your expectations. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that any situation may caused you.We further regret that you felt your requests were not attended properly or in a timely manner.

In the name of our General Manager and all our staff Members we would like to thank you for vacationing with us and we sincerelly hope that these situations do not tarnish your percepction of our chain and when returning to Jamaica, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
#17 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,215 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!