“Incredible resort”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
St. Stephen, Canada
“Incredible resort”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were married here in September of 2011… I'm relatively new to writing reviews and trip advisor won't let me put in the correct date. I'd like to start by saying this resort fulfilled our expectation of a dream wedding. Down to the very last detail everything went off without a hitch. The staff was incredibly courteous, the resort itself was beautiful, well maintained and exceptionally equipped no matter what your desire, and the food was some of the best we've had at any all inclusive. If you've never had jerk chicken before you're in for a spicy treat! Unlike most of the Caribbean, Jamaica is incredibly unique (Dunn's River Falls is a MUST) and you'll be hard pressed to find friendlier more endearing people. We're absolutely in love with the country and have been back several times since our wedding. I'll spare you the details of everything available as the website does a fine enough job at that and just finish by saying that you won't be disappointed with a stay here.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Jeremy T
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear User of Trip Advisor,

We are more than pleased to know that your dream wedding was a success in September 2011 at our beautiful resort. We are happy to know that you found our staff to be incredibly and courteous and that we have exceeded all your expectations.

Thank you for staying loyal to the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica throughout the years and we do look forward to hosting you and your family again soon.

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,160)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We just got back from heaven ...spend 10 days from aug 4 to aug 13 2014 if you dont want to bother your self with small issues you can get a best vacation in your life ,when i say small issues i mean little better maintenance in the rooms ,there all ok just maintenance.
I am not a picky person looking for bad things, im just looking for nice things and that is 99% that you will get at GRAND BAHIA PRINCIPE in JAMAICA .

Before we booked this hotel i read all bad reviews first (i think most people do this) and there were lot of thing that is not true or maybe we didnt experience it .

FOOD AWESOME
HOSPITALITY AWESOME
PEOPLE FRIENDLY AWESOME
HOTEL AWESOME
LANDSCAPE DECORATION AROUND THE HOTEL AWESOME

You not going to feel any pressure from stuff or waiters... nobody, that is the most what bother me when i go on vacation.

You going to eat a best food ever, some people complaint about Japanese food ,i would tell you something if i want real Japanese food i would go to Japan and eat it (i would like to try jerk chicken in Japan).
I saw that those people in the kitchen doing their best, who ever understand somebody staying behind the grill when its 100 degrees outside .
One thing for sure you can gain 3-5 pounds easy because of all that tasty food.
Dont be cheap try those waiters with few bucks and you would see what happen after

Dont miss JERK CHICKEN at the snack bar WOW love it .

We got a ground level room that we didnt like, i ask to change it NO PROBLEM but again you have to understand there is the rules and hotel policy,you going to get another room next day at 3pm so relax be nice with people and they would be twice as nice to you.

Remember JAMAICA NO PROBLEM .

This is for the management ...please guys majority of your stuff is hard working people im going to name few of them here and please take care of these guys,

KEVIN i dont know does this guy ever sleep ,such a nice friendly guy who have time for everybody.

OBED very nice person who provide squba quatic ,diving ,sunset etc. also have time for everybody at this place ,so look for this guy please you would find him next to snack bar at the beach.

RASHELE very nice person who going to take you around if you are interested in privilege club membership

Main restaurant EVERYBODY friendly, waiters specially diner time OMG what else you want.

BEST BEST BEST WISHES AND THANK YOU BAHIA PRINCIPE THANK YOU JAMAICA FOR HOSPITALITY THANK YOU FOR BEST 10 DAYS AFTER MY HARD WORK,THANKS FOR EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING.

REMEMBER BE NICE TO PEOPLE AND THEY WOULD BE TWICE AS NICE TO YOU...
ROOM 22612

SEE YOU GUYS NEXT YEAR ALL THE BEST FROM THE GUY WITH JAMAICA HAT

Room Tip: Majority of the room got ocean view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It is a pleasure to read your positive feedback on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know that you are happy with your stay and that you enjoyed the food, hospitality, friendly staff, landscape decoration around the hotel and the famous Jamaican jerk chicken.

Yours Faithfully,

Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed 14 August 2014

A large resort where the don pablo members are at the rear of the hotel because those are the newest rooms. Took advantage of the 24 hour room service and spent most of the time in the don pablo collection reserved pool. Jerk shack was good but long lines and at the other end of the resort. Beach are was very nice but large sea weed paths limit fun. If your looking for quiet getaway this is not the place. But for family and large crowds, you will enjoy the amenities. Buffet was just ok cuts of meat were very pedestrian and selection and variety limited. Themed restaurants were just ok but staff was available and did aim to please. Did enjoy the private check in with the don pablo but all in all would have probably enjoyed a Riu vacation much more. There is a resentment between the don pablo and the regular guests.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rorozco999
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor because your opinion is of great help to us in our effort to improve and achieve our main objective. We are satisfied to know that you have enjoyed your vacation.

Thank you for choosing the Grande Bahia Principe Jamaica.

Yours Sincerely,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 August 2014

we have been going to Jamaica for 30 years and this hotel is the worst we have ever visited... Poor food, dirty rooms, no towels, no coffee, bed was like a bag of rocks...No air conditioning in the restaurants, Save your money and Stay away...

Room Tip: If you want a good room... go to another hotel... !!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Bazmon
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We would like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience that was cause and take your feedback areas for improvement.

Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I traveled alone I stayed at Gran Bahia 8/2-8/9, 2014. This resort is clean, gorgeous and well-manicured. This is my experience, upon arrival I was immediately greeted in the club golden check in offered a sweet cold drink which I could not drink too sweet for me. I spoke with the representative for about 5 minutes there was several people waiting for their rooms when I arrived, I was given an orange iridescent bracelet. The representative gave us envelopes with information and our room keys, she briefly explained everything regarding the resort and she immediately checked to see if our rooms were ready. The complete check in took about 15 minutes. She informed me that my room was ready this was about maybe a little after 2:30 pm. This process was very quick and my room being ready right away is a plus.

Get ready to walk a lot, get ready to shower a lot, get ready to sweat a lot.
I stayed at another Gran Bahia property the Luxury Gran Bahia Principe Ambar in Punta Cana last year I give the Punta Cana 10+ I give this one in Jamaica 7+. The cleanliness, hospitality and hard working staff is the same. The food at Punta Cana is better in my opinion and no bracelets. Anyway I walked to my room; this resort is "huge" so this may not be ideal for someone who has difficulty walking a lot. They do have elevators which only a few times were not working; yes the halls are sweltering hot, a lot more tolerable at night. Upon entering my room it was gorgeous, huge, clean, flat panel TV, my air conditioner was so cold I had to turn it off at night as I was shivering. The bed in my opinion very comfortable, the pillows comfortable. I stayed on the 5th floor with a great view of the ocean, pool and no mosquito's. I received fresh bathroom towels daily, and housekeeping kept me supplied with out of the bag new wash cloths during my entire stay. I asked housekeeping about the wash cloth problem I just assumed guests were stealing them. The one problem I did have was there was no blue beach towel in my room for the beach as this was to be included in the club golden package. I never fussed about it as I never got in the water anyway. The refrigerator is stocked with sodas, beer, water, and banana chips. I had the maid remove the sodas and only fill my fridge with water and banana chips, no problem. I left $5 us dollars per day for the day maid and $3 us dollars daily for the night maid. They took excellent care of me and took immediate care of my requests. They have a safe in the room, which I did not use; I used my own safe I travel with which comes with a secured cable so no problems there. Water pressure very good, water gets very hot so be careful. My toilet stopped up I called for a plunger it arrived in 15 minutes, very good. The room service delivery excellent every order I made was delivered every item I ordered was correct, I tipped room service $3 us dollars per delivery. Room service menu not so good, some nights and days some of the already limited menu items were not available. I could not eat any more Caesar salads they also have other items I could not eat like hotdogs, and burgers. I went through so many St. Mary’s banana chips they are amazingly delicious.

The jerk chicken is so so so so good moist, juicy, fresh, tender and the sauce takes it over the top. My room was right across from the jerk center I tried to eat the chicken every day and they give you as much as you want. They serve the chicken at 12 noon, with other additions like corn on the cob, crawfish, salads, bread, rice and beans, very nice atmosphere right at the water. Watch out for the crows they will steal food off of your plate if you leave you plate unattended. The drinks were good I just asked for extra rum, plain rum on the rocks instead of mainly icy sweet syrup my request was filled every time with a smile. The staff was very friendly, nice and accommodating. I only observed one female waiter she looked angry and frustrated like she did not want to be there, other than her everyone else was wonderful. The food at the buffets some very good some good some you may not like.
I ate at the Don Pablo and the grill restaurants. The food was good at both in my opinion.
Don Pablo has a jumbo exhaust fan in the restaurant to keep the place cool, it is true no air conditioning. However it was not hot to me the sun setting and dining in the evening was a big plus for keeping the restaurant cool. I ate at Palymra adults only buffet every day, very quiet, partially empty very nice. I had omelets there from the omelet station very good. Only one morning did it get hot there when I was eating it was very uncomfortable, I could not wait to leave. Thursday is lobster night accompanied with garlic butter. The nude beach very nice except for a few perverts some were guests. I used this beach 6 of my 8 days stay no worries security posted on the other side of the gate. I had one of the locals prepare for me grilled lobster and fish on the beach delicious. I went to the Michael Jackson show which is only on Sundays the show was good. The Michael Jackson impersonator this resort has is Punta Cana resembles Michael more in my opinion. They do have sales people everywhere trying to have you buy into the privilege club. I got tired of it why should you have to duck people on your vacation, so my remedy I unplugged my iPod from the TV carried it with me while leaving the building or walking past their booth with the volume turned up high so I could ignore them. That was very irritating that is only thing that made me uncomfortable. A suggestion for them why don’t they give the guests that are interested the choice to meet with them instead of hounding every guest. Before guests arrive at their resort, the guests could choose in their package/itinerary if they are interested, upon arrival these guests could schedule to meet with them problem solved. The Jamaican people are beautiful in spirit, welcoming, and very friendly. I tipped throughout this resort for good service from my heart no one asked or expected. I got tired watching employees constantly cleaning, tending to the grass and running from table to table in the heat they have my respect hard working dedicated employees. I read reviews before arriving, I feel you can make your vacation great, some people can’t be pleased and find reasons to complain. Would I return to this resort yes, would I recommend to others yes.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SCORPION1025
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. It is very important for us to know that all our guest are satisfied with their stay and we are more than happy to know that we have exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your good comments in regards to the grounds, room, jerk chicken, St. Mary banana chips, nude beach, Michael Jackson show, Don Pablo and the Grill restaurant. We are also pleased to know that you enjoyed the service of our hardworking team who strives to give guest nothing but the best quality service at all times.

On Behalf of the Golden club team we would like to say thank you for staying loyal to the Bahia chain and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Best Regards,

Londonderry. Northern Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here 7th - 18th Jul then moved to riu Palace Negril for 3 nights. After staying at Beaches Boscobel 7 years ago and loved it. We decided to return to Jamaica so that our teenage daughter could have lots to do and meet friends just like her older sister did 7 years prior in Boscobel. Firstly, this does not compare to Boscobel but then again you pay for the service there.
Gran Bahia was affordable and the rooms and pool are spacious and very clean. However if you want an umbrella for shade at the pool be prepared to get up at 5.30 to put your towels down. If you want an umbrella at the beach you need to put towels down around 7am. If you don't care about umbrellas then you can get a bed at the pool or beach any time. The entertainment is terrible in the evening and around the bar pool can be very loud especially when the Canadians are in the pool. The buffet is large with lots of choice however was we moved to the Riu Palace in Negril we saw a big difference in the quality of food, so quanity over quality. The most disappointing part of this beautiful hotel GB was the service of the staff. Rude and unless your tipping they're really not interested. Music on the Terrace ends at 10 and the staff make it quite obvious that they want you to move to the entertainment area and again the staff there do the exact same come 11 once thats over to make you move on into the disco. Every night they will move the chairs and ignore your requests for a drink. They obviously have a finishing time and thats that. I have stayed at the Gran Bahia in Mexico i found the staff there the exact same. so for this reason i will never stay at any Gran Bahia again as they don't seem to train their staff on customer service. In saying all that the hotel itself is beautiful and my 17 year old had a great time. This hotel is for families especially with teens.

Room Tip: We asked for block 17 or 18 but got 12. Turned out to be brilliant as it is just around the corner...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank the_long_family197
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Your opinion is of great importance to us as it helps us to improve our services. We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations with the service provided as you would have liked. Please be informed that we have ongoing customer service training which is conducted by the Human Resource department which all team members must attend. Thank you for your invaluable comments that have been reviewed by the managers and we will try our best to improve in this area.

We sincerely apologize and do hope that this situation does not tarnish your perception our hotel chain and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I should have done this review as soon as we got home, however, better late than never!

We travelled with Thomas Cook from the UK, two adults,1 child in August 2013

What can I say.....this hotel is fantastic

I had emailed the hotel prior to arriving to make the ususal special requests, of which we never got allocated any upon arrival....! But fair play to the hotel, they sorted us out very well and we ended up with room 18519 in Block A! You couldnt get a more perfect room on the top floor overlooking the beach - stunning

The best part of the beach is to the left of the hotel and this is where we headed every day....we ended up walking all the way round because on the little sticky out corner the sand, the water, the snorkelling was absolutely perfect. it was also away from the more crowded parts of the beach.

The rooms were always cleaned well with plenty of towels and towel sculptures.

We ate in the main buffet restarant on an evening and the food was exceptional.
The service of the waiting staff was always attentive and more often than not efficient. Very rarely we were left waiting for drinks etc.

We ate in the beach side restaurant on a lunch time because the jerk chicken is to die for and listening to the steel band, just emphasised the chilled out vibe of this hotel.

We did 3 trips during our stay, which were: the bob marley tour - awesome, dunns river falls, out of this world and the Appleton Rum factor/black river - fantastic, especially the bit in the open bar!

All in all, a fantastic holiday, fantastic island, fantastic people and awesome vibe - loved Jamaica and can not wait to return one day

Room Tip: ask for A Block 5th floor and specifically 18519 - awesome view of the beach
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jo M
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for your positive feedback and for sharing your reviews about the beach, snorkel, main buffet, beach restaurant, steel band, room overlooking the beach, Bob Marley tour, Dunn’s river falls and Appleton rum factor in Black river.

We look for to hosting you and your family again in our fantastic hotel, on our fantastic island with fantastic people and awesome vibes. If you need any assistance with your future booking please feel free to contact us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!