“Horrible Service”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I go to Jamaica and other islands every year. Since we had a child 2 years ago we had to switch from couples resorts to family ones. This was our first visit to Jamaica with our child and we decided to try Grand Bahia since we saw the hotel being built 7 years ago. However, we will never go back to the hotel because the service was so bad. We waited over an hour for a bell hop when we first arrived. Then we order room service because our daughter needed to eat and the restaurant was not open for another hour...well, our food never came. Upon booking the hotel months ago I ordered a crib, when we arrived we were assured that we had a crib, but when we got to our room, no crib. We called 6 times, once every 30 minutes from 5:30 on, and every time we were assured that the crib was being delivered. We did not get our crib until around 8:30pm, over an hour after our daughter's bedtime. She was a cranky mess!!!!

The next day I set up a meeting to speak with a manager. Casanova was very nice and listened and wrote down all my concerns and said she would get back to me with a way to make up for the issues as an apology from the hotel...that never happened.

During the trip they ran out of clean towels for the bathroom and the pool, they ran out of certain types of liquor, food in the buffet ran dry at times and cold.

So why did all these issues occur? It's not that the staff was lazy or not trying, they were COMPLETELY UNDERSTAFFED for the hotel being at full capacity. That is uncalled for and is what turned me off of this hotel chain for good.

Best thing about this hotel was its cleanliness. That might be the only reason to return to this hotel if I can't find another. I REALLY APPRECIATED how clean the rooms and grounds were overall. Waitstaff at restaurants were also fabulous. Big ups to Jennifer in housekeeping, Oneil and Ray at The Grill and all the workers at the buffet.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Pamela F
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor on your recent stay. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that these situations had caused. Our main aim is to satisfy our guest to the maximum and we have failed you. We do take your feedback as areas for improvement so that this situation will not cause any further inconvience in the future.

Yours Sincerly,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Write a ReviewReviews (11,581)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great place to stay and great location. Beautiful grounds, greenery, and pool. Beach was average, food was average. Jerk chicken was fantastic! Beds were too small and very uncomfortable to sleep on. I would come back but we want to experience other parts of the country. Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Keith D
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Keith & Stacie,

Thank you for sharing your reviews on you recent stays with us. Your opinion is of great help to us in our effort to improve and achieve our main objective. It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your holidays at our Resort.

Thank you for choosing the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica the best family resort in the Caribbean.

Yours Respectfully,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My partner and I visited Jamaica for the 3rd time in May and for the 3rd successive time we stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay, largely due to two previous good holiday experiences at this hotel.

We generally knew what to expect upon arrival and were familiar with the layout of the hotel and the way things worked there. We again had Golden Club upgrade and found check in/check out to be as easy as usual. Upon arrival at our room they had mistakenly given us a twin room and could not move us into the correct one until the following day...this was not a big drama at all and about the only thing I can pick the hotel staff up on in all our visits. The very next day they sorted out the right room and we settled into it ready to start our holiday.

Unfortunately my partner became ill within a couple of days of being at the hotel, nothing to do with the hotel or food or anything like that but a medical emergency. It got to the point where my partner required urgent treatment at the hospital in St. Anns Bay. This obviously was a worrying time for us both but once aware of the situation the hotel staff were brilliant. A very special mention must go to Diana Lewis and Marlon the Executive Assistant Managers for the care and help they provided, especially Diana who drove me and, on occasions my partner to and from the hospital numerous times. It didn't matter what time of the day or how busy she was, Diana dropped all of it and put my partner first. Thank you ever so much for that and all the little things too.

It is rare that such emergencies happen whilst you're on holiday and obviously not something anyone can prepare for but it was reassuring to know that the hotel staff were dealing with it as best as they could and I felt that the aforementioned Diana Lewis went comfortably above and beyond what she was duty bound to do. And not once did we feel we were being a burden to them.

Also a very big thank you to Janet Steer-Grant who is an amazing lady, we met her on a previous visit a year back and she was our room maid for that particular time, we stayed in touch and when she found out about my partner taken ill, she immediately came to visit and give us some much needed hugs and love, despite it potentially getting her into trouble (some daft rule about not being allowed to enter a block you're not cleaning, Janet just came in long before her shift was due to start and comforted my partner in our room on several occasions until her shift started. I sincerely hope she does not get into trouble for this, she is an amazing and compassionate woman) Thank you Janet, you made a massive difference to my partner and I when we were both down about the situation, you are a credit to Grand Bahia Principe and I hope you get some kind of recognition for your kindness and sympathy.

In short this review won't help many people reading this for obvious reasons....but I do know and have experienced first hand that when the situation turns bad or in our case very bad....this hotel stepped up and did everything we asked and more....Diana Lewis, Marlon, Janet Steer-Grant....thank you so so much for everything. Also to Jovaine Anderson...thanks for always checking on us and offering all sorts of help....you made me smile buddy...keep up the good work.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank BjornandSusan

Dear Valued Guest,

First of all we do hope that you and your family especially your partner is in the best of health at this time. We are happy to know that even though bad times that we were still able to make your vacation an extraordinary one, we do extend our appreciation to the following members of staff that helped you in times of need, Marlon Honegan, Diana Lewis, Janet Steer-Grant and Jovaine Anderson, we are happy to know that they have done an exceptional job to always give an helping hand.

Thanks for choosing us for the third time around and hope to see you soon again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We knew we were going to have a good weeks vacation right from the bus ride from the airport. The Jamaican people are very friendly and welcoming! Check in was smooth and seamless! This Grand Bahia is a very large resort, yes there is lots of walking, but it is well worth it! You walk off all the excellent food and beverages that you are able to enjoy. The rooms are large and clean and well kept, maid service is awesome, we asked for extra towels every day and got them! The pool was clean and refreshing, and the staff were so much fun. We joined in some pool games, they know how to entertain and keep you involved (if you want to be). The beach was huge and awesome, lots of lounge chairs, beautiful sand and gorgeous water. We snorkeled, swam and relaxed in the sun every day! The food was very good, the buffet always had something for everyone. The a la cartes are great, lots of choice for everyone, and the signature drinks were pretty awesome too! BEST of ALL was the Jerk Chicken at the beach buffet....hot, juicy and as spicy as you'd like! So far for us, the BEST VACATION EVER! Will we be back.....yah mon....no problem!!!! B&P (Cambridge, ON)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Pam J

Dear User of Trip advisor,

Thank you for sharing your kind note with us. We are happy to know that this is your first time and it won’t be your last at our hotel; you have enjoyed your room, housekeeping services, the friendly staff and overall your vacation.

Thank you for choosing our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica for your summer holidays. We cannot wait to see you again in our hotel.

Best Wishes!!!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Everything was good.it's a really good place with nice person.the food was good and a lot of kind of food.the jerk chicken was amazing.my husband and I been to dunn's river and it was really fun..Ya man!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lydia L
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

It is always good to know that we have exceeded you expectations and that you also enjoy our food especially the famous Jamaican Jerk chicken. We are very happy to know that you choose the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica the best family resort in the Caribbean for your vacation.

We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Best Wishes!!!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Let me start by saying I read the reviews here for months. How can anyone say this place is great???
We have travelled to Dominican and Costa Rica. The people in these countries go out of their way to serve you. The workers at the grand Bahia turn their face at you when you have an issue. We checked in at the golden club it was nice as it was one of the only places in the resort with ac. They give us our keys we had 2 rooms. After walking all the way to the 16 block they gave us a king size bed for me my wife and 14 year old we requested 2 double beds. We walk all the way back to golden club to get this answer. ( there is nothing we can do we are overbooked you are lucky you weren't shipped out with all the non golden club people because we are overbooked. Now the last time. I checked it. Is 2014 we have computers to handle the counting when you reach capacity stop booking. So anyway after my wife almost screamed loud enough for all of Jamaica to. Hear they gave us another bed and said they would move us the next day. Ok we try to deal with it we are on vacation. The next day we go to golden club and they are like yes you will be moved bring all your luggage to lobby and by 3 o'clock we will have a room for you w 2 double beds now it was my turn to scream. You have to accommodate them so they can get someone else in your old room (by the way which had no ac the toilet was broke and the shower barely worked) but we were treated like new guests come back at 3 for new key... We'll at 330 we were finally given a new room which was nice the ac worked and no toilet issues. Ok to the rest.
Resteraunts: The grill steakhouse is the best mikado is good Italian was just ok. Don't expect ac in these Resteraunts. The buffet hmm kind of a disappointment.
The food was ok. Plates hard to find. Again no ac. Omelet station was great. The best food of the week jerk chicken was out of this world even my wife had some and she doesn't eat chicken. Don't try the hellfire sauce wow it is beyond hot. Pizza was good and nachos were tasty.

Beach:
man made was ok served the purpose blue water. The best part of beach was snorkeling which was great the fish swim with you.

Pool: was very nice clean and big. If you want cover you need to be out there by 630am. The towel reserving chairs I think starts the night before never seen this done so. Inch but I must say there are so many chairs you won't have an issue. The towels since we were golden club were never an issue.

Bars; all were good try the dirty banana the rum punch was good. The lobby bar was occasionally air conditioned so it was a nice place for relief.

Entertainment
It is what it is can't complain same as all the all inclusives

Rooms clean big spacious bathrooms clean and spacious

Duns river falls a must see and do. Hire your own taxi be there at 9 stay away from the tours much more fun.

Ok now the final over all review
This place needs some serious management changes.
You have to ask for drinks in Resteraunts. You have to sweat while you are eating. The pool is great the grounds are great the drinks are great. The place looks very nice and can be so much better. The service people are so on and off some are sweet some are so rude they don't look at you. We had a nice time but would not return. I say look at all these reviews before you book. Ya mon!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank mike16586

Dear User of Trip Advisor,

We would like to thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. It is always concerning when guests are not completely satisfied with some of our facilities; however we really appreciate this feedback that represents an opportunity to improve our services, products and human resources.

Thank you for your time and we hope beside those events you enjoyed your vacation.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 29 June 2014

First I have to say, I was pleased with the hospitality shown to us. We just returned yesterday. 6/2/14. IT was beautiful. Our maid Donette was excellent as well as Glenford who served us while in the pool. Marcie, our evening drink server and was the icing on the cake and a delight to talk to and she answered all of our curiosity questions. A+++ for her. Everyone treated us like family. We didn't do any sight seeing as were just wanted to relax and enjoy our time. I have to say this resort is a well oiled machine, as staff were busy keeping the place clean and answering questions as needed. Very impressed and would go back again in a heartbeat! One note to management...as hot as it is...please let the staff wear short sleeved shirts not long sleeved shirts I will recommend it to my friends. We brought $100 in $1 bills for tipping (which we never spent all of it) and our own insulated drink cups. What a great experience!

Room Tip: We asked for a king size bed but only got 2 double. (which worked out well as we were sunburned and...