Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$588
US$330
Curio.com
  • Breakfast included
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$543
US$326
  • Breakfast included
Club Ambiance(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$220
  • Breakfast included
Silver Creek Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$99
Franklyn D. Resort & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$455
Cardiff Hotel & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$146
Piper's Cove Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$95
Agoda.com
US$68
TripAdvisor
11,922 results
All reviewsjerk chickengold clubdon pablothe grilla la carte restaurantstime sharedolce vitakaraoke barbeach snack barmain buffetnude beachair transatjapanese restaurantorchid buffetface clothsair canadatowel hut
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from 2 glorious weeks at Bahia principe and I can honestly say after reading the reviews this was by far a beautiful resort the staff are hard working and so friendly the food was delicious in the buffet and al a carte , the beaches where amazing and the pool was fantastic I have no complaints what so ever spot on service from the minute we arrived to the minute we left , tips are as follows : travel mugs and lots and lots of sun cream . Thank you to all the staff for making holiday magical

Stayed: July 2014
10  Thank Emma F
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

It is always a pleasure to know that our guest is happy with their stay. We are very delighted to know that you have enjoyed our amazing beach, fantastic pool, delicious food, hardworking and friendly staff and our entire beautiful resort.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we do hope to host you again at the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to make your next holiday even more magical than before.

Yours Respectfully,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Visited June 21-June 28 for the first time. My husband and I really searched he resorts before we made a decision based on the reviews. I really think that people should know how it is when you go away and spend all that money what to expect. I will describe as much details as possible. So we arrived at the Jamaica airport, long walk to customs, then you get to custom and the line up is ridiculous. Then once you get your bags and head outside looking for your bus, took a while, and they name all the buses, different names, our bus name was Bob Marley bus and it was late, so not only did we have a 4 hour flight now we are waiting for a bus and 1 hour bus ride. On the bus the air transat employees give you your package to the resort, and explain what you need to do when you arrive to the resort, since we booked Don Pablo section, once we arrived to the resort the butlers took our luggage and we went into a room to give us our room key and explain about the Don Pablo lounge and what services we have, where to get your beach towels, etc. One thing that they did was pre-register you which is good, but booked the restaurants of their choice and their times, which were all 8:00 or 9:00 p.m. which is way too late especially when you are out all day in the sun. The day we arrived we changed he times in the Don Pablo room with Maria the manager. As well we went for buffet dinner, with our wrist band it allows us everywhere in the resort, The Palymra restaurant is for adults, the Piscao is for Don Pablo wrist band, for breakfast at this restaurant is ordering via menu, the Palymra is buffet and they cook fresh over the grill for you, the food is fabulous whatever restaurant you want, we enjoyed the Palymra especially at lunch we sat outside on the terrace where it was such a nice breeze. The employees in this restaurant are amazing, Shane is got lots of energy, Sasha the host, would greet us every morning and lunch, would remember what we wanted tea, Can't remember the other team members but there were also great. The nice thing is that you can have a conversation with them and they understand you, opposed to going to the Dominican and you are suffering to have a conversation. The employees would offer to take your picture for you. Now tipping goes a long way, and you get the service. The room attendants were good, I would leave a clothes for the morning and evening service, I actually had to ask that for the evening if they can leave the blanket on the bed it took a couple of days before they got the hang of that. I had to call the Don Pablo lounge a few times, because we would be left with one towel for two people, and no hand towels or face cloths. One complaint that I had was we requested wake up calls the first two days it worked, the remainder of the holiday we never received wake up calls, phone the Don Pablo lounge they told me that it's not them it's the operator and attempted to transfer me to them, I basically told them that is not my issue to fight you as the hotel manager should resolve this, no knock on the door to see if we are up, I was pissed off about that. On the day of departure I told Maria the manager in the Don Pablo lounge and she asked why didn't I mention this before, I explained I did, but no one really took it serious, and which they should because the alarm could not work or power outage, and you miss an execursion or breakfast, which one morning we did and when we walked into the Palymra, Shane mentioned they are closed, but grab some plates and get what ever is on the hot plate, we appreciated that so much. The beach is a walking distance from the resort, we would walk in between the rooms to get a breeze. At the beach, there aren't a lot of huts, and some trees that are blocked off for the Don Pablo section, but the sad thing is that there were a lot of bees, and especially by the bar, whether it was the pool bar or beach bar, I mentioned it that I am allergic to bees and they should spray to remove the bees, one day they did, then the rest of the week they didn't, I actually had a bee in my drink, I mentioned this to the Don Pablo lounge manager, their response is the sweet drinks bring the bees. So caution bring spray for bees. The security guards at the beech do a great job, except one day, a couple thought it would be nice to move some beech chairs in front of the Don Pablo section and enjoy the sun, well the security guard told them that they need to move since this is for the pink bands here, the couple said we will only be there for one hour and then they will move, which was wrong, if you didn't pay for the service then you should move, I said something that it isn't fair to the rest of the paying customers, so they moved. The one thing that is a good thing that the Don Pablo section does at the pool is if you leave your towels under a canopy for more than one hour and haven't been there, they will remove your belongings which is good, what we would do is mention it to the waitress to either to the pool or the beach that we are going to lunch or for a walk and will be back not to remove our belongings. The shows at the square are held late they start at 10:00 p.m. and in my opinion it's too late especially when you are out all day in the sun. Plus the shows need improvement, we were expecting amazing shows like the ones at the Bahia in Dominican. The disco well it smells like mold, and the security guards don't watch for under aged kids. Also the sports bar is so small not even worth to be kept open, the slots machine are so outdated. The Karokee bar, get in early enough to get a seat, and the service in there is so slow and the same people sign up to sing songs. How boring, we left after a while. The time we enjoyed ourselves is at the terrace, listening to Michelle Black she was amazing. The music at the pool was so boring, same music over and over. The entertainment at the Don Pablo section of the pool is so low key, other than half way through the day, there is aerobics, but other than that, nothing happening. The section of the pool area, they allowed kids to walk through our area, which is wrong. The beach towels, to get a new one you have to return your old towel and get a new one, but there are mornings that there are no towels, so we take it back to our room and dry them on the balcony and then re-use them. which is silly. So overall the place is amazing, the few issues that I listed is important to know. There are plenty of restaurants to go to and the food is always good, if you miss the time slotted and decide to go to the buffet no disappointment. The beach is nice you can walk for ever and the water is never wavy or deep. We brought our travel mugs, but I noticed that they never rinsed the mugs, so the first few days I got sick from that, and then we used their mugs. Every time I requested more water in our room we got it, and brought it to the beach or pool and get ice to drink and stay hydrated. Be on the look out for the staff to try and get you for signing up with the privilege club, we heard from some of the guest that signed up and are so disappointment with the service, not much of a difference than booking with Don Pablo section. The other thing that you should be aware of is that you get a notice under your door if you are willing to stay at their other resorts in Negril and they will pay you 150 US per room, and stay there for 3 days, well we heard from other people that did that, once they got to Negril after 3 hour bus ride, there were no rooms for them, as they overbooked, it's not worth 150 US, then go back to the resort in a different room. The resort is very nice and will go back, the people are very helpful in some areas, Bring lots of dollar bills, You tip you get good service, if you don't you won't. The restaurant by the beach is where the jerk chicken is cooked, what a huge line up, and very warm there, we went there once, so we my husband can try it, but very uncomfortable to eat, with the heat and all the bugs around the food, and people going to lunch in bathing suits, that should be covered up, not very appetizing at all. They have steel band playing and it's very nice to listen to. We would go there again, or perhaps Negril, We stayed in building 23, and on the 6th floor the elevator's are always working, I would not recommend staying on the main floor, too many bugs, and too many people cut through there to get to the other side of the buildings, The resort is big, but not as big as Bahia in Dominican that you need trams, it's all walking so if you can't walk that far, this resort is not for you, as I mentioned earlier the beach is not close to the resort. There were nights that there were things happening at the Don Pablo section outdoor entertainment but we didn't find out about it until the next day, so there is no advertising on that at all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank my_lovely43

Dear User of Trip Advisor,

We appreciate you have let us know your remarks about your stay in our beautiful resort. Thank you for pointing out, that you found overall more positives than negatives during your stay. On the other hand, we have felt disappointed to learn that you left our property not totally happy and we apologize for the inconveniences.

We ensure our managements will be looking into all of your observations and will make the necessary changes and corrections to avoid these situations in the future.

Thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica; we sincerely hope that we will be afforded with the opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Jamaica.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We went our family of ( 4 kids 2adults) they screwed up our rooms wouldn't give us a cot my 5 year old had to sleep on the floor on couch cushions.. They ran out of plates towels pillows and food constantly at the buffet.. The food rarely changes and is mediocre and the customer service is terrible along with most of the servers either absolutely miserable or getting yelled at by their manager in the corner... We would never go here again or book with transat holidays

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Dwctkl

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments on Trip Advisor because your opinion is of great help to us in our effort to improve and achieve our main objective therefore we would like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience in service that you have received. We are truly sorry that we could not met all of your expectations.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My 2 kids, 24 and 17 and I stayed June 18 - 26th. We were in 13-208, the view was not great but the balcony was huge which I loved, it was easy to store the snorkeling gear and pool floats. The stairs got a little old as this room is by the lobby so 2 flights of stairs up then 1 flight down. But really they were not an issue we just made sure we didn’t forget anything.

Our room was always clean and the AC was COLD we kept having to turn it down and we did not need the key card to work it. There were never any washcloths as people have stated so we brought our own, no big deal.

The food was good in the buffets we had no problem with food being cold or them running out of anything. The al a carts were easy to get reservations to, we tried The Don Pablo, The Grill and I think it was Pisces? Our favorite was The Grill; the others were ok but too fancy for our taste, the steak at The Grill was great! We ate lunch every day at the Jerk Hut on the beach and it was amazing (the jerk sauce is HOT, put it on the side until you try it)!!!!

The pool was clean and fun, we stayed by the activity pool and played the pool games, volleyball and water polo as well as bingo and even won a bottle of rum playing mini golf. The swim up bar was never too crowded that we could not get a drink. We were able to get clean towels every day, sometimes there was a wait but no big deal.

The swimming beach is beautiful; it’s not very deep and has nice fine sand you can walk out all the way to the rope barrier where there are people on boats selling their goods. There are no real waves so if that’s your thing this may not be the place for you.

The snorkeling beach was a great surprise. Yes it is a pebble beach but the snorkeling is very good. We took bread from the Jerk Hut when we were snorkeling and the fish would swarm. We even saw some barracuda and a sea snake. We take our own gear but if you don’t be prepared the water sport hut will give you equipment however you need to give them 50$ cash per set as a deposit. Not that big of deal if you know about it 1st and don’t have to hike all the way back to the room.

We never had any issues with the staff being rude everyone was really nice and helpful. Tips were never expected but we always tipped for good service. I would like to give a shout out to Garfield (aka Kitty Cat) and Stretch from the water sport staff they were great fun and we will keep in contact with them for sure.

Tommy (who also works at the resort) is a licensed taxi driver and is great! Contact him for any trips its cheaper and easier than going through the tour companies 1-876-594-9649. We did the Blue Hole, River tubing, Dunns River and the Luminous Lagoon. I would highly suggest the Blue Hole and the Luminous Lagoon both were great and when we go back we will defiantly do them again!

Bugs were never any issues at the resort and we only had a problem with mosquitos when we went to the Luminous Lagoon, if you go wear bug spray!!

I will return to this resort and have no issues recommending it to anyone, for next year they will complete the expansion having true beach front rooms complete with new pools, I can’t wait to see them and will stay in one if I can.

I don’t think the upgrade would have been worth it for us, we would not have used the private pools (nothing going on there) the only benefit I see would be the free wifi (but I was happy my kids could not spend all day on it anyway) and the free safe.

If you have any questions let me know.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank brittann

Dear Valued Guest,

First of all we would like to say thank you for the choosing the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica. We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed our room, balcony, food, pool; beach, entertainment and also that you got to see a little part of our beautiful Jamaican Island.

On behave of the General Manager and staff we would like to say thank you for giving us the opportunity to make you vacation a special one, see you soon.

If you need any help for you future booking please feel free to contact us at any time.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Beautiful entrance along with the desk on the right to welcome you with a drink. Was surprised that we had to pay $6 per day for our room safe. Over to the side we stop by to do reservations to the many restaurants offered. You are able to book 3 for a one week stay. The Picasso restaurant and located to the left pass the main buffet ALL the way down to the end and is the only one where the men do have to wear dress pants and dress shoes and it was very good. The Mikado Japanese is located to the right of the main buffet and does not put on a big show but do cook a nice meal, you can dine in and order off the menu. The Garden Grill Steak house restaurant which is next to the pool and was very delicious. We were given 2 key cards and I did ask for an extra one because once you enter the room on your right you slide in a card to activate the power so we left it in all week to keep the air-conditioner on. Also they say you need a key for the safe to pay $6 a day but it did work without it. Do a 4 # code then press the A button and turn the dial. They do not leave facecloth so we left a message to leave us some for the next time our room would be cleaned. The beach in front of the resort was not used instead everyone would go to the far left to the resort where the beach is beautiful and lot more sand. If you walk to the end there was a sign which is a private nude beach and very respectable. Not very big area but comfortable. There is a bar right outside the fence in area. The snack bar is located at the start of the beach then you pass by the VIP then shortly on the beach. If you bring a banana or bread with you from your breakfast then hold a piece under water where the rocks are at the start of the beach and the fish will eat from your fingers. White fish, yellow and black ones. Also the beach in front of the resort have lots of fish there also near the rocks. Once on the bigger beach you can see coloured building and upstairs from there is where the shops are and nightly entertainment. The front lobby area also has someone singing but do arrive early to get good seats for the Michael Jackson show. You are able to get 1 hour of free internet per day in the lobby. Beautiful Honeymoon. Great food, water and sunset! Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank ToddK102

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read your comment, and happy to learn that we did not disappoint you; we are pleased to know that you enjoyed our room, entertainments, resturants, beach and food.

Thank you for your remarks; and we do hope to see you again in the near future at our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, a 5 star experience in the Caribbean.

Yours respectfully,