“9 days too long.”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
“9 days too long.”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I just came back from a 9 day vacation. At the time I thought 9 days seemed like a great idea, I was wrong. The resort is beautiful, very large but everything was within walking distance. Besides, you need to burn some calories after eating so much lol. The buffets were average, they were better in GBP Coba.

We got to the resort around 12 but our room wasnt ready until 3. We walked around and had jerk chicken at the snack bar. It was alright, the sauces were spicy and delicious. The a la carte restaurants were terrible, besides don pablo. Makaido - the Japanese restaurant was better in Mexico. The service was horrible. I feel as if some of the staff were really snobby or gave of a negative vibe. At the buffets the servers would show you to your table ans NEVER show up again. Only when you leave your money on the table, then they appear. This is something I hate about Jamaica. EVERYONE is so money hungry. They expect a tip and give you attitude when you dony tip. We literally tipped everyone, even if they did a bad job, I felt guilty. We tipped our made $4 American the first day and found a swan made out of a towel and face towels. The next day, our rooms were spotless, we like to clean ourselves, so we tipped $2. To my surprise we had no animal, no face towels and our fridge wasnt stocked. This made me very frustrated. This madr me realize how most of the Jamaicans are, especially in town. Very aggressive. Demanding a tip. "Leave me a tip".

The entertainment was really boring.
I had a special request for my girlfriend's birthday and they provided a cake at one of the a la carte restuaraunts. The highlight of my trip was watching the Raptor's game on tv. The beaches were nothing special, man made. Many rocks.
Pool was nice and big, didnt have a problem getting towels or finding chairs, unless they're under the shade of course.

On our last day, our we were having plumbing issues. I called the front desk and they said maintitence will be up shortly. 2 hours later nothing. So I called again. I told them that we have been waiting for 2 hours and they sent someone right away. I understand when youre in jamaica their model is no problem. When our toilet doesn't flush, its a big problem.

Most of the bartenders and servers were really friendly. They seemed very positive. Which improved our mood.

We took a photo shoot out the resort, the photos are amazing. Sunet and all. We had a nice conversation with her( I forgot her name) about what she thought about the resort. She said it doesn't feel like jamaica. She said even though everyone loves the jerk chicken at the snack bar, it wasn't authentic. To me it tasted like bbq chicken. She was telling us about the national dish ackee and salt fish, which wasn't good at the buffet. To be honest, I didn't feel like I was in Jamaica. Then again she reminded me that Grand bahia Prinicipe is a mexican hotel. It made sense now. We didn't even have red strip beer in our fridge. We had Carib beer.

All in all I would rate this resort a 3.5 out of 5
The people were friendly. It didn't feel like I was in jamaica.

I will never be back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jack B
Customer Servic... B, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear guest,

We are very disappointed to know that we could not reach your expectations with our performance. Certainly , our guest satisfaction is our main goal and we are very sorry for any inconvenience cause. Please note that your concerns have been address to our Management and on their behalf and our staff members ,we would like to extend our most sincere apologies.

We sincerely hope you could give to us the opportunity to host you again in your next visit to this wonderful paradise here in Jamaica.

Yours faithfully,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,111)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Montreal
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was my second time staying at the hotel and just like the first I thought it was fantastic. Food was great and service was good. BUT, this time I went was a little different, the first time I was with my boyfriend so I wasn't bothered by the staff trying to hit on me, this summer I went with a friend of mine and girls let me tell you, if you have a little meat on your bones like I do, the Jamaicans will LOVE you. My friend is just skin and bones so they didnt bother her as much as they bothered me. I'm very open-minded especially since I know how the Jamaicans are so I tried not to let it bother me that much, but when i'm laying in the shade because my chest is burned, its really uncomfortable opening my eyes and seeing one of the life guards standing over me telling me he wants to kiss my burns away...
I really do not want to say anything else negative about this place because I feel the resort it self was perfect just very big but so are all Gran Bahias. Just be careful with the staff in that way thats all. Someone of them joke around which i am fine with, but some are serious. They will try to get you to go to parties with them off the resort DON'T GO!

Room Tip: try to get Royal Golden. Depending what wholesaler you buy with you get better views from your room...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sarah C
Dear guest,

We sincerely hope you had a safe trip back home.

Thank you so much for sharing with us your concerns which have been already address to our Department's Heads to take the corrective measures to ensure this incident does not cause further inconvenience.

We hope ,beside this event, you enjoyed your vacations with us and have the pleasure to host you again in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Very nice resort. No a/c in dinning areas makes for some uncomfortable dinners, but overall a nice experience. Stay away from the Garden Cafe (not very good). Don Pablo restaurant is excellent.The pillows on the beds are not good, but still worth going to this hotel.

Room Tip: Have your lunches at the jerk chicken hut...be advised that there is no air conditioning in the dinn...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ross M
Dear guest,

We are very happy to know that we provided you a delightful stay and you enjoyed our services , especially our Gourmet Don Pablo Restaurant.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and we hope to see you soon.

Yours faithfully,

ontario canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

The resort was awesome the food was awesome and the people or so nice and friendly I literally spent hours talking to the security and resort workers while I was drunk lol and they were more than willing to talk you didnt get the sense they didn't want you there especially dwayne burton one of the security guards there one of the most amazing most sincere nicest person to talk to cant wait to go back to visit him and the others I met there

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank colleenscanlan
Customer Servic... B, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your kind comments about our hotel.
On behalf of the entire team at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica again we appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Jamaica.

Vail, Colorado
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I would like to start off with I never write reviews, never! However, after staying at this resort I knew I would write a review. Let me start with, at the airport DO NOT exchange your money for Jamaica money. Basically, not knowing, I turned in $200 in American money and got back $170 in Jamaica money. That was the only negative of the trip. Everywhere takes American money, actually, everything is priced in American money, keepy your American dollors. The hotel is about an hour by bus and goes by quick. Once you arrive, to paradise, the adventure begins. My friend and I were looking for a relazing vacation and did we find it. We checked in, our room was huge and our air conditioner worked fine. We made it in time to go to the buffet for dinner, and the food to my surprise was excellent. I've done all inclusive before and it feels usually the venue cuts corners with the food. Our we met our waiter, Andre, the first night and would sit in his section our remaining nights at the buffet. I would suggest developing that relationship with one server. Everynight when we would arrive he would remember our drink orders and have them waiting. Excellent service! I'm in Food and Beverage, so I can be a little more judmental than the normal person, and this is some of the best service I have ever received. The next day was a pool and pool bar kind of day for us. As we were laying out a man came over and gave us a fresh coconut. So cool! Lunch at the grill was great! Again, wonderful service. Dinner again at the buffet and this time we had the energy to go check out the nightclub, sports bar and karoke bar. ALL FUN! The entertainment staff does a great job. The next day we ventured out to explore the property beaches, where we spend the next 3 days lounging on the beautiful white sand beaches. And the ocean water is WARM! Somewhere along the trip we both hit complete relaxation and happiness. Part of our package, we got to have 2 meals at the sit down service venues. Again, amazing food and service! I should also mention we went to the spa two days. This was the only place where the price shocked me. Be prepared to pay $100 for a 50 minute massage, but hey, it's vacation, right. The hotel also, has it's own tourist shops, so no need to even leave the hotel for gifts. Although, I'm sure some souviners could be found cheaper off property. Bottom line-this was the best vacation I've ever had! I have never gone to a place twice, I like to travel and have new opportunity but for the price, service, amazing food, warm ocean water, white sand beaches, nightlife, large hotel room, etc. I see myself going back very soon. 5 stars! 2 thumbs up! Absolutly, loved the Grand Bahia, and the staff. I'll end with this, Can't Wait To Go Back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jillian S
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your feedback. We are happy to see that we have achieved this time with you. We look forward to welcome you back to our Resort.

Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2014

April 2014 30 of us went to gran Bahia Jamaica for a wedding. The resort is big and a lot of walking but a wonderful place. Lots of chairs around the pool and at the beach. The food is excellent and jerk chicken shack is fantastic. Staff were friendly and helpful. We were checked in on the bus with a package with our room keys which saved a lot of time when we arrived because it was 10 at night and kids were tired from traveling since noon. Rooms were big, and clean, I had 2double beds, couch, table and chairs, large balcony with table and chairs, large bathroom had shower, jet tub, sink and vanity and toilet all separate. I was 18517 golden club, great view of ocean, only thing was air conditioning worked off and on, but didn't spend a lot of time in our room, a lot of people in our group had problem with the air con and the night of the wedding dinner there was none at the restaurant, very hot!
The wedding co ordination was great, a few little mix ups. The only thing major was she had booked the gazebo for her reception and they double booked so she was the one for some reason who didn't get it even though it was booked a year in advance, they gave her the karaoke bar, the only good thing I can say about that was it had air con. Not romantic at all, no wedding decorations, they did their dance, garter, bouquet toss and we left. She got some of her money back which was good. We went and sent off 20 Chinese lanterns, that was beautiful!
All the kids young and old loved the snorkeling by the beach, we also went on some excursions.
Dolphin cove for the kids, loved it and Bob Marley tour for the adults, loved it but had to have a nap when I got back to resort, lol
My brother had 14202 and he overlooked lush gardens, it was also beautiful, he had great air con all week, had some ants in sink but that was taken care of with bug spray,
For some reason my toilet backed up while we were out, thank goodness it didn't overflow, I called and they said they would send someone up, I fell asleep waiting but when I called at 6am when I got up, they sent someone right away.
Went to spa and had a deep tissue massage, fantastic!
Overall a great place and would go back again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

First of all hope you had a nice trip back home and we are very grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us. Our guest’s feedback always helps us to improve our service. We hope you could give us the chance to host you again in the near future.

Runaway Bay
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I would recommend this hotel for a family or couple's holiday. My only complaint is that we should not be charged for a safe in our bedroom. Also the grill restaurant was not great; not authentic enough and closed too early.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Vivienne W
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind suggestions and recommendations regarding our performance and safe box service that can help us to be better and reach our main goal, our guest’s satisfaction.

In the name of our General Manager and staff , we would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort and we hope to see you very soon in our property.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
#26 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!