“Wonderful resort and staff”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
port-of-spain, Trinidad
“Wonderful resort and staff”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica during the period June 8th to June 15th 2014. We were there for a wedding. Despite reviews from other people I found that the Rooms were in very good condition, and the A/C worked fine (Tip - if the patio door is not closed properly the A/C will not turn on). The housekeeping staff came everyday to clean our rooms and provide new towels, they even made little animal pattern on the beds. The mini fridge was also topped up daily with beer, soft drinks and water and I find that tipping housekeeping on the first day goes a long way). A safe is available for rent to the tune of approx $6.00 US per night and internet is also available for purchase but can only be used on one device at a time, other that that you are allowed 1hr per day of free internet in the lobby only. If you get lower floors (Floors 1, 2 and maybe 3) beware of the mosquitoes! If you can help it do not open the patio doors on the lower floors at all. We also did not have any issues with obtaining towels from the towel huts. I found it difficult to get pool chairs during the day as most were occupied with people's belongings, so I guess you have to get there early. The buffet has a wide variety of food and deserts each day so you will definitely find something you like. Please make reservations for the A la Carte restaurants about 2 weeks prior to arriving because it gets booked up fast (send email to: profficersbpjam@bahia-principe.com).
We had dinner at Mikado Japanese restaurant and was treated to a entertaining show from Chef Natalie and their deep fried ice-cream was the best. My favorite restaurant was Dolce Vita where the food was delicious. The Jerk Hut was my favorite for lunch (great Jerk pork and chicken) but beware of the brown/black colored hot sauce! If your are allergic to bee stings then you would want to stay away from the Jerk Hut as there are many bees buzzing around especially at the soda dispenser. The plaza has lovely souvenirs shops, bar, disco, pharmacy, grill hut, karaoke bar and an entertainment area for nightly shows. Over all we had a wonderful time at the Resort and was sad too leave but would definitely return to this Resort in the future.

Room Tip: - Ask for higher floors (3 and up) due to mosquitoes. - Make A la Carte Restaurant reservations bef...
5 Thank sherry-trini
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear User of Trip Advisor,

We are thrilled to know that your expectations have been exceeded during your vacation with us and you have had a wonderful time, it was our pleasure to serve you.

On behalf of our General Manager and all of our staff, thank you for choosing our Grand Bahia Principe resort, a 5 star experience in Jamaica. We sincerely hope to see you back soon.

Yours faithfully,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,139)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
boston, lincolnshire
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I really don't know where to begin ! So , I'll start with check in . Upon arrival we were directed straight to the air conditioned golden reception room .Check in was quick and efficient we were in our room in no time, and what lovely rooms , huge 4 poster bed and views from the balcony to die for .
Restaurants were out of this world , we tried all of the al a carte restaurants and they were all so fantastic I find it hard to say which was my favourite , but the steaks are the best I've ever had in the Caribbean. We used the adult only buffet restaurant in between al a carte visits and again the food was soooo good. (smoked salmon, palma ham , steak cooked to order ,stilton cheese, the list just goes on )
The cove to the left of the hotel was beautiful and we spent most days basking on the beach and cooling off in the sea. The pools were just as lovely and clean but not as peaceful as the beach which would always be my first choice. The beach is also closer to the restaurant that serves jerk chicken, and popular with everyone including myself, I like spicey food ,and that was definitely hot.
I admit we didn't watch a lot of the evening entertainment as we usually ate late and it had finished by then , so can't really comment but the steel bands were very good.
If I must find one fault it would be that the lounge bar closed to early and I didn't like having to transfer my drink into a plastic cup so that the staff could clean up. We enjoyed sitting in the peace of the lounge ,relaxing with a drink and chatting with friends. We couldn't of done this at the disco or karaoke bar , so once the lounge bar closed it effectively ended our evening which was a shame.
That was a minor fault in a truly amazing holiday and I thank everyone at the Grand Bahia Principe for making it so unforgettable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank ayb57
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that you had an amazing holiday here with us and that you are satisfied with the level of service that we had provided you with so that you could have an unforgettable vacation stay. It would give us great pleasure if you would give us another opportunity to host you again in our property.

Yours Faithfully,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I go to Jamaica and other islands every year. Since we had a child 2 years ago we had to switch from couples resorts to family ones. This was our first visit to Jamaica with our child and we decided to try Grand Bahia since we saw the hotel being built 7 years ago. However, we will never go back to the hotel because the service was so bad. We waited over an hour for a bell hop when we first arrived. Then we order room service because our daughter needed to eat and the restaurant was not open for another hour...well, our food never came. Upon booking the hotel months ago I ordered a crib, when we arrived we were assured that we had a crib, but when we got to our room, no crib. We called 6 times, once every 30 minutes from 5:30 on, and every time we were assured that the crib was being delivered. We did not get our crib until around 8:30pm, over an hour after our daughter's bedtime. She was a cranky mess!!!!

The next day I set up a meeting to speak with a manager. Casanova was very nice and listened and wrote down all my concerns and said she would get back to me with a way to make up for the issues as an apology from the hotel...that never happened.

During the trip they ran out of clean towels for the bathroom and the pool, they ran out of certain types of liquor, food in the buffet ran dry at times and cold.

So why did all these issues occur? It's not that the staff was lazy or not trying, they were COMPLETELY UNDERSTAFFED for the hotel being at full capacity. That is uncalled for and is what turned me off of this hotel chain for good.

Best thing about this hotel was its cleanliness. That might be the only reason to return to this hotel if I can't find another. I REALLY APPRECIATED how clean the rooms and grounds were overall. Waitstaff at restaurants were also fabulous. Big ups to Jennifer in housekeeping, Oneil and Ray at The Grill and all the workers at the buffet.

4 Thank Pamela F
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor on your recent stay. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that these situations had caused. Our main aim is to satisfy our guest to the maximum and we have failed you. We do take your feedback as areas for improvement so that this situation will not cause any further inconvience in the future.

Yours Sincerly,

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great place to stay and great location. Beautiful grounds, greenery, and pool. Beach was average, food was average. Jerk chicken was fantastic! Beds were too small and very uncomfortable to sleep on. I would come back but we want to experience other parts of the country. Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5.

3 Thank Keith D
Dear Keith & Stacie,

Thank you for sharing your reviews on you recent stays with us. Your opinion is of great help to us in our effort to improve and achieve our main objective. It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your holidays at our Resort.

Thank you for choosing the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica the best family resort in the Caribbean.

Yours Respectfully,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My partner and I visited Jamaica for the 3rd time in May and for the 3rd successive time we stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay, largely due to two previous good holiday experiences at this hotel.

We generally knew what to expect upon arrival and were familiar with the layout of the hotel and the way things worked there. We again had Golden Club upgrade and found check in/check out to be as easy as usual. Upon arrival at our room they had mistakenly given us a twin room and could not move us into the correct one until the following day...this was not a big drama at all and about the only thing I can pick the hotel staff up on in all our visits. The very next day they sorted out the right room and we settled into it ready to start our holiday.

Unfortunately my partner became ill within a couple of days of being at the hotel, nothing to do with the hotel or food or anything like that but a medical emergency. It got to the point where my partner required urgent treatment at the hospital in St. Anns Bay. This obviously was a worrying time for us both but once aware of the situation the hotel staff were brilliant. A very special mention must go to Diana Lewis and Marlon the Executive Assistant Managers for the care and help they provided, especially Diana who drove me and, on occasions my partner to and from the hospital numerous times. It didn't matter what time of the day or how busy she was, Diana dropped all of it and put my partner first. Thank you ever so much for that and all the little things too.

It is rare that such emergencies happen whilst you're on holiday and obviously not something anyone can prepare for but it was reassuring to know that the hotel staff were dealing with it as best as they could and I felt that the aforementioned Diana Lewis went comfortably above and beyond what she was duty bound to do. And not once did we feel we were being a burden to them.

Also a very big thank you to Janet Steer-Grant who is an amazing lady, we met her on a previous visit a year back and she was our room maid for that particular time, we stayed in touch and when she found out about my partner taken ill, she immediately came to visit and give us some much needed hugs and love, despite it potentially getting her into trouble (some daft rule about not being allowed to enter a block you're not cleaning, Janet just came in long before her shift was due to start and comforted my partner in our room on several occasions until her shift started. I sincerely hope she does not get into trouble for this, she is an amazing and compassionate woman) Thank you Janet, you made a massive difference to my partner and I when we were both down about the situation, you are a credit to Grand Bahia Principe and I hope you get some kind of recognition for your kindness and sympathy.

In short this review won't help many people reading this for obvious reasons....but I do know and have experienced first hand that when the situation turns bad or in our case very bad....this hotel stepped up and did everything we asked and more....Diana Lewis, Marlon, Janet Steer-Grant....thank you so so much for everything. Also to Jovaine Anderson...thanks for always checking on us and offering all sorts of help....you made me smile buddy...keep up the good work.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BjornandSusan
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all we do hope that you and your family especially your partner is in the best of health at this time. We are happy to know that even though bad times that we were still able to make your vacation an extraordinary one, we do extend our appreciation to the following members of staff that helped you in times of need, Marlon Honegan, Diana Lewis, Janet Steer-Grant and Jovaine Anderson, we are happy to know that they have done an exceptional job to always give an helping hand.

Thanks for choosing us for the third time around and hope to see you soon again.

Warm Regards,

Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We knew we were going to have a good weeks vacation right from the bus ride from the airport. The Jamaican people are very friendly and welcoming! Check in was smooth and seamless! This Grand Bahia is a very large resort, yes there is lots of walking, but it is well worth it! You walk off all the excellent food and beverages that you are able to enjoy. The rooms are large and clean and well kept, maid service is awesome, we asked for extra towels every day and got them! The pool was clean and refreshing, and the staff were so much fun. We joined in some pool games, they know how to entertain and keep you involved (if you want to be). The beach was huge and awesome, lots of lounge chairs, beautiful sand and gorgeous water. We snorkeled, swam and relaxed in the sun every day! The food was very good, the buffet always had something for everyone. The a la cartes are great, lots of choice for everyone, and the signature drinks were pretty awesome too! BEST of ALL was the Jerk Chicken at the beach buffet....hot, juicy and as spicy as you'd like! So far for us, the BEST VACATION EVER! Will we be back.....yah mon....no problem!!!! B&P (Cambridge, ON)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Pam J
Dear User of Trip advisor,

Thank you for sharing your kind note with us. We are happy to know that this is your first time and it won’t be your last at our hotel; you have enjoyed your room, housekeeping services, the friendly staff and overall your vacation.

Thank you for choosing our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica for your summer holidays. We cannot wait to see you again in our hotel.

Best Wishes!!!

trois-rivieres
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Everything was good.it's a really good place with nice person.the food was good and a lot of kind of food.the jerk chicken was amazing.my husband and I been to dunn's river and it was really fun..Ya man!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Lydia L
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It is always good to know that we have exceeded you expectations and that you also enjoy our food especially the famous Jamaican Jerk chicken. We are very happy to know that you choose the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica the best family resort in the Caribbean for your vacation.

We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Best Wishes!!!

Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!