Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$588
US$330
  • Breakfast included
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$543
US$326
  • Breakfast included
Franklyn D. Resort & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$455
Silver Creek Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$99
Cardiff Hotel & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$146
Piper's Cove Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$95
Club Ambiance(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$68
TripAdvisor
Salem Resorts(Runaway Bay)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
11,924 results
All reviewsjerk chickengold clubdon pablothe grilla la carte restaurantstime sharedolce vitakaraoke barbeach snack barmain buffetnude beachair transatjapanese restaurantorchid buffetface clothsair canadatowel hut
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2014

If you enjoy air conditioning, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! There is no A/C in the main dining room nor is there A/C in any of the restaurants. It's hard to eat in so much heat, and it was one excuse after the other as to why it wasn't on. To add insult to injury the A/C in our room didn't work properly and despite numerous calls and pleas the staff was less than forthcoming with assistance in getting it fixed. Since we didn't have A/C in our room, we were eaten alive by the mosquitoes. Also, the room was cleaned every day but for some reason the floor was always dirty. I had to always walk around the room in sandals. As for the food, every morning the buffet would run out of bacon WITHOUT FAIL. One would think that the staff would take notice but it was like Groundhog's Day every day at the buffet. Bacon may not seem like a big deal but if you're used to a regular eggs and breakfast meat kind of breakfast then bacon is the only breakfast meat available.... when it's available. Sometimes getting simple things like a refill on coffee or a plate for food were difficult to achieve. FINALLY, whatever you do don't get fooled into talking to the "Welcome Package" ladies. They just want to waste your time and try to sell you a time share. They are resilient so you must be as well. Not only would I not recommend this resort to a friend, I will NEVER stay at a Gran Bahia Resort anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Naomi R
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We would like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience that was cause and take your feedback areas for improvement.

Yours Respectfully,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Grand Bahia is a beautiful resort and the beach and water is awesome, the food is good but the only down side to it was there were too many stairs so when you have a knee problem that is difficult. Th e staff was wonderful and if you have a problem it was taken care of immediately.

Room Tip: You have free wifi in the lobby but not the rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kim K

Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us knows that you enjoyed a wonderful vacation in our hotel Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed the beach, food and the service of our wonderful staff. We are happy to know that you exceeding your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I will start by saying that this resort was overall okay. The food was pretty good and the beach was absolutely beautiful. However, I have a few concerns regarding this resort. Firstly, all travelers should be informed that you are not guaranteed the room that you have booked. For example, if you have requested two double beds, the Bahia states that you are only guaranteed a room in general. So you may end up with a room with one bed and their solution is to provide you with an additional cot. It is not possible to get two queen beds for the record. Also, their main eating area is not air conditioned. Actually most of the Bahia is not air conditioned. You don't have many options to escape the heat. The room can get extremely hot and uncomfortable especially if you have kids. Also, the entertainment was awful. There was not much variety and every night consisted of similar dance routines. It would have been nice to see a variety of comedy shows, dancing and plays as I have seen at other Bahia resorts. For individuals that have children, be aware that this resort is about an hour and 15 minutes from the airport and is not part of a major city. So there is not much to do outside the resort unless you travel to Ocho Rios or back to Montego bay.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, make sure you let them know. I would recommend a higher floor rather than the first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tarisha S

Dear Valued Guest,

It is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed our food & beautiful beach. Regarding your concerns and recommendations we would like to inform you that we will take into consideration and we will forward your comments to the relevant departments so that immediate actions are taken.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns.

Yours Respectfully,

Cassandra Gentle

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Great service, friendly. Food was very good. The entrainment staff is fabulous. We truly had a great time! The only complaint I had was it was warm in the restaurants, however it was July in Jamaica. The jerk chicken was the best I've ever had, if you go plan on eating lunch everyday at the outdoor buffet that serves the jerk chicken! The scenery is absolutely stunning and food is great!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Duffboatguy

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our Management and staff here at the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica we would like to say thank you for your positive comments and we are indeed happy to know that you have enjoyed your vacation to the fullest. We do appreciate that you enjoyed especially the service of our entertainment staff, our famous Jamaican jerk chicken, food and our amazing service overall.

We do look forward to host you again in the near future.

Yours Truthfully,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We booked a family vacation at this resort and it was acceptable, however the hotel is at best a very good four-star and definitely not a five-star as they have branded themselves, even on the entrance wall outside the premises.
The pictures of the property that are on the Internet and on the hotel’s website are accurate the property is clean, well-kept and very picturesque. The swimming pool is definitely constructed with the family in mind.
I find the entire staff okay to deal with although they don’t seem to smile very often perhaps that’s the nature of the people in the country but it wasn’t a problem for me.
I feel to be a proper five-star hotel, is like playing in the Premier league and to be at the top everything has to be in order I have the following comments.
WELCOME BREAKFAST.
This is definitely a cover to try and sell you a timeshare of some sort or to get you to upgrade to a more expensive package however they would like to sugar-coat it, it is definitely a sales pitch to get you to spend more money or to make a commitment to their group of hotels. I find this practice very off-putting it should not be allowed and I recommend that this is discontinued with immediate effect. People spend quite a lot of money to come to the resort to start with and they are not expected to spend any more and it’s quite intimidating to be put in a position to answer questions or should I say leading questions especially on the first morning of your vacation. This must be stopped.
BREAKFAST, (LUNCH DUNNER)
In the variable, this was okay forward itself was fine and there was lots to choose from although I found it very odd that curried chicken was also on offer for breakfast, this wasn’t a problem for me because there was a wide range of staff to choose from.
The only problem I found was there always seemed to be a very long queue to get in and there seems to be a lot of empty tables waiting to be used although it has to be said that the empty tables are not serviced fast enough so that could be a staffing issue especially if the Hotel recognise that they were full to capacity. On one occasion we were sat down at a table we had no cutlery so I had to go and fetch them for my family and we were finished eating and ready to leave before we were offered hot beverages, this is definitely not a five star service… Lunchtime and evening meal was pretty much the same in terms of getting the tables ready fast enough for the guests to sit and enjoy their meal.
Both lunch and evening meal gave you a good selection of food to choose from and the snack bar provided a reasonable selection of foods as well.
FINISHES etc
I felt that the finishes on the furniture and the interior of the rooms and bathrooms are not up to five-star standard, as an interior designer when I look at the quality of the finishes on the wall from the hotel this could never have passed my quality control the walls are rough, the tiling in the bathrooms are done to very sub standard, the shower cubicle ceiling kept moving out of place when we open the balcony door because of the draft from the wind

tends to affect the suspended ceilings, the thick heavy curtains and net curtains needs to be changed more often and at the furniture in general needs proper maintenance ---the dressing table (dresser) was taken over by termites and is rotting away and they door to the minibar had no doorstop so it went in further than needed to….. Attention has to be taken to every detail if you are to in my eyes considered as a bonafide five-star hotel..
The daily activities and the nighttime entertainment including the nightclub was just okay not exceptional
Again, for a five-star accommodation I shouldn’t have to pay US$80.00 for Wi-Fi for the duration of my stay there… For the privilege of using my computer in my room… I felt like this was a total rip-off.
In conclusion it is pretty hard if I have to recommend a family hotel in Jamaica, having stayed at the beaches Boscobel on two previous occasions I might have to give them the edge over the bahia principe.
The hotel is absolutely fine I have based my comments on the fact that the Hotel is marketed as a five-star accommodation which it is definitely not according to my experience and my observation at best a reasonable four-star

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Orville M

Dear User of Trip Advisor,

Thank you for taking the time out to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor about your recent stay with us. Your opinion is of great help to us to improve on our facilities and service. We do take note of your concerns regarding the service in the buffet area, time share and maintenance issues in the room that you have encountered during your stay. We also acknowledge that you enjoyed our variety of foods, daily activities, nightly entertainment, night club, pool and grounds.

We do hope that you will accept our apologies and hope that this does not tarnish your perception of our hotel.

Your Sincerely,