“7 days of awesomeness”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Thunder Bay, Canada
“7 days of awesomeness”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed the week of March 1st 2014 to attend a wedding. We were very impressed with this resort! Everything was clean, the rooms, the grass, trees, pool, beach. Food was excellent, buffet was different each night and very tasty. The a la carts were delicious and classy as well. The drinks were delicious. The jerk chicken at the snack shack was amazing!! Staff was very pleasant and helpful, everyone had a smile on their face and said hello when we passed. We had a ground floor room which was convienent. The resort is huge so plan on doing alot of walking! We did 3 excursions.. Dunns river falls, Cool Runnings Catamaran, and Mystic Mountain (bobsled and zip lining) all were fabulous. Awesome resort, would recommend to everyone!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are faster and easier to get too since the resort is huge.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank bjanderson1
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Guest,

It is rewarding to see that we were able to impress you with our services and amenities, as well as our friendly and professional staff.

Thank you for your comments and for your words of praise. We are more than happy for your recommendation to other possible guests and are already looking forward to host you again on your upcoming trip to Jamaica.

Yours faithfully,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,139)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner have just got back from a 2 week stay at this hotel and it was lovely but the hotel was just to big for us you don't get the personnel touch u never see the same waiter twice and the buffet was just to busy all in all a great holiday would defo go back to Jamaica just not this hotel

Keeley and James

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keeley31
Dear Keeley and James,

It was a pleasure for us being your hosts during your recently vacation, providing you a great stay.

Thank you for comments about our lovely property and for vacationing with us.

Warm regards,

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were at this resort for our wedding on March 3, 2014. We had an absolutely amazing time and our 45 guests did as well. Wedding co-ordinators were great and really know what they're doing. The wedding turned out exactly as we hoped for. All managers and staff took care of all our guests and made our stay enjoyable. We had Chris Lee as our photographer and he was the best, all of our guests loved him and our pictures turned out amazing. We highly recommend getting married at this resort. Its big and has something for everyone. Close to Dunns River Falls (30 min drive) and other excursions which was great. Pool area was very big and we never had an issue finding empty seats. There's a pool area if you want to party and a pool area if you want to relax. The main beach to the left is huge and absolutely gorgeous, the water is crystal clear. There is a second beach near the gazebo which is manmade and isn't that great, but its nice and close and offers a place to relax. The food was fantastic and had countless number of options. Our last night there the Resort lost power for a few hours due to a car accident up the road. It was unexpected but the resort could not have handled it better. Like they say in Jamaica, no problems, only situations! They did their best to ensure everyone was comfortable and safe, and left the buffets open by candlelight. We had a lobster dinner on the beach booked for that night ($100 per couple) and were pleased to find out it was not cancelled! It was the by far the best meal we have had at any resort, definitely worth the extra money.
We can't say enough good things about this resort. You can expect a fair amount of walking because of the size, but it's not really noticeable because the resort is parallel to the beach, you're never far away from the ocean. We enjoyed the exercise! We had guests staying in all areas of the resort, no one had any complaints and all had an amazing view!
Overall fantastic resort and we will definitely return in the future!

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are furthest away from the night entertainment and are the most quiet. Junio...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Gary L
Dear Gary,

We are very happy reading your comments about our Hotel and a great pleasure to know we were able to provide you and your invited guests an unforgettable experience. Thanks for letting us know the services you have most enjoyed during your stay, our Lobster Dinner on the beach.

Looking forward to host you again in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica your best Hotel in the Caribbean, where you can live memories that will last forever.

Yours faithfully,

Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Travelled Feb 26-March 5th. Booked this through itravel2000 as just the standard junior suite. However, after reading many reviews on Trip Advisor for both the Bahia Principe Jamaica and the Luxury Bahia Principe Jamaica I became really worried that an upgrade to the Luxury Don Pablo was needed to get the basic services we would have expected that would be standard at most resorts. I had read issues about lack of towels, and beach towels and having to pay for room safes amongst other complaints so I upgraded us out of fear. (so heads up people don’t put too much weight (or fear) on the (minor) complaints that people write, and don’t let them affect your thoughts or worry you before arriving to this beautiful resort.)
I will recommend that you do exactly this if you want to upgrade however, I bought the upgrade directly through the Luxury Don Pablo frontdeskluxurydpcbpjam@bahia-principe.com)
and was far more reasonable ($350 for the two of us for the week) than booking it as part of a set package with Sunquest or Air Transat etc.

A week before arriving Sanita in Luxury Don Pablo (LDP)lounge emailed me to ask what dinner reservations we wanted. Because I had booked my LDP upgrade directly through the resort
they had my email on file. Note for those who booked the LDP Collection through their tour company, try emailing the lounge a week or so before arrival with your requests (frontdeskluxurydpcbpjam@bahia-principe.com). Upon arrival all of our requests were done and reservations for times and places were as we had requested.
Our room was also exactly what we had requested, but on hindsight after perusing the Trip Advisor site many said to request the higher floors in building 24. But for those going, building 23 higher floors is still the Adult Exclusive area and they had a totally gorgeous view of the ocean and pool. Our room was in building 24 - 6th floor, albeit garden & ocean view and got morning sunrise, but the street noise was unbelievable all night and early morning. We did not ask to be moved because for the amount of time we actually spent in our room, we lived with the noise. We did have an issue with our safe when we arrived and it took two phone calls our first night to get someone to come by and fix but that was the only minor issue we had the entire week.
Our room itself was beautiful and huge. A special thanks to Donnette, and our night maid for the amazing care they took with our room. The lovely towel art and the fact that Donnette knew our names at the get go is such a nice personal touch. When she saw us in the morning she would always call us by name. What a lovely girl and I loved the little notes she would leave for us every day. Outstanding service Donnette!!
Being environmentally conscious we only placed our towels in the jacuzzi tub when needed to be replaced, and hung our towels to dry when they didn’t need to be replaced.
People need to be concerned about the amount of towels used at a resort this size, really you are coming out of the shower CLEAN, you aren’t dirtying a towel.
Maybe if people reused their towel more than once or twice, the so called towel shortage wouldn’t exist. Personally we never had a towel issue or facecloth issue at all.
The mini bar was always stocked with “lots” of Caribe and Miller Lite and water. I had requested this on our first day and they took care of it every day. Well done!!
If I had one complaint that would be the bed and pillows. The bed is so rock hard our back would ache throughout the night and we slept terribly, (probably explains why we heard the street noise). The pillows are skinny little flat things. We never realized how bad the bed was until we arrived home and back into our own bed.

We loved that there is an adults-only buffet Palmyra and Picasso where we ate breakfast daily and a couple dinners. Special thanks to Damion in the Palmyra who was there to serve us every morning with a smile and ensure our Mimosas were topped up!! We had dinner at the Garden Grill, my favourite because of the atmosphere, the restaurant itself, and the food. We both had the chef special of beef tenderloin and shrimp, absolutely outstanding meal, best steak I’ve had in ages (even being Canadian) and was cooked exactly to our request. Service too was fabulous. We ate at Don Pablo, I had the chateaubriand and hubby had the Prince & Princess (steak and shrimp). Portions were so enormous that we could not finish our meal. We skipped dessert as we were both stuffed. Japanese Teppanaki show cooking was great fun, so much food again and so delish. Deep fried ice cream at the finish put us over the top, time to loosen the belts. Lunch at the Jerk Centre was outstanding. Jerk chicken and festivals are my new favourite. At first we weren’t sure where the Jerk Centre was, so when you go into Piccis snack bar on your way to the beach (behind Dolce Vita), keep walking past the hot buffet section and you will see the Jerk Centre sign above with set of stairs going down to the water where there is more seating, this is where the Jerk Chicken is, we met several people who after several days couldn’t find it but once we told them where it was they too were in heaven.
I guess my only thing about the ala cartes is we met loads of people who couldn’t get into the ala cartes which we didn’t understand. They would be told they are totally booked up for the week. Yet in all of them, except the Japanese which is jammed packed every night, these restaurants sit virtually empty every night. We didn’t understand why they don’t take walk ups as I suspect many people never showed for their reservations. We were in the Don Pablo and there had to be maybe 8 tables full, the rest sat empty, and the restaurant is enormous, same with The Garden Grill.

The beach is ok, man-made however and not long by any means and if you are looking for long beach walks, not happening. However we plunked ourselves down daily in the LDP section and Tamara k took care of us. What an attentive server, she was there every time our drink was emptied. Outstanding service once again! BTW the Dirty Bananas are awesome.

Never once did I see or was stopped by the infamous ‘timeshare’ people in our entire week. We aren’t even sure who these famous people were…haha! I started to wonder if it was because of the color of our bracelet and this is why they didn’t jump out at us, maybe they don’t bother those from LDP?? I really don’t know but honestly never saw a single person.

I didn’t like that I’d still have to play the towel game if I wanted a spot by the LDP Adult pool or general pool, so we didn’t bother with the pool till later in the day and even then it was tough to get a spot. I did get up at 6:30am on our last morning knowing I’d have to play the towel game to get a spot at the LDP Adults Pool and when I got there 90% of the spots were already taken. That is just insane in my opinion especially when I went back at 7:30am to read, and I sat and watched and by 11am many of the chairs were still empty with towels on them,
and people no where to be seen. By the beach never once did I have to worry about getting up at the crack of dawn to get a spot either in LDP section or anywhere for the matter.

For those who complained about the amount of walking or the size of the resort, honestly we did not think it was that big, we have been to far bigger resorts, Moon Palace, Palladium in Mayan Riveria, Barcelo Cayo Santa Maria, now those are HUGE resorts and a lot of walking. Besides with all the really amazing, and probably some of the best food we’ve ever had at an AI, the little bit of walking was good.

From the time we arrived till we left the service in the Luxury Don Pablo (LDP), and actually throughout the entire resort it was truly outstanding, probably the best service we have ever had.
The staff, all of them, and far too many names to remember, really go out of their way to ensure that all is “irie”. I have never been anywhere to the Caribbean where all the staff
are just so friendly, never a frown to be seen.
Would we upgrade to LDP again, we aren’t sure, we loved being in an adults only section and didn’t have to endure the enormous, noisy, and line up at food stations, buffets. Maybe because we didn’t use all the services offered by LDP we didn’t really see the value in the upgrade. This is probably because the service we received, even outside of the LDP area, was top notch.

I think the complaints people have about this place whether in LDP or the regular sections are simply unjustified. I saw pictures and read complaints about the rooms being worn, cracks in the walls etc. (which I never saw). You are in the salty hot humid Caribbean that gets hit with tropical storms and hurricanes, which is just as hard on the buildings as snow and salt is to our cars in Canada. You have a resort that probably hosts up to 2000+ guests a week, which is a lot of wear and tear on a place. There are hundreds of staff going around all day and night to ensure the place is spotless and freshening up the paint, making the lawns and gardens immaculate and spectacular. I want to say to all the whiners and complainers, stay home if a few little minor cracks or paint chips are going to ruin your vacation. All in all we had a wonderful holiday away from this horrendous winter we are having so everything is IRIE! Would we go back not likely, but not because of the resort, because we never go back to the same resort twice, we just feel there are just too many hidden gems out there and we like to experience a new place every year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beachgirl6533
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest,

We are enchanted reading your honest review and very happy to read that we were able to provide you an unforgettable vacation.
On behalf of our team, we thank you for your kind words. It was our pleasure to serve you and we sincerely hope you wouldn’t hesitate to return to us on your upcoming vacations to our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, a 5 star experience in the Caribbean.

Warmest regards,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Went down for a family wedding,,,customer service especially at the front desk very poor. Only had face clothes for 2 days,, air conditioning not working well, mini fridge dead on arrival. Whole resort lost power on 2 consecutive afternoons for a few hours but in all fairness to the resort, we heard there had been a traffic accident which wiped out a pole carrying the line. With a few notable exceptions, staff not very accomodating.

Staff members asked me several times to bum a smoke,, never had that happen before at any resort I have been too..

Over all, decent food but a la carte system a joke,, reservations are pre-booked at ridiculous times and difficult to change. Thankfully buffet was decent. Towel policy also a joke.

Rooms are dated, furniture old and tired even in Don Pablo. Some main areas very nice. Some signs of maintenance neglect in and on building...paint peeling, cracks in ceiling in my room, mold on exterior woodwork in some areas.

Overall, I suppose good value for money but not a 4 or 5 star as some have noted,, not compared to Sandals or Secrets Preferred in Jamaica.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin C
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Kevin,

From the bottom of our heart we would like you to know that we feel very unhappy to see that you left disappointed with the service provided by our staff, since our goal is to provide our guests with the ultimate vacation experience. Please, accept our sincerest apologies for not meeting all your expectations; we assured you that we will certainly be looking into the service you have received.

Please, allow us kindly to inform our guests that we are undertaking improvements of our facilities as we are cognizant that the quality is of utmost importance as well as the comfort of our guests.

We look forward to serving you again in our property to regain your trust in us.

Our warmest regards,

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hotel is nice also the beach and poolside.
They do not have enough towels for the guests either in the rooms or at the pool side.
They run out of towels by 8AM and the rooms do not have fresh towels until 6pm
Also we had a group of 30 people and all 8 rooms were single and king size beds with rollaway even though we all requested two double beds. They do not have many rooms with double beds and the staff at the front desk are not accommodating at all.

Room Tip: I would choose a room by the beach, otherwise a long walk over.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Usha P
Dear Guest,

The fulfillment of our guest’s expectation is our main objective. From the bottom of our heart we we can assure you that we feel very unhappy to know that we could not totally impressed you with our services, since we strive daily in our performance to provide our guest an enjoyable stay.
On the other hand we are taking note of the areas that were not up to par of your expectations to take it into consideration, which will help us to ensure that we maintain the level of service expected.

Thank you for your feedback, and we will be more than happy to host you again to regain your trust in us.

Cordial greetings,

gatineau
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel from March 1st to 8th. It was a air canada vacation departing from Ottawa Canada. It's 60 min from the airport to the hotel non stop. We hired a private transfer for our group of 22. Upon check in my husband and I who were travelling with our 4 children and my mother were told that they didn't have any connecting rooms for us. To make matter worse it was in a different building and different floor! We spoke to the manager and did everything, our kids are 4,8,10 and 14 so we needed the connecting room. The manager told us to come back the next day and they will give us connecting rooms. My mom stayed with 2 oldest of the kids in a 2 double beds room and sofa bed(room 16407) and my husband, myself and the 2 youngest stayed in 15501 (king size and sofa bed). The next day we were told that we would not be able to have connecting rooms and the best we could do is to move my husband and I 2 doors down from my mom and the other kids in 16401...the room is located right next to an elevator and both that room and the room that my mom was staying had an amazing ocean view but the nightmare started every night at 945pm for the nightly show until 207am when people where leaving the disco. We could actually see the dancers from our balconies heart every single words of the music playing in the disco. It was awful. We asked to be moved and they refused. At this point the hotel was overbooked and people were being transferred upon checking at the Riu Montego Bay and the grand palladium. Since we were a party of 22 we just all sucked it up and stayed. To make matter worse the last 2 nights around supper time there was power outages for about 2 hrs and no water. So we couldn't even shower and were late for dinner. They also prebooked our specialty restaurant reservations and told us we could just talk to the lady at the front to switch, which we tried, and after waiting in line for over an hour, we were all told that their computers were down and we had to comeback the next day. We were furious. We tried the steakhouse restaurant "the grill" and it the steak was terrible. Potatoes looked a few days old. We ate at the buffet for the remainder of our stay. One of the couple that we went with tried the restaurant"Don Pablo" and said it was very good. The food overall was just "okay" in our opinion. One night at the buffet it was sea food night and they had lobster and all. It was very good! The beach was okay. When you go further down at the very end just before the nude beach the water there is more shallow and better for small kids and lots of fishes (bring your snorkelling gear), although 3 people got stung by jelly fishes there on our last day, 2 of them were children. I wouldn't go back to this hotel, we stayed at the grand palladium before and it was by far better. The bahia principe is 30 min from Ocho Rios and a bit more than 2 hrs away to Negril (margaritaville and ricks cafe). Any questions feel free to ask.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank momdad5kids
Dear Guest,

Our guests' opinion is very important to us, that’s why, we deeply sorry that you left not totally happy and we do apologize for all the issues you have let us know about; However, kindly note that, as the great majority of the resorts, the room requests are not guarantee and its fulfillment is based only on the availability upon arrival, as it depends of different factors. Nevertheless, you must have realized that we did our best accommodating you two doors down from your mother and with a wonderful ocean view.

On the other hand, we would like to inform our guests that unfortunately, we suffered a breakdown in the electrical system which was beyond our control. Our Maintenance Department started working immediately to effectively restore the power. We sincerely apologize for all inconveniences that were caused to you, our valid guests.

Looking forward to host you again to recover your trust in us.

Yours, respectfully,

Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!