“Alright I guess, but nothing special”

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Toronto Ontario
“Alright I guess, but nothing special”
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We stayed at the Grand Bahia on March 30-April 6. We are returning visitors to Jamaica, we love the culture and the people are great, We have some friends that live here and do spend time off the resort. We came to Jamaica the same time last year and stayted at the Riu Ocho Rios.... The Bahia has enchanting breathtaking grounds but thats about it. We went this year with a party of 8 one 3 yr old one 6 yr old and the rest of us in their 20's.
Rooms - The rooms are gorgeous big beatiful beds, nice large bathrooms with jacuzzi tubs. THE MOSQUITOS ARE HORRIBLE......My 6 yr old is covered head to toe in bites as is myself. I called the reception and informed them of the problem.. 'RESULT" they gave me bug spray - - - It didnt work at allllll.....THere were a few occasions that we came back to our room and founf that we had NO electricity at all... this took hours to fix.. (Jamaican Time) not great considering my kids were wet and needed to dry off and get ready for bed....nothing is worse then having a 3 yr old tired and throwing a tantrum cause they are petrified of the pitch black room that nobody seemed to rush to fix.. The T.V broke (iknow were on vacation to hell with T.V) but tucking the kids in and turning on the tube would allow my husband and I a fresh breath of air on the balcony...

FOOD - TOTALLY NOT JAMAICAN - there is no flavour, you eat at the buffet once and get the feeling that everything is major discount and not made to please at all. We got some EXCELLENT FOOD OFF THE RESORT for like 2 $ US.. big container of Jerk Chicken, Rice and Peas, Colslaw.... I just feel overall that this resort wants your hard earned dollars but as soon as they have it thats it, to hell with you, they do not go out of their way to please anyone unless $$$$$ is involved... We are party people we go for the good time and drinks but feel rather ripped off in comparrison to the service you can get at a 3 star elsewhere.
To sum it up - The physical Resort is Great but spend the extra dollar and go to the RIU if you like 5 star, better yet if you like Jamaica you should rent a villa, nicer, cheeper, real culture....

Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank cmckenna1027

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,157)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
La Crosse
Reviewed 9 April 2009

My wife and I just spent a week at this resort (3/28-4/4) and absolutely LOVED it. The food was excellent anywhere we ate. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner! I'm not sure where the people who wrote any negative reviews about the food eat when they are at their homes, but it must be something really special every time. For my wife and I, we were blown away by the good food. Always hot, good variety and excellent taste.
The rooms are large, very clean and beautiful. We never rented the safe for the room and had no problems. The jet tub was nice too.
We thought the staff was very good. We checked in quickly and smoothly. We requested a quiet room and off the ground floor and got it. If we had any problems with the staff, it was a usually due to a language barrier and was quickly resolved. We always had staff getting us more coffee, or drinks, or whatever we needed, usually very quickly.
The pool was never crowded for swimming. It goes and goes in length. Of course some people's main concern on their whole vacation had to be saving a lawn chair by the pool. What idiots! Think about it people....If you just use the chairs when you ACTUALLY want them, there would be plenty and there would be no problems. But no, of course there were MULTIPLE saved lawn chairs around the length of the pool with no one at them all day every day! It was a little frustrating, but we already knew that would be the case before we went down there. We laughed it off. My wife and I may be crazy, but we chose to sleep in on our vacation days. We still found places to sit eventually. I don't consider this a negative feature about this resort. It's a negative feature of the guests that stay there. It's a new trend in all- inclusives I guess.
The beaches we pretty much as described in other reviews. The beach to the left is larger and beautiful. Snorkeling is very good at both beaches. We took our own snorkeling gear along. Snorkel around the gazebo and rock points in front of the resort and then snorkel all the way to the left on the other beach until you're in front of the nude beach and beyond. We saw many small colorful fish, but we also saw a few small Baracudas and 6 large, black sting rays cruising each day! Very fun.
The bars are great. The bartenders served us quickly and smiled when they did it. The main lobby bar and piano bar is an excellent spot in the evenings for a romantic drink or two. Nice atmosphere. I couldn't tell you about any wild nightlife or dancing because we were snoozing by 11 or so each night after a hard day of playing!
Overall this place rocks! It's big, beautiful, clean, with hard working staff and good food and drinks. The location is great because there aren't other resorts right on top of you on each side. The pool, bars, and beaches are fun and clean. The rooms are great. Wouldn't change a thing!

4 Thank ScooterLaCrosse
bahia principie-jamaica
Reviewed 8 April 2009

My daughter and i just got back from the bahia on sunday april 5 09. The weather was great hot and sunny. We found the buffet the best place to eat and service was good. Besides the facecloths issue they need to order more lol. Maid service was excellent. I only have one complaint we were on the 4th floor and our room was not cool at all it was hot to sleep at night time. I would go back here for sure.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank rosiekim430
ontario
Reviewed 8 April 2009

My husband and I are seasoned travellers. I being a recently former flight attendant have stayed at a lot of resorts.

The rooms were beautiful and always clean.

The night shows were very high school variety night style. After staying at the Bahia in Akumal several times this resort entertainment was a huge letdown.

The pool activities in my opinion was run by a group of people too young to realize that the crowd of people around the pool was not into the thump thump thump music that made you vibrate with each heartbeat.(don't get me wrong, we like GOOD music and like it loud) when I suggested that she change the music to get more guests involved in the activities the reply back was "You are in Jamaica, this is rege music". I asked her where the Bob Marley and Shaggy music was then. No effort to satisfy the guest, which we had a group of 10 all complaining about the music and comments from other passerbyers was the same. Rude!!!

The food was very good, no complaints.

The Beach, If you like to wear shoes the whole time walking on the beach, it was fine...

No I would not go back here again, because of the pool staff. They were too interested in what they like not what the guests like. These people should be taught that without us tourist spending the money to go there they HAVE NO JOB!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, Bahia in the Mayan, Akamal is still my favourite and that is why the great dissappointment with this resort in Jamaica.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2009

My husband and I travelled here between Mar 29 and Apr 05 '09. This has been our fifth all inclusive resort, third at a Bahia Principe and our first time in Jamaica. This resort is located in Runaway Bay, distant from the city and surrounded by lush mountains and great ocean views. I particularly liked this location out of the city as it feels more of a paradise, away from it all. It was an hour drive form Montego Bay airport, we flew with Air Canada and paid $1100 tax in pp.

BEACHES - Snorkelling and Main beach. Both calm water and within walking distance. We spent most of our time at the snorkelling beach as we didnt mind the rocky sand, like to snorkel and most importantly it was "sans" loud children. Always sunbeds available here, a waitress would come by twice in a day for your order (although the pool bar is not far to get your own) and a gorgeous wedding gazebo was close by. The best pictures come from this beach.
The main beach was soft white sand, shallow and okay for snorkelling if you swim out far enough to where the seaweed grows. Sunbeds still available midday if you walk further down towards the point in the beach. There is a bar at the point before the nude beach begins (fenced off) and there is also a bar at the resort end of the beach inside the snack bar. We did not partake in any water sports, however, it was available everyday and the staff appeared very accomodating.

POOL - Very large pool with two swim up bars, both open when we were there. The pool breaks off into sections (for cleaning) and includes many cool water jacuzzis and some shallow area for small children. The main section has basketball nets and other activities so if you want to play I suggest you bring your own ball to blow up as the resort only lends out two and some kids prefer to float on theirs sipping slurpies all day not allowing anyone to use them. The pool is a nice temperature, not as cold as some we've been in.
SUNBEDS - they have a mixture of the blue sunbeds and the mattress ones on woodframes (very comfortable) The closest sunbeds will be reserved by 430 am or sometime before people go to bed I believe. The location of beds never mattered to us as there was a swim up bar at either end but many fought for the entertainment and areas close to the lobby. We would bring our towels on the way to breakfast at 7am and get a sunlounger then, usually on the East (right) end of the pool where they were still available.
One morning as we were walking to breakfast in the distance we couldnt see ANY TOWELS reserving the chairs. For the first time we treated ourselves to the padded chairs and noticed a note was left at each section advising that you are not allowed to reserve the sunbeds and everybodys towels and junk were at the towel hut with security. This was wonderful. The people that were up early to enjoy the sun could and the people that reserved them came stumbling along to retrieve their spots at 11 am, some causing arguments some hopefully embarrased. There are signs on the resort saying you cannot reserve them but no one really cared to listen and unfortunately they only played the "no reserve" card once at the end of our week. The families that reserve chairs the night before and come back at 4pm only to take their towels back to the room because they decided on an excursion or whatever it may be, should be ashamed of themselves, but it happens much too often so be aware. But in reality there are plenty of sunbeds at the far side of the pool and ALWAYS by the beaches so don't be discouraged.

POOL BAR - Okay service, some complaints of bartenders taking their time or serving another guest first? Always complaints... Drinks at the pool bar are pre-made for the most part and I recall someone complaining about that. But if the bartender had to blend up a banana every time I went up for a banana mama you would never get through the line, common sense. The best drinks are served at night when people arent spilling them in the pool.
It is also a good idea to bring your travel mugs, less waste, less chance of getting sand in your cup, less going up to the bar, and more drink for you. The workers dont mind, they will clean them out for you when you change your drink choice.

RESORT - Beautiful resort, wheelchair accessible, red carpet hallways with elevators (always slow so we took the stairs) and nothing was too far to walk to. The lobby was elegant and the piano bar was great at night. There was a theatre at one end never in use during our stay, possibly for rain days. One shop inside the lobby rea, ridiculous expensive, except for the hawaiian tropic sun lotion 8 US, only reasonable price I seen there. I suppose they dont want you to get burnt, the sun was full for the 7 days we were there, nice!
Each balcony has a view of the ocean whether it be partial or full, and ofcourse I suggest you try for second level or higher.
SPA - didnt use any of their services, they did not list prices in the inroom brochures. It did look like a great spa, lots to offer. They gave out free 5 minute massages at the pool every morning. The staff was professional.
GYM - Equipment newer than I expected. They had one room dedicated to cycling with lots of bikes. Never crowded, we were usually there around 8 am. The gym was not air conditioned though and the sweat was non stop. Bring a towel, they have water for you there.
The resort was overbooked in the later part of our week and it was difficult to tell. They offered us our last two nights in the RIU Montego Bay with two free excursions (of their choice) The RIU is said to have better service/food, smaller rooms, only 5 minutes from the airport. It was tempting but we decided not to as it was in the middle of the city and we find that feeling of paradise to be more important than service.

ROOMS - Spacious, jacuzzi tub with separate encased rainfall head shower, plenty of toiletries, mini bar with pop, water, two beers, nice private balcony (depending where you are) television in which we only had two CNN channels, others apparently had more in other rooms, cleaned every day no problems. Air Canada gives a complimentary safe, otherwise it is 6US per day, Yikes. We did not hear of any issues of theft for those who did not use a safe. Water was always warm from the shower and pressure good at peak times. We were woken up once by some drunks walking down the hallway in the early morning. Otherwise we could not hear anything from the other rooms.

BUFFET/FOOD - Jamaica has been the best for food in my experience. At the buffet here there was a different theme each night (love the Asian night for hand made sushi!) and always something different. The pasta bar was my favourite. They had a childrens section where the counters were a child's height so they could serve themselves - french fries chicken fingers hot dogs spaghetti ice cream etc... Very accomodating for the kids. The restaurant itself was nice, cool, sometimes you were seated but most times you seat yourself. The drink service is limited in here to juice, wine or water, kind of dissapointing. Everything was fresh, however, we never really ate too late so I cannot comment on that.
Air Canada booked our a la carte's in advance. I dont really have any comments about the a la cartes because we didnt go to many.

Breakfast was great, eggs cook to order as usual and lots to choose from. For each meal we never ended up waiting in line despite the resort being at full capacity, although there did appear to be a wait one hour after dinner opening (8pm) of 3-5 minutes. The staff worked extremely fast but never rushed you along.
NOTE - Men MUST wear pants at the dinner buffet, you cannot wear your dressy shorts or anything else, just PANTS. We seen a lot of people turned around. So a note to you guys dont just bring the one pair for the a la carte, bring another pair or two.
SNACK BAR was open 11-630pm. It wasnt the best but it was nice if you didnt feel like peeling off your bathing suit for the lunch buffet. They usually served the same thing, spaghetti, salad, hotdogs, hamburgers, potatoes.

SERVICE - If you are used to the modest Cubans or the always smiling Dominicans dont expect that in Jamaica. They are generally more aggressive and passive in nature. They dont follow the motto 'service with a smile' as much as we have been used to. It's just their way of business and if you can get past that you should be fine. For the ones that are very nice and accomodating, they will be the ones you'll want to tip for the good service. The tour guides seemed to be the best to be around as they cared more about your satisfaction and ofcourse their tips. They only make about 60 US per week and will let you know that they are expecting a tip from you when you leave, not shy to say it. But they are also very appreciative and give you the fist pump "Respect mon"

TOURS/EXCURIONS - We Ziplined, took a Catarmaran to climb Dunns River Falls and did the Bob Marley tour. The Bob Marley tour has a lot of driving through the mountains and some labelled it as a waste of their day. If you dont particularly like Bob Marley or learning about the culture, it will not be interesting for you. But if you do be sure to do this trip while you are in Runaway Bay or Ocho Rios as they do not offer it anywhere else in Jamaica because of the long drive. The zipline was excellent, great for the family but short and expensive. All tours were about 70-80 US pp. Dunns River Falls and Catarmaran were fun, something everyone must do once. Be sure to bring your water shoes or they will charge you another 5 US just to rent them.
Other tours - ATV's, Dune buggies, Horseback riding, Bobsled through the mountain, mountain biking, swim with the dolphins (217 US for the full package, park entry and one on one swim or 84 US for entry and touching the dolphin from the edge) and some other tours. All very safe, everyone speaks english. I think next time we go we may grab a cab and pay the fee at the door for some tours because of the high package prices.

ENTERTAINMENT- Nightly entertainment was late and not very entertaining. We only went twice so maybe it was better on other nights. Entertainment was located in a small village of shops, all too expensive but fun to look through. The best place to be was the piano bar near the lobby, great bartender there, great drinks and service. Listening to the piano was very relaxing.
The childrens entertainment at 830 was fun, all the kids would be involved an it was great for families. During the day they also had entertainment for the kids near the main beach and daycare. The staff appeared very friendly with them.
Entertainment at the pool everyday was great, darts, bingo, catch the stick, question of the day (all winning a bottle of rum) volleyball, dancing etc... They also had stretching/yoga at the gazebo in the morning.

WEDDING - We seen two weddings at the gazebo, very nice and organized. We also seen some of the rehearsals the day before, the wedding planners know what they are doing there incase anyone was interested.

OTHER - Be sure to have lots of $1US to tip as the resort could rarely change our bills smaller, or pick up Jamaican money, $50 Jamaican is 77 cents US, also very acceptable to tip with. Buy your liquor at duty free at Montego Bay airport on the way home, MUCH cheaper than buying at the resort and in the city. If you dont like kids, dont go. Any questions feel free to ask.

8 Thank Sunchaser1104
chatham
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We traveled to this resort for our 10 year wedding anniversary and loved every minute of it! the restaurants were wonderful but if I had to choice only 3 I would leave out the grill everything was over cooked and no one was raving about their food from there) we were gold star so we had 4 dinners, our room was always clean and the view was breath taking. my tips for this resort are as followed when packing

bring stainless steel mugs the beach bar is a far walk and with the hot sun your drink stays nice and cool

bring a few scented candles for your room for the musty smell if you are picky

2 days out of the week there will be vendors that are allowed onto the beach they are way cheaper then the actual stores and their products are beautiful and really reasonable

if your a smoker bring canadian cigarettes as they are only sell american and are very expensive

bring a deck of cards we enjoyed playing every night after supper and meet a few new friends this way!

bring aloe vera for your sun burns even better I would suggest to pre tan as the sun is very very hot, and it is always windy which can trick you into thinking it's not so hot

bring water shoes for the beach and also you will be saving for renting them if you go to dunnes river falls

excursions
they are very expensive if you go thru the hotel, we actually hired Mighty the taxi driver to personally take us he charged us 20.00 per person for the cab ride and then the park entrance fee was 15.00 per person he was awesome he brought us right to the entrance, showed us where to rent lockers, brought us to the tour guide and "protected us from the sellers"
we also hired him for a 4 hr excursion to shop, see the mountains and to get some authentic food

trust me you do not need to pack any snacks or food for this resort there was always food and gavin make awesome hamburgers at night! prob the best we have ever had!

1 Thank marsmars
Edmundston
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Just got back from Gran bahia Principe. We stayed there from the 27th of March to the 3rd of April and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. Mind you that it's probably not a 5 star but I'd give it a 4 to 4.5. The grouds are very well kept and this place is very big so be prepared to walk. The beach on the far left is beautiful, not the bigest beach I've seen but it's fine to my standard. The beach in front of the resort is man made and is rocky. Pool is huge and very nice, 2 pool bars. Didn't spend to much time there so I could tell you how was the service. Restaurants...Italian we didn't like but Grill and Mikado was very good. Buffet was fine, we always found something that we liked and same for the restaurant at the beach. Jerk chicken was terrific...If you go, this is something you have to try!!
There is some shops on the resorts...prices are about the same has in Ochos Rios...maybe a little higher but the don't take any prices at face value...everything is bargaineable in Jamaica.
Overall service was good and I don't have much to complained about. Our room was well cleaned everyday.

To resume this resort....for a good price this resort is very good and I would probably go back if I can.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!