“Great time”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Have just got back from 2 weeks at the Grand Bahia and thought I would write a short review.

Check in was quick and easy although there was no one to show us to our room, so we found it ourselves ( no problem ). Room was on the 3rd floor block 18 overlooking the main beach area, very nice view. The room was clean with a large four poster bed. We did not have any problems with getting clean towels when we wanted them ( I think wash cloths are an American thing, have never had them in any of the other Hotels that we have stayed in ! ).

Food was on a par with other AI Hotels there is always a good selection so it is not a problem to find something to eat. Not sure what people are looking for when they say that there is not much choice at Breakfast, no idea what they eat when they are at home there was just about anything you could want and a lot more selection than I have at home.

Hotel was large but well laid out. Grounds were immaculate with the Gardeners always keeping them clean and tidy. The lobby areas are very spacious with a good view overlooking the Pool and Ocean from the terrace.

We did not use the pool as we are Beach people, and most days used the Nudist beach which is a bit of a walk but worth it. It was like having your own private beach on some days ( glad you Americans and Canadians don't like taking your clothes off Ha ha ).

Only did 1 trip which was the Dunns River Falls well worth the money. There is a guy that follows you on the walk up the falls that videos you and them you can buy the video for $40, just got back home and watched it, better than I expected.

Overall the Holiday was excellent. There was nothing to complain about that would be worth writing about. Just go and enjoy it.

Could write a lot more about the place but as I said at the beginning ( a short review )

Would I go again, no, the same as what other people have said, there are so many other places to see and experience, but I would certainly recommend this Hotel to others.

If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to answer them if I can.

Room Tip: Block 18 and as high as possible. You will be more than happy with the views
3  Thank bus-pass
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your warm review. Your honest opinion is very valuable to us and to other guests who are thinking of staying in our Hotel. It is wonderful to know that you have considered your vacation as excellent and you have enjoyed the location, our immaculate ground, our gastronomy and the overlooking view from the swimming pool and terrace.

We greatly appreciate your decision to recommend us to other possible guests and we look forward to welcoming you again to our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, an authentic Caribbean experience in Jamaica.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Have just returned from a 10 night stay at this hotel. Stayed with my husband and another couple. I booked this trip 10 months ago and would say overall was worth the money. My main gripe was the room location, we were on the ground floor facing the beach and very close to the night entertainment, i did not have a problem with this however every night our corridor became a busy thoroughfare for every guest returning from the main late night entertainment venue and we were woke every night between 2am and 3am by crowds of people who thought it was ok to stand jabbering outside our room. This problem could have been easily rectified by security perhaps locking the doors and encouraging the guests to re enter the main hotel through the lobby thus not desturbing anyone. This was my only gripe..moan over. This hotel is vast and impressive, gardens are immaculate, pool is massive and lovely and some fun entertainment. Good bar service and excellent pool bar. We did have a day when we were a bit late getting some beach towels but this didnt bother us. Always plenty of sunbeds. Buffet was ok good selection and loved the fruit smoothies at breakfast. We were able to eat in the al a carte restraunts on four nights and found the food excellent and good service. Our room was cleaned daily and we did have a bit of a daily fight with some mosquitos so i would recommend a good repellant. We had no technical problems but we did invest in a safe which i thought was a bit steep at $60 for ten nights plus $50 deposit. Mini bar was stocked with the basics and replenished as and when required.
We did a couple of trips one to Dolphin cove to swim with the dolphins which was expensive but fantastic and one trip with Hooves horse riding through a plantation and then into the sea..this was fantastic and i would say give it a go.
Our rep was Anthony from first choice and he was excellent, informative and very helpful, he organised my husband a fishing trip with a local fishing crew which he loved.
We all came back chilled and enjoyed the holiday and i would go back again but would try to get a higher room.

Room Tip: Higher room away from the night entertainment
2  Thank welltravelled21

Dear Guest,

Your words about the beauty of the hotel, immaculate gardens our facilities and our cuisine go a long way encouraging us to sustain the level of our standards.

Our main objective is to provide our guests a wonderful Caribbean experience during their stay with us, and we are very happy to know that we were able to provide you and amazing vacation.

Thank you once more for letting us to know that you will come back again. We will be more than ready to host you and provide you with another enjoyable stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotel for your holidays in Jamaica.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

This resort will not let you down in any way. The place is immaculate in every aspect with a staff that shows up to work happy and ready to serve. The resort was very clean and felt like a relaxing getaway the entire time. People writing bad reviews about this place are unhappy in life.

3  Thank swicker5

Dear guest,

Thank you for your heartwarming review. We were pleased to hear that you chose our property to spend your vacation. We take pride in our reputation of providing our guests with the best amenities and best in service. So it is motivating to our entire team when we see reviews like yours.

It was an honor to be able to serve you and we cannot wait to see you again in our Grand Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Always at your disposal,

Marvelis symister

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We just got back last weekend from a two week holiday at this resort. As others have said, this is a BIG RESORT. Our room was 23416 in what we were told was a newer section of the hotel. The view from the balcony was great, looking out over the Don Pablo pool section out to the ocean. That being said though, we did a lot of walking to get from our room to anywhere else in the resort. A big plus, is it is the quiet side of the resort in the evening.
There were a couple of minor things wrong in the room. The sink drain and shower drain took for ever to empty. We went to the front desk 5 different times to get this problem fixed, it was finally taken care of. The decor in the room was OK, nothing special, but the bar was always full, and the coffee maker worked. The bed was a bit lumpy, and the pillows were a bit hard, not a deal breaker though.
We ate at all of the Ala-Carte restaurants except for the Itallian one. Our time there was too late in the evening for us (9:30), so we changed it for a second dinner at the Grill. We were disappointed at the Don Pablo. Nothing special there, and the food wasn't as good as the Grill. They tell you that in the Don Pablo the dress code is Formal. I guess that to some, a clean ball cap, a pair of very short, shorts and a clean tee-shirt are formal attire. If the dress code is formal then make it so, with NO exceptions.. We've been at other resorts in the Caribbean, and if you weren't dressed properly in the Ala-Carte restaurants, they wouldn't allow you in. The food in the Grill was very good and "Even Steven" was an excellant waiter, couldn't ask for a more pleasant person. We ate there twice, and enjoyed both expereiences. The same for the Japanese restaurant. Both times there, the food was food, and a good time was had by all. The buffet, was a typical buffet, hit and miss. Sometimes good, sometimes just so so. Don't miss the Friday night lobster feast though. Lots of lobster to be had. We also went to the Jerk Chicken Kitchen. The chicken was great, and shouldn't be missed.
Drinks were plentiful and other than the odd foulup, just as ordered. I like my rum straight with ice, and always got the good rum.
We spent a lot of time at the beach, not the farther away one, but the one in front of the pool. It's a bit rocky there, but if you snorkle, there's lots of fish to be seen. It's quiet down there,and there was always lots of lounges to be had.
We didn't take in much of the evening entertainment, but when we did, it was OK. At the outside bar, just off the lobby, it was sometimes too loud for the size of the bar.
As this was just a R & R holiday, we weren't too interested in any tours. We've been to Jamaica before so going to Dunns' Rivef Falls didn't interest us. We had hoped for some kind of a day cruise, but none were available. Lots of 3-4 hour trips that included a trip to the falls. We did take a "Community Tour" This tour took you up to a typical Jamaican pre school, 3-4-5 year olds, then to a Coffee Plantation and then to Ocho Rios to do a bit of shopping, All on board the bus really enjoyed this tour and our tour guide, Alton Powell was excellant. The school kids really enjoyed meeting us and the fellow that owned the coffee plantation sure knew his coffee. I understand that Air Canada Vacations want to cancel this tour, and if they do, what a mistake it would be. Not everyone is interested in shopping for junk in town or going on yet another booze cruise.
I guess the bottom line is, would I go back and stay at this resort. Yes I would.

Room Tip: If you're looking for quiet, try the newer rooms on the East side of the resort.

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from our Grand Bahia Principe in Jamaica.

We work with the commitment to fulfill our guest’s dreams in every possible way and we remain committed to going above and beyond to bring smiles and happiness to every guest during their stay with us. We feel very happy to know that we have achieved our goal with you.

Thank you for letting us to know that you will definitely come back. Please, do not hesitate to get in touch with us for any further assistance or requirements for you next visit to our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica a wonderful vacation experience in the Caribbean.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My sweetheart and I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe the week of November 1-8. After reading some of the reviews on this site I wasn’t sure what we’d find, so we adjusted our expectations accordingly. I was pleasantly surprised and overall we had a good experience.

First of all, I promised a big shout-out to Lance with Jamaica Tours Ltd., who met us shortly after we got off the plane and made sure we found our way to our bus transport. Also the JTL folks at the hotel, Valgene and Charmaine, were super in helping us book our excursions. Thank you all!

Once we boarded the bus which would take us to our hotel, we immediately realized we were on “island time.” This was no big deal to us because we were on vacation, and it is more productive for the bus drivers to transport a bus with more people versus less. We only waited for maybe 30 minutes before we were on the way to the hotel.

Check-in at the hotel went smoothly. The front desk folks were pleasant and efficient, and we were shown to our room right away. Our experiences with the staff were all very positive. I got the feeling they were trying to be unobtrusive (not aloof or uncaring). I made a point of making eye contact, saying hello and using their names when I encountered anyone, and when I did this everyone was very nice and made sure we were happy. Perhaps it’s the Texan in me, but “please” and “thank you” seem to go a long way. Even though this is an all-inclusive resort, we chose to tip on occasion because the average Jamaican worker only earns about $200 a week (USD).

Our room was ready when we arrived, and we found it clean and in very good condition. Our room was cleaned daily and the “towel art” was a nice touch. We did get clean towels daily, although sometimes not first thing in the morning which was fine with us. We didn’t go to Jamaica to sit in the room until the towel person arrived! (We also had no problems getting towels from the towel shack by the pool, by the way.) What I’d read in the reviews about no washcloths proved to be true – I got the impression this is not an article the Jamaicans use the say way as Americans. Again, no big deal as in preparation for our trip I’d packed our own bundle of cheap washcloths I’d picked up at the discount store before we’d left home.

Perhaps in response to others’ reviews, the timeshare people are confined to a relatively small corner past the front desk. They did speak to us when we would walk by, but a simple “No, thank you” did the trick. No one was pushy or obnoxious. At no time in the hotel, by the pool or on the beach did anyone approach us trying to sell stuff either.

We ate at the buffet daily. The food was very good, a different theme each day, great selection. I overheard a couple people complain it was not hot enough for them – but I also heard others say it was too hot, proving once again you can’t please 100% of the people 100% of the time. For us it was just right, neither cold nor scalding.

We also enjoyed the jerk chicken at the Beach Hut, which is quite a walk away from the main part of the hotel but definitely worth it. Also I’d encourage anyone to try the local Red Stripe beer, the Jamaican rum piña coladas … and of course the Jamaican coffee, which was heavenly!

The only other restaurant we enjoyed while on property was the Garden Grille. The food and service were excellent. There does however seem to be a bit of a disconnect between the folks in the lobby who make the dinner reservations and the folks at the actual restaurants themselves. We were told at check-in to book our reservations immediately because they try to schedule around weddings and other events, and sometimes the restaurants are full. When we went to make our reservations however we were initially told everything was already all booked up. We finally did manage to secure two reservations at the Grille. When we showed up the first time, at our reservation time of 6:00, the hostess said they didn’t open until 6:30 except for the bridal party they were hosting, which we could see took up maybe ¼ of the restaurant. Again because of the walk to get there, we sat outside and waited until 6:30 and then enjoyed our dinner. The second time we’d secured a reservation for 9:00 – which was late for us, but we were told it was the only time available. Our energy was flagging by the time we returned from that day’s excursions so we wandered over there early and, even though we could see the place was virtually empty, we were asked to wait until 9:00 (which we did, and the food was great). Both times the hostess seemed a little frustrated but we realized she was just doing as she’d been told so we did not make a big deal of it. But again, there seems to be some sort of disconnect between the reservation-makers in the hotel and what’s actually going on in the restaurant.

We visited both the pool and the beach and found both to be sparkling clean and well kept.

The other reviews are accurate in saying there is a LOT of walking at this hotel, and lots of stairs as well. It is also not particularly handicapped-accessible (but again, expectations: the ADA is an American regulation). For that reason we would not stay here again, as my sweetie is a disabled veteran who fortunately is able to walk and climb stairs, however to do so causes him much pain. And it seemed like everywhere we needed to go was quite a hike!

Just an aside here as well, as both my sweetie and I have traveled extensively: the Grand Bahia Principe is a 4- or 5-star resort – in a developing country. We were not expecting Paris or Las Vegas, and I think having realistic expectations is part of what made our stay enjoyable. Overall we were very pleased with the resort and its people.

3  Thank Gena C

Dear Gena,

We always try to leave a wonderful experience in every heart we touch. It is good to know that apart from the comments that you have read in the web site you were able to have your own experience from our Hotel in your last vacation with us and have realized that to exceed our guest’s expectation is our main hallmark.

Thank you for vacationing with us, it was a pleasure to host you and we hope to host you again during your next trip to our Grand Bahia Principe in Jamaica the perfect Resort for families to get together in the Caribbean.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Arrived with 8 others, & 3 off our guests were already there,, so they'd asked for rooms all together, myself & husband to be,,,, we" d paid to get married here, and bought with us 11 guests,,, so, bride & groom to be ends up with the worst room out the lot of us!!!! Get a move,,,, to a room that's already taken, ( that could have been nasty ), so 3rd room given to us,,, tolerate it for now, but not good by far,,,, next day, get moved,,, to the other side of hotel, some walk !!! Why can't the hotel make some off their gorgeous rooms they do have, available to ppl getting wed there,,,?? But all in all, we had the most amazing day, 1 I'll never forget,,, our other best moments was right down the end of the beach with Miguel,,, we miss him & miss Jamaica so much,,, we can't wait to go back to Jamaica, & we"d stay again at the gran bahia without a doubt,,, & next time, I CAN over indulge, haha,,, thanku G B P, & Jamaica!!! Beautiful,,, I R I E!!!!! X

Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank caff69

Dear Guest,

First of all we hope you had a nice trip back home, and we are very grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us.

It was our pleasure to be your hosts for this special event of your life and provide our modest help to make of it an unforgettable one.

Thank you for choosing our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts in Jamaica, a place for celebrating your promise of eternal love in paradise in the Caribbean.

Yours faithfully,

We had a pleasant 10 day stay at this resort

2nd night there at 01:30 my toilet decided to explode after I flushed it, after reporting it to reception they finally sent someone to my room with a mop & bucket,by then the room was flooded,by 03:30 they finally moved us to a equally bad room, I visited the reception in the morning to again get moved to a better room, only to be told by a grumpy receptionist the hotel was full,knowing this not to true I asked to see a manager,after meeting Diana we were moved to a 4th floor room which was very nice,although the original room was flooded with nasty bits floating around,this room was occupied by mid afternoon the same day,no way this could have been disinfected...

On the 2nd day I attempted to book into the Ala Carte restaurants only to told by a rude member of staff there was nothing available for our first week,I managed to book 3 for the second week,as it was my daughters 21st birthday on the 2nd day I decided to chance it & visit the Italian restaurant at 18:00 to see if they could fit us in,guess what they had a table,I also managed to get into the Spanish restaurant the same way by just turning up,they had loads of times & tables (why the grumpy member of staff lied I do not know)

The main buffet although having theme nights,is a bit of a cattle Market, breakfast especially

The entertainment at night is shocking,boring non professional dancers trying to put on a show

The beach buffet bar ie Jerk Chicken place is great,even have happy waiters juggling glasses of beer on their heads to serve you

We did 2 trips

The Bob Marley trip to nine miles is great on the Zion bus as is the trip to Black river,Ys Falls & Rum Factory

I would rate this resort as a 3.5 star

Room Tip: Try & get room on the 4th floor in block 18 very quite with good brides
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank IANLINCOX
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your opinion about your last trip in our Hotel. It is good to know that you had a pleasant experience and you have enjoyed our jerk chicken center by the beach.

On the other hand, we are satisfied to learn that you gave us the opportunity to assist you with the room issue that you experienced. Furthermore allow us to highlight that in our Resort our entertainment staffs gives their best to offer our guests from different nationalities an authentic Caribbean experience.

Kindly note that we always try to accommodate our guests’ requests, nonetheless the reservation for a la carte restaurants it is always based on the availability, sometimes our guests decide not to use their reservation without previous notice, which made us unable to cancel the reservation in our system. Please, accept or sincerest apologies.

Thank you for your collaboration and for vacationing with us; we hope to see you soon again in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Yours Sincerely,

Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!