“Very nice place”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Ottawa, Canada
“Very nice place”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just got back from a week of fun and relaxation from The Grand Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay, Jamaica. Very hot and Humid, bring plenty of sun screen. The rooms are pretty standard 4 or 5 star rooms, nothing stood out, no bugs, very clean and very good maid service with nightly turn down of the room also. If you are a beach person this place is not for you. Not the greatest beach, a nice little walk from the hotel and a little rocky, Great pools, pleanty of room to play, good activities at the pool, not a problem exchanging towels, good pool bars and friendly staff. Food: the buffet was good, not enough variety but the quality was there, breakfast was so so, good servive from the staff, very friendly. Japanese restaurant was not that good, just OK food but a good show. Italian was great, good quality and variety. Don Pablo restaurant was great, very high quality and variety, delicious. Entertainment was prety standard, Kids club was fine. The band and signer at the bar were very good, local signer had a great voice and the music was swinging. As far as souvenirs, the shops are not that good, it's best to go the Ochos Rios and shop there. Activities: went horseback ridding and that was great, my little girl loved it, very reasonable price. Swimming with dolfins and stingray was also great, again the price was very reasonable. Other standard activities like visiting Dunns River, the mountain, rafting were also prety good deals. If you want to try something different than Mexico, Cuba or Dominican at a good price, this was a good deal. Oh, everybody does say YA MAN all the time.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room that faces the road or mountains, no view whatsoever.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin631109
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First we would like to thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to stay in Jamaica and also for all your kind comments. We are very satisfied to hear that you enjoyed your vacation.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to see you soon.

Yours Faithfully,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,110)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My family stayed here for a week and we have a number of positive things to say about this resort. We found the most of the staff helpful, especially housekeeping and waiters, mores than the attendants. The rooms, pools and premises were breathtaking. We went in June, during the rainy season and it was partly cloudy for most days and full sun for one day and rained another. The only downside was we were not able to go into a specific part of the beach because it was for "exclusive" members only. This part go the beach had more of an abundance of space and sand while it was much less rocky. Fortunately, our children preferred the pools though if were were to go back to Jamaica as a couple we would choose a resort without this restriction and probably go during the year when there is more sun and less humidity.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelingVerm0nter
Dear Valued Guest,

It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to provide you a delightful stay. We hope that when returning to Jamaica, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our Grand resort.

North wales
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Exactly what Denise said plus we were promised numerous upgrades due to our reservations not being correct on the hotels part and never received them. Service is terrible constant lies from the front desk and food is not very good. Pool is great bartenders are great and the beach is great that's about it... I would ultimately stay away from this resort. One more thing I ran into numerous people who were shipped to other resorts because this place over booked the resort.

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Gwc009
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear User of Trip Advisor,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback about your stay at our Resort.

It is always concerning when guests are not completely satisfied with some of our facilities, however we really appreciate this feedback that represents an opportunity to improve our services, products and human resources. Thank you for your time.

Yours faithfully,

Grand Bahia Principe
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I went alone just to relax, swim, catch up on sleep and enjoy some good food / drink in great surroundings. My mission was accomplished – next time I’ll go for 2 weeks.

The bus from Montego Bay to the resort was 1.25 hrs. ( no traffic at 8:30 PM ).

Golden Club: For $50 bucks more it’s worth it. You get express check in, free safe ($40. Deposit still required), ocean view room on top floor ( level 5 ), bathrobe/slippers/free mickey of rum, use of the Club Lounge which has a small bar, PCs + internet (the staff sets a 30 min. timer on it but will give another 30 min. if no one is waiting a turn).

My Room: I was an excellent room (7513, building 7, floor 5, room 13). Had a big 4-poster bed, balcony, A/C, Samsung TV with about 12 channels, coffee maker, stocked beer fridge (pop/water/canned beer, wine if you ask the mini-bar guy – I left a note +$1.), bathroom with tub, separate shower, always well supplied. Maids are everywhere in the morning in case you needed something. Buildings 7 & 8 are close to the beach.

Beach: Best one is on the left side. Take water shoes as there are stones along the way. I walked to the far end (next to the nude beach). There is a bar + washrooms right there (a small bar as well about half way along). Water was warm, beach not as good as Cuba, no problem getting a lounge chair, small trees for shade and quiet. Didn’t experience any mosquitos/bugs.

Don’t miss the beach ‘shack’ which is a large, open air restaurant just to the left of the resort building. Ask for a young man named Christopher – he’s a friendly guy who gets you a good table, remembers what you drink, gets your refills before your glass is empty. There is decent buffet there which includes hotdogs & hamburgers but the grill is the highlight. Mounds of super jerk chicken and pork ( I heeded advise for once and didn’t try the 2 hot sauces ). Be sure to tip the great cook a buck or so – he labours long and hard at grilling and serving everyone cheerfully.

Grounds: Big place, beautiful, pools are large, great with swim-up bar.

Restaurants: They are all easy to find - one level below the lobby. Orchids Buffet is the main one and has a large variety of food. You can pour yourself a champagne, mimosa or bloody Mary at breakfast & get a custom made omelet. Palmyra Buffet is around the far side from Orchids & is for adults only – pretty much the same stuff but quieter. Ask for Patricia she is super, engaging and on top of her game. She remembers how you like your coffee and has it + champagne waiting for you when you return from the buffet.
I only tried one a la carte, the Don Pablo and had the chateaubriand which was quite excellent.
Each place is very hot and humid, even at breakfast. The A/C is turned off. They really need to turn it on – this is my only suggestion.

Bars: I spent a lot of time in the Lobby Bar which has great A/C. I have the highest compliments for the day bartender Phillip & the gals Donnetta, El Jay, Tanisha. Also the night guy Antonio is a real pro too. I enjoyed their company very much plus their Dirty Bananas, Pina Coladas, drink of the day, beer, other mixed drinks & liquor (top shelf stuff is chargeable).

Service and other stuff: Experienced nothing but the best! Everyone was friendly, laid back and helpful. I caught the mini-bar guy in the hall + would leave a note in the fridge with $1. For special requests for wine, etc. I used their laundry service which was reasonable - I went through all of my shirts due to high humidity & no A/C at buffets – the maid made sure they got picked-up/delivered on time, as a favour. In my opinion, tipping wasn’t expected. I left the maid $2. each day, $2. at each meal, and gave $1. every other drink. People really appreciated that but always went the extra mile for you regardless. By the way: all the staff works 6 of 7 days a week ( most rise at 4:30 AM ) and work tirelessly with a smile on their face.
Excursions – didn’t go on any. Entertainment – there is a large complex with shows, shops, sportsbar, etc. I went one night but chose to go to bed early and rise early instead.
Make sure you go to the briefing on your first morning – you will be told that on check-out you must get your ticket for the bus back to the airport. TimeShare people are setup on the left of
the front desk – I told them I like to go somewhere different each year so I’m not interested. I couple of rude, mouthy girls shouted after me once outside. I don’t respond to that approach at all so the more I ignored them, the more they shouted. Other than that, it wasn’t a problem. There is one gift shop on the buffet level and one on the lobby level for stuff you might need, liquor, cigars, etc.

I plan to return for a longer stretch and hope the A/C situation is corrected.

Room Tip: Go "Golden Club" and get a room on the top floor of building 7 or 8 (they are close to the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Craig J
Dear guest,

It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to provide you a delightful stay. We hope that when returning to Jamaica, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our resort.

Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I would like to start with the fact that I am an avid traveler and I believe I have the ability to fairly assess a hotel. But this hotel for all of its awesome beauty has the worst customer service and I would rather stay at a 2 star hotel with great customer service than a 5 star with poor customer service. I have spent half of my vacation at the lobby desk, and I am not that type of traveler.

The good. The hotel grounds, beach and pool look exactly like the pictures, BEAUTIFUL. The beach and pool area is clean, they always have a lot of chairs and beach towels and the bar staff is friendly. The food is also very good, especially for an all inclusive. I have stayed at the Iberostar and the RIU chains and the food here overall is better. The rooms are large and again look like their pictures. That is where it ends.

The REALLY BAD, I have been here for 5 days with 17 other family members in 6 different rooms and we have yet to see a washcloth despite asking every day.. And we have to beg for towels. I had to change rooms because my ceiling over the spa tub was leaking, the toilet kept backing up, the door to the bathroom jammed and you had to push it with your shoulder to open it, there was not door to the WC and shower kept flooding. When 4 of my other family members arrived they were put in the wrong rooms and had to wait until the next day get there rooms changed. They put them in king rooms, (couples with children), when they requested 2 double beds. The beds are very hard, ( but some people don't mind that), The room towels are thin cheap, hard and are difficult to come by.

The restaurant does not let you bring food to your room. They were very aggressive when my mother wanted to bring a plate of food to her 74 year old sister who wasn't feeling well. They actually took the plate and had room service bring it up almost 40 minutes later, obviously the food was cold at that point. The restaurant manager is very aggressive, we have a large group and asked to have the tables put together and he said he couldn't do that. So we just did it ourselves. Then we noticed to our left another family almost as large as ours with their tables together. The serves are super slow, even though it is a buffet and all they bring you silverware, water and drinks. There is no bar near the buffet either.
They say they have free WIFI, it is only 1 hour a day in the lobby. Or $40 for the week or $15 for the day. RUI and IBEROSTAR have free WIFI period!
The prices for the excursions are outrageous. They actually charge you for many of the activities they claim are included. Like $40 for windsurfing lessons then its free. $50 for snorkel gear to rent it per person.
My key stopped working in my door 5 times in one day. When you ask about the key, the system is down.
We were supposed to be near each other, we are literally spread across the entire, huge hotel.
Bottom line is this. Hotels are supposed to provide you with comfort and care while you are away from home. Especially if they are not cheap hotels. This hotel appears to be focused on selling the timeshare section more than catering to their general population of customers.
My family and I will not return and I am sure the Management Team could not care less because customer service is not a priority at all.

Room Tip: 1400-1500 near lobby 1700-1800 near pool, beach and everything else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Denise O
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear User of Trip Advisor,

We are very sorry for the experience that you mentioned. Our goal is to deliver maximum guest satisfaction to all our clients but unfortunately we were unable to deliver this service to you. We are sorry for inconvenience caused.

We will forward your feedback to all departments involved to improve our services and facilities. We welcome your comments on Trip Advisor.

Yours Respectfully,

Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We (my boyfriend 28 and myself 25) booked a 5 day vacation at this resort from June 14-19. We were booked in a standard ocean view room. The trip to the resort is long and the bus drove really slow but that is not the resorts fault. Upon arrival we were first in line so check-in was really quick. The gentleman who checked us in was quite nice but didnt even tell us which direction to head in once we got going so we had to ask a few people how to get to our room (13709).

Room: Room was okay - perfect location, amazing view but the A/C, Mini fridge and shower all had issues. I brought them up (over the phone and in person) to the front desk. The phone call was useless but once I went to the desk everything (with the exception of the AC) was fixed promptly. They managed to get the AC to a bearable temperature and we left it at that for our holiday. The mini-fridge was completely replaced. I am not sure if it was because we caught the manager at the front desk when we went or if they are normally that quick. We had friends who had a don pablo room and I must say I am much happier with the room we had!

Grounds: Although the resort is huge it has a great layout where everything is pretty easy to get to. We enjoyed walking around at night. The elevators are few and far between and they have no air circulation so I hope no one ever gets stuck in it. We discovered them on the 2nd day but often opted to take the stairs (7 flights). The beach was nice and we never tried the pool. I really liked that they had a few bars on the beach so you never had far to walk and they were never too busy. I took a walk over to the deserted/wedding beach area and I got major sand flea bites (no issues with them prior to exploring so the regular beach is fine).

Food/drinks: Bring a thermo-cup it will make such a difference. Their cups are so small and the drinks melt really fast! The food was 4/5 - I always found something I liked. We tried the asian, gourmet and steakhouse and they were all good. The breakfast buffet was the only time I had a hard time but I think the lack of AC put me off a little. ALL of the restaurants have no AC and the buffet has no fans so it is really hot. I read reviews before and though "nah, it cant be that bad" but in June it is bad. We would eat huge meals at the snack bar to avoid worrying about dinner. Now the snack bar was AWESOME. We ate jerk chicken everyday and it was worth the line for it. We also enjoyed the Pizza. One downside is that if you miss breakfast the snackbar doesnt open until 12 so you have to wait an hour and a half until you can eat something (unless you have room service which we will make sure we have next time). I emailed my dinner reservations 2 weeks beforehand but they had no record when we got there. Luckily we still had no issues getting the times we wanted.

Entertainment: We didnt watch any shows. They were always packed but we arent into them. We did enjoy the lobby bar entertainment. The issue I had here was that the lobby bar would be busy, lots of people having a good time and they would close down and turn all the lights out. I understand closing the bar - people want to go home, but let people enjoy their conversations and stick around if they want. It was an $80 roundtrip cab ride to get to Ochos Rios so we passed on that.

Service: I learned that you can't go to Jamaica expecting the service you will receive in Mexico. They are 2 completely different cultures. Everyone was very nice and service was prompt. They did not expect or demand tips and I found that service was the same with or without tipping (but we tipped a whole lot because they all worked so hard!) Our server in the asian restaurant was by far the best.

Overall I probably wouldnt return because we like to try new places. I would reccomend friends and family to try it though because we accomplished what we went for - relaxation!! Go with an open mind and you will have a good time.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the main floor if you have mobility issues or a stroller as the elevators are a pai...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jnuge054
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We deeply appreciate you have let us know that you have enjoyed your room, food, grounds area,beach and overall the services provided by our staff. We thank you, as well for your observations; we will forward them to the related departments' heads to take them into account.

Thank you for choosing our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica as your holiday destination. We do hope that if you decide to come back to Jamaica that you will give us the opporunity to make your vacation another memorable one.

Invermere, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Jamaican's are wonderful, laid back, easy going, happy people! It's a bonus that they speak English-life was much easier without a language barrier. The food was really good (better than the food in Cuba). We met a lot of awesome wait staff. The room, pool, beach were nice. Zip lining on Mystic Mountain was really fun. We had fun and would go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to give our guest the quality customer service at all times. We are very proud to know that you have enjoyed your holiday vacation and that you are thinking about coming back our hotel.

Thank you for choosing us the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica the best resort in Jamaica.

Best Wishes!!!

#26 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!