“We love this place!!!!!!”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We were at this resort in Nov and we loved it so much we came back 5 weeks later. The price was
hard to ignore. Thru selloffvacations.com....we stayed here for $590.00 plus taxes. This time we flew with Air Canada which gives you extra perks we didn't get the first time. Our safe was free, we had a house coat and slippers and 4 al al cart dinners instead of 3. We also had our beach towels in the room waiting for us. We would exchange them every afternoon so we had fresh towels in the morning.
We booked this trip 2 days before we left and I emailed the resort and asked them if they could book my dinners for me and give me a higher level room. I did receive a quick reply with all my dinner dates and times. They said they would try to assist me with a nice room once I arrived at the hotel. We stayed in room 18309 the first time, and I told them I loved the room....so I got the same room again. It was perfect. From that room, you get a great view of the bay and a side view of the ocean. It was great to know where everything was and we were excited to be back.
All in all, it was a great vacation....and I would happily go back again. We love the jerk hut and we ate there every single day.
The staff is amazing, and it was funny to see peoples faces when they recognized us. Everyone was wonderful and took great care of us.
I did get sick the day we were to fly home and I ended up in MoBay Hope Hospital for almost 3 days. I sure learned a lot !! If you get sick and can't make your flight...MAKE SURE YOU GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR REP!! She was amazing and Im so grateful to her for all her help
If your a tourist and you need an ambulance, they will charge you $500.00. Runaway Bay is about an hour from the hospital. Thankfully, our bus was leaving for the airport about the same time.
They offered to drop us off at the hospital on the way by. I was so thankful.
Long story short, we were in touch every day with our Rep and they were able to get us on another flight for about $300.00 each. If you just don't show up for your flight, your ticket is null and void and you will pay full price for a flight home. We had to get out on the Friday as all the hotels were booked up and there were no open seats until after the weekend. We wouldn't have made it home for Christmas. Timing was everything, we had the ice storm here in Toronto that Friday night and we would have never made it back
MoBay Hope was certainly and eye opener, and it really makes you appreciate our hospitals here at home. It's a little tiny place, it had bugs. No hot water, no cold water. In 3 days I had 3 glasses of water, I glass of apple juice and a cup of tea. Although I was on a liquid diet, I expected better. I always felt like I was bothering them and some of the nurses sure made you feel that way too.
Im sure they get a lot of winey tourists in there and I felt like they made me suffer needlessly.
The bed beside me didn't move up and down so they used a box to prop it up.
They were able to give me a CT scan and I had x-rays too.
Thank god we had medical insurance, never leave home without it. My total costs were about
$5000.00 and Im sure I'll get it all back. Keep all your paperwork. The young lady at the front desk of the hospital is very attentive. At first you have to sign for every charge, but once I was booked in they just ran a tab. The took about $3000.00 first thing and then I was refunded for the portion I didn't use. Make sure you have a high limit on at least one of your credit cards, otherwise I don't know what you'd do.
I ended up discharging myself out of the hospital against Dr's orders once we knew we had no other options of flying home. All the hotels were fully booked with Christmas coming and I have no idea where we would have stayed.
At first I said I would never go away again, I have since changed my mind. Its a good thing your brain forgets the pain. We love to travel and this is the first time we've ever had to use our medical insurance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ontariobeachbummin
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, we hope you have a full recovery. On the other hand, we would like to thank you for your heartwarming review. We take pride in our reputation of providing our guests with the best amenities, best in service and the best value for money. So it is motivating to our entire team when we read reviews like yours.

It was an honor to be able to serve you and we hope that you will not hesitate to return in the near future to our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, a 5 star experience in the Carribbean.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We went with another couple. So what I didn't like: The time share people hound you constantly, they do not leave you alone. Everywhere you go they are there, the lobby, the beach, the pool you just can't get away from them.
I was really disappointed in the attitude of the staff. I have been to Jamaica before and this was not my experience last time. (Different resort) The staff were very unfriendly at this resort with an exception of a few. The staff looked like they were miserable working there. The bar tenders not so friendly and some staff were falling asleep at their jobs.
We were never given towels and had to call the front desk several times for towels. The maid walked into our room twice and never knocked. I was dressing the one time. Grounds men asked us for money and cigarettes.
The wine sucks.
We went to the Italian restaurant and the services was horrible, the food undercooked and it was part buffet (which was kinda disappointing) The waiter never said two words to us or acknowledged us when we spoke to him.
Entertainment: sucked...for such a big resort there was hardly any entertainment. Nothing on the beach what so ever. At one of the pool bars there was entertainment but it was the same thing everyday. the evening show didn't start until 9:45 (which I find late) The shows were good but they were over by 11 pm
If you wanted late night entertainment, the disco and karaoke bar were open till 2 am but the smell of sewage was so bad that we didn't even last 5 minutes and never went back. Again really disappointing for such a big resort.
We were on level one between the main lobby and the plaza where the night entertainment is. It was so noisy at night. Everyone walks that hallway and it's loud as were the people. They really need to have someone supervising the hallway.

What was good: Everything else...the food was great We did the buffet, beach snack bar, the Japanese restaurant, the steak restaurant and the Italian restaurant. All was good except the Italian restaurant.
There is a second buffet (adults only) which you can go to for breakfast and supper. It is smaller and much nicer. Once we found it, we continued to go there. It's past the big buffet by the exclusive only section. You get your own waiter/waitress and the food is better. There was hardly ever anyone there. One night for supper we were the only people in the whole room.
The beach bar is awesome, great staff and food. that is where you can find the jerk chicken. The staff was very entertaining and sometimes there was a steel drum band. We went there for lunch every day!
The good beach is a bit of a walk but it is wonderful. Lots of fish in the water, white sand and you can walk way out. There are two bars on the beach.
The pool was big, dirty but big. Hard to get a spot sometimes.
The rooms were very clean, they refresh your fridge everyday and it's included. The bed was good and I didn't find the bed uncomfortable.
We took a cab into ochos rios with no problem. We went to the flea market and the mall across from it. The flea market can be pushy but they were mostly polite and just wanted you to look at their things. **Don't make promises to look at their things and barter with them...they will come down in price. Way cheaper then at the hotel!! Also don't fall for their lines as they all say the same lines you will learn quickly!!!
This resort was mostly Canadians!! You can tip but they don't expect it. (At the resort)
Would I ever go back to this resort? "NO" mostly because of the time share people. I found that I was avoiding certain places in the resort because they hung out there. I did not pay all that money to go on a vacation to be harassed by the staff, every single day. And they want me to give up one day of my vacation to listen to their sales pitch so I can have a free bag of things...Very disappointing!!

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the first floor, very noisy and loud.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jeni S

Dear Jeni,

Thank you for letting us know your impression about your stay at our Hotel. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed our, wonderful beach, swimming pool, amenities and overall our great food. However, we regret not being able to meet your expectations, we hope you accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you've experienced.
We would like to inform you that we have noted your comments to take it into consideration and measures will be taken where needed it.

We wish you all the best on your future travels but at the same time we sincerely hope that you will afford us with another opportunity to serve you and regain your confidence in us.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Excellent service, variety of food and things to do, beaches are nice, but not the prettiest. Staff is what made the trip so memorable. Restaurants have a variety to choose from. Super clean resort with maids always asking you if everything is okay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shana P
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Shana,

We are proud to hear that we have played such an integral role for providing you a fantastic holiday during your stay. Your comments about our excellent service, cuisine and overall the warmth and helpful staff meant a lot to our team who are always doing their best to provide our guests with a wonderful vacation experience.

Thank you for vacationing with us; we are looking forward to host you again soon in our Grand Bahia principe Jamaica, all inclusive Hotel in the Caribbean.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I spent 1 week at the Bahia in early February. We travel often and this is our 4th Bahia Principe resort we have been to. We love the Bahia chain and no what to expect and are never disappointed.
We upgraded to the Club Golden (as we always do) through Air Transat. I emailed the resort ahead of time asking for the top floor, ocean view and the corner room with the huge balconies. They met our requests and we weren't disappointed.
The GOOD:
Beautiful clean resort with well appointed rooms. Fairly large but had no issues with getting around anywhere. We like to walk and take in the scenery. Unless you have major mobility issues it isn't a problem
Great friendly staff who go out of their way to be helpful.
Many activities, evening musical entertainment near the main lobby bar as well and the Pueblo at night.
No people bothering you on the beach selling their wares.
Upbeat and fun atmosphere.
Lots of Canadians at this resort
Great food at buffet and restaurants. Our favourite was the Don Pablo Gourmet restaurant.
With Club Golden you get room service from a "light" menu, robe, slippers and pool towels in your room upon arrival and free in room safe
Great housekeeping, bar and restaurant staff
Huge pools at the perfect temperature
No problem booking ala carte restaurants with the Club Golden staff
Jerk Chicken at the beach buffet....Fabulous!
A few staff that made our trip great, Marvin at the Main Buffet, Gregory from the main pool bar. Richard and Dave from the quieter pool bar and Gerrick at the Beach bar.
The NOT SO GOOD:
The Beach was bit of a disappointment. We are beach people and it is very small. One side is all rocky with small pebbles instead of sand. This was supposed to be the snorkeling area.
There is another sandy beach which is nice but very small. No long walks on this beach.
The snorkeling was a waste of time. I think we saw one fish and went out 3 times. We should have left our gear at home.
Horrible bed pillows, either totally flat or lumpy
Room service took 2 hours one time but they were very apologetic and offered to bring us a bottle of wine
Pushy time share people are a pain but since we realized who they were right away (after being at other Bahia's) we stopped them in their tracks right away.
Wi-Fi only in the lobby and only 1 hour a day. In this day in age there should be Wi-Fi everywhere and unlimited. I would have been willing to pay a small fee for Wi-Fi in my room.
Table wine is horrible. Don't bother ordering the house wine if you are a wine drinker, it is like vinegar. Pay for a decent bottle of good wine, they have a good wine list.

There is so much more I could add to this review but it would take too long! LOL
Overall we really liked it and loved the staff and people of Jamaica. Have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors and a corner room with the large balconies.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stacy M

Dear Guest,

We are delighted reading your comments, and happy to learn that once again we did not disappoint you; enjoying our room view, entertainments, and delicious food especially at our Don Pablo restaurant and our Jerk Chicken Center. We also noted your comments, which we have already discussed with our team.
Thank you for your remarks; we will be more than happy to host you again on your upcoming vacation to our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, a 5 star experience in the Caribbean.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Grand Bahia Principe from Jan. 31-Feb. 7. It was our first time to an all inclusive and we loved it! Jamaica is beautiful & the people are so laid back and friendly!

The resort itself is beautiful. Quite large. We were in room 17309, it was huge with a beautiful view of the beach and mountains behind the resort. The bed was ok, could have used more blankets (but we like a lot of blankets!). Overall pretty quiet. When we first arrived in our room there were no towels but we called the front desk and by later that night a pile of towels had been put in our room!

The food was great! My husband is pretty picky and he never went hungry! We went to the buffet most of the time as the selection was huge and we could all find something we liked. We did go the The Grille which was also very good! For lunch we always went to the beach buffet to get jerk chicken, yum!

Entertainment was great from what we watched. Mostly we just entertained ourselves. I liked the shops on the resort!

The only negative thing I can say about this resort was that the beach wasn't great. I'm a beach person and when I think of Carribean I think long, sandy beaches. The beach is a fair size but there is a large section that's washing away. They had a retaining wall and caution tape up. The sand by the water is nice and soft but the rest of the sand is rocky and seems to be lacking. They could make it a lot better if they brought in a bunch of sand.

Overall, I would return but now that we have the travel bug we want to go everywhere! ;)

Room Tip: Section 17/18 are close to the beach on one side and pool/buffet on the other, excellent location.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Katie,

Thank you for your heartwarming review; we are very pleased to know that we were chosen to have for your first experience in an all inclusive Hotel providing you with a great time. Thank you for your acknowledgement words about the beauty of our Hotel, delicious food, and the entertainment.

It was our pleasure to host you and we will be always waiting for you return to our property.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Went there in November 2012, the place is excellent, so many choices of a la carte, all very good, no problem with food there. beach beautiful but not seven mile beach. The rooms are awesome and service is great. Lots of stairs and walking though but its exercise. Did not encounter any problem there at all. Such a beautiful place. Need taxi if you want to go out not walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fussy12

Dear Guest,

Please accept cordial greetings from the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

We are elated with your words, letting us know that you have enjoyed your vacation with us, we would like you to know that it is our intention to make each and every moment memorable.

It was a pleasure to meet you and we are look forward to host you here again in your best Hotel in Jamaica.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed at this same resort in the Dominican and it was equally nice. Check in was very efficient and we absolutely loved our room. Very spacious and the view was great. We faced the pool but had a nice view of the ocean yet were close to the entertainment. Our maid service was excellent. Food in the Japanese and Don Pablos restaurants were excellent. The meal at the Italian restaurant was awful. The pre-meal buffet was good but we couldn't even eat our main course. Too bad because the setting was beautiful. The Friday night seafood buffet was excellent.

Room Tip: The corner rooms had a very large balcony. We faced the pool yet still had a nice view of the ocean...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank L0rRN

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. It is good to know that you have had a great vacation experience in our Resort as well as you have enjoyed our great room view, and our excellent cuisine at our Japanese and Don Pablo Restaurant.

Your comments about our service meant a lot to our team. Thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you soon.

Yours faithfully,

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!