“Toddlers, Gluten, How To Multiply Your Money, and Other Things You May Not Know About GBP, Jamaica”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I don't know about you, but we did a lot of research before picking our vacation spot. Some reviews made me a bit concerned about our comfort so I contacted several resorts. My wife has celiac disease and we were traveling with our 15 month-old daughter. I wanted some assurances that the kitchens were aware of how to keep a strict gluten-free environment and that it would be comfortable for the little one.

We pre-requested a king-size bed and a crib. We got them. Actually the crib was not in the room when we first arrived but they brought one up within minutes. It was a well constructed crib with high sides. Entertainingly 5 mins later another crib arrived... then a few minutes after that, another crib!!

FOOD:
The food was great. Besides the buffet, we ate at Don Pablo, the Grill and Italian restaurants, and the jerk hut. They had gf pasta if you asked (at the buffet and Italian restaurant). The fruit was fresh!! There was great variety. Not everything will suit every taste, but if you could not find something to eat, you are plainly impossible to please. (Whoever complained that the oranges were rotten does not know what oranges look like when recently harvested!!).
My wife would get TD settled and would get our food. Almost everything was gluten free anyway and we ate early to avoid other diners cross-contaminating the food with bread crumbs, etc. NEVER A PROBLEM!!!

The kitchen staff were conscientious and on top of what was/wasn't gluten-free - most sauces were thickened with corn starch - except for the gravy with the turkey dinner. If they weren't sure they asked someone else. One cook at the Grill even asked to see my wife's plate and told her she'd be safer without the corn tortillas as they were deep fried alongside gluten-containing foods.

DW brought gf snacks, bread, hamburger buns, from Canada and was glad she did!! She enjoyed the burger from the snack bar and nighttime potato chips were a treat!! Some of the burgers are 100% beef and made in-house. Others were pre-made and they couldn't guarantee that they were gluten-free so ALWAYS ASK!!!

The Italian restaurant was the only disappointing experience (as other reviewers have mentioned) - we were told to arrive on time to not lose our reservation. However the restaurant was not ready to open at 600. So we waited in our formal clothes in the hot, humid air for about 15 minutes. As it was an early time, there were several other couples and groups with young children waiting outside, getting slowly cranky. They had welcome cocktails at the entrance but the hostess forgot to offer them. We asked for a high chair, but that took about 20 minutes to arrive, although no one seemed busy!! And finally my wife said she'd love gluten-free pasta with Bolognese sauce but was told that was not possible so she settled for an olive oil-based infused sauce (pine nut I think) that she found unpalatable. She did find food at the Italian Restaurant's buffet, though. For my entree, I had a stuffed chicken breast with toasted risotto crust that was quite delicious. The buffet part to the Italian restaurant that was quite good - several pastas, and other starters... I'd stay away from the mussel salad next time though.

ROOM COMFORT: The air conditioner worked perfectly. Actually had to turn it down the first night!! Bed was comfortable. Pillows small. Fridge took a while to cool off the minibar drinks, but patience is a virtue! Housekeeping was fantastic and timed their service around baby's naps. There does seem to be a towel shortage - having a young child we would have liked to have had washcloths but they were not always available. We made do with baby wipes.

KIDS: There were loads of toddlers at the resort and our little girl had a great time socializing with old and young alike. The staff were very friendly to her - she would cry every time we went back to the room because she enjoyed being outside around others so much!! I discovered that our girl has a compulsive taste for pool water and so we kept to the ocean after realizing she could not resist sipping from the hotel pool :} . Glad we brought hydrocortisone cream b/c she got a nasty diaper rash! Never had a problem getting a high chair (other than a bit of a wait when staff forgot). We brought lots of snacks with us and coated her with sunscreen at least twice per day kept her sunhat on as much as possible. Only bottled water for her. She loved the beach, walking the halls of the hotel, and floating in her tube.

VENDORS AND MEMBERSHIP SALESPEOPLE - I was ready to be hounded and that was not the case. The women selling resort memberships were friendly and not pushy. The locals at the beach (who swam or boated in!!) were likewise easy-going. The staff in the shops in the village seemed friendly, but a few places gave us the 'stink eye' when we left without buying, making it seem that their friendliness was false. Otis at one of the smaller shops stood out as genuinely friendly and even gave out daughter a small present and refused to take any money for it.

How To Multiply Your Money:
A few $1 bills immediately become about 10x more valuable when given to a helpful, friendly local!! Please budget tips into your plan. We left daily tips for the cleaning staff, and we tipped at almost every meal. The odd time we received poor or no service we did not feel we should tip, but we could see that it means a lot and is really a very small proportion of what we would tip at home for similar service. If you are from a place where tipping is not a practice, you may consider it one of those 'W\hen in Rome..." situations. You do seem to get better service when you tip, and that is natural.

Overall we were very impressed and had a wonderful time - Relax, recognize that you are not in your home country and realize that perfection is nowhere ... if you need something - ask!! Being a grateful and polite guest is also recommended!! We would certainly return to the resort on another trip!!! I would like to thank the PR staff, front desk, for pre-trip communication; housekeeping maintenance, all the friendly servers who made our time very memorable!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank AtlanticMacNeils
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind comments about our hotel and staff. We greatly appreciate your feedback.
We hope that when you decide to return to Jamaica that you will give us the opportunity to make your stay even more enjoyable than the first for you and your family.

Yours Respectfully,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,051)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

First time in Jamaica. We had a great deal on this one.
Rooms are great, clean, and have a great view (we had room 18415). Everything functions well. The shower head was cracked and needed changing. You need to put your key (card) in a slot to provide electricity to the room. If you plan to use the alarm clock....bring a 9V battery.
Restaurant: The Orchids is the main buffet, crowded with people and kids......go to the Palmyra if you desire peace. A la carte restaurant: we were told the Don Pablo was the best, we tought the service was a bit off. The air conditioning was not working that evening, so there was a floor unit that made an unacceptable noise.. The waiter was always in a hurry. The meal was programmed to go quickly. The Grill, the only place where we were offered the welcome drink....others, we had to asked. The Grill is our Coup de coeur, meats are very good and tasty. The only restaurant we returned for a second meal. The Dolce Vita, meal was good, but ambiance and service are very average. The Japanese restaurant is also good but service and ambiance is to say the least....special.
The wine included in the all inclusive is awful. Ask for something else, everywhere we were given something else.....a chilean wine called Frontera that I wouldn't buy here but we found delightful compared to the regular Spanish wine served. Other wines.....you have to buy.
Bars: usually service is good, but unequal from one bar to another. Tipping helps to get a smile.
Beach is very nice, and sandy, but go to the one on the east side. There is a nice lagoon for snorkeling in front of the hotel between the diving boats and the wedding kiosk. Make sure you have water shoes, there are urchins and coral that you don't want to step on.
We went to the entertainment thing one night, and we found it very bad and quite boring, were we unlucky?

Room Tip: Get the ROYAL GOLDEN section, in block 18 you will be close to everything Ask for wine other than...
1 Thank Hugues D
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback about your stay at our Resort. We really appreciate your recommendations that always represent an opportunity to improve our services, products and human resources. Thank you so much again for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica as your holiday Resort.

Yours sincerely,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

The property is ginormous, very clean and well maintained. Rooms are spacious and very clean as well. (Big Balconies, large tubs, showers in every room). There is a variety of food with numerous restaurants (that are included). Just make sure to set your reservations the first day. Adults only buffet was FANTASTIC and food was much better than the regular buffet. Pool bar was a ton of fun with the great service, activities hourly and plenty of lounge chairs available. The beach is clean in the back of the resort. If you go to the beach by the snack bar (fantastic for lunch) there are plenty of watersports (also included) as well as swimming. Try the "Hells Fire" hot sauce with your Jerk Chicken at the snack bar. I would definitely go back to this resort with the deals they offer online. (p.s- this is my second Grand Bahia resort and they are wonderfully consistent).

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor or oceanview as there are 900 rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JenniG20
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear user of Trip Advisor,
We would like to acknowledge that we have received your review regarding your recent stay with us. It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your holidays at our Resort. We are very happy to know that you are thinking about coming back to our property.
On behave of our General Manager and staff we would like to extends a big thank you for choosing the Grand Bahia Principe. For any assistance with your further booking please feel free to contact us.

Nr Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Very sad to be back home after a fantastic holiday here. Have stayed in bahia hotels in Dominican Republic several times, my favourite was the ambar. Since having a baby this was to be a very different holiday so we chose jamaica and a hotel chain we trusted. We had room 18526 which had the most incredible views of the ocean and beach, a huge balcony, and all the facilities worked perfectly. The maid did a lovely job and some beautiful towel art. Would have been nice to have a greater alcohol selection in the minibar as we sat on the balcony of an evening while our daughter slept. Property is beautiful, it's big but not too big and nowhere near the size of DR. It has been built with the view in mind so I don't think that there is a room here without a view. People were super friendly, marvin at the buffet really did have great service, and the assistant manager lady who I think is pregnant by the different uniform but whose name I forgot (sorry!) was incredible. Everything you need without being asked- such a personal service. They all were fantastic with my little girl! Pool is massive, there's a quieter side which we liked and a busy side with the partiers and entertainment crew. Akeem in the beach bar another great guy, but my fav barman of all was Philip in the lobby bar who was always there with a smile and a mimosa! Please pass on my regards to these great guys they truly are a credit. Beach to the left of the resort is beautiful. I can't say enough good stuff here, we will definitely be back and thanks for making our first family holiday so outstanding! And thanks to diana for her help with the room allocation from my emails!

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank Dani_and_Paul
Dear Guest,
First we would like to thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to stay in Jamaica. We are very satisfied to hear that you enjoyed your vacation. Thank you again and we look forward to host you in our property in the near future.

Yours respectfully,

Yarmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was our first time to Jamaica and after reading reviews for couple months prior to going I was unsure what to expect but I have to say this is the BEST place I've been to yet . we went june 3-10. the room wasnt ready when we got there so because of our wait during check in they gave us an oceanview view room on the highest floor that overlooked the pool area and the ocean, beautiful ! no bugs at all in the room,bed and pillows were comfy I slept great all week!
Every staff member was super friendly always asking if everything was ok and how were we liking our stay . Food was great , really enjoyed the beach lunch place..jerk chicken was so good . drinks were good and strong also..I liked that there was a different drink special each day to try .We booked Don pablo and the japenesese both were great but Don pablo was an amazing experience.order the banana flambe for desert ,thanks to Kimberley for seeing to my reservations online and calling my room to tell me she booked my a la carte supper for my anniversary she even gave me a big hug when I went to pick up my receipt .
I never found the resort too big at all. the nicer beach is a walk to get too but not to far at all . there was a nice breeze so it wasnt too hot..my husband snokerled at both beaches and saw lots of fish which he enjoyed , good shopping right onsite .lots of weddings and even seen a proposal on the beach.
my husband and I have never enjoyed a resort so much til we came here totally felt like I was in paradise all week!! and we already decided while we were there we would come back again next year thats how much we loved it ,thanks GBP..you were everything and more see you next year !!!!

5 Thank bradybum
Dear user of Trip Advisor,

We greatly appreciate your feedback.On behalf of the entire team at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Resort, a bit of paradise here in Jamaica.

For any further assistance for your next visit, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

Always at your disposal,

Grand Bahia Principe
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here for two weeks on out honeymoon as diamond guests. Great check in as we were able to queue jump and the room was fantastic with great views of the beach. Jerk chicken bar was great for lunch and the evening meals were superb particularly in the dolce vita and don Pablo restaurants. My only criticism would be that we were unable to go to don Pablo in the first week as our reservation was at 5.30 which was far too early for us!! However second week was no problem. Overall we had a brilliant time and would recommend it highly!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Shrek34
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure for us to know that we were able to provide you an unforgetable honeymoon at our Resort Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, best honeymooners experience here in Jamaica.

Thank you for your time to post your positive review and please do not hesitate to contact us for any further visit in the future.

Yours faithfully,

Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at the resort from June 5 to June 12 2014.
The resort and the rooms are clean, the grounds are beautiful and very well maintained.
The food is good, and everyone should be able to find something to eat as there is enough variety available.
The transfer from the airport to the resort was interesting, as our bus driver was stopping on 2 different
shakes to pick up “smokes”, so be prepared to encounter offerings of “special tobacco” to you.
Our check in was confusing, as we were standing around for sometime to get someone to take us to our room. Our room maid Tanja (?) was wonderful and had every day creations of folded up towels.
We found that the service needs improvement compared to other Bahia resorts we stayed at, we ordered drinks and waited up to 45 minutes to get them, by that time we got the drinks our self.
The first day they had run out of towels for the pool, the told us that we had to wait 15 minutes to get new towels, we waited, then it was 30 minutes, we waited, then it was 1 hour.....we went to the reception, however the girl who makes the reservations for the a la carte restaurants helped us and got us 2 towels within 5 minutes. Thanks again!
Some of the workers at the reception desk need better knowledge of what is where located at the resort, or answer simple questions, you can ask 3 different workers and get 3 different answers.
The jerk chicken at the snack bar down by the beach tastes delicious. However we encountered several times that when the resort has a function (wedding etc.) going on they round up all the tables and it is very uncomfortable to eat, if you are constantly watched when you are finished eating so they can take your table away.
Nightly shows are entertaining and we liked the fact that they are outdoors, it is much better than to be cramped into a hot room to watch, as in some resorts.
The water at the pool where all the entertaining is happening, should be exchanged or better filtered because it has a milky look to it, than in the other pools. I saw a lot of people spill their drinks in the water.
We had no trouble getting reservations for the a la carte restaurants, we went to Don Pablo, Mikado and the Mediterranean Restaurant and the food was delicious at all 3.
This was our experience at the Bahia Principe Jamaica, we think it is a good resort, you have to lower your expectations though. I would recommend this resort with some reservations on our experience and impressions we got to others. Will we be back at this Bahia in Jamaica ? No

Room Tip: room 23209 is a good room.
4 Thank Epona5
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear guest,

Your opinion is very valuable for other customers, we thank your sincerily.

We hope to welcome you at our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, do not hesitate to contact us again to help with your next holidays in Jamaica.

Best Regards,

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#17 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,300 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!