“Treated like royalty!”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed at the GBPJ July 5 - 12. What can I say... Thank you so much for making my Vacation Perfect! I've been to many hotels all through the Caribbean 20 plus trips and I have never been treated so well anywhere! I want to send out a very huge Thank You to Loraine Broderick who went above and beyond the call of duty. You really made our vacation special! I would recommend this resort to anyone! We will be back! Thanks again to all the staff from the Bellmen to the waiters/waitress bartenders to the maids thank you! Jamie & Jennifer Toronto Canada

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Jamie B
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Jamie & Jennifer,

First we would like to say on behalf of the Management and staff of the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, Thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination. We are elated to know that you had a wonderful stay and we do extend your thank you to all the staff at the resort especially Loraine Broderick.

Thank you for recommending our resort and we do hope to see you soon. If you need any assistance with your future booking please do not hesitation to contact us.

Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at this resort with a big group of about 50 people for my buddies wedding. And let me tell you we had an awesome time! The food at the buffet was excellent! By far the best I've ever had at an all inclusive resort. The service was great as was the staff. They never complained when our group had our nightly guitar sing-a long's on the balcony by the piano bar and even made sure we had enough rum, mix, and ice to last us well into the a.m! This was my first trip to Jamaica (I have always been a big Mexico fan) but I will definitely go back and too this same resort! If it ain't broke don't fix it that's my motto and this resort suits me just fine:)

Room Tip: Be sure to choose a room with an ocean view the higher up the better! Mosquitoes tend to get in the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank NFLD_Traveller

Dear Valued Guest,

It is always a pleasure to know that our guest were happy with their stay with us. We would like to say special thanks for giving us the opportunity to share in the special moment with you and your friends on their wedding day. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed the service of our great staff and that our food at the buffet was excellent.

Thank you for choosing the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica the best resort in the Caribbean.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Had stayed June 30-July 11-2014,we had booked for a family of 4 to stay at this resort to find out that it was only booked for 2 people.The front desk had said the rooms were overbooked as I had paid for this well before to 2 months before arriving,the front desk said to me that you can come by the next day and see if there is a room available honestly how can we waste our vacation looking for other rooms as we thought that 2 months would be ample time to prepare a proper room.2nd issue we had is the sliding door in room would not close we had called 4 times and waited over 4 and a half hours for someone to come up and repair this,I have spoken to other guests and have had similar issues.The fully stocked mini bar is a joke as it only has 2 beers,2 waters,4 pops.We had stayed at the Riu in Ocho Rios this was far better in amenities,service and entertainment.

Room Tip: stay in the 18000 block ocean view rooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank giapartimou

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to acknowledge that we have received your reviews and thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Our guest opinion is of great importance to us because it helps to improve our customer service. In regards to the situations that you encountered whiles on property, we spoke with the relevant department heads to ensure that these incidents are resolved so that it will not cause any further inconvenience.

Again we would like to extend our apologies to you and your family and hope that this will not tarnish your perception of the hotel.

Yours Respectfully,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was first all inclusive and also my first time in Jamaica. It was a fantastic time. My boyfriend and I needed a little time away from the U.S. and this was a great choice. We stayed for 4 nights in the middle of June. The only real issue or problem (that didn't really bother us) was that our room was on the first floor, so we could hear a lot of foot traffic throughout all hours of the day/night. Other than that, it was great! The bartenders were all very happy to make me a Miami Vie (so yummy!) and we drank more Red Stripe than I ever imagined. The hibachi dinner was delicious. Also, I'm not a big buffet fan, but the buffets always had a bunch a delicious food! If you are a picky eater, there is a kid's section that has chicken fingers and what not, but the buffet food was so broad, you would have to find something you enjoy. At the jerk hut there is the jerk chicken (yum) and the curried goat (double yum). The shows at night were great, especially the Michael Jackson one. The beach is nice; I would recommend walking down towards the end because the bar service is faster and there are less people over there. We stayed at the resort everyday, except for one excursion to the Dunn's River Falls. We took the Chukka tour with the Catamaran there and it was awesome! Highly recommended to do this tour if you want to climb the falls. Also-you get an hour of free wifi every day in the lobby! Not bad because at night they serve drinks down there and there is a steel drum band. Checked my email and got a drink/show! All in all, this was a great resort filled with great people. If i every return to Jamaica I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danielle l

Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for your positive remarks and for sharing your experience with us. We are satisfied to know that you are happy with our Hotel in general.

We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you again at our property.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband, 2 children and myself just completed a week at GBPJ and overall we enjoyed ourselves. However, there are some things that could have made our vacation much better....I will elaborate as the review goes on.

Room: Our room was in the main building and was quite central. The AC was adequate but not strong per se. We talked to two other families and they had issues throughout the week. We requested an extra key and simply left it in the keyhole so that it would run all day. The one day we lost power for about 2-3 hours and the room was muggy throughout the night. Beds were OK as was the bathroom - nothing too elaborate but sufficient. We were very far away from the ocean so that was a tad disappointing but nevertheless you could still see the ocean hence the "oceanview."

Food: The food was above average in my opinion. Like all AI's, it can get repetitive but we split our 3 ala carte reservations and that seemed to minimize the monotony of eating at the buffet all the time. Don Pablo was an excellent dinner...the chateaubriand was seared perfectly and seasoned wonderfully. I could say this for all steaks at this resort. Not many people did this, but we had steak every night at the buffet. It was available if you requested it. We did tip the chef a couple of bux every night at the buffet but that was well worth it. The Japanese ala carte was so-so....nothing compared to the Jap food we get here back at home but then again, I didnt expect much so I wasnt that greatly disappointed. I would eat Thursday nights at the buffet since they have Lobster tails readily available if you want to satisfy your seafood itch. Breakfast was yummy - had no issues with bacon being available and the two guys working the omelette stations did an outstanding job. The Pasta stations were a big hit with the kids as it was piping hot every night as they make it for you right there. I'm sure you've already read the raving reviews of the Jerk chicken and it is 100% true. Big chunks of white chicken breast cooked to perfection - not too dry and exquisitely seasoned. Sauces were extremely tasty as well. The biggest disappointment for us was the dessert - seemed like everything was of the boxed variety and didn't taste at all authentic. Fruit was readily available but I only had mangos on one of the nights.

Beach and Pool: The beach in front of the resort was very pebbly and watershoes are a must. Not only for the pebbles, but there are quite a few sea urchins in the water. Good variety of fish but nothing spectacular. The beach way out to the left is much nicer to wade in....very shallow for about 100 yards out and the water is crystal clear. The locals come out at lunch selling conch sells and necklaces but the gem of them all is that they serve fresh seafood as well. They had seared Lobster and Crab and we got a good size lobster for $20 that was seasoned perfectly and was smothered with green peppers and onions. It was a nice change from the Jerk chicken and he was making a killing every day with the number of people that were buying it. The Pool was beautiful...4 feet throughout the meandering pool and was warm throughout our vacation. All the huts are gone by 7:30 so if you want shade, you will have to give up some beauty sleep in order to reserve your spot. Huts were available throughout the days at both beaches.

Alcohol/Drinks: We found the drinks to be quite syrupy and the wine was barely drinkable. We prefer our mixed drinks to be prepared with a blender but most of the drinks were premade and dispensed from a slushie machine. Beer was nice and cold and was mainly Red Stripe but adequate. We tipped every time we got drinks and found that all bartenders were attentive and quick to serve.

Overall we had a nice trip and the kiddies enjoyed themselves. This was our third trip to Jamaica so we did not do any excursions this time around. The stifling heat in the restaurants and the main lobby was at times unbearable and as a result, we rate our experience about a 3.5. Both my husband and myself brought cologne and perfume (both of our workplaces have gone fragrance free) to distribute and this was so welcomed by the cleaning staff and our room attendant. We also brought many of our kids toys that were no longer being used and left them on our bed and this was welcomed as well. It's nice to see gestures like this well appreciated and comforting to know that they will be put to good use.

Room Tip: Higher floor to avoid mosquitos...bring watershoes if you want to snorkel...free up Thursday nights...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Sabrina L
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the tikme to post your opinion in Trip Advisor.

Of course, we really appreciate your comments that always us the opportunity to improve our services and to ensure that all our guest are satisfied with our level of service.

In the name of our General Manager and all our Staff members we would like to thank you for vacationing with us and we do hope to see you in the near furture again.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've stayed at several destination spots and by far my favourite spots are with the Bahia Principe chain of hotels. Hotel rooms are clean, big balconies, lots of activities and great entertainment. Resort was well laid out and had plenty of amenities. The beach was beautiful. I found the server and entertainment staff to be delightful but the reception and information area staff were not nearly as friendly as they could have been. This resort is also very far from the airport (1 hr drive) and although it's a beautiful property, we basically had to cut our vacation 1.5 days short because of the bus transfer times to/from the resort.
I found the gift shop pricey. Definitely the resort shopping area was more reasonable. The entertainment was fabulous! The lobby and outdoor patios were also a really great atmosphere. The food was phenomenal; especially the fish dishes. Overall, a good stay.

Room Tip: We were in the main bldg which I found a bit noisy. I would try and pick something closer to the bea...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JF_1980

Dear Guest,

We always try to give our customers more than they ever dream during their vacation in our Hotel. That’s why we are very glad to know that we were able to provide you one of the most best vacation holiday.

Thank you for taking time from your holiday to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

It was a pleasure to host you at our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

If it weren't for the friendly and accomodating staff, I would rate this resort a 4 star. This is a nice vacation property except for a few quirks. We stayed there July 7th thru July 14th, We booked the Don Pablo section which is advertised as the luxury section, wing of the resort. There are a lot of things thats lacking before thay can truly called it a Luxury section. Almost all their rooms have 2 double beds instead of a king bed, so if you go with your wife or significant other, be prepared for this reality. It would also be nice if the Don Pablo pool which is very close by had a swim up bar like all the other sections of the resort. The beach is a long trek away, so forget about your flip flops and bring some walking shoes, another thing, their is a roped off section designated for the Don Pablo guests that is far from being exclusive. Apart from the ropes and a sign, no different from the other section. We just simply didn't feel like we got our money's worth at this resort. Didn't meet our expectation based on the advertised hype. We don't see ourselves vacationing there in the future, at least not with the intention of having a "Luxury vacation" at a much lower cost.

Very dissapointed!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank carjob1
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback about your stay at our Resort. We really appreciate your recommendations that always represent an opportunity to improve our services, products and human resources.

Thank you so much again for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica as your holiday Resort.

Yours sincerely,

Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!