“Very good overall”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Agawam, Massachusetts
“Very good overall”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Starting off, I would like to say I had a really good time and this is just my experience. Was there from Nov 10th-16th. Check in was quick and efficient. We prepaid for the Gold Club and were sent over there after receiving our room keys. Gold club has 4 computers which we were entitled to internet for half hr a day. Small bar is the corner to make your own drinks but quick tip, if u need ice they have plenty in here. One thing that was disappointing was were given 2 reservations to the a la cart restaurants of THEIR choice and THEIR times. We just wanted to get into the water so we did not complain. Back to the front desk for our safe keys. Safe was kinda tricky but very easy once u figure it out.
We get to our room, nice room but basically ground level. Rooms on the same level as the lobby have a terrace outside of the rooms so not the best of views. We stayed in room 23312. Maid was super friendly and we had her 6 of the 7 days we stayed.
We did tip her and everything we asked of her was taken care of. Tips at the swim up bar a appreciated but hardly mandatory for good service. Service was above par for everyone. One complaint was the blenders were mysteriously gone from more than one bar after a huge thunder and lightning storm, O well.
Pool is very big and windy. Swim up bar was great with music coming from right behind it. Plenty of chairs by the pools. If you want the cabanas, like u read before, you must get there early to "reserve" which I hate. Activities are posted by the pool for the whole day so u can map ur day around what u wanna do.
Food was so so. I have been to 5 all inclusives now and have came accustom to buffet food. This was no different. Plenty of choices for all tastes. Dinner buffet has country theme nights so they have an abundance of food from that country in a separate area. Breakfast buffets again, several choices of just about anything u want. Omelet station or 2 I believe. The lunch buffet on the beach was so so. YES the jerk chicken u hear about is very good and moist. Be careful of how much jerk sauce u add. Its very hot. Didn't even have to try the hellfire sauce, the medium was hot enough lol. Ordered room service and came in about 45 minutes. Burger with fries and a cheese pizza. Was okay, fries were hotter than the burger to be honest.
We are pool people and never once went to a beach so cant comment on any of them.
Used our pool towels multiple time because of the horror stories we read. Took care of the maid and she brought us 2 new towels instead of dealing with the towel hut.
Checkout was a breeze. Only thing is if you want top shelf liquor or redbull it is all charged to your room. They don't accept cash. So upon checkout, I owed a hefty bill, because of my taste that is.
Overall I would only rate this a 4 star resort. You get what u paid for. If u wanna drop 2 grand a person and have lavish food and amenities then do it. But for the price we paid ($1,275 US) for a week, there is not much to complain about. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Kid friendly, couples, singles. Would I return, no because the Caribian has thousands of resorts and I would like to see more. One last thing is you must visit Dolphin Cove. Was the only excursion we did and its a once in a life time experience. If you have any questions I would love to help you out. Just message me on here and I will try my best. Have fun, I did!!!! Shout out Julia and Maria from Vancouver :)

Room Tip: Stay in 4th or 5th floors for the best views, not the 3rd floor with the terrace outside your room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We value your observations, which will help us to improve our services and to provide a better one every day.

Thank you for your collaboration and for vacationing with us; we hope to see you soon again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts a wonderful experience in the Caribbean.

Marvelis symister
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,142)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ottawa Valley, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The grounds are beautifully kept, rooms were acceptably clean, food was good, not great. NEVER attempt this place if you are in a wheelchair. It is not wheelchair friendly and although you can get around, you will be walking and walking to get anywhere as ramps are few and far between. NEVER book through the diamond club as it is a disgrace and probably the biggest reason I will not recommend this resort to anyone. We paid a premium to get premium service and the only thing they ever told us was to go to the front desk for any of our needs. Towels and Toilet paper seemed to be a premium at this resort. Two days in a row we had to ask multiple times for towels as they took our dirty ones and left us with nothing (this was at 5PM). Ran out of toilet paper two days as they left us small part rolls each day. Beach was wonderful, but you needed to go to the right one, as one beach was very rocky. Staff was very friendly.

3 Thank donnv4
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your last vacation with us. It is good to learn that the cleanliness of our rooms, our gastronomy and the well kept ground captivated your attention. However it is with regret that we learn that you left our property not totally satisfy with our services .

We also noted your dissatisfaction with the Diamond Club and we would like to apologize for the inconsistency in our service that you experienced, we also encourage our guests with Clubs concerns to ask to speak to our Public Relations Manager.

It was a pleasure to host you, and we sincerely hope to be afforded with the opportunity to turn your perception of our service and provide you an enjoyable stay.

Tillsonburg, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

For the past number of years my girlfriends and I take a girls trip in the fall. While this year it was only 2 of us we were still looking forward to getting away
I think my biggest complaint is that there seems to be a real lack of organization. We arrived and sat on the bus for an hour before leaving - still don't know why. When we got to the hotel we were taken right away to our room - not at all what we asked for - we got a king bed and on 3rd floor - we had asked ahead of time for 2 beds and on the ground floor as \i was still recovering from surgery in the spring on both my feet. The porter kindly tried to find out what was going on but when the front desk didn't call back he went down. After waiting quite some time, my girlfriend went down to see what was happening only to find out that his shift had ended so he left. He did pass on the situation to a manager behind the desk but she was too busy chatting with a coworker to worry about us right away until my friend went down. We were then moved to a nice room - large and cliean.
The resort is beautiful but huge - if you are physically challenged its not the place for you.
The pool was big and beautiful but you could only go so far then you had to get out - walk a bit and get back in - they seemed to have several walls like this separating it but Im not sure why.
The food and drinks were great but the service sucked. If a bartender did acknowledge you, he would often walk away before \i was finished talking and would serve others and eventually come back - and with my drink but it was a bit frustrating
The a la carte restaurants were awesome - great food and wonderful service
There were a lot of weddings held at this resort and it was a beautiful spot - a gazebo out over the water
When asked if it was safe for the two of us to go out on our own we were told - "no problem mon! But travel light so if something happens you wont lose much!" That was from a staff member!!
There were some other issues that were related to us by other guests but not my story to tell but didn't make me feel too safe even at the hotel.
The beach was nice but you had to walk a long way again to reach it - going by reserved areas for the elite guests.
Overall, it was fine but will not rush back

Room Tip: We had ground floor just across from one of the restaurants - the steakhouse_and the pool was behind...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Janet W
Dear Janet,

The opinion of our guest is very valuable to us and we would like to thank you for taking the time out to share the impression of your vacation at our Resort. We are glad to learn that you have considered our hotel beautiful and you have enjoyed our cuisine at a la carte restaurants, drinks and our swimming pool.

Furthermore, we noticed your recommendations which will be taken into consideration to improve the level of our services.

Thank you for vacationing with us, we hope to be afforded with the opportunity to host you again to provide you an enjoyable vacation at our Hotel.

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I travel quite a bit, this is our second gran bahia property. We are not ones to write bad reviews, however if we can deter one couple from wasting their money, then we will feel much better, as we just wasted ours.

The building and property were very nice. Rooms were nice. We had alot of little things, nothing really major, but all together made for a poor trip. And as previously mentioned, second time to a gran bahia, second time encountering the same issues.

ISSUES:
-Had our check in date wrong
-We had two beds , instead of one
-One buffet to feed 840 rooms and staff members who sell time shares, THERE WAS NEVER ANY FOOD. They could not keep up.
-They never had towels at the pool, even first thing in the morning.
-They did not have working blenders for blended drinks
-They ran out of certain alcohol at beginning of week, never stocked up
-AC didn't work, reported it, told they sent someone to fix it, after 3 times we gave up and did not sleep all week.
-Very little service, and YES we are
big tippers
-Attempted to
book a la carte dinners first day at resort, told all full, placed on cancellation list.
-Our plane left late in day on departure day, no towels in shower room.
-Several other guests joined us in the theme of " NO ONE CARES". We have been to Jamaica several times with another chain, and we LOVED
IT.
- TIME SHARES, GIVE IT A REST PEOPLE, enough said.

Bottom line is the gran bahias are too big to make you feel special, catered too while on vacation, while other , smaller chains go beyond to make sure all is perfect.

Stayed November 2013
4 Thank NorthOntNl
Dear Guest,

It is with regret that we read that you left our property unhappy, we are extremely frustrated, since we always try to do our best to provide our guests and enjoyable stay, please, accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you have described.

We also would like to inform our guests that in our Hotel we have the Orchid Buffet, our "Piscis” Beach Snack, and the Palmyra Restaurant (only adults) where our guests can enjoy their lunch every day.

On the other hand, we are taking note about your observations toward our services and they will be taken into consideration in order to provide a better service. We sincerely hope you could give us another opportunity to host you again to recover your trust on us.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This place was sooo wonderful!!! It exceeded my expectations. The rooms were nice. The service was great. If I have to list a complaint, it would be not enough towels. But overall this was a great experience. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2013
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted reading your comments about your recently stay at our Hotel. We are happy to learn that we were able to exceed your expectations, to fulfill our guests satisfaction is always in the top of our priority and it is good to know that we achieved our goal.

Thank you for vacationing with us .It was a pleasure to host you and we will be ready to host you again in your next trip to our Grand Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best Hotel in Jamaica.

Jasper, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I were disapointed with this resort. It was not that bad and with better training and managment would move up on my scale. First we arrived on a Saturday (11/9). Check in was at 3:00. Lines were very short but we could not get into our room until 4:30. We did get our arm bands and had a couple drinks while we waited. We got our rooms and first impressions were ok. Rooms were clean and pretty much like the pictures. The fridge had only 2 beers and they will only stock 2 a day. No problem since we were not in the room much. The bathroom needs a fix up. Floor tile was "tired" and a lot a caulk used to hold things together. The rest of our party arroved on Sunday (11/10) and the check in routine was the same. They got their rooms around 5:00. We requested the rooms close in our reservation but were spread out in two buildings. The pool was always out of towls. They need to carry more inventory. Same thing with the room towls. Room was made up and towls arrived a couple hours later. Some of the servers seemed to expect a tip for the smallest thing. We prepaid for gratuties but I doubt the workers ever see any of that money. Take cash and tip the rare good service. The exception was one of bartenders named Jerome. He is first rate and provided great service wheather he got a tip or not. I watched him work and gave him a very nice tip on day 3. If all the bartenders and waiters were like Jerome I would rate service first rate. I am not sure any of the workers have been trained on what service is really suppose to be like. To me it appeared that they just did not know how to provide it. Our house keeper did a very nice job also and received a nice tip at the end of the trip. The place was close to doing it right but fell short. I cannot recommend this place. We have stayed in several RIU Resorts and there is no comparison. Buffet was OK but selection was light. Not much in fruits and salads on the buffet. Always out of scrammbled eggs and bacon every morning. Hopefully Jamaica has nicer places than this one.

2 Thank UNO_Chucka_Kat
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are very sorry to learn that our performance wasn't the one that you were expecting. We would like kindly to apologize for the inconveniences you described; we always do our best to bring an enjoyable and unforgettable experience to all of our guests.

On the other hand it is good to know that the beauty of the property, the housekeeping service and our bar tender Jerome captivated your attention. Furthermore, all your observations will be sending it to the related departments to take the appropriate measures to avoid these situations.

Thank you for vacationing with us we hope to be afforded with the opportunity to host you once again and to provide you a better service in our Resort.

Rockland, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed 19-26 Oct 13. This was our fourth trip to Jamaica and will be our last unless improvements are made at the airport, 2 hours to get on the bus upon arrival and 1.5 hours to get to the lounge upon departure. The so called improvements made over the years are not/not improving the service. The airport and resorts are pushing the Mobay Club for $30 per person for the Mobay Lounge, a/c, drinks, food etc, however if you spend all your time in sloth like lines and staff who could care less how much they inconvenience you, is money well wasted. The Montego Bay Airport will kill the Tourist star, there are other places to go boys. West Jet, your check in staff needs improvement, the biggest sloth's of all
That said, the Gran Bahia is a beautiful resort, very large and spread out. All staff were helpful including the front desk. There are time share people in the lobby and around the resort, just say no thanks and move on.
The beaches - One out front is rocky, good if you like to snorkel. The main beach is off to the left and is a good walk. If walking is a problem for you, this report is spread out and lots of stairs around the resort. Perhaps this is why most people stayed around the pool. The pool is large and well maintained but this is where the noise happens. No music at the beach, fine by me. The beach itself is sandy, once you get past the first couple of feet, warm and crystal clear. Beach and bar staff friendly and helpful. No problems with palapa's (sunshade) but it was off season. No problems getting beach towels daily
Buffet's - Lots of choice and food well presented. Always staff at front entrance to assist you find a table. Crowded of course even in off season and noisy. Don't wait to be served coffee in the morning, there are coffee/juice stations, serve thyself. This buffet serves breakfast and dinner. Lunch is served only at the beach buffet where the Jerk Centre is located. Chicken is very good and a must try, I tried it 5 out of 7 days. Other choices at this buffet are average at best. Best staff at this resort are found here
Tried 3 a la cartes, The Mikado (Japanese), Don Pablo and the Garden Grill. All good food and good service with the surf and turf at the Garden Grill winning the day.
Room - Had a good ocean view room 220408, room was always well serviced, very clean and fridge refilled every day. Left maid a tip daily, got 3 beers instead of 2. Towels some days disappeared but were always replaced by dinner time. Bed was hard but suited us, however the pillows were useless, could not get any flatter, 2 on the bed and 2 spares in closet, all useless. If you need a good pillow be prepared. A/C worked but Oct is hot and humid, so worked hard to keep up, 40c most days. We had lightning and rain one afternoon which cleared the beach and pool, lasted 1 hour and back to sun
Day trips - We did the Tubing on the Lazy River through Chukka Tours. This is slow relaxing tubing, with only a couple of rough areas, great staff. Cost $55 each
Overall, a good trip, resort was great, too bad Airport puts a damper on things. I know they are busy but so is Punta Cana, so is Cuba, so is Mexico but they all move people along and don't get in the way..,

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gordroxy
Dear Guest,

We felt privileged to be able to host you during your fourth trip to Jamaica. It is indeed a pleasure to learn that you have found our property great and clean, a beautiful ocean view room, and that you especially enjoyed the quality and variety of our cuisine at a la carte restaurants and our Orchid Buffet.

It was a pleasure to meet you and we are looking forward to host you again in your next trip in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica a wonderful experience in the Caribbean.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!