My girlfriend and I just came back from a 9 day vacation. At the time I thought 9 days seemed like a great idea, I was wrong. The resort is beautiful, very large but everything was within walking distance. Besides, you need to burn some calories after eating so much lol. The buffets were average, they were better in GBP Coba.
We got to the resort around 12 but our room wasnt ready until 3. We walked around and had jerk chicken at the snack bar. It was alright, the sauces were spicy and delicious. The a la carte restaurants were terrible, besides don pablo. Makaido - the Japanese restaurant was better in Mexico. The service was horrible. I feel as if some of the staff were really snobby or gave of a negative vibe. At the buffets the servers would show you to your table ans NEVER show up again. Only when you leave your money on the table, then they appear. This is something I hate about Jamaica. EVERYONE is so money hungry. They expect a tip and give you attitude when you dony tip. We literally tipped everyone, even if they did a bad job, I felt guilty. We tipped our made $4 American the first day and found a swan made out of a towel and face towels. The next day, our rooms were spotless, we like to clean ourselves, so we tipped $2. To my surprise we had no animal, no face towels and our fridge wasnt stocked. This made me very frustrated. This madr me realize how most of the Jamaicans are, especially in town. Very aggressive. Demanding a tip. "Leave me a tip".
The entertainment was really boring.
I had a special request for my girlfriend's birthday and they provided a cake at one of the a la carte restuaraunts. The highlight of my trip was watching the Raptor's game on tv. The beaches were nothing special, man made. Many rocks.
Pool was nice and big, didnt have a problem getting towels or finding chairs, unless they're under the shade of course.
On our last day, our we were having plumbing issues. I called the front desk and they said maintitence will be up shortly. 2 hours later nothing. So I called again. I told them that we have been waiting for 2 hours and they sent someone right away. I understand when youre in jamaica their model is no problem. When our toilet doesn't flush, its a big problem.
Most of the bartenders and servers were really friendly. They seemed very positive. Which improved our mood.
We took a photo shoot out the resort, the photos are amazing. Sunet and all. We had a nice conversation with her( I forgot her name) about what she thought about the resort. She said it doesn't feel like jamaica. She said even though everyone loves the jerk chicken at the snack bar, it wasn't authentic. To me it tasted like bbq chicken. She was telling us about the national dish ackee and salt fish, which wasn't good at the buffet. To be honest, I didn't feel like I was in Jamaica. Then again she reminded me that Grand bahia Prinicipe is a mexican hotel. It made sense now. We didn't even have red strip beer in our fridge. We had Carib beer.
All in all I would rate this resort a 3.5 out of 5
The people were friendly. It didn't feel like I was in jamaica.
I will never be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 848 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Southall Travel, Priceline, Odigeo, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay, Caribbean